Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
      Page: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 73

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
 Login/Register 
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:

Do plan, however, to finish off my pork belly..

Isn't that canabalism?

Either way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1597 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is in balance with intuition. The rational mind/intellect can never see God, but it can test what we think we experience to double check it.
It's a tough balance though.

Problem with that, of course, is we are reading 2000BC mythology with 2000AD eyes.

Can't be done.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It is in balance with intuition. The rational mind/intellect can never see God, but it can test what we think we experience to double check it.

Problem with that, of course, is we are reading 2000BC mythology with 2000AD eyes.

Can't be done.

What can't be done?

Bryan, Reed, and I are talking "experiencing" God, not mythology... There isn't a single one of us who would confuse the two. We ain't the posse, ya know!

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4246 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
What can't be done?

Bryan, Reed, and I are talking "experiencing" God, not mythology... There isn't a single one of us who would confuse the two. We ain't the posse, ya know!

Let's forget the posse on this. We are in far deeper water than they'd ever experience.

We are agreed on one thing, there is something there many experience that we can not explain.

However, why must that experience be referred to in 4000yo+ terms?

Isn't it time we accepted just about everything has totally changed in just the past 200 years or so?

Let's join Doctor Who when his TARDIS arrives complete with Abraham as passenger. Being the Doctor, he has made sure Abraham understands exactly what time he has arrived in, some 6000 years after the universe was created and 4000 years after Abraham was born. The Doctor has even ensured Abraham understands those numbers. We will say nothing at all about our 15,000,000,000yo universe.

He drops Abraham off right where he can see our great oil tankers, with everything from Airbuses to Lear jets and helicopters flying overhead. We drive him to Trump Tower in a stretch limousine, telling him on the way we already have put humans on the moon, have a permanent space station, and hope to begin settlements on Mars in the not too far-distant future.

Then we explain that, of the 7.6 billion people on our planet, some 14 million or so are Jews, most of whom live in the USA. The only peoples whose numbers could be seen as the stars in the sky or the sand on the beach are the Chinese and Indians.

We explain to him what we know about natural events such as earthquakes, lightning and thunder, disease, shifts in weather patterns, the causes of wars, and so on, none of which need a deity.

How do you think he will cope?

https://judaism.stackexchange....en-would-number-like

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:
What can't be done?

quote:
Allan: Let's forget the posse on this. We are in far deeper water than they'd ever experience.

We are agreed on one thing, there is something there many experience that we can not explain.

Abraham probably grappled with the same issue. Problem was and is, there are no words known amongst we finite beings sufficient in referencing the Infinite.

quote:
Allan: Isn't it time we accepted just about everything has totally changed in just the past 200 years or so?

Why? We still have no words sufficient for the Infinite and we are told the Infinite does not change.

quote:
Allan: Let's join Doctor Who when his TARDIS arrives complete with Abraham as passenger. Being the Doctor, he has made sure Abraham understands exactly what time he has arrived in, some 6000 years after the universe was created and 4000 years after Abraham was born. The Doctor has even ensured Abraham understands those numbers. We will say nothing at all about our 15,000,000,000yo universe.

He drops Abraham off right where he can see our great oil tankers, with everything from Airbuses to Lear jets and helicopters flying overhead. We drive him to Trump Tower in a stretch limousine, telling him on the way we already have put humans on the moon, have a permanent space station, and hope to begin settlements on Mars in the not too far-distant future.

Then we explain that, of the 7.6 billion people on our planet, some 14 million or so are Jews, most of whom live in the USA. The only peoples whose numbers could be seen as the stars in the sky or the sand on the beach are the Chinese and Indians.

We explain to him what we know about natural events such as earthquakes, lightning and thunder, disease, shifts in weather patterns, the causes of wars, and so on, none of which need a deity.

By crossing his eyes and chuckling.

He will ask you why you are still trying to build the tower of babble to reach the stars when you can't even see eternity in the face of the children playing at your feet.

And he will patiently explain to you that the Jews are not all Israel. They never have been nor ever will be. And then he will explain to you that if you will carefully read the texts, nowhere does it say that in any single generation will Israel be numbered as the sands of the sea; but over the millennia they will certainly be more numerous than most have the ability to comprehend. Another look at the texts will show you that in no way, shape, or form, does it address the numbers and lineages of the other peoples, nor state that Israel will outnumber those peoples.

Then he will explain to you that you are judging what you don't know by what little you do know. He will tell you of planets and universes you have never seen nor even heard of. Emerald planets with ruby trees, golden rivers, and purple skies, with technological advances beyond your imagination. And those are just the elements we barely have words to describe. Universes larger and more grand than we are even capable dreaming of, never mind the words to describe them.

And then he will plainly and unequivocally tell you that the reason many people experience what they cannot fully put to words is because there are no, nor ever will be, words of the finite sufficient for the Infinite. It is meant to be a humbling experience, so be humble. He will tell you that when he spoke those words 4000 years ago, they were insufficient even then for his people, and 4000 years later, we still do not have the words, nor will there be words sufficient in another 4000 years.

He will likely also tell you that inventing new mythologies will do nothing more than divorce future generations from the ancient revelations even more than the current generation is divorced from that generation of 4000 years ago. The thread will have become so completely lost that we will be little more than babbling idiots in our own ears, still trying to experience the Infinite through finite words.

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's forget the posse on this. We are in far deeper water than they'd ever experience.

Isn't it time we accepted just about everything has totally changed in just the past 200 years or so?

Let's join Doctor Who when his TARDIS arrives complete with Abraham as passenger. Being the Doctor, he has made sure Abraham understands exactly what time he has arrived in, some 6000 years after the universe was created and 4000 years after Abraham was born. The Doctor has even ensured Abraham understands those numbers. We will say nothing at all about our 15,000,000,000yo universe.

Well if you go back over 12000 years ago it wouldn't surprise me if Atlantis/Stonehenge/pyramid people had better "sonic screwdriver-like" technology than we do!

Maybe the Doctor will find out that Abraham was channeling that "angel" that took Bill Potts away? God/Brahman of course is the time vortex itself (unknown to the Doctor, a Clifford algebra tensor product Penrose-Zizzi-Smith superposition consciousness at the Planck scale).

Time in our below the Planck scale realm is of course the Doctor's timey-whimey ball (an RP1xS3 Cartesian product of a time disk and a space hypersphere) that becomes wibbly wobbly via the conformal group.

As for how channeling angels works; it's actually more like how the Doctor talked to Rose in the parallel universe; you have to triangulate with a far away radio source (supernova).

Posts: 900 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can't be done.

What can't be done?

Thanks, I thought I couldn’t have even implied that I was talking about anything other than experiences!

Posts: 5182 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What can't be done?

As long as we are forgetting the only language we sort of have to talk about the infinite, as far as experiences, should we also give up the newer yet English language? It seems there isn’t a completely common agreement in usage there either!

Posts: 5182 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can't be done.

What can't be done?

Thanks, I thought I couldn’t have even implied that I was talking about anything other than experiences!

Sometimes I think our dear Allan is so singularly focused on changing/updating the mythology that he really doesn't hear what we are saying.

Oh, almost finished 2 more teddies and have started on a dachshund, but I'm finding something wrong with the pattern. It is worked from the nose to the tail, with the legs and ears added on later. But the neck simply will not flow into the body for some reason. Gonna have to work the body separate from the head and put a collar on it to hide the fact that I added the head and body together. But it is SO CUTE!

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:

Well if you go back over 12000 years ago it wouldn't surprise me if Atlantis/Stonehenge/pyramid people had better "sonic screwdriver-like" technology than we do!

Maybe the Doctor will find out that Abraham was channeling that "angel" that took Bill Potts away? God/Brahman of course is the time vortex itself (unknown to the Doctor, a Clifford algebra tensor product Penrose-Zizzi-Smith superposition consciousness at the Planck scale).

Time in our below the Planck scale realm is of course the Doctor's timey-whimey ball (an RP1xS3 Cartesian product of a time disk and a space hypersphere) that becomes wibbly wobbly via the conformal group.

As for how channeling angels works; it's actually more like how the Doctor talked to Rose in the parallel universe; you have to triangulate with a far away radio source (supernova).

Sheesh, you hurt my head sometimes!

But you like that doncha?

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh in this case for sure I love waxing Doctor Who as much as Allan. Still can't figure out exactly what Abraham was doing during that critical Amarna period but there are very interesting clues floating around. If only the Doctor could channel me just a couple more little clues.

Posts: 900 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:

Oh in this case for sure I love waxing Doctor Who as much as Allan. Still can't figure out exactly what Abraham was doing during that critical Amarna period but there are very interesting clues floating around. If only the Doctor could channel me just a couple more little clues.

LOL, you are quite adorable!

Hey, but don't let it go to your head, ya hear   Wink   ;)

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I think our dear Allan is so singularly focused on changing/updating the mythology that he really doesn't hear what we are saying.

Oh, you sweet dear heart. My prayers have been answered.

That is so close to my eternal refrain that it immediately brought floods of tears to my eyes.

Be it the religious mindset or the orthodox materialist-science mindset, that has been my cry for more decades than I care to remember.

If only they would hear what I am actually saying, instead of reframing it in their minds to suit their own Eagleman world model.

Even my saying what anyone believes is none of my business so long as it does not interfere with me and mine seems to disappear in the ether.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
“The mind can never be a servant of God and does not follow his laws. We can never know God through our intellect.”

I’m not sure that this is entirely true! I think our intellect may be a required component.

Our problem is we have allowed ancient, unknowing minds to shape how we think.

As a consequence we have lost our way.

How often have you seen modern commentators say we need to learn more about the Hindu religion, one which has so much in common with modern minds that quantum physicists are themselves looking there?

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, we haven't lost the plot. The message is very simple: "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

Which was not only known and understood thousands of years before we began believing in deities, it was actually a routine part of the lives of most Great Apes.

The tribe must come first.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:
No, we haven't lost the plot. The message is very simple: "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

Which was not only known and understood thousands of years before we began believing in deities, it was actually a routine part of the lives of most Great Apes.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I did ask the question and therefore am not a Trinitarian. So I know you are not asking me to answer the question as a Trinitarian! My question was worded something like If Jesus is God-the-Son, why did he have to be [I]driven into the desert and tested, and tested for what purpose?[/I]
Their responses were varied, but essentially silly things like:...

You have my sympathy.

My point, of course, is that God sending the all-too-human Jesus to be tested by his loyal Adversary is straightforward Judaism.

Nothing at all to do with Christianity.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Abraham probably grappled with the same issue. Problem was and is, there are no words known amongst we finite beings sufficient in referencing the Infinite.

That would certainly have been the case in Abraham's time.

No longer.

quote:

Why? ... and we are told the Infinite does not change.

Who told us that and when?

...How do you think (Abraham) will cope?

quote:
By crossing his eyes and chuckling.

It will be weeks before Abraham would be capable of opening his mouth. While he most likely would be imagining himself in Heaven, it is nothing at all what he expects. He would be incapable of understanding one simple thing; imagine him watching someone talk to another's image on a phone.

quote:
He will ask you why you are still trying to build the tower of babble to reach the stars when you can't even see eternity in the face of the children playing at your feet.

I'd respond by telling him my daughters are university graduates, partners in running their own business, and not long ago we had a woman as Prime Minister of our country. Even better, I'd tell him we have had a Queen as ultimate ruler for the past 66 years and she is still going, having celebrated her 70th wedding anniversary with her subservient male consort.

Then I'd ask this patriarch what he can tell me about any of his own daughters.

quote:
He will tell you of planets and universes you have never seen nor even heard of. Emerald planets with ruby trees, golden rivers, and purple skies, with technological advances beyond your imagination. And those are just the elements we barely have words to describe. Universes larger and more grand than we are even capable dreaming of, never mind the words to describe them.

If you can find even a smidgen of a hint that Abraham understood stars, every astronomer in the world would be lining up at your door to buy you a round of drinks.

Not only would Abraham tell you stars are lights reflecting from Heaven, he also would insist Mars is a wandering star and we would have no chance of catching up with it.

quote:
Then he will explain to you that you are judging what you don't know by what little you do know.

I don't know a fraction of what we know today. He could not even start.

quote:
And then he will plainly and unequivocally tell you that the reason many people experience what they cannot fully put to words is because there are no, nor ever will be, words of the finite sufficient for the Infinite. It is meant to be a humbling experience, so be humble. He will tell you that when he spoke those words 4000 years ago, they were insufficient even then for his people, and 4000 years later, we still do not have the words, nor will there be words sufficient in another 4000 years.

Never say never.

What arguments will he be able to put up against mine?

quote:
He will likely also tell you that inventing new mythologies will do nothing more than divorce future generations from the ancient revelations even more than the current generation is divorced from that generation of 4000 years ago. The thread will have become so completely lost that we will be little more than babbling idiots in our own ears, still trying to experience the Infinite through finite words.

Actually, once he comes to terms with reality (provided he can) you will find he would agree with me completely. After all, his mythologies related only to what was then known. They said nothing at all about the mythologies of the hunter-gatherers, though I don't doubt there were fragments of those if we knew where to look for them. I reckon Gilgamesh's close friend was based on a Neanderthal.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm thinking you presume way too much in determining what was known, understood, and believed by our ancient predecessors.

And of course, since you insist that humanity invented the deities, you are predisposed to believing that the tribe was the all important entity and that the only purpose of the golden rule was its preservation.

For me, the Zodiac predates all of 'em and God predates the Zodiac. Since God is family, so to speak, in that God is Father and Mother of all, treating God's family members (not just one's own) as such would be a very godly thing to do for all of humanity, not just your tribe.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well, I did ask the question and therefore am not a Trinitarian. So I know you are not asking me to answer the question as a Trinitarian! My question was worded something like If Jesus is God-the-Son, why did he have to be [I]driven into the desert and tested, and tested for what purpose?[/I]
Their responses were varied, but essentially silly things like:...

You have my sympathy.

My point, of course, is that God sending the all-too-human Jesus to be tested by his loyal Adversary is straightforward Judaism.

Nothing at all to do with Christianity.

In order to fit my understanding of the situation, I would 1st, change "Christianity" to churchianity, and 2nd, I would change "loyal Adversary" to read simply adversary, and thirdly, I would change "Judaism" to Original Biblical Theology. I would do that because Christianity predates Judaism, and churchianity, and Original Biblical Theology predates Christianity.

IOW, my sentence would read: God was sending the man Jesus to be tested by the adversary in accordance with original biblical theology, whereby he becomes The King, a Son of God, and Lord, in contradiction to churchianity's Trinitarian theology.