Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Two neuron modules had a great time last night.

Waiting for a World Cup game, I filled in time re-watching my favourite Saint, Roger Moore, as Bond, James Bond, in Octopussy.

One module thoroughly enjoyed the sheer fun of it, watching sensible people doing and saying things no sensible people in their right minds would would even think of doing and saying in real life.

The other module was kept occupied wondering what sort of minds were in the scriptwriters who created scripts which had sensible people doing and saying things sensible people would never think of doing and saying.

Some of the subtleties were brilliant, and once again I had to wonder just how many viewers recognised them all. Especially non-Brits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1635 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Surely you're not saying those movies are unrealistic or something? Smile   :)

Posts: 9063 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:

What on earth made you think that?

Posts: 1635 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

Your last sentence?

Posts: 5448 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
quote:

Your last sentence?

How so?

One that got me was a virtually identical role in separate films which had the hero walk alone into a situation where he was outnumbered by armed criminals. In one, supposedly a straight detective drama, it would have been far more sensible, and easy, to call for back-up.

The Bond one was just for laughs. No matter how intensely fascinated by octopuses, no bloke would name his daughter Octopussy. In my life I've had my share of moggies, tabbies, even Siamese, Persians, Burmese, and a Russian Blue, but never once have I had eight pussies to play with.

It was the interplay, many of the comments those esprits de l'escalier one always thinks of when it is too late, the moment gone.

As I said, I thoroughly enjoyed Octopussy. It's just that, as well as enjoying the fun, I was full of admiration for the scriptwriters.

The bit about non-Brits came because many of the little word-plays could only be recognised by those who understand British, especially English, culture. Best examples I can think of here are Morse and Lewis, both of which are set in Oxford. The side references to the Classics, the snide jibes at the Dons, and so on, are all very British.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your last sentence?

How so?

One that got me was a virtually identical role in separate films which had the hero walk alone into a situation where he was outnumbered by armed criminals. In one, supposedly a straight detective drama, it would have been far more sensible, and easy, to call for back-up.

The Bond one was just for laughs. No matter how intensely fascinated by octopuses, no bloke would name his daughter Octopussy. In my life I've had my share of moggies, tabbies, even Siamese, Persians, Burmese, and a Russian Blue, but never once have I had eight pussies to play with.

It was the interplay, many of the comments those esprits de l'escalier one always thinks of when it is too late, the moment gone.

As I said, I thoroughly enjoyed Octopussy. It's just that, as well as enjoying the fun, I was full of admiration for the scriptwriters.

The bit about non-Brits came because many of the little word-plays could only be recognised by those who understand British, especially English, culture. Best examples I can think of here are Morse and Lewis, both of which are set in Oxford. The side references to the Classics, the snide jibes at the Dons, and so on, are all very British.

It’s not directly there, and yes I agree non Brits miss British humor very much like Christians miss Jewish humor and nuances. I think the comment was just a musing when you read something and your head makes a link to something else, sometimes similar.

Posts: 5448 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
https://www.rollingstone.com/p...-obliterated-w521978

So the party's evolution is as much cultural as it is political or ideological.
The two parties for a long time were not homogeneous ideologically. There were plenty of conservatives in the Democratic Party, and there were no small number of liberals in the Republican Party. Now, culturally, we're in thrall to theocratic crackpots like Mike Huckabee and Franklin Graham and Jerry Falwell, where you're able to justify the candidacy of a Roy Moore because you want to keep the Senate seat. The theocracy and crackpot sewer conservatism has taken over.

What you've seen is this rapid devolution over the last 18 months of the Republican Party becoming a white ethno-nationalist party, a blood-and-soil party that is protectionist, isolationist, that is rooted in resentment and grievance.

bryan j borich

Posts: 465 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Hope y'all are staying cool. It's hot and humid here and I've slipped into a funk. Just don't feel much like yapping. That's why I've been absent for a few days.

But I did want to tell ya that I heard from Steve today and he sounded great. He spoke with Mary Jean a few days ago and said she sounded at the top of her game.

Probably won't be posting much until this funk lifts, but I usually read through the posts almost daily, so keep 'em coming.

It's been a little warmer, but still survivable except one day sorta.

bryan j borich

Posts: 465 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Allan:

[BOLD]So, you are saying Jesus is not an aspect of God.[/BOLD]

Not in the way Christian theology makes him, no. In the way old school Judaism said, yes.

[BOLD]However, why on earth would any Ego take the risk of testing the Spirit, a challenge even the most egotistical Ego would not dare to risk. What if it wakened the Spirit to its full capacity?[/BOLD]

For me, the Ego is the Father, Trump on steroids. The Spirit is the Mother. There is a conflict between the two of sorts.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ever thought of reading Peter Ackroyd's Blake?

An interesting insight into a culture which had no doubts about the existence of God nor the accuracy of the Bible.

Blake was in his late teens when your quote was written.

No, but then I mostly stopped reading anything serious for almost the last 18 months, aside from pieces here and there.

bryan j borich

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Good to see this back, just wondering who is still left?

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Just the ones what aren't right!

Posts: 9063 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Isn’t that the truth!

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm in here. Not feeling very chatty though. Allergies messing with me.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4555 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, yes I am!

Posts: 4555 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agreed. I’ve been in a soap opera that just got worse, if that’s possible!

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh, yes I am!

Which makes you left or moderate, right?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Never liked soap operas...

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, yes I am!

Which makes you left or moderate, right?

Left, right?

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Never liked soap operas...

Me less so, especially in person! Niece can’t seem to make a decision based on facts or the future, rather than emotions. She’s trying hard to catch up, but then sabatoges anything she gains.