Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
I’m hoping that those that voted for Trump will get back to keeping the three branches of the government separate.

I think his "base" is clueless as to how the government works and will never bother themselves to learn.

Also for some reason, they don't seem to know that they have the right to vote.....

On the other hand I'm not sure how many of them are trolls.

True that. Most of my brothers who support him didn't vote...although my sisters who do, did vote.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4550 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I’m hoping that those that voted for Trump will get back to keeping the three branches of the government separate.

I think his "base" is clueless as to how the government works and will never bother themselves to learn.

http://dai.ly/x2skqmu

High 5   :high5:
There are a few people I should send that to!

He has some new ones out that I haven't seen. I love his marriage, creation science, and I want a marriage just like the bible though!

Posts: 5426 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
My prophetic skills are outstanding.

Divine pardons all round.

What more does anyone want?

How often did I say Trump is the predecessor waiting for the real Christian Devil to take over?

He he, you better watch out bubba, cuz you're being indoctrinated in all that churchianity stuff via osmosis! Wink   ;)

Even some of the posse thought he might be the antichrist. They excused themselves for voting for him by "believing" they were helping God usher in the "end-times."

I had forgotten part of that. I know some of their voice changed when someone else confirmed that he was "born again". Preposterous, if that means he was ever one of them.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had forgotten part of that. I know some of their voice changed when someone else confirmed that he was "born again". Preposterous, if that means he was ever one of them.

I guess I wasn't around for that "change of voice" business. But yeah, I can see "born again" being used for his lack of language skills. I mean, he is just a "baby" after all! LOL-2!   :lol2:

Posts: 4550 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Allan,
You'll like this from the Your News, Money, Sports Board - News Topics:
Justify
Justify is the 2108 Belmont Stakes Triple Crown Winner.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
He he, you better watch out bubba, cuz you're being indoctrinated in all that churchianity stuff via osmosis! Wink   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq9FCBatl3A

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1635 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq9FCBatl3A

He he

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allan,
You'll like this from the Your News, Money, Sports Board - News Topics:
Justify
Justify is the 2108 Belmont Stakes Triple Crown Winner.

Consider it done.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Meant to post this last week.

Remember I went on about the Eden Serpent most likely being a Dragon instead of a snake?

Think it was Reed who linked to a number of images. Could not find any legged serpents with Eve, but did find someone who agreed with me about the Dragon.

And guess what?

https://www.thescottsmithblog....-genesis-is-not.html

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
In our ASC, ICB was extremely -- and we do mean extremely -- shattered and dismayed to discover we **** sapiens Great Apes, in utter defiance of the Supreme Creator's order to preserve the One, are threatening extinction on the axolotl through our pollution and over-fishing. Conservation status: Critically Endangered.

First reaction was HTF can we be committing this venal sin?

The news went on to say a group of nuns is instrumental in preserving axolotls.

ICB' immediate reaction was an image of a group of nuns reciting their rosaries as they chastely circulated their equally chaste pond fish.

The reality was infinitely better. They are scientifically breeding them, walls lined with fish tanks.

Then came the cruncher. Talk about all being One!

The axolotl regenerate severed limbs, reproducing them perfectly. Even can replace damaged brain tissue.

It is one hell of a challenge for science, as we have a long way to go to discover how they do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl
The feature of the salamander that attracts most attention is its healing ability: the axolotl does not heal by scarring and is capable of the regeneration of entire lost appendages in a period of months, and, in certain cases, more vital structures. Some have indeed been found restoring the less vital parts of their brains. They can also readily accept transplants from other individuals, including eyes and parts of the brain—restoring these alien organs to full functionality. In some cases, axolotls have been known to repair a damaged limb, as well as regenerating an additional one, ending up with an extra appendage that makes them attractive to pet owners as a novelty. In metamorphosed individuals, however, the ability to regenerate is greatly diminished. The axolotl is therefore used as a model for the development of limbs in vertebrates.[20][21]
...The axolotl's real world ability to regrow limbs served as the inspiration for the Tleilaxu axlotl tanks in the fictional Dune universe created by Frank Herbert.[citation needed]

We have long considered Herbert as a deeply spiritual man who understands and knows how to use the symbols and metaphors of mythology.

http://mentalfloss.com/article...wesome-axolotl-facts

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Meant to post this last week.

Remember I went on about the Eden Serpent most likely being a Dragon instead of a snake?

Think it was Reed who linked to a number of images. Could not find any legged serpents with Eve, but did find someone who agreed with me about the Dragon.

And guess what?

https://www.thescottsmithblog....-genesis-is-not.html

That was me that linked to the images...

But in Revelation 20:1-2 "Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, the ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years."

I just wonder why Scott Smith didn't use it in his blog...

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is one hell of a challenge for science, as we have a long way to go to discover how they do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

http://mentalfloss.com/article...wesome-axolotl-facts

Cool stuff. Very interesting.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
But in Revelation 20:1-2 "Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, the ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years."

Why can't we just accept that some one-third of people are innately afraid of snakes and, over the aeons, have further developed that fear by giving snakes legs, wings, and a fiery breath so they can justify those fears?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why can't we just accept that some one-third of people are innately afraid of snakes and, over the aeons, have further developed that fear by giving snakes legs, wings, and a fiery breath so they can justify those fears?

I do.

But then, I don't think the verse is speaking of a literal serpent/dragon.

Zodiac.

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or those plasma based cosmic serpents could change forms and hang around fiery comet fragments. Some link the cosmic serpent to the Milky Way but I not surprisingly tend to think comet/plasma effects.

Posts: 910 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do.
Zodiac.

Oh, yeah.

But then, my original comment applies to that too.

Why can't we just accept that ...

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
Or those plasma based cosmic serpents could change forms and hang around fiery comet fragments. Some link the cosmic serpent to the Milky Way but I not surprisingly tend to think comet/plasma effects.

Can you link me to any comet/mythology sources, please?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:
I do.
Zodiac.

quote:
Oh, yeah.

Yeah.

quote:
But then, my original comment applies to that too.

OK.

quote:
Why can't we just accept that ...

Because you seem to be arguing as if this is actually about a snake...that people are afraid of. I don't see it that way at all. The serpent represents Wisdom, Death, and Resurrection, among other things.

Now, if you want to argue that some people are afraid of Wisdom, Death, and Resurrection...you'll get no argument from me on that one, because I'm aware that people are afraid of what they do not understand.

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:

Can you link me to any comet/mythology sources, please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...%28rainbow-dragon%29

quote:
"Although many ancient cultures believed rainbows were good omens," Carr (1990:101) explains, "the Chinese saw them as meteorological disasters. Unlike the auspicious [long] 龍 dragon symbolizing forthcoming rain, the two-headed [hong] 虹 was inauspicious because it appeared after a rain shower." The Huainanzi (3, Schindler 1923:322) says both rainbows and comets were warnings from tian "heaven; god".

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/t.../page-16#post-683444

quote:
quote:
quote:
Zurvan - And we find him in Mithraic religion as a mysterious naked lion-headed (leontocephaline) figure often found in Mithraic temples. He is entwined by a serpent, (or two serpents, like a caduceus) with the snake's head often resting on the lion's head.

Amateur astronomer Wayne Herschel argues that images of animal headed deities were those of ‘alien astronauts, as pointed out by Erich Von Daniken, a pioneer on the subject. The animal heads were masks:

Yes, I'm aware of this speculative notion and don't consider it to be very compelling. Thing is, you have to spend enough time reading ALL the research and work being done in these fields to get a real idea of what is or is not most likely. If I was going to speculate that Zurvan represented a real world figure, I would say it would be most likely a comet - read "Comets and the Horns of Moses" for some additional concepts that support this idea more than the "alien astronaut" concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ism)#Cosmic_serpents

quote:
The serpent, when forming a ring with its tail in its mouth, is a clear and widespread symbol of the "All-in-All", the totality of existence, infinity and the cyclic nature of the cosmos. The most well known version of this is the Aegypto-Greek Ourobouros. It is believed to have been inspired by the Milky Way, as some ancient texts refer to a serpent of light residing in the heavens. The Ancient Egyptians associated it with Wadjet, one of their oldest deities as well as another aspect, Hathor. In Norse mythology the World Serpent (or Midgard serpent) known as Jörmungandr encircled the world in the ocean's abyss biting its own tail.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-...-Clube/dp/0876633793

https://www.amazon.com/Comets-...-ebook/dp/B00B1RF91Q

quote:
Clube and Napier note that:

So huge was the Norse World Tree that its branches stretched out over heaven and earth. It apparently had three main roots and daily reappeared with all the other gods, galloping over the Bifrost that some have identified as the Milky Way, a rainbow bridge that glowed with fire. We wonder whether it was really a meteor stream in the ecliptic.

https://www.amazon.com/Exodus-...Comets/dp/0713483520

Posts: 910 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because you seem to be arguing as if this is actually about a snake...that people are afraid of. I don't see it that way at all. The serpent represents Wisdom, Death, and Resurrection, among other things.
Now, if you want to argue that some people are afraid of Wisdom, Death, and Resurrection...you'll get no argument from me on that one, because I'm aware that people are afraid of what they do not understand.

It's a wonder you did not hear our scream of anguish.

Spent an effing long time answering this, then lost the bloody lot.

Fresh start;

First, I have no argument with what you say.

My issue is I go much further back than anyone else here.

We are an evolved animal, and would have feared snakes long before we came down from the trees so, first and foremost, snakes invoked fear.

Once we had created the snake as a symbol of fear, not hard to see us giving them legs, then wings and, given the venom in their bite, flames emerging from their mouths.

Given that rhesus monkeys* can think in symbols (and dolphins call each other by their individual names), just what does go on in our brains?

We were burying our dead while we still lived alongside our Neanderthal cousins, so under ground became associated with death. When did under ground become the Underworld?

What did snakes learn underground? What did they know that we did not? Plenty of mythology of snakes licking the ears of people who then became prophets.

The Great Goddess often had snakes as her familiars—sometimes twining around her sacred staff, as in ancient Crete—and they were worshiped as guardians of her mysteries of birth and regeneration.[6]

Cultures all over the world, the Cretans, Greeks, Chinese, a variety of American cultures, all place enormous value on the snake symbol, both as good and bad; fertility, potent guardians of temples and other sacred spaces, providing expanded consciousness (and even the elixir of life and immortality), vengefulness and vindictiveness,
poison and medicine. How many of them moved the serpent symbol into astrology, adding even more meaning?

Buddha, sitting in the position of meditation, his weight supported by the coils of a multi-headed naga that also uses its flared hood to shield him from above.

In other cultures,[which?] snakes symbolized the umbilical cord, joining all humans to Mother Earth.

In the Gospel of John 3:14–15, Jesus makes direct comparison between the raising up of the Son of Man and the act of Moses in raising up the serpent as a sign, using it as a symbol associated with salvation: "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life".

Much more on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_(symbolism)

Who were the original humans to make all those associations? What inspired them?

* Now, PNAS reports that a team of Harvard and Yale researchers has trained rhesus macaque monkeys to recognize two sets of symbols, with 26 symbols in each set. And the monkeys demonstrated an ability to add them together!
http://bigthink.com/think-tank...c-math-using-symbols