Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
      Page: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 73

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Allan,

There are some good fares to Europe right now, if I can get Mrs E. to Edinburgh, could you meet her there?

Speaking of which, I received an invite to the 'family' reunion this coming August in Germany. Talking about awkward.....

That’s funny, or would be if it weren’t also tragic!

Try telling them the exchange rate will have to get 1000% better before you could make it!

It would be interesting to perhaps visit Germany, not sure about meeting about what in essence are a bunch of strangers...

Dahlin', I doubt they would be any more strange than you... Nee-NER!   :neener:

Not to mention that August in Germany is warm, sometimes even hot, often rainy, and a very expensive time of year to travel. Now October is a different story entirely: OCTOBERFEST!

Might not even have to buy your own beer, just lap up what others spill on you?

At your height, you could get a lot of mileage outta that.

I'm not really into alcohol, except on occasion, admittedly at the moment I wouldn't mind taste testing some of the variaties out there.

Not that I should...

Funny that, alcoholism runs on both sides of my family, so most got upset when they would see my "bar" shelf (that I have now tucked away in a huge china cabinet to keep out of one of my brother's sight). But the truth is that I rarely drink the stuff. A shot of Bailey's Irish Cream in a cup of coffee on a frosty Saturday morning, snifter of brandy on a blustery evening, glass of scotch on a cold and rainy afternoon, tall glass of liqueur and club soda on the rocks on a sultry afternoon, a rare glass of wine with a holiday meal. Maybe a splash here and there in a recipe or two every now and then. Not a single one of them has ever seen me drunk (all 2 times), but because there was a "lot of it"...never mind that most bottles were quite old...

But beer isn't one of my favorite drinks. I'd buy a 6 pack of Killian's Red and it would last me through 2 summers - unless one or more of my brothers came by and found some in the fridge. They'd make real quick work of that. I could like a taste or so of a few beers at an Oktoberfest, though. We have several Oktoberfests held in GA, the best is at Helen, GA. I've been to a couple of them and they are a LOT of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v5mmPCZeK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzdXoMWZ6E

Check out those southern accents!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Allan,
Just for you:

https://www.incredibleegg.org/recipe/pickled-eggs/

Cook a week's worth and put them in the fridge.

Oh, and you can dunk them in the creamy dressing of your choice. Slice them on a salad as well.

Good stuff!

As an Aussie the concept of setting aside beet root, as opposed to eating it right away just doesn’t seem feasible!

Not even long enough to make salad?

That's about how long I could set it aside...'cause I like 'em. Just can't eat very many of them at one time.

Not sure but since they are also put on burgers I’d say maybe!

Beets on burgers? Who would have thunk it!

Ah yeah, we are talking about those Aussies Doh!   :doh:

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Allan,

There are some good fares to Europe right now, if I can get Mrs E. to Edinburgh, could you meet her there?

Speaking of which, I received an invite to the 'family' reunion this coming August in Germany. Talking about awkward.....

That’s funny, or would be if it weren’t also tragic!

Try telling them the exchange rate will have to get 1000% better before you could make it!

It would be interesting to perhaps visit Germany, not sure about meeting about what in essence are a bunch of strangers...

Dahlin', I doubt they would be any more strange than you... Nee-NER!   :neener:

Not to mention that August in Germany is warm, sometimes even hot, often rainy, and a very expensive time of year to travel. Now October is a different story entirely: OCTOBERFEST!

Might not even have to buy your own beer, just lap up what others spill on you?

At your height, you could get a lot of mileage outta that.

'Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin''

Smile   :)

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
diabetic diet,

https://reason.com/blog/2018/0...for-type-ii-diabetes

All things considered in my case I expect it would be much cheaper for the government to pay for pre-packaged foods for use daily then my pharmas, but that would make too much sense.

On a separate note, it seems there might be more than 2 types of diabetes, a new, but limited study seems to indicate at least 5.

I like that site's approach.

And yeah, there are those of us who never had any difficulties until we experienced the diabetic side effects of certain BP meds...

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
diabetic diet,

All things considered in my case I expect it would be much cheaper for the government to pay for pre-packaged foods for use daily then my pharmas, but that would make too much sense.

On a separate note, it seems there might be more than 2 types of diabetes, a new, but limited study seems to indicate at least 5.

And yeah, there are those of us who never had any difficulties until we experienced the diabetic side effects of certain BP meds...

My doctor(s) try regularly to bug me about it, but even besides the money, I'm not up to being able to stand at the stove cooking whatever as a rule.

Although I saw a commercial for Jenny's or Weight Watchers for diabetic meals. I'd just need larger quantities of lean meats in the portions I espect.

bryan j borich

Posts: 486 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Reed,
I just made both of these Walruses in the darker brown color, just don't have the big one sown together yet:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/556335360211872077/

Made the small one to look more like a pup by giving him shorter whiskers and no tusks. They are just too cute!

Oh, and it's been 3 weeks now since I heard from Mary Jean. Can't seem to get her to respond to my emails.

Steve was to see the doc this morning because the pollen was getting him down. Gonna ask him when he last heard from Mary Jean...

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
diabetic diet,

My doctor(s) try regularly to bug me about it, but even besides the money, I'm not up to being able to stand at the stove cooking whatever as a rule.

Although I saw a commercial for Jenny's or Weight Watchers for diabetic meals. I'd just need larger quantities of lean meats in the portions I espect.

Yeah, portion would be an issue for you. Most of the frozen/deli meals are sufficient for me, although some of the larger sized frozen meals are too large. But you might be able to buy frozen cooked beef and chicken strips to add to the meals.
https://www.tyson.com/products...ed-beef-steak-strips
http://steakeze.com/
https://www.tyson.com/products...hicken-breast-strips

There are other brands I'm sure.

Since I had them put me on a different BP med (although I still have to take 1/3-1/2 pill of the previous med for heart arrhythmia) my blood sugar levels have gotten back to normal.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
diabetic diet,

Yeah, portion would be an issue for you. Most of the frozen/deli meals are sufficient for me, although some of the larger sized frozen meals are too large. But you might be able to buy frozen cooked beef and chicken strips to add to the meals.

Since I had them put me on a different BP med (although I still have to take 1/3-1/2 pill of the previous med for heart arrhythmia) my blood sugar levels have gotten back to normal.

I was doing some chicken strips for awhile when they were on sale. But of late I've gotten somewhat intolerant of chicken.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
On a side note locally, a Jesuit school locally has objected to the possible placement of a locker space for use by the homeless to store their things, as the current one is insufficient.

It seems the fact that kids might see more homeless then they do already is objectionable.

Oh, and mustn't forget that according to Graham's daughter his death was prophetic on the same level as Moses.....

bryan j borich

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
diabetic diet,

I had a girlfriend that tried a diet for reversing diabetes, and she is still on it, I think at least most of the time. Her motivation was that she doesn’t do well with drugs, most she can’t take, and she couldn’t imagine pricking her finger. She avoided the drugs for a while, cand before she had to do Januvia and metform, she had lost the weight she had tried so hard to lose before. She now knows that diabetes runs in her family and the siblings I’ve met are not overweight either!

As for being sure there is protein in every meal, that’s been part of a cycle but it makes sense. And any good vegetarian book can tell you how to mix partial or poor proteins to make them basically whole.

As for meals, I become addicted to the flavored Balsamic vinegars! And I’m back to eating cold can vegetables. That’s working pretty well, especially chopped spinach! It’s easy to add some vinegar, a small piece of Chicken, and some cheese! AND it is getting rid of some veggies that as just been sitting!

As for multiple types of diseases, I heard the term hep C in the 70s late iirc. I thought someone misspoke and then I didn’t hear about it again until the last few years!

As we continue to lower the standards for overweight, glucose, and blood pressures it is no wonder we are including more and more people. Those being on what used to be a border group may be there own group, perhaps. Secondly our foods, our environment, and all are changing why wouldn’t there be more differentiation needed, especially as some in an old standard group react differently to the standard drugs. You have the advantage that you are eligible to visit a dietician. You just aren’t allowed to get enough money to follow their advice! Admittedly they can actually suggest some really good alternatives, up to a point. A budget of $5 a day for food is getting nearly impossible to achieve, even if you don’t count purchased water.

Posts: 12863 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Allan,
Just for you:

https://www.incredibleegg.org/recipe/pickled-eggs/

Cook a week's worth and put them in the fridge.

Oh, and you can dunk them in the creamy dressing of your choice. Slice them on a salad as well.

Good stuff!

As an Aussie the concept of setting aside beet root, as opposed to eating it right away just doesn’t seem feasible!

Not even long enough to make salad?

That's about how long I could set it aside...'cause I like 'em. Just can't eat very many of them at one time.

Not sure but since they are also put on burgers I’d say maybe!

Beets on burgers? Who would have thunk it!

Ah yeah, we are talking about those Aussies Doh!   :doh:

Actually not bad, but I couldn’t really taste them in the runny egg!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
diabetic diet,

I’ve run into an interesting paradox. SleepApnea, which I now have a definite diagnosis for, can be caused by being over weight. Guess what one of the side effects of sleep apnea is? You got it weight gain, as are some of the heat meds!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
diabetic diet,

One of the groups, perhaps Nutisystem, had basically a he mans plan! I’d still expect you’d want more, but we don’t “need”as much as we think we do. Then again the one size fits no one guidelines don’t fit most anyway! At best they work for health weights, and those numbers are debatable!

I was doing pretty well with low carb, but including low fat with that is not scientifically sound. I haven’t lost at the rate I started and hit what seems to be a plateau earlier than I expected, but I’m not giving up.

And, btw, a salad doesn’t have to take a lot of standing, other than washing the lettuce perhaps! For that I think I’d take a dish pan to the table! Canned tuna and chicken can go a bit farther in salads and still get you your protein. Or you can put yoghurt in your salad as you “dress it.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reed,
I just made both of these Walruses in the darker brown color, just don't have the big one sown together yet:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/556335360211872077/

Made the small one to look more like a pup by giving him shorter whiskers and no tusks. They are just too cute!

Oh, and it's been 3 weeks now since I heard from Mary Jean. Can't seem to get her to respond to my emails.

Steve was to see the doc this morning because the pollen was getting him down. Gonna ask him when he last heard from Mary Jean...

I sent her an email, and all is silent for me too. Have you called? At one point her daughter had agreed to call someone if there was a problem. I’d expectat least some to email, if her computer still works. Haven’t heard from Gershom either!

Hope Steve gets better soon, he’s had enough of doctors I’m sure! Keep us posted!

As for the critters they are getting cuter and cuter!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
diabetic diet,

There are packets too, but I can’t imagine they are cheap. Does his refrig have a freezer! That’s why I as thinking canned.

Hubby’s A1c came back high and HDL low, not that that is normally a measure of anything. He hates his meds and I’m thinking we need to check their side effects. He thinks he can change the A1c by eliminating sweets. I think it’s carbs, but that he may do that too!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a side note locally, a Jesuit school locally has objected to the possible placement of a locker space for use by the homeless to store their things, as the current one is insufficient.

It seems the fact that kids might see more homeless then they do already is objectionable.

Oh, and mustn't forget that according to Graham's daughter his death was prophetic on the same level as Moses.....

Perhaps the priest would like to build a wall?

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If I were him, I'd use it as a learning experience for the kids. God was certainly trying to teach him after all.

Perhaps the priest would like to build a wall?

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the groups, perhaps Nutisystem, had basically a he mans plan! I’d still expect you’d want more, but we don’t “need”as much as we think we do. Then again the one size fits no one guidelines don’t fit most anyway! At best they work for health weights, and those numbers are debatable!

I was doing pretty well with low carb, but including low fat with that is not scientifically sound. I haven’t lost at the rate I started and hit what seems to be a plateau earlier than I expected, but I’m not giving up.

And, btw, a salad doesn’t have to take a lot of standing, other than washing the lettuce perhaps! For that I think I’d take a dish pan to the table! Canned tuna and chicken can go a bit farther in salads and still get you your protein. Or you can put yoghurt in your salad as you “dress it.

Yeah, I go through salad periods, but the chicken and tuna are currently to expensive, not to mention the dressing and tomatos. Also I get tired of it.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
diabetic diet,

There are packets too, but I can’t imagine they are cheap. Does his refrig have a freezer! That’s why I as thinking canned.

Hubby’s A1c came back high and HDL low, not that that is normally a measure of anything. He hates his meds and I’m thinking we need to check their side effects. He thinks he can change the A1c by eliminating sweets. I think it’s carbs, but that he may do that too!

Small freezer, can hold a few pizzas, maybe 5.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Got another prophetic song tonight,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6xBhv21kEE

Mechanicals by Rage of Light

The night is falling on the remains of our world
Will we ever see another sunrise?
Oh, we reached the point of no return

The only way to realise

As we wanted more and were becoming blind
Our creations became the loss of our kind
Now we try to hide from the mistakes we made
Torn apart by guilt we run in vain

Here come the Mechanicals
Ruthless, fearless, speeding up your fall

Kneel and watch your kingdom burn
You thought you own the Earth
But this time you will learn the hardest lesson
Welcome to the new world, a new reign begins
Domination, submission
A new race called Mechanicals

Our lives, threatened by this viral disease
We thought we could handle this affliction
No cure will stop the infection to spread
Condemned by our evolution

As we wanted more and were becoming deaf
We didn't hear the cries of our people's distress
Now we try to hide from the monsters we made
Torn apart by guilt we run in vain

Oh time to hide
Now we're the ones who decide
We'll erase all your mistakes
A clean slate to start again
You treat us like a virus
But you're the ones destroying the Earth
Once your cancer is gone we'll be able to bring the sun… back!

bryan j borich