Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Still thinking, Allan.

With two of us in bed with you, I'm shattered to think you still have the energy.

Lol, so that's why I'm feeling so crowded...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4573 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Yep, three's a crowd... (or so I've heard)

Posts: 9066 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your family, like so many others, was conditioned into accepting their place in life.

Not buying it. Fact is, this country clearly rejected the "class system" and teaches that you can be whatever you strive to be. You can grow up dirt poor and become president...or Elvis Presley, Oprah Winfrey, Howard Schultz...

Born Poor

IOW Allan, I was taught the same things at home that my brothers and sisters were taught. Not much was expected except that the boys would work and the girls would become somebody's wife and produce children.

I was taught the same things in school that they were taught. You could grow up to become whatever you were willing to pursue, even becoming President of the USA.

The real difference, as far as I can see, is that I was willing to learn, dream, and pursue, whereas most of them were not. I never expected it to be easy, and it wasn't. I also tried to place myself outside my station in life in order to expose myself to different learning situations. Started by dating boys who attended college or intended to. None of my other siblings ever did. Baby sis and I are the only 2 who had books in our houses all our lives. The others didn't bother with them. At all.

Posts: 4573 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Yep, three's a crowd... (or so I've heard)

And possibly a bit too warm...?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Bryan is home...but feeling very tired. Hasn't said yet if they found what was wrong.

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bryan is home...but feeling very tired. Hasn't said yet if they found what was wrong.

From Bryan about an hour ago talking to Linda on Facebook:

quote:

Bryan 11hrs
Forget Scotty and beam me up, I need Dr McCoy,
McCoy: (McCoy, masked and in surgical garb, passes an elderly woman groaning on a gurney in the hallway) What's the matter with you?
Elderly patient: (weakly) Kidney
(pause)
Elderly patient: dialysis.
McCoy: (genuinely surprised) Dialysis?
(musing to himself)
McCoy: What is this, the Dark Ages?
(He turns back to the patient and hands her a large white pill)
McCoy: Here,
(pause)
McCoy: you swallow that, and if you have any more problems, just call me!
(He pats her cheek and leaves)

Linda Is there a hidden message here? Did they find something wrong with your kidneys?
2h

Bryan Sorta. It's more that they couldn't really find anything. No real surprise.
1h

Posts: 910 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not buying it.

Which only means I am failing to sell it properly.

If I can use my advertising skills to convince you we are all on an assortment of bell curves, I might have a chance.

None of us are clones of anyone else, so it takes a great deal to get inside someone else's head, even our own family.

I have two sisters and a brother, all reasonably successful, all producing children who also have done well, and now grandchildren who look as though they will continue upwards. In many ways we are very similar. In other ways we are anything but.

The real difference, as far as I can see, is that I was willing to learn, dream, and pursue, whereas most of them were not. I never expected it to be easy, and it wasn't. I also tried to place myself outside my station in life in order to expose myself to different learning situations.

Exactly. That IS the difference.

You are at one place on the bell curve, they are are much further along the line.

Take me (no, not that way).

I was given a chance to educate myself further after having to leave high school because of family finances.

But, in those early days, I had neither the drive nor the incentive to go further. Couldn't be bothered with one post-school tutor because, as you'd expect, I reckoned I understood more than she did.

Instead, until my late 20s I coasted along in a job I enjoyed, making enough money to live exactly as I wanted.

Then I met my Ynys Afallon soulmate, putting me into an entirely different environment, my first experience of university students.

That was fun.

We got along socially, but her mother let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not good enough for her daughter.

Later, more than 10,000 miles apart, my soulmate and I decided we really should be together.

So what did I do? Went back to night school, matriculated with relative ease, and spent some 18 successful months at uni, which I thrived on, before she went elsewhere and I took a chance to enter journalism.

It was that change in my environment which dictated the change in me, nothing else.

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1636 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:
Linda Is there a hidden message here? Did they find something wrong with your kidneys?
2h

Bryan Sorta. It's more that they couldn't really find anything. No real surprise.
1h

That causes me to be rather concerned. When he went to ER a few years ago, they couldn't find anything either. In fact, they were trying to boot him out of ER. Within an hour, they had him in surgery for a brain aneurysm.

Then, after they released him from the hospital to rehab, I got a call from him saying he was feeling the same way he had felt when he had gone to ER. He said no one at rehab would listen to him. I phoned rehab and read them up on what had happened when he arrived at ER. He was back in surgery shortly after he was taken back to the hospital.

Right now he just keeps saying he is extremely tired...and he was thinking it was AFIB before he went to ER this time.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Not buying it.

quote:
Which only means I am failing to sell it properly.

If I can use my advertising skills to convince you we are all on an assortment of bell curves, I might have a chance.

quote:
The real difference, as far as I can see, is that I was willing to learn, dream, and pursue, whereas most of them were not. I never expected it to be easy, and it wasn't. I also tried to place myself outside my station in life in order to expose myself to different learning situations.

quote:
Exactly. That IS the difference.

You are at one place on the bell curve, they are are much further along the line.

But, in those early days, I had neither the drive nor the incentive to go further. Couldn't be bothered with one post-school tutor because, as you'd expect, I reckoned I understood more than she did.

It was that change in my environment which dictated the change in me, nothing else.

The difference between us is that I had the desire and drive before I was exposed to the environment. I deliberately placed myself in the environment because of the desire and drive.

I knew I could do better than what I was being brought up to be. I knew I was a little higher on the IQ level than my parents and siblings. The desire for more came from within, not some external environmental factor.

You are placing the incentive on environment, and I on personal desire, because I knew I could do better. And since I could do better, I expected nothing less of myself. The more anyone tried to hold me back, the more determined I became to push forward; IOW, in spite of my environment. My vision of myself overrode the vision presented by my environment.

Maybe we are talking in circles. Dunno. I'm still a bit distracted with Bryan's situation, the house, the teeth...

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are placing the incentive on environment, and I on personal desire, because I knew I could do better.
...The difference between us is that I had the desire and drive before I was exposed to the environment. I deliberately placed myself in the environment because of the desire and drive.

No, you were in an environment from the time you were conceived. In addition, the sperm and ovum which became you also were the product of environments. How were your parents brought up, how well cared for were they, how well fed were they?

Just what I have suspected all along. I am failing to communicate. What you are seeing has never been my intention.

We are born genetically programmed, and that programming is the foundation of what we become. Hence my oft-repeated comment on our brain neuron modules.

An obvious issue here; we all like to think we are in some way independent of everything but ourselves. It simply is not so. We are all products first of our inborn programming, second of our environment.

Hard to accept, I know, but we have bugger-all to do with it until we begin to mature; in my case, somewhere around 30 years of age.

Think of Nicolae Ceausescu's Romanian orphans. No matter what their potential, all those who spent the first four years or so of their lives chained up in cots could never become developed adults.

Worth reading this in its entirety, if only to see what happened with Izidor Ruckel.

And this: We adopted our beautiful daughter from this orphanage when she was 2 1/2 s of age. She continues to struggle with her life she became an amazing classical singer with well renowned universities wanting her to enroll, but her past continues to haunt her and leaves feeling helpless and desperate, is there any escape from her horrific past? She has been to many therapist but they don't understand her painful past. I will continue to be an advocate for my daughter that has so much to give but is heavily burdened with a past that no one seems to understand. Susan

https://www.abc.net.au/radiona...s-orphanages/5543388
Photos of infants with their heads shaved, chained to their cribs and lying in puddles of urine rocked the globe. Some 170,000 orphans were discovered crammed into 700 institutions. The children were being raised in overcrowded, state-run orphanages where child rearing was approached with Soviet-style efficiency. The result was a generation brought up without care, social interaction, stimulation or psychological comfort. Romania’s institutionalised children displayed profound developmental delays and abnormal social-emotional behaviour.
...Several researchers from the MacArthur Network have drawn parallels between the behaviour of institutionalised children and the maternally-deprived monkeys in scientist Harry Harlow’s famous experiments. Working at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the mid-20th century, Harlow found that rhesus monkeys without a maternal figure displayed numerous psychological malfunctions, including abnormal attachment behaviours, repetitive motor movements and significantly compromised intellectual function.
...Still, while children in foster care made some improvements, there were certain deficits that were never able to be reversed. This supported the concept of a ‘sensitive period’ of acquisition, where experiences must occur within a narrow timeframe for development of a particular skill to occur.

I need to watch Secret Lives of Babies again. As I remember it, we are all programmed with the desire to learn, in large part because human children are born far earlier in their lives than any other animal. How often have to seen turtles break out of their eggs, dig their way up through the sand, then run in one direction only, towards the sea? I saw a similar approach with Galapagos iguanas. One, at least, is born in volcanic hollows well inland. Not only do they dig themselves out, they are genetically programmed to recognise predators and hide from them as they make their way, once again, straight to the water's edge.

We, on the other hand, are entirely dependent until we are around six or seven.

We are shaped by the way we are brought up.

That is when our personal programming kicks in.

Well and good if that programming decrees we want to learn. Stiff sh*t if we are programmed to do as we are told, and only that.

I see it all the time; youngsters who, as with your parents, have been brought up to place no emphasis on learning, yet some -- not all -- are genetically programmed to overcome that poor start, just as you and one sister were.

All it took, in some instances, was my NLP "yet". No question in my mind that some of these youngsters had been environmentally programmed to believe they will fail. Told you some time back of a perfect example of this, a youngster who would reject his first, accurate, result, and move on to replace it with a wrong answer. His brain had been programmed, by parents and/or teachers, to fail, and it made bloody sure it did. Took months to replace that programming. Different lad altogether when we succeeded.

Can you remember anyone at all from your childhood, family, friend, teacher, who encouraged you, praised you when you did well? Someone who did indeed tell you that you were smarter?

MTC

Posts: 1636 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, you were in an environment from the time you were conceived. In addition, the sperm and ovum which became you also were the product of environments. How were your parents brought up, how well cared for were they, how well fed were they?

I can go along with that, but only up to a point.

What little I know of my parents upbringing probably isn't sufficient to draw any hard and fast conclusions. They didn't talk about it much, but I did meet all my grandparents and most of my parent's siblings.

My father was the oldest of 6, and his mother was rather stern, but fair. My mom was the second of 9 (oldest girl), and her mother was feisty and a bit wise. Both my grandfathers were alcoholics and detached. My mother's father was a mean drunk (I never saw him sober), my father's father was always looking for an argument/debate. Neither were responsible, typical heads of household (for that time period), that position fell to their mothers. Whereas in our house, my father ruled the roost and my mother was housekeeper and baby making machine and baby sitter until we older ones were old enough to relieve her of some of it.

My mother didn't seem to have a warm relationship with her mother, although I liked her best of all my relatives (I am also more like her than my mother or father). My father seemed to respect his mother. Neither of my parents cared much for their fathers, and for good reason, IMHO.

Both parents seemed to have had a decent amount of food, though certainly not abundantly so. Evidently mom had more than her fair share of beans and potatoes. They were her least favorite foods!

Neither of my parents were affectionate, nor were their parents. I can well recall my mother holding my younger siblings; it was merely perfunctory. She never caressed, cooed, or tried to talk to them. My father was detached and I cannot recall him ever holding any of us.

We were not allowed to "make noise" when dad was in the house. Even at the table, we could only request food to be passed or answer a question if he should ask one. If we should ever be so forward as to ask a question, we were immediately dismissed with a "Don't worry about that, go do this or that." The only real "contact" we had with him was when he beat the hell out of us. We had no "conversations" with my parents; they simply issued commands and expected immediate compliance. If one of us were accused of anything by anybody, you were never asked, simply presumed guilty and beaten.

I remember when we lived behind another large family. Oh, how I envied those kids! Their mother was almost as wide as she was tall (about 5'4"ish). She was always hugging and kissing and praising her kids (all about our ages). They would walk up to her in the kitchen and put their arm around her. She would dip a spoon in whatever she was cooking, pop it into their mouth, and ask them what they thought. She would look them straight in the eye and tell them she loved them. If her hair was coming loose, they would pin it back up for her - even the boys! Those kids wallowed all over their mother and father as if they were pups.

If her kids were accused of anything, she defended them all the way to hell and back. Then read them the riot act and grounded them if she found out that they were guilty.

They were loud and unruly when outdoors. Lots of conversations and questions between parents and kids. Happy. And family. Real family.

quote:
We are born genetically programmed, and that programming is the foundation of what we become. Hence my oft-repeated comment on our brain neuron modules.

An obvious issue here; we all like to think we are in some way independent of everything but ourselves. It simply is not so. We are all products first of our inborn programming, second of our environment.

Hard to accept, I know, but we have bugger-all to do with it until we begin to mature; in my case, somewhere around 30 years of age.

quote:
We, on the other hand, are entirely dependent until we are around six or seven.

We are shaped by the way we are brought up.

That is when our personal programming kicks in.

Well and good if that programming decrees we want to learn. Stiff sh*t if we are programmed to do as we are told, and only that.

I see it all the time; youngsters who, as with your parents, have been brought up to place no emphasis on learning, yet some -- not all -- are genetically programmed to overcome that poor start, just as you and one sister were.

Don't know much about genetics and DNA. What I noticed is that a couple of us cared to make the most of our opportunity to learn. And I noticed that only 3 out of 9 of us ever had children of their own.

quote:
Can you remember anyone at all from your childhood, family, friend, teacher, who encouraged you, praised you when you did well? Someone who did indeed tell you that you were smarter?

Don't recall much in the way of praise or encouragement, just "well done" from my teachers for my grades and attendance record. Do remember being given an IQ test in 8th grade. Was told that I was reading at 2nd year college level (but I was not top of the class) and there was talk of having me skip a grade. I asked them not to do that because I didn't want my father's attention drawn to the fact that I was disobeying him by continuing to do not only my homework, but extra book reports for extra credit. And since my older brother had already failed the 6th grade - that placed both of us in the same grade. Had I skipped a grade, being a year younger, would have been a grade ahead of him.

That was the same year our English teacher had to leave for an emergency and I was asked to sub for the remainder of the class period (very unusual request to make of a student). And I told NO ONE at home!

I only recall being told by some of the students that I was "too pretty to be a nerd." And I know that my grades far exceeded those of my siblings. Realized that I was ahead of my parents in my studies simply by listening to some of their conversations with other adults. At about the age of 12, I also realized that I was more mature than my mother. I remember feeling so forlorn (much like "a motherless child") when I realized that I had already outgrown her.

Hmmm, it just occurred to me that it's entirely possible that my parents never insisted my siblings do their homework, and actually forbid me to do mine, and never checked our report cards because they may have been fully aware that we would soon surpass their levels of education, and they were uncomfortable with that? A picture just popped in my mind wherein I was 10 years old. My mother met me at the door as I walked in from school. She was holding my 1 yo baby sis as she walked straight up to me and said, "Dump those books and take this baby." And then she dumped her in my arms like a sack of potatoes. From then on, every day after school, baby sis was my responsibility until I left for school the next morning.

I realized baby sis was smart when she was about 3 years old. Much smarter than the other siblings I had babysat.
She was quiet and very eager to learn. She loved being read to. I'd read some of my history, science, and mandatory reading assignments to her. She was quick to pick up a book and try to read, so I started checking out library books at 1st grade level and began teaching her to read. None of my earlier siblings had been like that. They just wanted to be held and rocked or were busily making you crazy trying to do everything they were not allowed to do!

This has been good therapy for me whether it solves our understanding of environmental or genetic programming or not. However, this girl has got to go to bed!

Good night and God bless!

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bryan has been hospitalized. They are checking his heart function, thyroid function, and have ordered a sleep study.

Will keep you informed.

JR,

I'm SO glad Bryan has stayed in touch with you, and didn't depend on me to keep the Amazon refugees updated on his situation. I should have known he would. You are a vital part of his online support network, so I should have realized he'd keep you informed of any important developments in his life, such as hospitalizations.

I do have a valid excuse for the last two hours though. I signed into Aantares for the express purpose of giving everyone a belated heads-up about Bryan's situation. Then I became so fascinated--and horrified!--by your account of your unhappy childhood that I had to read every word. Very different from my childhood, which was also horrible but in a totally different way.

Anyway. About all I can do is fill you in on the day or so leading up to his hospitalization, because I was involved with that on Facebook, using Facebook Messenger or private chat. I put him in touch with a San Diego friend who was able and willing to help him with the preparations.

More about that in another post though.

--Linda

P.S. I didn't read the whole thread, only the last page. Then I went to the previous page to see where you and bluelamp started talking about Bryan. I'm very grateful he's been keeping you informed about developments on Facebook, although obviously he can't see my one-on-one conversations with Bryan.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18668 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
quote:
Bryan has been hospitalized. They are checking his heart function, thyroid function, and have ordered a sleep study.

Will keep you informed.

JR,

I'm SO glad Bryan has stayed in touch with you, and didn't depend on me to keep the Amazon refugees updated on his situation. I should have known he would. You are a vital part of his online support network, so I should have realized he'd keep you informed of any important developments in his life, such as hospitalizations.

I do have a valid excuse for the last two hours though. I signed into Aantares for the express purpose of giving everyone a belated heads-up about Bryan's situation. Then I became so fascinated--and horrified!--by your account of your unhappy childhood that I had to read every word. Very different from my childhood, which was also horrible but in a totally different way.

Anyway. About all I can do is fill you in on the day or so leading up to his hospitalization, because I was involved with that on Facebook, using Facebook Messenger or private chat. I put him in touch with a San Diego friend who was able and willing to help him with the preparations.

More about that in another post though.

--Linda

P.S. I didn't read the whole thread, only the last page. Then I went to the previous page to see where you and bluelamp started talking about Bryan. I'm very grateful he's been keeping you informed about developments on Facebook, although obviously he can't see my one-on-one conversations with Bryan.

Hey Raksha! Dang it's good to hear from you!

Yeah, I'm kinda like Bryan's mother hen...for better or worse. Now if I can but get MrsExp to check in and let me know how she's doing, I can rest easy.

Oh, and don't get too worked up over my childhood. I don't spend much time thinking about it. In fact, it sometimes almost feels like it happened to someone else. I'm a very different person than what I was raised to be, and in many ways it made me very strong by solidifying in my mind what I didn't want my life to be like. I'm OK with it.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it is on your news reports, and need to share this with you all:

Bhutanese twins Nima and Dawa have left a Melbourne hospital as individual “cheeky” girls, weeks after life-changing surgery to separate them.
The 15-month-old sisters left the Royal Children’s hospital in Melbourne in a pram with their mother, Bhumchu Zangmo, after successful surgery on 9 November.
The sisters had spent their lives joined at the torso until the operation.
https://www.theguardian.com/au...ave-hospital-surgery

Love the photo.

The family will stay in Australia until the doctors are satisfied with their progress and say they can go home to Bhutan.

Just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/channe...Ve2R4ucoMzJP53o38Yaw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiggles
The Wiggles celebrated their 25th anniversary with a performance by the new members, published as a free podcast on iTunes, in front of the Apple Store in Sydney in January 2016. In February, the original group members were to perform a charity concert for their fans over the age of 18, who were part of their first audiences, at the Dee Why RSL club in Sydney.[89][90][91]

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Great to see you again, Raksha. Like so many others, I've missed you.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can go along with that, but only up to a point.
... Whereas in our house, my father ruled the roost and my mother was housekeeper and baby making machine and baby sitter until we older ones were old enough to relieve her of some of it.

Oh, I can relate to that. I was nothing more than an in-house sperm bank and a walking ATM.

You do have a delightful knack of reinforcing my biases. Just comparing your home life with that of your loving neighbour family confirms it all for me.

The wonder is you and your sister rose above such a destructive environment

As you well know, my brood was given every encouragement. Not just from me; their mother and her siblings were the first in their family to reach university. Her Dad was a remarkable man, a Commando in WWII, rising from, so far as I can tell, a farm-labourer to own his own highly successful strawberry farms after they migrated here. He was loved and respected by everyone who knew him.

I realized baby sis was smart when she was about 3 years old. Much smarter than the other siblings I had babysat. She was quiet and very eager to learn. She loved being read to. I'd read some of my history, science, and mandatory reading assignments to her. She was quick to pick up a book and try to read, so I started checking out library books at 1st grade level and began teaching her to read.

My shelves were packed with books, and I had a wide range of vinyl records. My four all played musical instruments, something my grandchildren also do. One reason was I had seen that learning to play a musical instrument led to a uniting of both sides of the brain, which further aided education.

One of the many promises my ex broke was our TV agreement. It was to be restricted, any programs having to have real value.

Instead, she acquired four sets, and sat down with our children to watch soap operas.

Despite that, when I travel in their cars the radio is tuned into classic music programs.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know if it is on your news reports, and need to share this with you all:

Bhutanese twins Nima and Dawa have left a Melbourne hospital as individual “cheeky” girls, weeks after life-changing surgery to separate them.
The 15-month-old sisters left the Royal Children’s hospital in Melbourne in a pram with their mother, Bhumchu Zangmo, after successful surgery on 9 November.
The sisters had spent their lives joined at the torso until the operation.
https://www.theguardian.com/au...ave-hospital-surgery

Love the photo.

The family will stay in Australia until the doctors are satisfied with their progress and say they can go home to Bhutan.

Just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/channe...Ve2R4ucoMzJP53o38Yaw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiggles
The Wiggles celebrated their 25th anniversary with a performance by the new members, published as a free podcast on iTunes, in front of the Apple Store in Sydney in January 2016. In February, the original group members were to perform a charity concert for their fans over the age of 18, who were part of their first audiences, at the Dee Why RSL club in Sydney.[89][90][91]

Loved this story, but I couldn't get any of the URLs to work. They worked fine in the one you posted on the News Forum.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do have a delightful knack of reinforcing my biases. Just comparing your home life with that of your loving neighbour family confirms it all for me.

The wonder is you and your sister rose above such a destructive environment

Oh, how I hate confirming your biases! Truth be told, I think you bring your biases to my story Smile-Big   :D

quote:
My shelves were packed with books, and I had a wide range of vinyl records. My four all played musical instruments, something my grandchildren also do. One reason was I had seen that learning to play a musical instrument led to a uniting of both sides of the brain, which further aided education.

Tried to sing once in a school pageant. Absolutely cannot carry a tune. Can't yell and scream for very long either; my voice will break or shut down (as in laryngitis, always lose my voice whenever I get a sore throat or sinus drip). Seems my vocal cords are subject to swelling or something - probably from my being born a preemie. I also have the ability to hear things others cannot, yet I cannot distinguish the difference between similar notes.

quote:
One of the many promises my ex broke was our TV agreement. It was to be restricted, any programs having to have real value.

Instead, she acquired four sets, and sat down with our children to watch soap operas.

Never cared much for soaps. Was one of the worst things to endure whenever I had to stay home sick from work.

We didn't get TV until I was maybe 14-15? But it was most always tuned to sports (except for the Ed Sullivan Show) and it was mostly only dad and the boys who watched.

quote:
Despite that, when I travel in their cars the radio is tuned into classic music programs.

Dad liked classical and opera, mom liked country and western. I found classical and opera easier on my ears, but whenever I dared, I would try to listen to what was the current rage: rock n' roll!

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great to see you again, Raksha. Like so many others, I've missed you.

Great to see you too, Allan!

One of the things that makes JR's recent posts so fascinating is the way your questions and comments and personal reflections evoked her responses, making them even stronger than they might have been otherwise. Quite an amazing synergy the two of you have going there. It may have been there on Amazon too, but I can't remember noticing it before. Too busy fighting with trolls I guess.

I've missed you too.

--Linda

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18668 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, how I hate confirming your biases! Truth be told, I think you bring your biases to my story Smile-Big   :D

Interesting thought.

Seeing as how it is in prefect harmony with the topic, perhaps you might care to take it further?

My reading tells me we are genetically programmed somewhere along the Alpha bell curve. We are then born into an environment. Or, indeed, a variety of environments; cf your family and those neighbours, all living in the same town with the same access to education.

If we are lucky, that environment enables us to achieve our potential.

In the wrong environment, one of two things can happen, depending on our alpha genetic programming.

High enough on the curve, we can overcome the immediate environment, providing there is an external supporting environment which enables us to do so. That could be an encouraging mentor, access to some form of education, a library, and so on. The poorer the environment the higher we need to be on the alpha curve.

If, on the other hand, we are at the lower end of the curve, the greater the immediate and external environments must be if we are to get anywhere. Not high enough in its development potential and we are doomed to stay where we are.

This is in no way a criticism, so let's look at the environment of the First Australians.

In many ways it was excellent; in most parts of the country food, water, annual temperatures, were close to ideal. The indigenous people had it down pat.

On their walkabouts they took what they needed, then moved on, leaving more than enough plants and animals to ensure numbers were back up when they returned to each region.

They had annual events such as the Bunya pine festival, when tribes gathered together peacefully to share the feast.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/ar...ell-snacks-dinosaurs
According to Costello, there’s a significant body of lore surrounding the nuts contained in bunya pine cones. “Bunya trees fruit in the summertime, and that’s when clans from remote areas would travel to the Bunya Mountains [in southern Queensland] for ceremonies. The abundance of the seed facilitated massive gatherings, where people would talk lore, marriage and ceremony, and then travel back their country,” he says. “There’s a link between bunya seed dispersal and ceremony; they’re indicative of connectivity across landscapes and languages.”

Edenic perfection.

In some ways.

On the other hand, there were no horses, no sheep, cattle or goats and, in a very real sense, no competing tribes with distinct advantages.

In contrast, Eurasia had the lot.

That first enabled the assorted indigenous peoples there to domesticate animals.

Then, because some found and trained horses, developing first the saddle then the stirrup, they had a military advantage which others had to copy.

They also had far more in the way of earthquakes and volcanoes, weather extremes, new diseases acquired from their domesticated herds, totally different geographical environments, and so on.

All these differences forced the tribes to expand their horizons. It was either that or perish. Each new expansion, in turn, brought more expansions.

We had the horse, then the wheeled chariot, the bow and arrow, bigger and bigger warships, then gunpowder from China and on and on.

One other vital difference between Eurasia and Australia.

Until the Europeans arrived, the indigenous Australians had preserved their environment for tens of thousands of years.

Didn't take we Europeans long to put an end to that, in the same way we damaged our own home environments.

We still have not learned what those first Aussies taught every generation.