Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
      Page: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 73

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
We had the problem with the a/c unit outside, conduit is something they don’t chew through!

Yeah, I thought of that. But then, I can't seem to keep the lawn guy from running over the garden hoses, so I figured I just wouldn't give him something else to aim at!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6171 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
We had the problem with the a/c unit outside, conduit is something they don’t chew through!

Yeah, I thought of that. But then, I can't seem to keep the lawn guy from running over the garden hoses, so I figured I just wouldn't give him something else to aim at!

If it is his lawn mower, it won’t take him long to not run over metal conduit, but then I’d probably bury it a bit deeper!

Posts: 8887 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If it is his lawn mower, it won’t take him long to not run over metal conduit, but then I’d probably bury it a bit deeper!

No dear, MY lawnmower! MY garden hose! MY plant stakes! MY new plants! My plant markers!

But back to the conduit...the part that would have to be buried is the cord from the water container. And frankly, that is just more aggravation than I want to be bothered with right now. And this IS unusual weather for us...

Now don't go telling me how lousy my lawn guy is. He is a charity case. Was shot in the head 30+ years ago plus is suffering loss of sight due to diabetes. And yes, he still drives, but you won't find me getting in the car with him!

But I think last year was his last at mowing the lawn for me. He doesn't know how to clip hedges and I cannot do it any more. He also had a mild heart attack and cannot tolerate the high heat in the dead of Summer. 'Bout time for me to get a professional service for the lawn.

He will still be useful in taking out the trash, running errands, and changing out the AC filter. Stuff like that.

I haven't driven my car since about mid December. I'm finding that I can't put my foot on the brake hard enough nor fast enough to stop the car quick enough in some instances. So it's time to stop tempting fate. The last accident was the cause of my back injury and I don't wanna go there again. Been taking a taxi to the doc and bank when necessary, and Amazon and Instacart deliver the groceries. That is working out pretty well so far. What I'm saving on gas, insurance, and maintenance will help pay for the delivery service.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, there are lots problems with the times and dates and people of the Bible. But then, as Barker makes the point, dear old Ezra, after 70 years in Babylon, had to restore everything upon his return:
...And then there is Jeremiah 8:8 "'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?"

Gotta love it. Look at the dates here:

https://www.gotquestions.org/first-second-Esdras.html

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 2386 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Oh, there are lots problems with the times and dates and people of the Bible. But then, as Barker makes the point, dear old Ezra, after 70 years in Babylon, had to restore everything upon his return:
...And then there is Jeremiah 8:8 "'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?"

Gotta love it. Look at the dates here:

https://www.gotquestions.org/first-second-Esdras.html

Not to mention that there are 3? different lineages given for whomever Ezra was.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to mention that there are 3? different lineages given for whomever Ezra was.

When the Bible is analysed logically, there are so many queries left I have to wonder why the leading clerics insist on standing by the almost-literal interpretation.

Think I told you about a business lunch long ago when I was editor of the local newspaper.

Serendipitously I was seated at a table with a half-dozen clerics from different denominations. No idea how it came up, however I said I was under the impression there were certain topics clerics would not discuss with their congregations.

Every single one of them agreed.

Posts: 2386 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When the Bible is analysed logically, there are so many queries left I have to wonder why the leading clerics insist on standing by the almost-literal interpretation.

Think I told you about a business lunch long ago when I was editor of the local newspaper.

Serendipitously I was seated at a table with a half-dozen clerics from different denominations. No idea how it came up, however I said I was under the impression there were certain topics clerics would not discuss with their congregations.

Every single one of them agreed.

Yeah, you did.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is an abundance of information clerics are privy to that will never be brought to the pulpit nor Bible studies.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that there is an abundance of information clerics are privy to that will never be brought to the pulpit nor Bible studies.

So how does one know what is fact and what is fancy?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So how does one know what is fact and what is fancy?

Unless one makes the effort, one doesn't.

However, there are those who would make something of the text that was never intended, even of those things that could be proven as factual, imho. IOW, they come to the text with the wrong spirit.

The bottom line for me:
1) The Bible is a starting point, not the finish line.
2) Some parts speak positively to the spirit; to those parts pay attention.

Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No dear, MY lawnmower! MY garden hose! MY plant stakes! MY new plants! My plant markers!

But back to the conduit...the part that would have to be buried is the cord from the water container. And frankly, that is just more aggravation than I want to be bothered with right now. And this IS unusual weather for us...

Now don't go telling me how lousy my lawn guy is. He is a charity case. Was shot in the head 30+ years ago plus is suffering loss of sight due to diabetes. And yes, he still drives, but you won't find me getting in the car with him!

But I think last year was his last at mowing the lawn for me. He doesn't know how to clip hedges and I cannot do it any more. He also had a mild heart attack and cannot tolerate the high heat in the dead of Summer. 'Bout time for me to get a professional service for the lawn.

He will still be useful in taking out the trash, running errands, and changing out the AC filter. Stuff like that.

I haven't driven my car since about mid December. I'm finding that I can't put my foot on the brake hard enough nor fast enough to stop the car quick enough in some instances. So it's time to stop tempting fate. The last accident was the cause of my back injury and I don't wanna go there again. Been taking a taxi to the doc and bank when necessary, and Amazon and Instacart deliver the groceries. That is working out pretty well so far. What I'm saving on gas, insurance, and maintenance will help pay for the delivery service.

Sounds like you are planing well and can find some of the help you need. And yes, I’d agree that it’s not worth doing conduit, when you’d use it about every 5 years, on average.

As for the driving, I remember driving when my back hurt so bad I had to lift my leg by the pant cuff. Fortunately, it was an early Sunday morning when that happened, but it was nevertheless scary!

Posts: 8887 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like you are planing well and can find some of the help you need. And yes, I’d agree that it’s not worth doing conduit, when you’d use it about every 5 years, on average.

As for the driving, I remember driving when my back hurt so bad I had to lift my leg by the pant cuff. Fortunately, it was an early Sunday morning when that happened, but it was nevertheless scary!

Yeah, poor Billy is only about 67 but looks and acts much older. In fact, he seems to be showing signs of dementia. Sent him to Chick-fil-a for a Hot Brown the other night. It's only abut 2 1/2 miles from my house, but he called me when he got there to let me know they didn't have CHOCOLATE PIE! He's done that kind of stuff a lot lately...

He'll get his feelings hurt when I tell him I've decided to go with a professional lawn service, but I'm hoping he will get over it pretty quickly.

My back doesn't hurt so bad until I've been sitting for about an hour or so, but stretching or quick movements are a different story entirely. It only takes one to tie my muscles into knots. There is no "second time."

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
My fav tv commercial from last year...and I don't even like country music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRcc1nXi68

Allan will probably like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7yZdOl_e_c

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like you are planing well...

More like skating on thin ice, one might think.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:

...and it was good.

Is it just me, or do those ads seem to run an excessive time?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Eh?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:

...and it was good.

Is it just me, or do those ads seem to run an excessive time?

Both of those are fairly long ones - even for us. Our commercial breaks are usually 2-3 minutes, but they can run as few or many commercials as the time slotted allows.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Eh?

planning

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Eh?

planning

Best laid plans and all that...?

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was thinking more of a car planing along on black ice.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was thinking more of a car planing along on black ice.

Don't even think to about it. Put my Ford Pinto in the ditch, way back when, doing that!

It's kinda funny here whenever there is a forecast of impending bad weather. Everyone rushes to the store. If you aren't one of the early birds, there will be no bread, milk, or beer left on the shelves for you to purchase. And there will be a large dent in the peanut butter, jelly, chips, and lunch meats, as well as sodas.

I try to stay well stocked now so that I don't have to go out when the weather is bad. I keep a stock of peanut butter, sardines, tuna, crackers and mustard on hand, along with a few bottles of cold coffee drinks, for if/when the electricity goes out. And I usually have some carrots, celery, and salad makings in the crisper. I learned a lot from putting that little Pinto in the ditch.