Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Update From Bryan: Remodeling Blues
      Page: 1 2 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Update From Bryan: Remodeling Blues
 Login/Register 
Steadfast...
posted
Everyone:

I decided to post this as a new topic in General Discussions, rather than have it get lost in the long-running, multi-page "Pub and Coffee Shop" topic.

Our dear friend Bryan Borich posted this update about his living situation on Facebook about an hour ago. I'm passing it on here, because he needs immediate help to make the upcoming transition as easy on him as possible, and without putting too much of a burden on his daughter.

July 9, 2020

Last September we got bought out by a new owner, and had a new management company brought in that specializes in remodels. At that point "rumours" got passed around that we would be evicted, but allowed to move back in once remodeling finished.

Anyway, while the remodeliing and eviction part were essentially correct, they were in no hurry.

Effective yesterday, we were told that if we moved out by the 25th of July we'd get a $1000 bonus, or by 8/20 a $500 bonus. If we stay past 8/20 we'll have to suffer noise and water and electrical shutoffs while they continue the remodeling.

More than half of the residents have already left, and another one is leaving at the end of this month.

None of the remaining residents is a happy camper, because local rent options suck unless you move south of the border. [For those who don't know, Bryan lives in San Diego, California. -L.S.]

The place I found is about $110 more and really outside my price range, but barring problems my daughter can help, and I'm only committing to 3 months at this time.

However the toilet sucks; it's at kids' level. Also, the windows suck. One is painted shut and seems to face a wall anyway, and the other is mostly blocked by a hand-built shed. I'll be far more reliant on my daughter's help there too.

It does have the benefit of a dog I might spend time with though.

Bryan Borich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18699 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
I'd have to add it seems the renter still has the place open.

So I might not get it. If I can't get there tonight.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:

Is that the house with the stuck windows and the low toilet? The toilet chairs work well for height, just not particularly cheap!

Posts: 11043 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Reed:

My son-in-law Jason is a contractor and has a commercial Home Depot account, as well as a commercial Amazon account. He might be able to get Bryan a toilet, if he can find someone local to install it. He's based in Vallejo, California and has an office in Berkeley. My son Dylan works for him and is responsible for CAD drafting of remodels and room additions, etc. as well as obtaining the necessary building permits.

I haven't had a chance to spread the word to my family and local friends who might be able to help. I just now got the OP posted!

Took the liberty of doing some editing and proofreading of Bryan's Facebook post, which I don't usually do for free. But I'm kind of a compulsive proofreader. lol

--Linda

Posts: 18699 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:

Is that the house with the stuck windows and the low toilet? The toilet chairs work well for height, just not particularly cheap!

Yes, though looking the toilets here again, they are low too Smile   :)

Too make things more complicated, my daughters car developed problems.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
Reed:

My son-in-law Jason is a contractor and has a commercial Home Depot account, as well as a commercial Amazon account. He might be able to get Bryan a toilet, if he can find someone local to install it. He's based in Vallejo, California and has an office in Berkeley. My son Dylan works for him and is responsible for CAD drafting of remodels and room additions, etc. as well as obtaining the necessary building permits.

I haven't had a chance to spread the word to my family and local friends who might be able to help. I just now got the OP posted!

Took the liberty of doing some editing and proofreading of Bryan's Facebook post, which I don't usually do for free. But I'm kind of a compulsive proofreader. lol

--Linda

I was just looking at getting one of those 'senior' high rise extenders for the toilet seat. Probably at home depot Smile   :)

bryan j borich

AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
Hi Bryan,

Go to Amazon and enter “toilet seat extender round” (or elongated). They are about $17. We have one that goes around the family for those who have had recent surgery. They just pop in and really give you quite a lift! They are also available at medical supply stores.

Good luck.

Peachy

“Life isn’t fair but the government should be.”...Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

Posts: 60430 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ImPeach:
Hi Bryan,

Go to Amazon and enter “toilet seat extender round” (or elongated). They are about $17. We have one that goes around the family for those who have had recent surgery. They just pop in and really give you quite a lift! They are also available at medical supply stores.

Good luck.

Peachy

We looked at those when I had my knee done. Iirc my insurance paid mine. It’s adjustable and has the side rails. Our Home Depot replacement still hasn’t been installed because we’d be redoing the other bathroom and had to finish it first.

Posts: 11043 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
Here’s another. No rails. No installation.

https://www.rehabmart.com/prod...elevator1-33183.html

A good one is very sturdy. This is five inches high. A lot depends on how close the walls are and if the space is narrow and you need one, you can install a grab bar directly on the wall.

Just trying to save Bryan some $$$. Smile   :)

My son had hip surgery and lent me his for my knee surgery. I didn’t want to give it back.

“Life isn’t fair but the government should be.”...Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

Posts: 60430 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

A good one is very sturdy. This is five inches high. A lot depends on how close the walls are and if the space is narrow and you need one, you can install a grab bar directly on the wall.

My son had hip surgery and lent me his for my knee surgery. I didn’t want to give it back.

Thanks, I did some looking last night.

Regretfully the room I thought I had got taken.

So back to looking.

bryan j borich

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree about saving $$$. Code requires a foot or two each side of the water closet, but our power room doesn’t have enough room for the chair like one. We considered a riser but I didn’t want to be downstairs much anyway!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
This is similar to the one I have, it comes in a couple widths.

https://www.rehabmart.com/prod...-commode1-27675.html

Bryan, sorry about the room, hope a better choice happens.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 places to check tonight, my preference is for the 1st one I'm visiting at the moment, slightly smaller room I think, but it has for me, gorgeous windows. And they have washer/dryer inhouse.
The second is maybe slighter bigger but with what I'd call jailblock windows Smile   :)

and thinking of an Amazon gofundme Smile   :)

because I can get my bed and other things from them.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Found a place, it's about $100 over my limit, but it is a roof over my head.

It's about the best I'm likely to do locally, especially on short notice.

I told my daughter if she can do the extra $100, she said yes, but she's sort of tight already.

And any money I receive from moving out will roughly cover my furniture and such needs.

So amazon gift cards are being accepted to help stretch things out.

bryan j borich

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you have a roof over your head. Being constantly short doesn’t sound good though. Do you have internet and utilities to pay too?

Tell me more about access to transportation and food. And stairs? When do you move?

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got 2 places to check tonight, my preference is for the 1st one I'm visiting at the moment, slightly smaller room I think, but it has for me, gorgeous windows. And they have washer/dryer inhouse.

Bryan,

I hope this is the place you're getting. Windows are super important, especially in hot weather. I know because my windows are terrible, almost as bad as they were two years ago (or was it three?) when I first posted about them. Worse, in some ways. Having a washer and dryer in house is also super important, especially when you have trouble getting to a laundromat.

My daughter lets me order things on her Amazon account, using her credit card. I haven't done it for a while now, mostly because I've been preoccupied with trying to figure out Instacart (she also lets me use her Instacart account). If you email me your address--and your phone number, while I'm thinking about it--I can order the Carex toilet seat extender for you if they have it on Amazon. That's something you can use in either your new place or your old one, if you decide to move back into it. You might like the new place so much you won't want to move back!

--Linda

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Glad to see you have a roof over your head. Being constantly short doesn’t sound good though. Do you have internet and utilities to pay too?

Tell me more about access to transportation and food. And stairs? When do you move?

The $700 is including utils and internet, first thing I asked. But won't be able to confirm on the internet till I move in.

Btw, I should mention there is a language barrier Smile   :)

No stairs thankfully. And the onsite laundry is sort of close.

And yes being constantly short is a bad thing. No easy fixes for that yet.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
quote:

Bryan,

My daughter lets me order things on her Amazon account, using her credit card. I haven't done it for a while now, mostly because I've been preoccupied with trying to figure out Instacart (she also lets me use her Instacart account). If you email me your address--and your phone number, while I'm thinking about it--I can order the Carex toilet seat extender for you if they have it on Amazon. That's something you can use in either your new place or your old one, if you decide to move back into it. You might like the new place so much you won't want to move back!

--Linda

I might be ok on the seat, I tentatively tried their's last night to see If I could sit and get up.

And there is on-site laundry, somewhat close. A couple of hundred feet. Might still be a minor problem as the heat and humidity have hit.

bryan j borich

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Btw, I should mention there is a language barrier

No stairs thankfully. And the onsite laundry is sort of close.

And yes being constantly short is a bad thing. No easy fixes for that yet.

Language barriers aren’t insurmountable, although Arabic can be tough! I’ve rented to Korean and Hispanic and they often had people to call. In Singapore I left the maid notes and her daughter translated for her. She was Korean iirc.

As for the shortfall the sooner you ask the churches etc the better! And you know sometimes social workers have contacts, even for dishes! Are you sure you want to wash dishes?

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
my daughter now gets her desire to practice spanish more.

bryan j borich