Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 50

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
I'm already in 2019, so may I wish you all a braw Hogmanay, and may 2019 bring you all that you deserve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3499 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Maybe when the temp goes from mid teens to thirty something...

Posts: 9767 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Maybe when the temp goes from mid teens to thirty something...

We could use a bit of that to kill off the mosquitoes and fleas accumulated over several wet and mild winters...

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Images Braw Hogmanay

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
May all of our New year be less drought with fear and politics in general.

Posts: 11598 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Images Braw Hogmanay

Jings, JR, two there brought me back to my childhood: Oor Wullie, and The Broons.

Them were the days. Beginning to think I look like Granpaw Broon.

https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=R3p689vlRJyj8M:

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3499 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Images Braw Hogmanay

Jings, JR, two there brought me back to my childhood: Oor Wullie, and The Broons.

Them were the days. Beginning to think I look like Granpaw Broon.

https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=R3p689vlRJyj8M:

He'll do.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Update on Mary Jean...

She will be staying at the nursing home, at least for the time being, since her daughter's doctors have determined that she is not in good enough health to be Mary Jean's caregiver.

She does not want to stay with her other daughter, not to mention that her other daughter isn't set up (no room) for her. And she seems a little down to me, although she says she is happy where she is currently staying. Trouble is the only other patient is a dementia patient so she has no one to carry on conversations with. Maybe if another patient comes along it will be better for her.

Meanwhile, she has her computer and us...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update on Mary Jean...

She will be staying at the nursing home, at least for the time being, since her daughter's doctors have determined that she is not in good enough health to be Mary Jean's caregiver.

She does not want to stay with her other daughter, not to mention that her other daughter isn't set up (no room) for her. And she seems a little down to me, although she says she is happy where she is currently staying. Trouble is the only other patient is a dementia patient so she has no one to carry on conversations with. Maybe if another patient comes along it will be better for her.

Meanwhile, she has her computer and us...

Hadn't heard from her recently, but yes we're here! As for a new patient, Steve?

Sorry to hear her daughter isn't able to be a caretaker, it is a strain though on any caretaker. I'm surprised she can't do visiting nurses or something like that. Now I need to tell her about the Medicaid help that can be available, I guess. There is a plan where you still pay a certain amount until you fit their low-income amount and then they pay the rest. It's a paperwork PIA though!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
As for a new patient, Steve?

I don't know that he would qualify for a nursing home just yet, but maybe soon. We'll see. Would be nice for her to have someone she knows and gets along with. Makes life much more pleasant!

Do plan to keep in touch with her via email since she has deemed it too difficult to maneuver in this forum.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't know that he would qualify for a nursing home just yet, but maybe soon. We'll see. Would be nice for her to have someone she knows and gets along with. Makes life much more pleasant!

Do plan to keep in touch with her via email since she has deemed it too difficult to maneuver in this forum.

I’ve sent her a link from time to time. She seemed to enjoy Vicki’s answers to Allan.

And yes I intend to send an email from time to time.

I keep thinking she’s in assisted living, otherwise she wouldn’t have considered staying with her daughter.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’ve sent her a link from time to time. She seemed to enjoy Vicki’s answers to Allan.

I keep thinking she’s in assisted living, otherwise she wouldn’t have considered staying with her daughter.

When Mary Jean was sent to the hospital from the assisted living facility, her intention was to move directly in with her daughter from the hospital. However, it was taking longer than anticipated to get her room ready at her daughter's, so she went to a hotel for a few days, and then the nursing home, as stop-gap measures once she was released from the hospital. Her original intention was to stay only about 2 weeks. Yet after 3 weeks, it still isn't ready.

I've peeked at the Vicki/Allan discussion a couple of times, and while I'm not tempted to join in, I can see why Mary Jean would find it interesting. Got a feeling that once I move in to the house with my sister, I'll be having more than my fair share of those discussions with her. She's all caught up in Churchianity too...and has no clue how to actually study and wants me to teach her how I come to my conclusions. She is no quick-study, so I expect it will long and arduous.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

When Mary Jean was sent to the hospital from the assisted living facility, her intention was to move directly in with her daughter from the hospital. However, it was taking longer than anticipated to get her room ready at her daughter's, so she went to a hotel for a few days, and then the nursing home, as stop-gap measures once she was released from the hospital. Her original intention was to stay only about 2 weeks. Yet after 3 weeks, it still isn't ready.

I've peeked at the Vicki/Allan discussion a couple of times, and while I'm not tempted to join in, I can see why Mary Jean would find it interesting. Got a feeling that once I move in to the house with my sister, I'll be having more than my fair share of those discussions with her. She's all caught up in Churchianity too...and has no clue how to actually study and wants me to teach her how I come to my conclusions. She is no quick-study, so I expect it will long and arduous.

I had told her that Allan was picking on Vicki!

I like your conclusions about the discussion. I can’t stay focused as jumping around in the text of the Bible is just as confusing as going from philosopher to theologian and back. Broad brush assumptions that then use verses from various books seem to be similar to cherry picking other experts. But then it’s easier with theologians as unlike some of the scriptures they seem to stay focused on the same issue throughout their books or papers. A quote from the Bible makes me wonder whether it is out of context, but then reading a whole chapter of the Bible can still seem out of context.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like your conclusions about the discussion. I can’t stay focused as jumping around in the text of the Bible is just as confusing as going from philosopher to theologian and back. Broad brush assumptions that then use verses from various books seem to be similar to cherry picking other experts. But then it’s easier with theologians as unlike some of the scriptures they seem to stay focused on the same issue throughout their books or papers. A quote from the Bible makes me wonder whether it is out of context, but then reading a whole chapter of the Bible can still seem out of context.

Allan's questions can be quite thought provoking if one is disposed to thinking, but he needs to be a bit more careful with those scatter-shots. They really aren't very helpful if discussion is your aim (hint hint, Allan) Smile   :).

When I met him on the Amazon forum, it appeared to me that Allan's intention was to create doubt in one's faith. But I'm a different creature than those blind followers I guess because I was challenged by the questions (especially if they were ones I'd found myself asking), but put off by the insinuation that my faith was somehow inconsequential to the discussion (I was fairly new to the faith at that point).

In hindsight, what it eventually accomplished in me, was that I had to determine exactly where I had placed my faith: in God, or in my beliefs and understanding. Once I realized that my faith was in God, it became considerably less threatening and more productive. Even so, I had to pick and choose between what I would respond to out of those scatter shots, instead of trying to follow the thinking of what appeared to be that of an ADHD sufferer!

The other conclusion that I finally came to was that God is much more than anyone, even those who've contributed to the writing of the Bible, can possibly constrict to mere human language and writing. That alone frees one to have just about any kind of discussion, regarding both the
Bible and God, without weakening one's faith. But then, my experience is that my thinking goes much deeper than most "pew-warmers" in that regard.

Ultimately, when one's faith is actually placed in God, they don't feel unfaithful when understanding that the Bible is NOT the "Word of God" nor "infallible", claims not found in the Bible itself. That kind of freedom allows for considerable spiritual growth rather than consistently trying to defend a God who, according to the Bible, says from one side of the mouth in Malachi 3:6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed", yet in Deuteronomy 20:16-18 declares, "In the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them — the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites — as the LORD your God has commanded you. Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the LORD your God", while also saying in Matthew 7:12, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

IOW, you no longer have to cut bait with your reasoning abilities and can actually "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool" in Isaiah 1:18.

But I've rambled on enough...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Allan's questions can be quite thought provoking if one is disposed to thinking, but he needs to be a bit more careful with those scatter-shots. They really aren't very helpful if discussion is your aim (hint hint, Allan) Smile   :).

When I met him on the Amazon forum, it appeared to me that Allan's intention was to create doubt in one's faith. But I'm a different creature than those blind followers I guess because I was challenged by the questions (especially if they were ones I'd found myself asking), but put off by the insinuation that my faith was somehow inconsequential to the discussion (I was fairly new to the faith at that point).

In hindsight, what it eventually accomplished in me, was that I had to determine exactly where I had placed my faith: in God, or in my beliefs and understanding. Once I realized that my faith was in God, it became considerably less threatening and more productive. Even so, I had to pick and choose between what I would respond to out of those scatter shots, instead of trying to follow the thinking of what appeared to be that of an ADHD sufferer!

The other conclusion that I finally came to was that God is much more than anyone, even those who've contributed to the writing of the Bible, can possibly constrict to mere human language and writing. That alone frees one to have just about any kind of discussion, regarding both the
Bible and God, without weakening one's faith. But then, my experience is that my thinking goes much deeper than most "pew-warmers" in that regard.

Ultimately, when one's faith is actually placed in God, they don't feel unfaithful when understanding that the Bible is NOT the "Word of God" nor "infallible", claims not found in the Bible itself. That kind of freedom allows for considerable spiritual growth rather than consistently trying to defend a God who, according to the Bible, says from one side of the mouth in Malachi 3:6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed", yet in Deuteronomy 20:16-18 declares, "In the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them — the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites — as the LORD your God has commanded you. Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the LORD your God", while also saying in Matthew 7:12, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

IOW, you no longer have to cut bait with your reasoning abilities and can actually "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool" in Isaiah 1:18.

But I've rambled on enough...

I guess I’m past the faith to doubt being threatening. I still find those trying to get me to define something’s within their framework as much scatter shots as my own questioning about what I believe. I see the Bible as a record of the experiences of others with as many questions about how they got to their conclusions as any orher, perhaps. To define a God as only what is in the Bible, or what one has experience themselves. But then we also need some checks on our own understandings so as not to become a cult, so to speak.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I’m past the faith to doubt being threatening. I still find those trying to get me to define something’s within their framework as much scatter shots as my own questioning about what I believe. I see the Bible as a record of the experiences of others with as many questions about how they got to their conclusions as any orher, perhaps. To define a God as only what is in the Bible, or what one has experience themselves. But then we also need some checks on our own understandings so as not to become a cult, so to speak.

Well, I certainly don't view the Bible as "written by the very finger of God" any more than I view it as "The Word of God"...or as the Southern preachers say "WORD of GAWD!"

I mean, the only ones the Bible states were written by God are the same ones on the tablets Moses carries down the from the mountain, then promptly smashes them according to Exodus 32:19, supposedly for worshipping a GOLDEN CALF. But then, the laver is fashioned on the backs of 12 BULLS as per 1 Kings 7:23-26 and 2 Chronicles 4:2-5...and one of the banners (for of Ephraim) was the figure of an OX. Upon the breakup of the tribes of Israel, the northern kingdom of Israel made the BULL the emblem of their deity. And then there is Revelation 4:7 "The first living creature was like a lion, the second like a CALF, the third had a face like a man, and the fourth was like an eagle in flight."

The only 'Word of God' I'm aware of is the one Philo of Alexandria describes as the "Logos of God" when speaking of the HIGH PRIEST. Philo describes the Logos as God's son, a perfect being procuring forgiveness of sins and blessings: "For it was indispensable that the MAN [the TEMPLE HIGH PRIEST] who was consecrated to the Father of the world should have as a paraclete, his son, the being most perfect in all virtue, to procure forgiveness of sins, and a supply of unlimited blessings."

And yes, the Bible is a mish of the Hebrew's dealings with God, mashed with political pointers for the common masses, as well as diatribes against the opposition party - most of which occurred after Hezekiah and Josiah revamped the religion.

But pew warmers really don't want to know about that stuff.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
HaShem Ish Milchama

Well, you know I had to look it up Smile-Big   :D

HaShem Ish Milchama...
G-d is Master of war, HaShem is His name (Sh'mot 15:3). With these words (and others), the people of Israel described G-d in their (our) Song of the Sea, in acknowledging Him for what He did for the people - Splitting the Sea, providing for us, drowning the Egyptians, saving Bnei Yisrael. Earlier (14:13-14), Moshe said to the people: Do not fear! Stand fast and see the salvation of G-d that He will perform for you today... G-d shall make war for you, and you shall remain silent. On the occasion of the first battle that the not-yet nation of Israel was about to face, G-d assured them that He would fight for them and they needed only to stand back and watch. Ibn Ezra explains that having been so recently slaves in Egypt for many generations, the people would not have been able to fight at all. Not against their former masters. G-d did our fighting for us - that first time.

http://www.ttidbits.com/843/843pdf.pdf

And here is an interesting one...:

But Abravanel had a beautiful idea that completely changed the meaning of this verse. He reads the verse as follows, “Is Hashem a man of war? No, Hashem is His name.” A question and an answer. God cannot be the lord of war because His essence is love and mercy. Maybe the essence of God is better understood in another verse that we sing every Shabbat, “Who gives bread (Lechem) to all flesh” (Ps. 136:25). Maybe it was not Hashem Ish Milchama but rather Hashem Ish Mi Lechem, not the man of war but the man who gives bread and sustains the whole world. In the root of the word Milchama (war) is the word Lechem (bread), we go to war when we don’t have enough, when we are physically, economically, or ideologically starving. Instead of singing praises to the man of war, we can pray every morning, this upcoming Shabbat, and on the seventh day of Passover that everybody should have bread in their bellies, hearts and minds so we don’t have to see any more wars in the world.

https://smstorah.wordpress.com...ashem-a-lord-of-war/

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, I certainly don't view the Bible as "written by the very finger of God" any more than I view it as "The Word of God"...or as the Southern preachers say "WORD of GAWD!"

I mean, the only ones the Bible states were written by God are the same ones on the tablets Moses carries down the from the mountain, then promptly smashes them according to Exodus 32:19, supposedly for worshipping a GOLDEN CALF. But then, the laver is fashioned on the backs of 12 BULLS as per 1 Kings 7:23-26 and 2 Chronicles 4:2-5...and one of the banners (for of Ephraim) was the figure of an OX. Upon the breakup of the tribes of Israel, the northern kingdom of Israel made the BULL the emblem of their deity. And then there is Revelation 4:7 "The first living creature was like a lion, the second like a CALF, the third had a face like a man, and the fourth was like an eagle in flight."

The only 'Word of God' I'm aware of is the one Philo of Alexandria describes as the "Logos of God" when speaking of the HIGH PRIEST. Philo describes the Logos as God's son, a perfect being procuring forgiveness of sins and blessings: "For it was indispensable that the MAN [the TEMPLE HIGH PRIEST] who was consecrated to the Father of the world should have as a paraclete, his son, the being most perfect in all virtue, to procure forgiveness of sins, and a supply of unlimited blessings."

And yes, the Bible is a mish of the Hebrew's dealings with God, mashed with political pointers for the common masses, as well as diatribes against the opposition party - most of which occurred after Hezekiah and Josiah revamped the religion.

But pew warmers really don't want to know about that stuff.

I see logos of zgod as Wisdom of God!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
HaShem Ish Milchama

Well, you know I had to look it up Smile-Big   :D

HaShem Ish Milchama...
G-d is Master of war, HaShem is His name (Sh'mot 15:3). With these words (and others), the people of Israel described G-d in their (our) Song of the Sea, in acknowledging Him for what He did for the people - Splitting the Sea, providing for us, drowning the Egyptians, saving Bnei Yisrael. Earlier (14:13-14), Moshe said to the people: Do not fear! Stand fast and see the salvation of G-d that He will perform for you today... G-d shall make war for you, and you shall remain silent. On the occasion of the first battle that the not-yet nation of Israel was about to face, G-d assured them that He would fight for them and they needed only to stand back and watch. Ibn Ezra explains that having been so recently slaves in Egypt for many generations, the people would not have been able to fight at all. Not against their former masters. G-d did our fighting for us - that first time.

http://www.ttidbits.com/843/843pdf.pdf

And here is an interesting one...:

But Abravanel had a beautiful idea that completely changed the meaning of this verse. He reads the verse as follows, “Is Hashem a man of war? No, Hashem is His name.” A question and an answer. God cannot be the lord of war because His essence is love and mercy. Maybe the essence of God is better understood in another verse that we sing every Shabbat, “Who gives bread (Lechem) to all flesh” (Ps. 136:25). Maybe it was not Hashem Ish Milchama but rather Hashem Ish Mi Lechem, not the man of war but the man who gives bread and sustains the whole world. In the root of the word Milchama (war) is the word Lechem (bread), we go to war when we don’t have enough, when we are physically, economically, or ideologically starving. Instead of singing praises to the man of war, we can pray every morning, this upcoming Shabbat, and on the seventh day of Passover that everybody should have bread in their bellies, hearts and minds so we don’t have to see any more wars in the world.

https://smstorah.wordpress.com...ashem-a-lord-of-war/

Thanks for looking that up now I need to be able to read it without losing track.