Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
I'm going to break this into more manageable pieces - and I may only get a bit done tonight - tomorrow being Thanksgiving and all. I'm trying to do much of the prep work tonight.

Edit: I've gone much deeper than I intended, but it's been good therapy, so I'm going to leave it, although it's probably more information than you ever wanted!

quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
I think you know the answer to that. To them education was a necessary evil. Necessary because it was compulsory by law. Which I find strange since both their lives were made considerably more difficult because my father only had a 10th grade education, and my mother only a 6th grade education (although she could read at about the 9th grade level).

Allan: No, I would not have known that, given your own approach to life.

Think of the armed forces. The Supreme Commander is (or should be) the ultimate Alpha. However, all the way from there to the corporal, there must be alphas from further along the curve. How many sergeants and corporals have risen to take over when their officers have been killed?

Alphas have a chance of beating their environment. Those on the other side of the curve have no chance at all. The people I had in mind all those years ago were Glasgow slum dwellers. I've read about them, have seen photos of under-nourished, rickets-ridden, slum children who never had a chance, beaten before they even start in life.

JR: I thought we had discussed this a bit on Amazon, but be that as it may, the point is my parents didn't seem to have learned anything from their own disadvantaged situation. They didn't seem to have wanted anything better for their own children.

It appears they never looked around to find that the more educated had much better opportunities for jobs. They never saw that fewer children meant more advantages for each of them, nor that we no longer lived in a society where everyone had their own farm, wherein they could use child labor to support the family on that farm.

I started seeing it when I was 8 years old. Why didn't they?

Allan: In my day, as I have seen later in life, an 8th grade education was more than enough for my fully supported classmates to do well in life.

As I said at the Pub, I put this aside for deeper thought, then had some distractions, so my apologies for the delay.

My immediate reaction was enough to gave me pause. It took me back a very long way, when I used to see right-wingers say about people far worse off than you who, like you, were capable of rising above their adverse environment. If one can do it, all can do it if they try, was their response.

Simply not true.

Come back to my bell curve. Make it alphas and others this time.

JR: An 8th grade education means a fairly difficult life here, from what I can see. Yeah, one can "get by", but that is just about it.

My father (had 9 children) and 2 of my brothers (oldest has no children, the other has 2) would have been destitute had they not been drafted or joined the military where they were assessed as having natural mechanical abilities. When my father left the military, he became a heavy equipment mechanic, usually working on road paving/earth moving vehicles/machines. The 2 brothers left the military to eventually become truck drivers after short stints as auto mechanics. Neither of them were willing to continue on to become certified. Neither of them ever put a dime away for retirement. If it were not for SS and Medicare, they would both be living under bridges. As it is, they barely get by.

My severely dyslexic brother (no children) worked on a fern farm in FL for a number of years then tried his hand at washing dishes in a restaurant, finally becoming the night maintenance man because he was so reliable. His "people skills" are fairly shallow, and he works well alone once he knows what is expected of him. Considering his disability, he has done well for himself.

The drug-head brother (no children) would never commit himself to working any job that required he maintain a weekly work schedule, so he pretty much cycles between tree farm, remodeling, floor sanding, with plenty of out-of-work time. Never puts a dime away for a rainy day...or retirement.

The youngest (no children) works at a Home Depot in the Construction Materials area. Spends it all on "boy toys" - that is, a "souped up truck" that he wouldn't dare haul anything in. Puts nothing away for retirement or rainy day.

The sis (no children) I'm buying a house with worked most of her life in a laboratory testing surgical instruments. But she did manage to place funds in a 401K to supplement SS after retirement.

Baby sis (3 children) went into nursing, but blew it all when she hooked up with some mentally unstable woman who claimed to have certain religious abilities (after coming off her psychiatric medications...). After spending a couple of years in jail for manslaughter (auto accident), she now works as a hotel manager. Lives from day to day - nothing put away. Figures she'll go live with one of her children when the time comes for retirement.

The other one (2 children) smashed her life to bits after she and her husband got busted selling illegal drugs (never users though - just greedy). After 7-9? years in jail (her husband did 11? years), and losing all their property (which was considerable), now makes bridal/baby shower gifts/displays that she sells on the internet. No retirement put away.

I (no children) went from college to waitress, to CPA data entry, to secretary, to federal employee (originally in Internal Revenue data entry, then as secretary in Personnel), and kept increasing my knowledge, training, and skills by moving into Operations, until I became a Military Support to Civil Authorities (MSCA) Subject Matter Expert (SME). Started saving in my early 30s for retirement. Retired at age 60 with 2 retirement accounts plus SS.

IOW Allan, we all grew up in basically the same homelife. Poor. Uneducated. Unambitious. When my father died just before reaching the age of 60, he had no retirement, nor savings account (Granted, it took everything he earned to support such a big family), nor life insurance. Mom did receive some sort of SS death benefit for the 4 children remaining at home until the youngest dropped out of school. Then all she received was a spousal/survivor benefit from my father's SS account. Meanwhile, mom started working as a house cleaning lady and stashed every dime away that she could. Her intention was to pay for her own funeral and leave my baby brother all the rest for "taking care of her."

Mom had the least education of all, yet she, one sis, and I are the only ones to save anything toward retirement.

Baby sis and I are the only ones who made the effort to get any education beyond high school.

Two of the boys managed to use their military training in mechanics to bump themselves into truck driving, but neither made any further effort to continue mechanics training in trade school (much more lucrative than truck driving).

So IMHO, it seems to be about much more than "Alphas and others." Seems it has more to do with what one's vision is for themselves, and what they are willing to do about where they want to go. Bottom line: It's all about attitude.

Heard my father once say, "I'll never buy life insurance. That's like betting you will die!" The first time I was offered a life insurance policy at my workplace, I pondered the offer in the face of what he had said. My thinking went pretty much like this:

How many 100 year olds do you know?
80 year olds?
People die.
How many kids who've lost parents to an accident or disease?
How many children die before their parents?
People die young.
Who pays for the funeral if you don't have insurance?
Who pays your outstanding debts?
Get insurance.

I bought the insurance. He never did. In fact, my mother and I are the only ones who've ever considered life insurance. Neither of us want to burden anyone else with our funeral expenses or outstanding debts. Attitude.

So...are you saying Alpha is an attitude?

If so, then we are in agreement. Just never considered myself an alpha. Simply determined. Prudent. And in possession of a fair amount of common sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4555 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Bryan has been hospitalized. They are checking his heart function, thyroid function, and have ordered a sleep study.

Will keep you informed.

Posts: 4555 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:
I'm going to break this into more manageable pieces - and I may only get a bit done tonight - tomorrow being Thanksgiving and all. I'm trying to do much of the prep work tonight.
Edit: I've gone much deeper than I intended, but it's been good therapy, so I'm going to leave it, although it's probably more information than you ever wanted! [QUOTE]

Hardly. ICB needs far more information, so we can be as good as we fondly imagine we are.

JR: I thought we had discussed this a bit on Amazon, but be that as it may, the point is my parents didn't seem to have learned anything from their own disadvantaged situation. They didn't seem to have wanted anything better for their own children.

Allan: Still think, while it is perfectly understandable, you are being too harsh.

To take up your question about Alphas: you and I see this differently.
So IMHO, it seems to be about much more than "Alphas and others." Seems it has more to do with what one's vision is for themselves, and what they are willing to do about where they want to go. Bottom line: It's all about attitude.

One difference is I see "attitude" in another way. Environment more than anything is what creates attitude. Imagine if no one was permitted to learn about any religion until their adult mind was fully developed in a neutral environment designed solely to evaluate and develop their full potentials, whatever they might be.

You've no doubt seen what has been said about convincing a Martian that the religious deities are real.

https://www.theguardian.com/sc...gical-terms-at-least
“You talk to God, you’re religious. God talks to you, you’re psychotic.”

One of my real problems is my mind is packed with snippets of information, all of which, in their own ways, are cobbled together to form my unorthodoxy.

We are evolved tribal animals, genetically programmed to perform a variety of roles. We have Alphas to lead, followers to do what they are told. If we were all Alphas, or all followers, we'd achieve nothing.

Alphas can breed followers (think European royalty), and lower-class followers can breed Alphas (think Keir Hardie).

Personal environments can reinforce this.

It would seem your parents were genetically programmed well along this bell curve. Combined with their status in life, I'd say they had little chance right from their own personal beginnings. I can't know, but I suspect their parents also were conditioned by their environment to be followers.

Far be it from me to remind you yet again that I see women as necessarily different Wink   ;)

They seem more capable of breaking away from stereotypes. Just as you and your sister did. Think back on that UK program designed to break primary schoolboys out of their environmental roles, their stereotypical way of understanding themselves.

See what I mean? I (no children) went from college to waitress, to CPA data entry, to secretary, to federal employee (originally in Internal Revenue data entry, then as secretary in Personnel), and kept increasing my knowledge, training, and skills by moving into Operations, until I became a Military Support to Civil Authorities (MSCA) Subject Matter Expert (SME). Started saving in my early 30s for retirement. Retired at age 60 with 2 retirement accounts plus SS.

In other words, just like Keir Hardie, you are programmed differently.

All this, too, fits in sweetly with my assessment that, as a 300,000yo tribal animal, we have yet to catch up with the fact we are living, not as hunter-gatherers, but as city animals in a hi-tech era. A mere 5000 or so years out of 300,000 years of living. No much room these days for males programmed to be hunters and warriors. So where do these males go?

Nowhere, until our education systems are totally changed to meet our entirely different 21st century lives and needs.

Problem is, we do need hunters and warriors. Just nowhere near as many as we once did.

The break for women began more than a century ago, forced along by the need for women to work in factories, deliver military aircraft, and all the other breaks women benefited from during WWI and WWII especially.

Now it's our turn.

If only...

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1635 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Took a break to have a rethink, and want to add this.

I said my mind is stuffed with facts. It's only when I actually ask myself why I phrased something the way I did that I can see what is going on.

Today, there is far too much information for anyone to deal with. We need some nerds to create a program which can get all of that information into every field where it is relevant.

How many today understand the feudal system? They can know of it, but can they actually experience it, emphasise with it?

I say no.

If one was born into royalty, one remained a royal even if one were a dummkopf. If one were a pleb, one remained a pleb no matter how intellectually brilliant.

Was drinking in a UK pub when I met a truck-driver. Having at one stage driven and hired out my own truck, I asked him if he had plans to set himself up in business. No way. He was working class and had no right to become a business owner.

Think back to when I was playing word games, and the problem I have with those who see mythology as no more than fairy stories created by "primitive savages".

I'm really getting deep into Hancock, who does understand mythology. Not only that, he knows it is all metaphor, and works bloody hard to reinterpret mythological terms in modern language. Just like today's scientists talk about Dark Matter/Dark Energy.

Just reached the chapter when he discusses the oldest Egyptian hieroglyph stela. It talks about the gods making a rope ladder for humans to climb so they can learn and share what the gods know (in sharp contrast to Zeus and the Bible deity, who punished those with such audacity).

Now I'm waiting to see if he knows that same ladder metaphor is in every shamanic culture I know of. Sometimes the rungs are rope, sometimes they are sharp swords. Hancock is fully aware of the similar shamanic tree metaphor, and often refers to Yggdrasil and other examples.

Hancock is exploring the well-known fact that all major cultures talk about greatly advanced knowledge which has been handed down by a (IMO relatively) advanced civilisation which dates back at least some 12,000 years. How can we explore this when we know bugger-all about metaphorical mythological language?

At least some geologists have cottoned on to the value of doing this. Who cares if a volcano was metaphorically a fire-breathing smoke-belching, boulder-throwing monster? Strip the metaphors down to modern terminology and we have historic facts which explain what actually happened.

You will have seen me say today's youngsters will never understand the metaphor of the loving, caring, shepherd when all they know is restricted to TV clips of men in helicopters and motor-bikes rounding up near-feral sheep to exploit them as food or wool producers.

Your family, like so many others, was conditioned into accepting their place in life.

It was the likes of Keir Hardie and Karl Marx who broke those historic ties. How can we understand equality and democracy if we do not understand how they came about?

Oooops. The kookaburras are calling. Till tomorrow.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bryan has been hospitalized. They are checking his heart function, thyroid function, and have ordered a sleep study.

Will keep you informed.

Sleep study is good, I’m surprised it hasn’t already been done!

Posts: 5448 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Took a break to have a rethink, and want to add this.

I said my mind is stuffed with facts. It's only when I actually ask myself why I phrased something the way I did that I can see what is going on.

Today, there is far too much information for anyone to deal with. We need some nerds to create a program which can get all of that information into every field where it is relevant.

How many today understand the feudal system? They can know of it, but can they actually experience it, emphasise with it?

I say no.

If one was born into royalty, one remained a royal even if one were a dummkopf. If one were a pleb, one remained a pleb no matter how intellectually brilliant.

Was drinking in a UK pub when I met a truck-driver. Having at one stage driven and hired out my own truck, I asked him if he had plans to set himself up in business. No way. He was working class and had no right to become a business owner.

Think back to when I was playing word games, and the problem I have with those who see mythology as no more than fairy stories created by "primitive savages".

I'm really getting deep into Hancock, who does understand mythology. Not only that, he knows it is all metaphor, and works bloody hard to reinterpret mythological terms in modern language. Just like today's scientists talk about Dark Matter/Dark Energy.

Just reached the chapter when he discusses the oldest Egyptian hieroglyph stela. It talks about the gods making a rope ladder for humans to climb so they can learn and share what the gods know (in sharp contrast to Zeus and the Bible deity, who punished those with such audacity).

Now I'm waiting to see if he knows that same ladder metaphor is in every shamanic culture I know of. Sometimes the rungs are rope, sometimes they are sharp swords. Hancock is fully aware of the similar shamanic tree metaphor, and often refers to Yggdrasil and other examples.

Hancock is exploring the well-known fact that all major cultures talk about greatly advanced knowledge which has been handed down by a (IMO relatively) advanced civilisation which dates back at least some 12,000 years. How can we explore this when we know bugger-all about metaphorical mythological language?

At least some geologists have cottoned on to the value of doing this. Who cares if a volcano was metaphorically a fire-breathing smoke-belching, boulder-throwing monster? Strip the metaphors down to modern terminology and we have historic facts which explain what actually happened.

You will have seen me say today's youngsters will never understand the metaphor of the loving, caring, shepherd when all they know is restricted to TV clips of men in helicopters and motor-bikes rounding up near-feral sheep to exploit them as food or wool producers.

Your family, like so many others, was conditioned into accepting their place in life.

It was the likes of Keir Hardie and Karl Marx who broke those historic ties. How can we understand equality and democracy if we do not understand how they came about?

Oooops. The kookaburras are calling. Till tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing how much you, Reed, and others enjoy your Thanksgiving celebrations.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
We are traveling later today, and then tomorrow. Since we are without water, that’s a good thing! Our local plumber appears to be out of town, so we don’t know what the problem is but the pressure tank is empty!

Posts: 5448 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Giving your thesis some more thought, Allan. Am a little distracted today because of all the telephone calls (family) and with Bryan. Still concerned about Mary Jean because no one has heard anything from her since the 6th of November. But I will try to post something tomorrow?

Bryan is still in the hospital. Thinking he might be released tomorrow or Saturday, but that will mean the sleep study will have to wait until another time.

My family didn't gather with my mom this year for Thanksgiving because the flu is running rampant in the county where she lives...and my baby brother has a sore throat. None of us go near my mother when we are sick. She is too weak to handle that kind of exposure.

Plus my sis and I cannot run the risk of getting sick with the house closing looming (not to mention my teeth extractions coming up).

Hopefully Christmas will present a better opportunity for us.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
We are traveling later today, and then tomorrow. Since we are without water, that’s a good thing! Our local plumber appears to be out of town, so we don’t know what the problem is but the pressure tank is empty!

Good time to be away then!

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Giving your thesis some more thought, Allan. Am a little distracted today because of all the telephone calls (family) and with Bryan. Still concerned about Mary Jean because no one has heard anything from her since the 6th of November. But I will try to post something tomorrow?

Bryan is still in the hospital. Thinking he might be released tomorrow or Saturday, but that will mean the sleep study will have to wait until another time.

My family didn't gather with my mom this year for Thanksgiving because the flu is running rampant in the county where she lives...and my baby brother has a sore throat. None of us go near my mother when we are sick. She is too weak to handle that kind of exposure.

Plus my sis and I cannot run the risk of getting sick with the house closing looming (not to mention my teeth extractions coming up).

Got a note from Bryan, he says he is scavengering food! I had told him that going to the hospital wasn’t the way to change is food options!

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:

Good time to be away then!

Yep. We’re thinking a failing pressure tank as we gat pressure back as we were leaving. We keep water around, but it’s not fun pouring water etc.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks like you will have paid penance for all your mortal sins before the time comes for you to shuffle off this mortal coil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...DMb3iPP-tHdA&index=3

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
Looks like you will have paid penance for all your mortal sins before the time comes for you to shuffle off this mortal coil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...DMb3iPP-tHdA&index=3

Lovely song. Always liked it.

Lord knows my sins are great! But penance wasn't so bad. I did get to speak with most of the family, and I made myself a little cornish hen instead of turkey, along with my favorite dressing and gravy. Made some savory winter squash instead of the usual sweet potatoes and managed with canned cranberry sauce and store-bought pumpkin pie instead of homemade, but it turned out alright.

Miz Baby didn't fuss a bit. Ate her pinches of cornish hen dipped in gravy, a couple of bites of squash. You know that little booger loves canned whipped cream?!?!? Doesn't care much for the pumpkin pie though. Wink   ;)

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
This might take you back a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ2dnzhFD6Y

I envy Miz Baby's appetite. Couldn't even finish a can of soup the other night -- my entire day's intake.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
This might take you back a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ2dnzhFD6Y

I envy Miz Baby's appetite. Couldn't even finish a can of soup the other night -- my entire day's intake.

Saved that album to my favorites bar. That'll take me back for sure!

Miz Baby even loves tomato soup! Floored me the first time I gave her a taste on my finger (to keep her out of my bowl!), she licked it, pushed her face down toward the bowl, so I then dipped another finger in the soup. She was still licking when I finally ran out of fingers to dip. So I gave her the bowl to lick. That little booger licked it clean!

Sounds like you need to make some changes - either to your diet, or to your eating habits.

I find that I do better when I eat more, but smaller, meals per day. Try to keep it simple though.

Scrambled egg with a bit of cheese and crumbled sausage mixed in.
Glass of eggnog.
Small baked potato stuffed with cheese, bacon or crumbled sausage, and something green (like leftover cooked broccoli).

Half can of tomato soup with half a grilled cheese sandwich.
Slice of roasted beef or pork, meatloaf, or chicken breast, with salad.
Warmed and mashed pinto beans with melted cheese, jarred jalapeno peppers, salsa and corn tortilla chips, AKA Nachos.
Salad with slices of beef or chicken, crumbled cheese and croutons.

Tuna-melt, which is an open-faced tuna sandwich topped with cheese and run under the grill (a Jewish favorite).
Scrambled or egg salad sandwich.
Veggi stir fry with rice.

I try to make my life easier by buying precooked turkey sausage crumbles, precooked bacon (which I wrap in paper towels and pop into the microwave to crisp up), shredded and crumbled cheeses, cans of mashed pinto beans (called "refried beans"), bags of salad croutons, tuna, salsa, tortilla chips, prepackaged meatloaf, and variety of precooked meats like roasts, etc.

Here is a recipe for Indian Vegetable Korma, but if you have a nice Indian restaurant nearby, go get yourself a couple of quarts and freeze some in individual servings. It's great with rice or naan bread, which you can also get at an Indian restaurant. All you'll need is meat (if you insist) and something to drink. Love the stuff.
https://thewanderlustkitchen.c...ian-vegetable-korma/

Or go to a Chinese restaurant and pick up several servings of fried rice. I get my local restaurant's "house" fried rice which has pork, chicken, and shrimp.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Good night sweet prince. The bed is calling and Baby is already softly snoring!

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Sleep   :sleep:

Posts: 9063 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Sleep   :sleep:

OMG there's 2 of you!

Good night sweet prince!

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Still thinking, Allan.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still thinking, Allan.

With two of us in bed with you, I'm shattered to think you still have the energy.