Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 50

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
My reading tells me we are genetically programmed somewhere along the Alpha bell curve. We are then born into an environment. Or, indeed, a variety of environments; cf your family and those neighbours, all living in the same town with the same access to education.

If we are lucky, that environment enables us to achieve our potential.

In the wrong environment, one of two things can happen, depending on our alpha genetic programming.

High enough on the curve, we can overcome the immediate environment, providing there is an external supporting environment which enables us to do so. That could be an encouraging mentor, access to some form of education, a library, and so on. The poorer the environment the higher we need to be on the alpha curve.

Ok, all 9 of us grew up in essentially the same environment. For the sake of argument, let's say baby sis and I had more potential than the others to begin with. But only 1 of the remaining 7 had a learning disability. Why, oh, why, did the others not strive to make more of their abilities?

They each were unhappy with their home life. They each had access to the same library, school chums, teachers, and neighborhood.

None of them ever did their required reading, book reports, homework.

Being unhappy in our home life was a big part of my incentive to do better so that my life would be different. And while I'm not saying that each of them had the same potential as baby sis and I, they had considerably more potential than they seemed to have made the effort to strive for.

I was the first to leave home. Was labeled as the 'black sheep' because I 'left the safety of family home' and went out into the world UNMARRIED! I was gone less than a year when the sister 15 months younger (the one I just bought the house with), followed me. She went to a few of her classes during her 1st quarter in college, and sat out the rest. It was "all above her head." Never attend a class beyond the second day. Never cracked a book. Never tried. Simply listened to a couple of lectures and bowed out, then hung around in the student center or cafeteria for a couple of weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seeing as how it is in prefect harmony with the topic, perhaps you might care to take it further?

I think you have your mind made up about my situation. You have me pegged as an Alpha.

I know I'm not a follower, but I'm not so sure that makes me an Alpha. Never was a joiner. Didn't care to join a sorority, clubs, or groups of any type. Never cared to be 'popular.'

Oh, that sis that hung around a couple of weeks after dropping out of classes, was waiting in plain site to be recruited into one of the sororities, as if somehow that was the important thing.

IOW, in my mind an Alpha is someone who knows who they are, knows what they are made of, and has a plan to get out front and lead.

I knew I was made of better stuff than what I was being raised up to be, but I didn't know who I was, nor how far I was going to be able to go. I just intended to push it until I got to a place where I could learn enough to break free of poverty, be comfortable in my own skin, and happy enough with my own life, that I could help others.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
They had annual events such as the Bunya pine festival, when tribes gathered together peacefully to share the feast.

Love to get my hands on a few of those Bunya pine cones!

Before I read that URL, I pictured something more like pignoli nuts. But sheesh! Those puppies are HUGE!

Wonder what they taste like...

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the other hand, there were no horses, no sheep, cattle or goats and, in a very real sense, no competing tribes with distinct advantages.

Wonder why I thought AU had always had sheep...didn't realize they had been imported.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
I think you have your mind made up about my situation. You have me pegged as an Alpha.

I have made up my mind?

I bloody well have???

Let's just accept that I am failing to communicate.

[/QUOTE]I know I'm not a follower, but I'm not so sure that makes me an Alpha. Never was a joiner. Didn't care to join a sorority, clubs, or groups of any type. Never cared to be 'popular.'
Oh, that sis that hung around a couple of weeks after dropping out of classes, was waiting in plain site to be recruited into one of the sororities, as if somehow that was the important thing.
IOW, in my mind an Alpha is someone who knows who they are, knows what they are made of, and has a plan to get out front and lead.
I knew I was made of better stuff than what I was being raised up to be, but I didn't know who I was, nor how far I was going to be able to go. I just intended to push it until I got to a place where I could learn enough to break free of poverty, be comfortable in my own skin, and happy enough with my own life, that I could help others.[/QUOTE]

We really do need to sit down face to face over a glass or three, you with your Bailey's, me with my Guinness.

You ARE an Alpha. Just where on the bell curve is another matter.

You've described your situation perfectly: I knew I was made of better stuff than what I was being raised up to be, but I didn't know who I was, nor how far I was going to be able to go. I just intended to push it until I got to a place where I could learn enough to break free of poverty, be comfortable in my own skin, and happy enough with my own life, that I could help others .

Alphas are not defined by what they join, but by what they achieve. I became a coach not because I wanted to, but because I was needed. Judging by the responses of players and parents I did achieve. Did want to join BoysTown because I wanted to achieve more now that I believed in myself. According to some teachers and students I did achieve.

Easier to live with myself now, though still feel I need to achieve more; for others, not for myself.

So, relatively high on that curve, all you needed was a mentor, someone like my soulmate, those BoysTown leaders and counsellors, to create the road which will take you where you need to go.

Must have happened at some stage. Who was it showed utter faith in you and and gave you your compass and map?

Would I be right in thinking that, while you were working, you were a recognised go-to person? Problem arises, no one is sure how to solve it. Best tactic?

Go get JR. she'll know.

How often did that happen? Was it just a matter of course for your colleagues?

Raksha has revived the Biblical Scholar: Dont take Bible literally thread.

Could be fun Cool   :cool:

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3544 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Would you believe I haven't the foggiest idea.

http://tasteaustralia.biz/bush...ve-fruit/bunya-nuts/
The Bunya Nut (Araucaria bidwillii) is native to south-eastern Queensland especially the Bunya Mountains National Park. The bunya nut tree is a huge tree which bears a crop only after the tree itself is around 100 years old, and then it crops once every 2 or 3 years only. The crop itself consists of large cones up to the size of a very heavy soccer ball – 300 mm in length and 10 kg in weight. The cones contain the edible nuts (seeds) which are encased in a shell. The nut resembles a chestnut and is equally tasty, maturing in summer.
... Nutritionally they are similar to chestnuts, being starchy, not oily. When boiled in their shell for 20-30 minutes the texture becomes waxy and can be easily sliced or pureed.
The nuts (seeds) can be eaten raw when fresh, but it is a lot easier to boil the seed pods to extract the nut. The nuts can then be roasted, sliced or pureed and used in desserts and savory dishes and spreads. The nuts can also be milled to a flour and then used in various doughs.
...Bunya Nut Pesto
100g Bunya Nuts, de-shelled
1 bunch Basil
50g Parmesan Cheese
1 clove garlic – finely chopped
250ml Macadamia Nut Oil
2 tspns ground Pepperberry
Gently heat the Pepperberry in 100ml of the Macadamia Oil. Finely chop Bunya Nuts and mix nuts with the garlic and 100ml of the Macadamia Nut Oil. Roughly chop Basil in a food processor or blender with the 50 ml of the Macadamia Nut Oil. Process for one minute, and then add the Bunya Nut mix and the Pepperberry mix. This works best if the oils are poured in a steady stream. Do not over-process. This should keep in the refrigerator for a week – if it lasts that long!

Steamed Bunya Nut Pudding
Mix 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of cooked minced Bunya Nuts, 4 Tablespoons Muntries, 4 Tablespoons sultanas and 4 tablespoons sugar in a bowl. Dissolve 1 teaspoon bicarb soda in a small cup of milk. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Then alternate adding butter and milk to dry ingredients (use extra milk if too dry). Tie mixture in a floured cloth and steam for 3 hours. Serve with brandy custard and easy wattleseed icecream.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder why I thought AU had always had sheep...didn't realize they had been imported.

We imported lots of things; fire ants, wasps, fruit flies and aphids, lots of snails, feral cats, the black rat (Rattus rattus), sparrows, pigeons, the destructive Indian mynah.

And, of course, that bloody cane toad.

The list goes on and on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...species_in_Australia

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Must have happened at some stage. Who was it showed utter faith in you and and gave you your compass and map?

It wasn't until I went to work in Ops that people seemed to think I was worth investing their faith in me. I mean, there were several times when a boss or supervisor asked me essentially, "What are you wasting yourself here for?" But no one actually attempted to steer me into something in particular or took me under their wing.

Bottom line: I needed to build up a bit of confidence in myself. I felt like I still had so much more to learn...whereas they evidently had already started seeing the potential. Understand, I was emotionally and socially immature. Not knowing things made me feel inferior. Good thing was that I was a quick-study, always had my eyes and ears open, and had a good sense of perception.

And now that I'm thinking about it, I was probably an enigma to most people. I looked like a sexpot, was a bit shy, and was able to work independently (mostly because I had good research skills and was now free to ask questions Wink   ;) ).

quote:
Would I be right in thinking that, while you were working, you were a recognised go-to person? Problem arises, no one is sure how to solve it. Best tactic?

Go get JR. she'll know.

Well yeah, but I kinda thought I should be able to fulfill that role since it was my job!

But now that you mention it...The woman who was in my position before me had been there in the same position for 5-6 years and had transferred to the same position in the Personnel department (less work and slower pace). Hmmm, and I had been there slightly over a year when the boss put me in for a promotion... In 4 years I progressed from a GS-5 Staff Assistant to a GS-9 Military Support to Civil Authorities Officer. About 4-5 years after than I became a GS-12 MSCA Expert. Turned down a GS-13 promotion because I didn't want a supervisory position wherein all I would have to do is point and grunt Smile-Big   :D. I actually enjoyed the WORK. And I was already at US Forces Command HQ, which meant I had some measure of authority over all our subordinate commands' MSCA Officers. And I certainly didn't want to be promoted to the Pentagon; far too removed from the real work for my blood.

But Allan, that is what I expected of everyone! And most of the time they delivered. If they didn't I managed to get rid of them.

quote:
Raksha has revived the Biblical Scholar: Dont take Bible literally thread.

Could be fun Cool Cool   :cool:

Y'all enjoy yourselves. I'm gonna steer clear of religious stuff for a while longer. My head just isn't in it right now.

Oh, and just for a peek into what things were like in Ops... When the Colonel of our section decided to promote me from GS-7 to GS-9, he gave me the MSCA Regulation and told me to update it to current standards (understand, I'm not an expert yet). He also gave me a Lieutenant Colonel to monitor and check my work, and what he thought was an unreasonable deadline (I think it was about 2 weeks).

The LTC immediately submitted his leave form and went on leave for 2 weeks. Good thing for me since I later found out that he was so incompetent that I wouldn't have him as a Captain, never mind a LTC. Of course, the Colonel must have known this. Every other day or so the Colonel would stop by my desk and say something to the effect, "Don't you want some help?" or "Has anyone offered to help you?"...

Two days before the deadline, I went to my boss (a GS-13 civilian) and told him I was ready to present my updated regulation to the Colonel. He suggested I do a 5-slide briefing presentation, so I banged out the briefing slides. We got on his calendar the day before the deadline.

When the boss and I walked in, the Colonel took the slides, and then he reached for the MSCA Regulation which was about 1 1/2 inches thick. He asked me, "How much confidence do you have in this regulation now?" I said, "Much more than I had in it before it was updated." So my boss and I presented the briefing.

The Colonel looks at my boss and says, "What do you think?" Paul says, "It looks good to me." The Colonel looks at me and said, "I want you to move over to the Ops Circle with the Ops Officers. You are part of MY team now." I cocked my head in question. To which he responded, "You don't bite the heads off of your team members, YOU TRAIN THEM!" To which he added, "You are just like my wife. Never wants help because she doesn't want to ask for it."

"No sir, it was the best training experience for me considering my promotion. I had no authority to update the regulation prior to you asking me to do so. And with your permission, it will be updated every year from now on rather than becoming such an antiquated hunk of junk. I want it in my job description so I don't have to ask." He looks at Paul and tells him to put it in the job description and then says, "When will the promotion be effective?" Paul told him that as soon as he could gather the Ops folks downstairs it would be officially presented. "Let's go!"

He never sent another of his Ops Majors to the official Military Messaging class. He had me train them personally. After a while, I started having the Majors train the new officers. Then they gave me 2 officers as assistants and I never had to work 18 hour days again! I always took 1 of the officers with me when we went to MSCA conferences so that they had exposure to the people we coordinated with during operations. That way I was able to have someone trained enough that I could take some leave every now and then!

You know, I don't think about this stuff much anymore. Guess it's a good thing that I don't, because whenever I do, I miss the comradery , the people, and the work...

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Now I'm going to be looking high and low for them!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We imported lots of things; fire ants, wasps, fruit flies and aphids, lots of snails, feral cats, the black rat (Rattus rattus), sparrows, pigeons, the destructive Indian mynah.

And, of course, that bloody cane toad.

The list goes on and on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...species_in_Australia

Wow, I think I would have left some of those critters where they were Wink   ;)

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lookie here:

Raw the texture is crispy-ish with a soft crunch. Cooked the texture is like a cooked chestnut as is the flavor. Uncooked they taste more like raw peanuts to me. The left-over shell (and wood) is used to grill fish and meat. Indeed, when you roast the nuts in the shell they smell delicious with hints of cinnamon and spice. The germinated seed also produces an underground “earth nut” which has a crisp coconut like flavor.
http://www.eattheweeds.com/bunya-pine/

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
With summer days away, I suppose I should go looking for the real thing. It's only a 300-mile round trip, so it will get me out of the house Smile   :)

I've responded in typical fashion to your Alpha post on the private site.

Here, please let me just say I really benefited from our discussion, thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. My heartfelt thanks.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
With summer days away, I suppose I should go looking for the real thing. It's only a 300-mile round trip, so it will get me out of the house Smile   :)

I've responded in typical fashion to your Alpha post on the private site.

Here, please let me just say I really benefited from our discussion, thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. My heartfelt thanks.

If you manage to taste some bunya nuts, please do let me know.

Dahlin', trust me, I benefited greatly from our discussion. It's difficult for me to see myself as an Alpha, but maybe I'm beginning to just a little bit.

Thank you!

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Alphas are Greek to me! Smile-Big   :D

Posts: 9778 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Alphas are Greek to me! Smile-Big   :D

JR reckons I am infinitely older than Methuselah, so it's easy peasy for me.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Could I have missed out?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/20...-bush-tucker/9751602

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Could I have missed out?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/20...-bush-tucker/9751602

Oops!

Bummer.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
My sis gave me a half gallon of pumpkin pie ice cream. Sheesh, I never buy ice cream by the half gallon, only pints! But let me tell ya, the stuff is good!!!

For some reason, I didn't expect that it would be...

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sis gave me a half gallon of pumpkin pie ice cream. Sheesh, I never buy ice cream by the half gallon, only pints! But let me tell ya, the stuff is good!!!
For some reason, I didn't expect that it would be...

Yeah, go on.

Spoil yourself.

Keep us posted, too, on when you can see a light in the tunnel and know for sure it is not the headlight of an express train heading right atcha.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep us posted, too, on when you can see a light in the tunnel and know for sure it is not the headlight of an express train heading right atcha.

Eh? Tunnel? What tunnel?