Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
      Page: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 73

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Check what is availability for seniors as far as cab rides, in Arlington Virginia you got five dollars rides, several times a month. Doctor, groceries etc. can recall the specifics but had a friend who love it. Could lift much so the grocery shopping was frustrating, I introduced him to Peapod, and he loved it! For what it is worth, we’re talking as GS13 retiree.

No such discounts for taxis here....

Had to check out PeaPod 'cause I had never heard of it. That's 'cause it's not available in my area. Bummer.

What seems strange to me is that Kroger is available via Instacart in some areas, but not mine - even though they don't have PeaPod available here either. You'd think they would be since they are available on Instacart in SOME areas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6147 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Check what is availability for seniors as far as cab rides, in Arlington Virginia you got five dollars rides, several times a month. Doctor, groceries etc. can recall the specifics but had a friend who love it. Could lift much so the grocery shopping was frustrating, I introduced him to Peapod, and he loved it! For what it is worth, we’re talking as GS13 retiree.

Had to check out PeaPod 'cause I had never heard of it. That's 'cause it's not available in my area. Bummer.

What seems strange to me is that Kroger is available via Instacart in some areas, but not mine - even though they don't have PeaPod available here either. You'd think they would be since they are available on Instacart in SOME areas.

The problem could be on Instacarts end too (getting enough drivers).

bryan j borich

Posts: 467 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
quote:

The problem could be on Instacarts end too (getting enough drivers).

Possibly, but it doesn't seem likely. In my area, I am much closer to a Kroger store than to Whole Foods, Publix or Aldi, which are available through Instacart. You can even order from different stores in the same order as long as you order at least $35 from each location.

But Kroger delivers its own groceries in certain areas of Atlanta (high end), but not in my area. What I can do is order from one of the stores in the program and pick up the order. But that hardly helps me out since my problem is carrying the full grocery bags!

Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Peapod, in Virginia is Giant Food which isn’t the same store as Giant Food in Pa! I haven’t found the equivalent in pa, nor am I surewhat instacart is! Don’t know why this has to be so complicated for you City folk though! Seems every large area would be interested in the concept!

Posts: 8775 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Peapod, in Virginia is Giant Food which isn’t the same store as Giant Food in Pa! I haven’t found the equivalent in pa, nor am I surewhat instacart is! Don’t know why this has to be so complicated for you City folk though! Seems every large area would be interested in the concept!

From what I've seen so far, Amazon Fresh and Instacart are the 2 major grocery delivery services in the US. Of those two, Instacart uses different grocery stores in different areas. But there are numerous minor grocery delivery service companies across the country; PeaPod being one of them. And different minor delivery services use different grocery stores in different areas just like Instacart. Shipt is one that is available in certain areas of Atlanta. We also have services here that deliver from different local restaurants; Grubhub being the major one.

Seems food delivery, whether groceries or pre-prepared, is certainly a fast-growing service business.

Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

From what I've seen so far, Amazon Fresh and Instacart are the 2 major grocery delivery services in the US. Of those two, Instacart uses different grocery stores in different areas. But there are numerous minor grocery delivery service companies across the country; PeaPod being one of them. And different minor delivery services use different grocery stores in different areas just like Instacart. Shipt is one that is available in certain areas of Atlanta. We also have services here that deliver from different local restaurants; Grubhub being the major one.

Seems food delivery, whether groceries or pre-prepared, is certainly a fast-growing service business.

Yep, the taxi takeout seem extremely popular in a lot of places! I’ve often wondered why not groceries, but that seems dependent on the stores, and in our area places like Aldi and save a lot are more common than a full retail store like Giant or Safeway. Walmart has started to we will shop for you, they want to compete with Amazon, but food at least is pick up. The other stuff seems to be spliton what you can and cannot have delivered.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Yep, the taxi takeout seem extremely popular in a lot of places! I’ve often wondered why not groceries, but that seems dependent on the stores, and in our area places like Aldi and save a lot are more common than a full retail store like Giant or Safeway. Walmart has started to we will shop for you, they want to compete with Amazon, but food at least is pick up. The other stuff seems to be spliton what you can and cannot have delivered.

Yeah, it becomes rather frustrating shopping from what a service or store chooses to place online. One of the reasons I decided to also add Instacart is because I use smoked turkey legs instead of pork hocks when cooking beans and/or greens and I couldn't get it at Amazon. I dropped a very heavy hint on them several times and still no smoked turkey legs.

Of course, the other reason is because Publix has a wonderful tiramisu Sing   :sing: that I can't get at Amazon. And I can get a slice of cheesecake (rather than a whole one) or a ready-made sandwich or sushi from the deli. Not shabby.

'Nuff of that, I'm sitting here stuffed. But speaking of stuffed, I just made a couple of little stuffed pigs. So cute:
https://furlscrochet.com/blogs...igurumi-cal-week-one

http://www.amigurumitogo.com/2014/06/pig-pattern.html

Want to make some dragons next. Think I will start with this baby dragon:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/444871269426852283  

Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, it becomes rather frustrating shopping from what a service or store chooses to place online. One of the reasons I decided to also add Instacart is because I use smoked turkey legs instead of pork hocks when cooking beans and/or greens and I couldn't get it at Amazon. I dropped a very heavy hint on them several times and still no smoked turkey legs.

Of course, the other reason is because Publix has a wonderful tiramisu Sing   :sing: that I can't get at Amazon. And I can get a slice of cheesecake (rather than a whole one) or a ready-made sandwich or sushi from the deli. Not shabby.

'Nuff of that, I'm sitting here stuffed. But speaking of stuffed, I just made a couple of little stuffed pigs. So cute:

Although I love piggies, the baby dragon is adorable!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

JR: ... I just made a couple of little stuffed pigs. So cute:

quote:
Reed: Although I love piggies, the baby dragon is adorable!

Bryan thought the boys would particularly like the dragons. I think he is right. And I just received a book that has patterns for several different kinds.

Well, our 4-day rain has just started. I'll be deep in depression by the middle of next week. Where's my Happy Camper pills...?

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
No one should miss the fact that modern mythology is alive and well. Problem is, billions of people spend their lives analysing out-of-date mythology so must miss what they are being taught today.

It will come.

Probably after my predicted world-wide revolution. If that works the way I think it may, then the survivors will have nowhere else to turn.

Well certainly ancient guys like Paul didn't have other people's books on Amazon to point to for self; modern channelers can do this to help with reaching a larger audience. Can also point to other people's news articles on the internet. Paul certainly wanted to reach as large of an audience as possible; he just had less tools for it. Channeling for the most part just leads to sources that are out there but not overly well known (and not themselves associated with channeling).

Posts: 977 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Report This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
Well certainly ancient guys like Paul didn't have other people's books on Amazon to point to for self; modern channelers can do this to help with reaching a larger audience. Can also point to other people's news articles on the internet. Paul certainly wanted to reach as large of an audience as possible; he just had less tools for it.

And of course Paul had the advantage of unfettered access to the entheogens which created the necessary "trip" on his way to Qumran to check up on the rebel Sadducees hanging out there working on the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Desperately sad that later Church Authorities banned Paul's substances. Had they not, the Christian USA would have no need for the Death Penalty. Instead, they could hand those miscreants, along with those serving life sentences, to Johns Hopkins' psilocybin experts and create a new, healthy, productive life for them.

quote:
Channeling for the most part just leads to sources that are out there but not overly well known (and not themselves associated with channeling).

Aha. Maybe I should have taken advantage of that Ipswich channeller's suggestion.

You see, eclectic readers, proof-readers, and reporters, such as myself, do that as a matter of course.

It is even more efficacious when one is genetically programmed to identify and and assimilate seemingly unrelated facts.

Such as those we find in the world's mythologies.

Remarkable how much they have in common.

All from a single source, one might think?

Panspermia, naturally.

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 2361 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

One california company is testing self-driving vans for food delivery. Another for pizzas, they bake on the way.

Amazon Prime Fresh is doing free Whole Foods delivery now (for over $35?)

bryan j borich

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:

quote:
JR: No such discounts for taxis here....

quote:
Reed: Peapod, in Virginia is Giant Food which isn’t the same store as Giant Food in Pa! I haven’t found the equivalent in pa, nor am I surewhat instacart is! Don’t know why this has to be so complicated for you City folk though! Seems every large area would be interested in the concept!

quote:
JR: From what I've seen so far, Amazon Fresh and Instacart are the 2 major grocery delivery services in the US. Of those two, Instacart uses different grocery stores in different areas. But there are numerous minor grocery delivery service companies across the country; PeaPod being one of them. And different minor delivery services use different grocery stores in different areas just like Instacart. Shipt is one that is available in certain areas of Atlanta. We also have services here that deliver from different local restaurants; Grubhub being the major one.

quote:
Bryan: One california company is testing self-driving vans for food delivery. Another for pizzas, they bake on the way.

Amazon Prime Fresh is doing free Whole Foods delivery now (for over $35?)

Just heard that Amazon was going to start a Whole Foods delivery here too. And yes, each order has to be over $35.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
All,
Just spoke to Steve/yba. He is doing fine and was quite chatty even though I was keeping him up way past his bedtime of 6 PM! Well, he does get up at 3 AM...

He misses his online chats with us, but I don't expect that he will venture onto Aantares to take up where we left off.

He says hello to everyone and wishes us all well.

Will keep you posted whenever I hear from him.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Unconscious Reactions Separate Liberals and Conservatives

https://www.scientificamerican...ruce-political-wars/

How to Convince Someone When Facts Fail

https://www.scientificamerican...one-when-facts-fail/

http://www.slate.com/articles/...lieving_in_lies.html

bryan j borich

Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allan, Bryan,

Found this

https://qz.com/1196408/scienti...self-is-an-illusion/

Researchers around the world are exploring the drug’s transformative power to ... lower violent crime;

Oh that hurts. My grateful thank you, anyway.

How many days ago did I say psilocybin should be used to rehabilitate serious-offence prison inmates?

This too:
Psilocybin seems to offer some people a route to an alternate view of reality, in which they shed the limitations of their individual consciousness and embrace a sense of interconnectedness and universality. These trips aren’t temporary, but have transformative psychological effects.
...Consider a study of 75 subjects, published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology last October. The study concluded that psilocybin leads to mystical experiences that can have long-term psychological benefits in conjunction with meditation training. The greater the drug dosage, the more potent the positive psychological effect was six months later. “Participants showed significant positive changes on longitudinal measures of interpersonal closeness, gratitude, life meaning/purpose, forgiveness, death transcendence, daily spiritual experiences, religious faith and coping,” the study concluded.

To my surprise I have yet to see these subjects being asked how they now feel about death. A rather obvious question, no? Or is death transcendence the answer I am looking for? Still worth exploring further, IMO.

How about this?

But Williams told The Guardian in July 2017 that so far, the clerics report feeling simultaneously more in touch with their own faith and greater appreciation for alternate paths. “In these transcendental states of consciousness, people … get to levels of consciousness that seem universal. So a good rabbi can encounter the Buddha within him ,” Williams said.

Does that mean no more arguments against me?

If I don't get my finger out and write my book soon it will be too late.

When some study subjects tested psilocybin, they reported a strong sense of interconnectedness, as well as spiritual, magical, and supernatural feelings.

QED, n'est-ce pas?

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 2361 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Chronic...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Allan, Bryan,

Found this

https://qz.com/1196408/scienti...self-is-an-illusion/

Researchers around the world are exploring the drug’s transformative power to ... lower violent crime;

Oh that hurts. My grateful thank you, anyway.

How many days ago did I say psilocybin should be used to rehabilitate serious-offence prison inmates?

This too:
Psilocybin seems to offer some people a route to an alternate view of reality, in which they shed the limitations of their individual consciousness and embrace a sense of interconnectedness and universality. These trips aren’t temporary, but have transformative psychological effects.
...Consider a study of 75 subjects, published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology last October. The study concluded that psilocybin leads to mystical experiences that can have long-term psychological benefits in conjunction with meditation training. The greater the drug dosage, the more potent the positive psychological effect was six months later. “Participants showed significant positive changes on longitudinal measures of interpersonal closeness, gratitude, life meaning/purpose, forgiveness, death transcendence, daily spiritual experiences, religious faith and coping,” the study concluded.

To my surprise I have yet to see these subjects being asked how they now feel about death. A rather obvious question, no? Or is death transcendence the answer I am looking for? Still worth exploring further, IMO.

How about this?

But Williams told The Guardian in July 2017 that so far, the clerics report feeling simultaneously more in touch with their own faith and greater appreciation for alternate paths. “In these transcendental states of consciousness, people … get to levels of consciousness that seem universal. So a good rabbi can encounter the Buddha within him ,” Williams said.

Does that mean no more arguments against me?

If I don't get my finger out and write my book soon it will be too late.

When some study subjects tested psilocybin, they reported a strong sense of interconnectedness, as well as spiritual, magical, and supernatural feelings.

QED, n'est-ce pas?

I found it by accident, and need to read it more, but I was sure your confirmation bias would kick in.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:I found it by accident, and need to read it more, but I was sure your confirmation bias would kick in.

Strange isn't it that within about 3-4 years of becoming Christian I, for the very first time in my life, felt that 'global connectedness', but it didn't happen until after I gave up all that theological nonsense and let the Spirit lead.

And it was the biggest clue that the posse was not being led by the Spirit - since they were so divisive - based on theology.

Everyone I come in contact with reminds me that we are all part of The Whole. Even those who are mean and hateful. They are simply the ones who still feel isolated and worthless.

The real discouraging part for me was that the posse refused to be drawn into The Whole. They even refused to see it. And it was all because their theology placed the Kingdom of God on the other side of death, rather than in the here-and-now. So in my mind, dispensation theology is the most destructive of theologies.

Don't know why I went there except that I've slipped in one of those states of cloudy day blues. Never did find my Happy Camper pills...
https://tinyurl.com/yblkm77v

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Y'all can come out of hiding now, I found my Happy Camper pills and I'm almost human again!   Go-oh-oh!   :go: