Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
      Page: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 73

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
 Login/Register 
Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
“The mind can never be a servant of God and does not follow his laws. We can never know God through our intellect.”

I’m not sure that this is entirely true! I think our intellect may be a required component.

Posts: 9435 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
“The mind can never be a servant of God and does not follow his laws. We can never know God through our intellect.”

I’m not sure that this is entirely true! I think our intellect may be a required component.

What I can agree to at this point is that God can only be known spiritually. However, spiritual things, at least to some degree, must be processed via the mind/brain/intellect. But the mind is not the servant of God, the spirit is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6301 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:

What I can agree to at this point is that God can only be known spiritually. However, spiritual things, at least to some degree, must be processed via the mind/brain/intellect. But the mind is not the servant of God, the spirit is.

Agreed, I think we are saying the same thing, although you were more thorough!

Posts: 9435 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://ayinyhvh.wordpress.com...llegory-of-creation/

ayinyhvy has far more time on his hands than I have, yet I am legitimately retired.

One does not even need to know how mythology works in sending a message; every human and their dog does that as a matter of course. Watch any parent when their young lad first gets his licence and wants to prove he is the fastest driver in his peer group. I'd guarantee the parent tells him of a dreadful experience they had when they were young and a very dear friend, just their son's age, a really nice lad just like him, killed himself and his beautiful girlfriend, one who was most likely going to be his wife in their highly successful life to come, all by driving too fast.

With luck the lad will get the message, even if there is not a word of truth in the tale.

You will remember my saying there is absolutely no difference between the 15,000yo story of lakes Barrine and Eacham and the 4000yo story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

As I keep saying, too, we have lost the plot completely. Why on earth are we using ancient tales from an archaic, alien, culture to teach 21st century youngsters how to behave?

We'd be infinitely better off if we analysed the Harry Potter stories and stressed the messages contained there. Better still perhaps, the Star Trek stories, especially some of the original ones.

Bear in mind I have worked as coach, tutor, and mentor with hundreds of modern youngsters. Don't remember a single one who was the slightest bit interested in ancient history which, for most of them, began the day before yesterday.

Have always seen sound mythology on the screen. The new Doctor Who script-writers do it all the time, as do many of the other UK script-writers on dramas such as Foyle's War, Morse, and so on.

There is nothing at all new in the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. What we need to do is go right back to the first days, analyse what the myth-creators intended, then rewrite the relevant stories in 21st century speech and context. Tell stories of the Westerners who travel to, and devote their lives to, countries whose people are suffering from war, disease, and famine.

Want death? Tell them about this: The UK charity Save the Children has temporarily suspended its programmes in Afghanistan after an attack on its offices in the city of Jalalabad.
Three members of staff and one soldier were killed in a suicide attack and siege of the building by Islamic State militants.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42808342

We have real-life heroines and heroes, so why not tell their stories? The message is identical.

BTW Why did the Holy Spirit send Jesus into the wilderness to be tested if that Satan were not the Tanakh ha-satan God's loyal angelic Adversary?

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 2626 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
https://ayinyhvh.wordpress.com...llegory-of-creation/

BTW Why did the Holy Spirit send Jesus into the wilderness to be tested if that Satan were not the Tanakh ha-satan God's loyal angelic Adversary?

LOL, You do tickle me some times. I mean, with the Hezekiah/Josiah reforms, along with the known rabbinic redactions to the texts, as well as their tossing away the Book of Enoch, and you want someone to tell you why there are differences in the texts and concepts of Satan in Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity!?

The Book of Enoch was found at Qumran, as you well know; therefore it is known to have a Jewish (not Christian) author, albeit, clearly not a rabinacally acceptable one. And the earliest literature of the Church Fathers contains an abundance of references to Enoch. The Epistle of Barnabus, as well as the second and third century Church Fathers, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Origin, Tertullian, and Clement of Alexandria, make use of the Book of Enoch. Tertullian refers to the Book of Enoch as "Holy Scripture".

The Book of Enoch is quoted and referenced in the NT:
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. (Mat 5:5)
The elect shall possess light, joy and peace, and they shall inherit the earth. (Enoch 5:7)

The Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the son. (John 5:22)
The principal part of the judgment was assigned to him, the Son of man. (Enoch 69:27)

Shall inherit everlasting life. (Mat. 19:29)
Those who will inherit eternal life. (Enoch 40:9)

Woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation. (Luke 6:24)
Woe to you who are rich, for in your riches have you trusted; but from your riches you shall be removed. (Enoch 94:8).

Ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (Mat. 19:28)
I will place each of them on a throne of glory. (Enoch 108:12)

Woe unto that man through whom the Son of man is betrayed! It had been good for that man if he had not been born. (Mat. 26:24)
Where will the habitation of sinners be...who have rejected the Lord of spirits. It would have been better for them, had they never been born. (Enoch 38:2)

Between us and you there is a great gulf fixed. (Luke 16:26)
By a chasm... their souls are separated. (Enoch 22:9,11)

In my Father's house are many mansions. (John 14:2)
In that day shall the Elect One sit upon a throne of glory, and shall choose their conditions and countless habitations. (Enoch 45:3)

That ye may be called the children of light. (John 12:36)
The good from the generation of light. (Enoch 108:11)

The water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. (John 4:14)
All the thirsty drank, and were filled with wisdom, having their habitation with the righteous, the elect, and the holy. (Enoch 48:1)

I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. (Luke 10:18)
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment. (2 Peter 2:4)
And again the Lord said to Raphael: 'Bind Azâzêl hand and foot, and cast him into the darkness: and make an opening in the desert, which is in Dûdâêl, and cast him therein. 5. And place upon him rough and jagged rocks, and cover him with darkness, and let him abide there for ever, and cover his face that he may not see light. (1 Enoch 10:4-5)

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches, which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. (Jude 1:14-15)
And behold, he comes with myriads of the holy to pass judgment upon them, and will destroy the impious, and will call to account all flesh for everything the sinners and the impious have done and committed against him. (Enoch 1:9)

Whether your rabbinic Satan is a good guy doing the bidding of God, or fallen as in the NT per Luke 10:18 And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven," or the OT as per Isaiah 14:12 " “How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low," or Isaiah 26:13 "By His Spirit He has garnished the heavens; His hand has formed the crooked serpent," the NT Satan of Enoch is an accuser who is finally shut up and thrown down:

1 Enoch 40:
1 "And after that I saw thousands of thousands and ten thousand times ten thousand, I saws multitude beyond number and reckoning, who stood before the Lord of Spirits.
2 And on the four sides of the Lord of Spirits I saw four presences, different from those that sleep not, and I learnt their names: for the angel that went with me made known to me their names, and showed me all the hidden things.
3 And I heard the voices of those four presences as they uttered praises before the Lord of glory.
4 The first voice blesses the Lord of Spirits for ever and ever.
5 And the second voice I heard blessing the Elect One and the elect ones who hang upon the Lord of Spirits.
6 And the third voice I heard pray and intercede for those who dwell on the earth and supplicate in the name of the Lord of Spirits.
7 And I heard the fourth voice FENDING OFF the SATANS and FORBIDDING them to come before the Lord of Spirits to ACCUSE them who dwell on the earth.
8 After that I asked the angel of peace who went with me, who showed me everything that is hidden: "Who are these four presences which I have seen and whose words I have heard and written down?"
9 And he said to me: "This first is Michael, the merciful and long-suffering: and the second, who is set over all the diseases and all the wounds of the children of men, is Raphael: and the third, who is set over all the powers, is Gabriel: and the fourth, who is set over the repentance unto hope of those who inherit eternal life, is named Phanuel."
10 And these are the four angels of the Lord of Spirits and the four voices I heard in those days."

And then there is Revelation 5:10-12 "You have made them into a kingdom, priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.” 11 Then I looked, and I heard the voices of many angels and living creatures and elders encircling the throne, and their number was myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands. 12 In a loud voice they said: “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and blessing!” and Revelation 20:1-3 "Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, the ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 And he threw him into the Abyss, shut it, and sealed it over him, so that he could not deceive the nations until the thousand years were complete. After that, he must be released for a brief period of time.

There IS a connection between the OT and NT Satan, but you shouldn't expect the NT version to be the same as rabbinic Judaism's. Zodiac, my dear Watson, the Zodiac!

Just came upon this while poking about, and now it appears we may have to rewrite our notions of when man migrated?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/vide...aKGl?ocid=spartanntp

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I keep saying, too, we have lost the plot completely. Why on earth are we using ancient tales from an archaic, alien, culture to teach 21st century youngsters how to behave?

No, we haven't lost the plot. The message is very simple: "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

You and I both know that for some, it doesn't matter how simple or current the message, in every generation there are those who thumb their nose at the wisdom of the elders and leave broken hearts, bodies, and lives in the wake of their selfish desire to do as they see fit in their own eyes. What we are lacking are adults who've manage to get over themselves (selfishness) and put their children first by teaching them not to be selfish to the detriment of others. You cannot teach what you have not learned.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
And sometimes it takes a long time for kids, who have been taught, to learn the lesson "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

This is a story of Taha Muntajibuddin's childhood encounter with one of the California Turpin children at school, then the adult Taha Muntajibuddin's realization of just how much of a punk he had been when he writes: "The resounding lesson here is a simple one, something that we're taught from the very beginning: be nice. Teach your children to be nice. If you see someone that's isolated, befriend them. If you see someone that's marginalized, befriend them. If you see someone that's different, befriend them. We can never completely put ourselves in others' shoes nor can we completely understand the circumstances that one is brought up in, but a simple act of kindness and acceptance may be the ray of hope that that person needs."

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ng-guilt/1064116001/

More at:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...mmunity-college.html

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Allan,
Like bacon?

Like Whisky?

Ever made jam?

Gentleman's Whiskey Bacon Jam:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/re...-s-whiskey-bacon-jam

Yeah, I know, they spelled it with an 'e' Busted!   :busted: Try it anywaySmile   :)

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL, You do tickle me some times. I mean, with the Hezekiah/Josiah reforms, along with the known rabbinic redactions to the texts, as well as their tossing away the Book of Enoch, and you want someone to tell you why there are differences in the texts and concepts of Satan in Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity!?

My apologies yet again for not expressing myself effectively.

All I wanted was to know why any educated genuine Christian would not have to ask why God (Trinity part 1) orders God's Holy Spirit (Trinity part 2) to direct God's Trinity part 3 to be subjected to being tested by God's sworn enemy?

Can you tell me why he did?

quote:
Just came upon this while poking about, and now it appears we may have to rewrite our notions of when man migrated?

Saw that on SBS news last night.

It is just the tip of the iceberg.

You will have noted reference to last year's Morocco finds which, while not yet established, is on much the same track.

But there is more to come. For some reason the relevant university has called a halt on research off the north Queensland coast where they have found carbon deposits which just might relate to the forest burn-offs generated by the first Australians when they arrived here, creating grassland plains for their preferred prey.

Problem is, those carbon deposits are dated some 150,000 years ago.

http://nationalunitygovernment...ensland-140000-years
We received a message to say that Dr Peter Kershaw has 'shelved' this research with no reasons to explain why. However carbon dating science has been revised since then and possibly other scientific techniques have developed also. But we can image the humiliation he must have received from his fellow colleagues from the scientific world who still believe that First Nations people from this continent came out of Africa 50,000 years ago. However there is much evidence (link is external) emerging to prove that theory has gaping holes, including the founder and most powerful advocate for the theory, Paleoanthropologist, Christopher Stringer who has said in 2011 that 'I've come around to thinking there wasn't a simple origin (link is external)'. Custodians of the Dreamtime stories say that their culture has been on this continent since 'The Dreaming'.

Posts: 2626 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, we haven't lost the plot. The message is very simple: "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."
You and I both know that for some, it doesn't matter how simple or current the message, in every generation there are those who thumb their nose at the wisdom of the elders and leave broken hearts, bodies, and lives in the wake of their selfish desire to do as they see fit in their own eyes. What we are lacking are adults who've manage to get over themselves (selfishness) and put their children first by teaching them not to be selfish to the detriment of others. You cannot teach what you have not learned.

As you'll expect, that is not how I see it, yet your final sentence sums it up beautifully?????

You'll remember my paraphrase of Confucius: the ruler/leader must be honourable as this ensures that all those under him also will be honourable.

How many honourable leaders do we have today? Can you name any country which has one? Maybe Macron and Trudeau?

Our Aussie PM and Opposition leader both seem honourable, however I question just how capable they are.

As for most of the rest...how many are facing charges of graft and corruption, many with the police and courts in their corrupt gold-lined pockets?

quote:
What we are lacking are adults who've manage to get over themselves (selfishness) and put their children first by teaching them not to be selfish to the detriment of others.

But then you go on to say: You cannot teach what you have not learned.

Exactly.

Those parents were not taught, so they have nothing to pass on to their youngsters.

That applies equally to parents who do want to do the right thing but do not know where to start.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with drinking it neat, thank you.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:

quote:
Allan: My apologies yet again for not expressing myself effectively.

All I wanted was to know why any educated genuine Christian would not have to ask why God (Trinity part 1) orders God's Holy Spirit (Trinity part 2) to direct God's Trinity part 3 to be subjected to being tested by God's sworn enemy?

Can you tell me why he did?

Forgiven.

Well, I did ask the question and therefore am not a Trinitarian. So I know you are not asking me to answer the question as a Trinitarian! My question was worded something like If Jesus is God-the-Son, why did he have to be [I]driven into the desert and tested, and tested for what purpose?[/I]

Their responses were varied, but essentially silly things like:
"To make sure he was tempted like us."
"To make sure he wouldn't try to usurp God like Satan did."
"To prove he was the Son of God."

When pressed about God not being tempted, they would say something like, "Jesus set aside his deity and therefore had to depend on the Holy Spirit to direct him." To that, my question was "OK, but God is omnipresent, which means there is no place where God is not, and since Jesus is 100% God and 100% man, he too was omnipresent. So where could Jesus have put his deity so that he had no access to it?" Basically, they stumbled all over themselves because they hadn't thought of that, but a few of the responses went something like:

"He didn't grasp it."
"He just didn't acknowledge it/didn't act on it."
"He only acted on the human part."

So I would say something like, "So Jesus was born as God, but the whole time he was ministering on earth he was only human, right? He is God only when he is being born or in heaven, so what tis the point of him being God?"

"You just don't understand!"
"You don't have the Spirit, so you can't understand!"
"It's a mystery and you have to accept it on faith!"

However, you will notice that in the NT story, Jesus is called the Son of God (Israel is called the Son of God (“When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.")), Jesus was baptized in the Jordan (Israel was baptized in the Reed Sea), Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness (Israel spent 40 years in the wilderness), Jesus was hungry (Israel was hungry)...

quote:
JR: Just came upon this while poking about, and now it appears we may have to rewrite our notions of when man migrated?

Allan: Saw that on SBS news last night.

It is just the tip of the iceberg.

You will have noted reference to last year's Morocco finds which, while not yet established, is on much the same track.

But there is more to come. For some reason the relevant university has called a halt on research off the north Queensland coast where they have found carbon deposits which just might relate to the forest burn-offs generated by the first Australians when they arrived here, creating grassland plains for their preferred prey.

Problem is, those carbon deposits are dated some 150,000 years ago.

http://nationalunitygovernment...ensland-140000-years
We received a message to say that Dr Peter Kershaw has 'shelved' this research with no reasons to explain why. However carbon dating science has been revised since then and possibly other scientific techniques have developed also. But we can image the humiliation he must have received from his fellow colleagues from the scientific world who still believe that First Nations people from this continent came out of Africa 50,000 years ago. However there is much evidence (link is external) emerging to prove that theory has gaping holes, including the founder and most powerful advocate for the theory, Paleoanthropologist, Christopher Stringer who has said in 2011 that 'I've come around to thinking there wasn't a simple origin (link is external)'. Custodians of the Dreamtime stories say that their culture has been on this continent since 'The Dreaming'.

Guess there will be more to come...

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
This is a story of Taha Muntajibuddin's childhood encounter with one of the California Turpin children at school...[QUOTE/]

Dreadful.

Raises lots of whys, doesn't it.

Why did the teachers ignore this?

Why were the police and other authorities not told?

Why did neighbouring neighbours not report this?

Where were all the local Christians and other decent people?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As you'll expect, that is not how I see it, yet your final sentence sums it up beautifully?????

You'll remember my paraphrase of Confucius: the ruler/leader must be honourable as this ensures that all those under him also will be honourable.

How many honourable leaders do we have today? Can you name any country which has one? Maybe Macron and Trudeau?

Our Aussie PM and Opposition leader both seem honourable, however I question just how capable they are.

As for most of the rest...how many are facing charges of graft and corruption, many with the police and courts in their corrupt gold-lined pockets?

quote:
What we are lacking are adults who've manage to get over themselves (selfishness) and put their children first by teaching them not to be selfish to the detriment of others.

But then you go on to say: You cannot teach what you have not learned.

Exactly.

Those parents were not taught, so they have nothing to pass on to their youngsters.

That applies equally to parents who do want to do the right thing but do not know where to start.

We have to start somewhere if we are to save our children, on that we agree. But I just don't see how a whole 'nother mythology will fix the problem. They still have to be taught. Which means the elders will have to learn first. And while it may seem logical to start from the top down, it is likely going to have to be a bottom up method since so many of the elders are either ignorant or corrupt?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll stick with drinking it neat, thank you.

Pork on the side...?

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pork on the side...?

Not sure how Aussie slang works in the USA.

However, I can't remember the last time I had a bit of pork, especially on the side.

Will have to get back to you on your other post. The move to fix things has to start somewhere, and for me it will be the decent people who finally make the first move.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a story of Taha Muntajibuddin's childhood encounter with one of the California Turpin children at school...[QUOTE/]

Dreadful.

Raises lots of whys, doesn't it.

Why did the teachers ignore this?

Why were the police and other authorities not told?

Why did neighbouring neighbours not report this?

Where were all the local Christians and other decent people?

Yeah, LOTS of whys. This is gonna be a real horror of a case for the children in the court case(s).

The parents home-schooled the children. They slept during the day and were awake at night, therefore few neighbors ever saw them. They have never been socialize amongst other children, not even amongst their cousins. Almost half the kids are actually adult-aged (oldest is 29), but they have absolutely no social skills and no idea of how to integrate themselves into society. There was one story that stated the children had no idea what/who the police were nor did they know what pills/meds were. Hadn't seen a doctor in YEARS.

IOW, the parents isolated the children. No TV. No radio. No Computer access. No friends.

The only time anything really could have raised a red flag, it seems, was when they moved. The rental properties were left an absolute mess, with the stench of urine and feces where the children were kept tied/chained up, and a couple of dead dogs left in one home they moved from. But the rental property owners would have had to report it. Would not likely have done much good at that point since the renters were long gone and already in another state. One would have had to have something concrete, like eye-witness or similar evidence of actual abuse, to get the feds (to cross state lines) involved. Lots of neighbors are second guessing themselves at this point, but as they said, they thought the situation was odd, but saw nothing that could be reported as abuse.

Heart wrenchingly sad. If the parents aren't found to be insane, and are found guilty, they will never get out of prison.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Pork on the side...?

Not sure how Aussie slang works in the USA.

However, I can't remember the last time I had a bit of pork, especially on the side.

Will have to get back to you on your other post. The move to fix things has to start somewhere, and for me it will be the decent people who finally make the first move.

Oops! I had no idea that was also a rather vulgar slang (just looked it up). That certainly isn't how I meant it! I can be a little bold, ya know, but I try real hard not to cross the line into vulgar.

And yeah, decent people. Decent people willing to fight the corruption sufficiently to allow for laws requiring parents to be educated on how to raise children.

I keep thinking that we in the US are heading toward socialism, and with that we may eventually get to the point that the rights of the many will get an opportunity to take precedence over individual rights.

But currently, you can be dumb as dirt and poor as a mud hut in a deluge, but you have the right to have children, even if you cannot care for nor safeguard them, nor support them emotionally and financially.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do plan, however, to finish off my pork belly..

Isn't that canabalism?

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Report This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is in balance with intuition. The rational mind/intellect can never see God, but it can test what we think we experience to double check it.

It's a tough balance though.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Report This Post