Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Triplicate.

Posts: 5881 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
And another. My goodness computer hangs an be weird!

Posts: 5881 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
Remembering, of course, that when there are two Jews there are three arguments. For me, the Tanach and the Talmud are such a mishmash it is well-nigh impossible for me to get my head around anything they say.

That Chabad.org is a classic. The way I see it, they include what I would term folk-lore. Did you see my post way back quoting Chabad as saying Abram was 3yo when he reached his big decision? What really got me was its version of Abram was virtually identical to the NT story leading up to the birth of Jesus. Only difference was that, unlike Herod, Abram's deliberately unnamed king saw that mysterious star and made sure his astrologers checked out its meaning. That king then led one of the earlier Slaughters of the Innocents, long before the Egyptians were blamed for it. Love to know if this was a later fabrication aimed at downplaying the new-born Christianity.

Moses' story of being floated on the Nile was a direct lift from Sargon the Great's tale. Rather liked the suggestion Sargon created that to make it appear he had risen from humble beginnings.

Doesn't matter to me where the Jews took their stories; have yet to find anything original in any of it.

Hmmm, yeah, there does seem to be some consistency in these stories; water, slaughter, wilderness...greatness.

quote:
I'm with you on Harpur and the Egyptian origins.

CB loves him, in part because he so very often kindly confirms what She has been telling me.

Before She bruises another rib: All language about God must of necessity be a metaphor, since he/she (we prefer it) is beyond any literal description. Religion forgets that at its peril.

We could not have said it better ourself, though letter-sounds is more precise.

Agreed. And "God in a box" just doesn't cut it for me.

I'm a bit out of it today. Spent a couple of hours out in the 90 degree heat and 65 percent humidity today. My driver had a flat tire...and all I had in me was 2 cups of coffee at the time. I am so dehydrated. May not be around much tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4860 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:

Just for you, mate; another c&p from that thread, my response to Dixie Chick:

Please let me assure you. That was never disdain. All that happened was it took quite a while for some to learn how to work the system here.

Our mob have been together for many years, and have one of the best personal relationships I have ever experienced.

While I like to think it's my mob, the femmes keep insisting they are the ones in control.

Would not wonder if they are contemplating swelling their ranks.

We femmes are in control, and don't you ever forget it! Should you, we will be right here to set you straight, make no mistake about that, Sugah.

Swelling the ranks, huh. So you can claim even more femmes in your mob? I got your number, bubba Smile   :)

There are a few that I certainly wouldn't mind have join us, and they know where we are if they should decide to test the water.

Still miss SIA, Gershom, Lois and Craig. But Mary Jean is breaking my heart.

Nice to see that yba poked his head in though!

Hey, wonder who HB was most afraid of being proselytized by, Jew, Shaman, Atheist, Christian...(what religion is bluelamp anyway...Mystic)? None of whom have been proselytized by the others since we became buddies at the Pub long ago.

Anyway, I have to go lay me down before I topple. See ya'll later.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
That king then led one of the earlier Slaughters of the Innocents, long before the Egyptians were blamed for it.
Love to know if this was a later fabrication aimed at downplaying the new-born Christianity.

Moses' story of being floated on the Nile was a direct lift from Sargon the Great's tale. Rather liked the suggestion Sargon created that to make it appear he had risen from humble beginnings.

Yeah it's in multiple myths like Perseus, Romulus & Remus, and Oedipus. It kind of showed that heroes/kings had a history since birth of being victorious against the odds with help from the gods even as infants. Jesus surviving against Herod has the same theme without the water part. For me the water part originally related to giant Bran-head-like comets floating off to the horizon.

Posts: 910 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
..what religion is bluelamp anyway...Mystic)?

No that's Bryan. I was born Catholic; go weekly to a Catholic church; my kids go to Catholic schools; my wife is a Catholic school teacher; I've done volunteer religion co-teaching with a Catholic deacon who was my best man. But yes I'm really a paleochristianity.org online church fan who Lord of the Rings-like refer to themselves as a fellowship (of the Cosmic Mind).

They define paleochristianity as follows:
quote:
PaleoChristianity has been known in more or less corrupted forms as ancient Siberian Shamanism and the thread of dualist thought (see Sources, Y. Stoyanov), in the teachings of Zoroaster, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Confucius, the ancient Greek Mystery Schools, the person behind the “Jesus” appellation, the early Gnostics, Mani’s Religion of Light”, Bogomilism, Catharism, the Sufism of Ibn al-‘Arabi, the medieval and modern Alchemical traditions, the Work of Georges Gurdjieff, and most recently the historical and mystical work of Laura Knight-Jadczyk, among other prominent researchers, psychologists, and teachers (see Sources).

Posts: 910 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yba:
quote:
that Aussies are past masters at stirring the possum, and I have the added benefit of lots of practice in Scottish banter,
??? It must come from from the Irish blood
...:Smile   :))

You've got a bloody hide coming on here and dishing out sh*t to an elderly, respected and admired, citizen of the world.

Man, you have no idea how great it is to see you back with us. It has been far too long.

How the bloody hell are you, mate?

Now we can really turn up the heat Hammer   :hammer:

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1661 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by yba:
quote:
that Aussies are past masters at stirring the possum, and I have the added benefit of lots of practice in Scottish banter,
??? It must come from from the Irish blood
...:Smile   :))

You've got a bloody hide coming on here and dishing out sh*t to an elderly, respected and admired, citizen of the world.

Man, you have no idea how great it is to see you back with us. It has been far too long.

How the bloody hell are you, mate?

Now we can really turn up the heat Hammer   :hammer:

Elderly citizen of the world? Do you h ave that many years on him?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:
..what religion is bluelamp anyway...Mystic)?

No that's Bryan. I was born Catholic; go weekly to a Catholic church; my kids go to Catholic schools; my wife is a Catholic school teacher; I've done volunteer religion co-teaching with a Catholic deacon who was my best man. But yes I'm really a paleochristianity.org online church fan who Lord of the Rings-like refer to themselves as a fellowship (of the Cosmic Mind).

They define paleochristianity as follows:
quote:
PaleoChristianity has been known in more or less corrupted forms as ancient Siberian Shamanism and the thread of dualist thought (see Sources, Y. Stoyanov), in the teachings of Zoroaster, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Confucius, the ancient Greek Mystery Schools, the person behind the “Jesus” appellation, the early Gnostics, Mani’s Religion of Light”, Bogomilism, Catharism, the Sufism of Ibn al-‘Arabi, the medieval and modern Alchemical traditions, the Work of Georges Gurdjieff, and most recently the historical and mystical work of Laura Knight-Jadczyk, among other prominent researchers, psychologists, and teachers (see Sources).

Well sheesh, Dahlin', why didn't you just say so!?!?!? Smile   :)

Now I know who online to ask questions of in relation to the Catholic faith. Good thing to know.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm, yeah, there does seem to be some consistency in these stories; water, slaughter, wilderness...greatness

That's what I mean about having to trace mythologies as far back as we can if we really want to understand them.

You now what I am like about Washoe. This story is almost mandatory reading.
https://www.psychologytoday.co...best-friend-is-chimp

I keep harping on about our Christianised Eurocentrism, but now have to plead guilty myself:

A 1999 Columbia study conducted by psychologist Herbert Terrace, Ph.D., showed that rhesus monkeys have rudimentary arithmetic skills, and that they can think using symbols.

If monkeys -- not apes -- can think in symbols, when did our ancestors begin that?

Roger Fouts shares my learning curve in at least one way. He worked with chimpanzees for years before coming to the full acceptance they are not all that different from us in a real sense.

While what he says does not diminish my assessment of the importance of entheogens, he's attributing abilities to our ancestors that I had failed to do. It does, of course, reinforce our oft-repeated assertion that we fail to credit our ancestors with a high level of intelligence.

quote:
Agreed. And "God in a box" just doesn't cut it for me.

That's where the Literalists come unstuck. Having been conned into believing that their loving, compassionate, deity created this universe in six days 6000 years ago just so he could have us for companionship, they are incapable of getting even close to reality.

Those ancients, with the possible exception of the Brahmins, had no idea of the difference between our neighbouring planets and light-years-distant suns, never mind other galaxies.

Now we know there are other planets and, just last night on the news, it looks as though our Mars explorer has found what might be traces of fossilised life forms. I'm hoping we do find live on other planets, some of which we already assess as being in the life-zone, before I pop off. For me, there has to be life on countless planets in countless galaxies.

Which invites (not "begs") the question: just how does this life-form rate with an entity capable of such universal creation? Reckon I'm not all that far off the mark when I claim the relationship would be about on par with my relationship with the microbes which process my dimer each night.

quote:
I'm a bit out of it today. Spent a couple of hours out in the 90 degree heat and 65 percent humidity today. My driver had a flat tire...and all I had in me was 2 cups of coffee at the time. I am so dehydrated. May not be around much tonight.

That's what you get for being one of Pandora and Eve's mob Doh!   :doh: Only a patriarchal deity would wish that on anyone.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are far from alone in that. A major loss.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah it's in multiple myths like Perseus, Romulus & Remus, and Oedipus. It kind of showed that heroes/kings had a history since birth of being victorious against the odds with help from the gods even as infants. Jesus surviving against Herod has the same theme without the water part. For me the water part originally related to giant Bran-head-like comets floating off to the horizon.

While I do not question the importance of comets and meteors in mythology, I am so far unable to place the same emphasis as you do.

From my reading, water symbolised matter in some way; still haven't got my head around that yet, either.

Interestingly, one of the sources I saw lately infers that, somehow, our ancestors were aware that life began in water, moving on to vegetation form before evolving into animal life form.

Got me beat.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Elderly citizen of the world? Do you have that many years on him?

Only in mental and emotional maturity Kick   :kick:

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
You now what I am like about Washoe. This story is almost mandatory reading.
https://www.psychologytoday.co...best-friend-is-chimp

Almost brought a tear to my eyes.

quote:
That's what you get for being one of Pandora and Eve's mob Doh!   :doh: Only a patriarchal deity would wish that on anyone.

Lost me...

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]PaleoChristianity has been known in more or less corrupted forms as ancient Siberian Shamanism and the thread of dualist thought (see Sources, Y. Stoyanov), in the teachings of Zoroaster , Buddha, Lao Tzu, Confucius, the ancient Greek Mystery Schools, the person behind the “Jesus” appellation, the early Gnostics, Mani’s Religion of Light”, Bogomilism, Catharism, the Sufism of Ibn al-‘Arabi, the medieval and modern Alchemical traditions , the Work of Georges Gurdjieff, and most recently the historical and mystical work of Laura Knight-Jadczyk, among other prominent researchers, psychologists, and teachers (see Sources).

Given all that, what is it prevents you from accepting the part entheogens play in all this?

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lost me...

Every pain every women suffers is a direct consequence of Pandora and Eve's determination to not do what they are told by the masculine gender.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Took me a while to realise it; looks like we have lost that strident Christian thread.

Love to know what I missed.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You are far from alone in that. A major loss.

Craig was here for a short time.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

While I do not question the importance of comets and meteors in mythology, I am so far unable to place the same emphasis as you do.

From my reading, water symbolised matter in some way; still haven't got my head around that yet, either.

Interestingly, one of the sources I saw lately infers that, somehow, our ancestors were aware that life began in water, moving on to vegetation form before evolving into animal life form.

Got me beat.

Are you sure they didn’t relate to embryonic fluid?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Took me a while to realise it; looks like we have lost that strident Christian thread.

Love to know what I missed.

Scroll down the list of boards until you find "Your Lifestyle & Culture". You will find under "Religion & Spirituality", the last heading in the list.

Anti-Fascism put out a notice this morning that it would be moved...

Now I'm off to bed. Good night and God bless.