Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 73

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMS:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
I'm saving money on Amazon with the interesting people gone who recommended good books and ideas.

I'm trying to read "The Invention of the Bible and Talmuds" by Donald Akenson. But after reading Barker, I'm finding it a bit of a 'dry' read.

And...I haven't ordered a single book since I got banned. Not that I need any, mind you. I have plenty that I haven't gotten around to yet. But that forum was a money maker for them while we were there simply because of the number of books we bought.

I just messed up a post to Linda. Oh, well.. Hey, that sounds like a good title. Too bad it is dry. I'll have to see if I can read some of it on Google.

You are good friends with Barker, right? Wink   ;) Where is she hiding Mother of the Lord volume 2 ?

Not that I have gotten through every page of Volume one... Just enough to be dangerous. 8)

LOL, I look for Volume II at least once a month!

I really do hope she will publish it, but she is well into her 80s and may not be quite up to it these days...:-( That would really break my heart 'cause I'm so looking forward to it.

Akenson has nothing on Barker. It was so dry I needed a gallon of iced tea to get it down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you saw my note, then obviously I did get it posted--but not on the thread I thought I posted it on!

This is the topic I'm currently reading. It's quite a long one--goes up to page 62. Are you posting on any others? If so, which ones?

--Linda

--Linda

CMS: "I'm kind of just posting here and there. From the list that shows up on the right side of the Amazon page of top titles with new posts.. A little back and forth with Vicki on one thread. I like her, so I hope she doesn't mind me bugging her. I have stopped paying attention to the topics, since no one seems to stay on topic. Vicki and I were at the point of Hezekiah's boil and if it was the plague could it fit Isaiah 53."[/QUOTE]

I take it you've read Barker's paper on Hezekiah's Boil?

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
That's a great association of images...went right past me at first! Very creative and original.
--Linda[/QUOTE]

Allan: Did you see my post on the Rainbow Serpent and the eruptions which caused the caldera lakes on the Atherton Tableland?

Geologically established, those eruptions some 15,000 years ago led EXACTLY to the same type of mythology we see related to the Bible's much-later Sodom and Gomorrah mythology.

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3556 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Freshie...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you saw my note, then obviously I did get it posted--but not on the thread I thought I posted it on!

This is the topic I'm currently reading. It's quite a long one--goes up to page 62. Are you posting on any others? If so, which ones?

--Linda

--Linda

CMS: "I'm kind of just posting here and there. From the list that shows up on the right side of the Amazon page of top titles with new posts.. A little back and forth with Vicki on one thread. I like her, so I hope she doesn't mind me bugging her. I have stopped paying attention to the topics, since no one seems to stay on topic. Vicki and I were at the point of Hezekiah's boil and if it was the plague could it fit Isaiah 53."

I take it you've read Barker's paper on Hezekiah's Boil?[/QUOTE]

A while ago, but recently her paper on the 4th servant's song. She discusses the boil and the plague. The Chabad.org Bible on Isaiah 53 uses plague for the servant.

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
A while ago, but recently her paper on the 4th servant's song. She discusses the boil and the plague. The Chabad.org Bible on Isaiah 53 uses plague for the servant

Hmmm, IIRC, Chabad uses the MS (redacted text)?

I would go with the LXX...

And if you are so inclined, The Older Testament by Barker is a great reference as to much of what was redacted.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can call me whatever you want. I've been called many things by many people. Just don't call me late for strawberry shortcake.

I refuse to call you late for anything.

Years of patience and self-denial ensure my timing is always spot on

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3556 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Freshie...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A while ago, but recently her paper on the 4th servant's song. She discusses the boil and the plague. The Chabad.org Bible on Isaiah 53 uses plague for the servant

Hmmm, IIRC, Chabad uses the MS (redacted text)?

I would go with the LXX...

And if you are so inclined, The Older Testament by Barker is a great reference as to much of what was redacted.

Thanks, JR I will check out the Older Testament.

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, JR I will check out the Older Testament.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Emerging...
Picture of robinhood
posted Hide Post
You all talk a foreign language and I am monolingual.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”

Posts: 66 | Location: PacNorthwest | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robinhood:

Huh?

Just ask. We will explain?

Emerging...
Picture of robinhood
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by robinhood:

Huh?

Just ask. We will explain?

Nah. I am not sure I want those new (old?) fangled words to fry my brain. But thanks anyway.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nah. I am not sure I want those new (old?) fangled words to fry my brain. But thanks anyway.

OK fine.

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Troll Smackdown of the Day: This happened yesterday afternoon (since it's now after midnight) in the original pub on Amazon. I'm very proud of this one, even though nobody else posting on the thread seemed to notice.

DLM: Another way to look at it is; that without those "trolls" in the Posse, you would have no way to increase your understanding, love and longsuffering.

They are particularly hard people to love, but "only love can break their hearts, and only love can mend them."

Linda: Sounds like a misplaced effort to me. It seems to me the Posse is too far gone to be mended by love, but even if it's (theoretically) possible, there are other people who are also hard to love, but are much more worth the effort than a pack of howling brainwashed trolls.

One obvious example: the homeless people in my neighborhood--and we have a lot of them here. As soon as some of the domestic chaos I'm currently dealing with settles down, that's one area where I intend to focus my efforts. Someone else with more compassion to spare can waste it on the Posse if they so desire. I am emphatically NOT interested!

Born-Again Troll: You sound like Libby and JR all rolled into one. I am sure your "Christian" heart can withstand so much "love"

Linda: I don't recall who Libby is, but JR is a good friend of mine. I take it as a compliment if I sound like her.

And just for the record--I am not a Christian, Bubbaleh.

If anyone wants to read the exchange in context, it's here.

--Linda

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18702 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Report This Post
Emerging...
Picture of robinhood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:

If anyone wants to read the exchange in context, it's here.

--Linda

Reading the original was enough thanks you very much. I have read their posts for way too long now and still face palm the hubris of their posting. We have "special knowledge" because "we" are born again and all you others are just fake born agains. We never brag ... You have thin skins and then they turn around and report the least little offense against them.

Then there is their why do you come to "our threads" and bother us and turn around and do the exact same thing to other threads.

I can only feel sorry for them.

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reading the original was enough thanks you very much. I have read their posts for way too long now and still face palm the hubris of their posting. We have "special knowledge" because "we" are born again and all you others are just fake born agains. We never brag ... You have thin skins and then they turn around and report the least little offense against them.

Even imaginary ones.

quote:
Then there is their why do you come to "our threads" and bother us and turn around and do the exact same thing to other threads.

Robb,

They keep saying over and over again that "the Holy Spirit" gives them understanding of "The Truth" and of Scripture, and they have to keep saying it over and over again in the vain hope that someone somewhere will take their word for it. What else do they have?

Other Christians have tried repeatedly to explain to them what the fruits of the Spirit are, and have no doubt tried to show them that their behavior in no way corresponds to any of them. Quite the opposite--it is so repulsive that most people put them on ignore sooner or later. Or else they just laugh at them, which drives all trolls bonkers!!! The same goes for "their father the Devil," or so I've heard.

To my knowledge, neither of these two mega-trolls has ever converted anyone in their five years of posting on Amazon. Sure, they may attract a few groupies to their "Amen corner," but that's about it. Those would be people who were converted through fear (i.e. brainwashed) years ago, either by their fundamentalist families or by a TV preacher, etc. So they really don't count.

Deep inside, they have to know they are ineffective. I see their escalating efforts at disruption and destruction as confessions of failure. Since they are incapable of creating anything positive, incapable of manifesting any of the fruits of the Spirit, the only "accomplishments" left to them are destructive ones.

--Linda

Posts: 18702 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Report This Post
Emerging...
Picture of robinhood
posted Hide Post
quote:

Deep inside, they have to know they are ineffective. I see their escalating efforts at disruption and destruction as confessions of failure. Since they are incapable of creating anything positive, incapable of manifesting any of the fruits of the Spirit, the only "accomplishments" left to them are destructive ones.

--Linda

They have certainly been told enough times that they are poster children for driving people away from this christian jesusgod that they worship. I almost think they think they are the ones showing love and concern vs actually showing bitterness and intolerance.

So if you are not christian, do you have a "label"?

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if you are not christian, do you have a "label"?

Jewish-Gnostic-Pagan syncretist. Jewish by birth. If that helps. Smile   :)

--Linda

Emerging...
Picture of robinhood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jewish-Gnostic-Pagan syncretist. Jewish by birth. If that helps. Smile   :)

--Linda

Great combination

Freshie...
Picture of mary spaulding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
You can call me whatever you want. I've been called many things by many people. Just don't call me late for strawberry shortcake.

I refuse to call you late for anything.

Years of patience and self-denial ensure my timing is always spot on

Hi
How are you doing? That shoulder any better?

I have a new treatment now to get rid of the weeping of my foot. It seems to be working. I have to put on a gel then cream and then the bands to help remove water. Best thing is I get to shower every day now. At last.
JJ

j m jones

Posts: 31 | Location: Redding California | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best thing is I get to shower every day now. At last.

Phew!

I mean Whew, LOL!-)

That really is good news and I'm pleased to hear it.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!