Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
      Page: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part II
 Login/Register 
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Allan, to the best of my recollection the 2001 film brought me to a feeling that was both too simple and too different from what I wanted to accept. I often wonder myself what exactly it was about and doubt that although I’d like to see the film again I will be able to isolate that original feeling which actually occurred during a discussion after the film!

Be a pity to lose that concept.

The way I see it, neither Clarke nor Asimov really answers the question. They take us back to a beginning, but not back to the beginning.

Reminds me of another hypothesis I saw; an alien life form seeded the galaxy with capsules containing the basis for life. When those capsules arrive on a suitable planet, life begins.

But that still fails to address the real issue; how, when, where, and why did life begin in the first place?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1657 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Allan, to the best of my recollection the 2001 film brought me to a feeling that was both too simple and too different from what I wanted to accept. I often wonder myself what exactly it was about and doubt that although I’d like to see the film again I will be able to isolate that original feeling which actually occurred during a discussion after the film!

Be a pity to lose that concept.

The way I see it, neither Clarke nor Asimov really answers the question. They take us back to a beginning, but not back to the beginning.

Reminds me of another hypothesis I saw; an alien life form seeded the galaxy with capsules containing the basis for life. When those capsules arrive on a suitable planet, life begins.

But that still fails to address the real issue; how, when, where, and why did life begin in the first place?

That last question, of course is what brings into being intelligent design. However those are such loaded words here in the USA as to be fairly useless! Nevertheless, a well functioning for a balanced eco system seems to be what the C H O N require for life, as we know it to exist. As to why, after a new Star begins all the atoms get to building stuff and how that eventually gets to higher life forms, I doubt we’ll never truly know that answer. I’m okay with that being a mystery rather than God ordained!

Posts: 5871 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:

We can start with the letter-grouping God always was, God always is, God always will be.

Or we can start with the letter-grouping Matter/Energy always was, Matter/Energy always is, Matter/Energy always will be.

Or we can explore both options.

Regardless, since we can describe X only with the letter-groupings our individual brain has selected, the issue remains the same.

What is it we are actually talking about?

The problem is compounded by another simple fact.

Whether we go for X is God or X Matter/Energy, those letter-groupings take on a life of their own, most of us deifying the letter-groupings which best fits our environmental heritage.

Or maybe God really is Matter/Energy, Matter/Energy is God?

I think of the math for matter/energy as being a symmetry broken version of the math for information so I think most fundamentally in terms of conservation of information rather than conservation of energy. At the Planck scale/big bang level, Paola Zizzi (whom I mentioned in my previous post) describes it this way in her gr-qc/0110122 paper, in which she said:

quote:
... the semiclassical arguments of black holes evaporation might fail at the Planck scale. When the black hole reaches the Planck mass [about 10^19 proton masses], strong quantum gravity effects might stop the evaporation process ...[and]... there would be a remnant, which should store all the information collapsed in the original black hole. ... the remnant Planckian black hole gives rise to a QGN ... This idea is similar to the original one of Dyson [... Institute of Advanced Study preprint, 1976, unpublished...], that the black hole disappears completely, but one or more new universes branch off and carry away the information. ... the "unphysical time" t_(-1) = 0 (corresponding to a singularity in the classical theory) is unphysical for the new born universe, but not for the mother universe. ... in the mother universe, t_(-1) is the latest instant of evaporation of the black hole which will originate the child universe. The fact that there is this "leap" from physical time to unphysical time, in the passage from one universe to another, means that the two universes are not causally related. ...

Basically there are eternal universe information states and every Planck time instant we just move to another pre-existing state. The existence of God just depends on whether Planck scale information states are conscious or not and with Zizzi using Penrose's consciousness model, you do end up with consciousness at the Planck scale.

Posts: 910 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Glad Mary Jean is no longer living in Redding...the fires are horrible.

But her daughter who still lives there had to evacuate.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4834 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:

Yep, I saw that. Sure wish these weather records would stop!

Posts: 5871 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Anyone seen Bryan lately?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Got word that Mary Jean's daughter's house burned, but everyone is safe.

Posts: 4834 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not a peep lately...

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So sorry to hear that her house burned. Here’s hoping that her insurance actually covers this rather than calling it an act of God.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So sorry to hear that her house burned. Here’s hoping that her insurance actually covers this rather than calling it an act of God.

Yeah, and most of Mary Jean's belonging were at her daughter's house as well...

This is the same daughter in Redding, CA who was hospitalized right after Mary Jean moved into the assisted living home in Everett. They were still trying to get some of Mary Jean's furnishings to her (that were stored at her daughter's home), but the daughter seemed to still be too ill to follow through.

Her daughter was trying to sell her home prior to a move to Everett, WA where Mary Jean and her other daughter now live. Mary Jean is just happy that her daughter is safe, as you might expect!

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not a peep lately...

He posted something about Trump on Facebook 4 minutes ago.

Posts: 910 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, and most of Mary Jean's belonging were at her daughter's house as well...

This is the same daughter in Redding, CA who was hospitalized right after Mary Jean moved into the assisted living home in Everett. They were still trying to get some of Mary Jean's furnishings to her (that were stored at her daughter's home), but the daughter seemed to still be too ill to follow through.

Her daughter was trying to sell her home prior to a move to Everett, WA where Mary Jean and her other daughter now live. Mary Jean is just happy that her daughter is safe, as you might expect!

That sounds like her, for sure. I missed that it was that daughter that was sick, and that some of Mart Jeans possessions were in the house. But, I’m with her about lives are the most important.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:
quote:

Not a peep lately...

Good to hear thanks. His apartment gets quite warm and with the weather in California I was concerned.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:
quote:

Not a peep lately...

Thanks. Good to know he is OK.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:That sounds like her, for sure. I missed that it was that daughter that was sick, and that some of Mart Jeans possessions were in the house. But, I’m with her about lives are the most important.

Yep.

Pinged Steve/yba yesterday but have heard nothing back so far.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:That sounds like her, for sure. I missed that it was that daughter that was sick, and that some of Mart Jeans possessions were in the house. But, I’m with her about lives are the most important.

Yep.

In the heat he may be moving a bit slower, or actually in the process of a move!

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Allan,
I see AU has dispatched some of your finest firefighters to help out in our CA fires. The Carr fire is near where Mary Jean used to live in Redding, CA - and where one of her daughters still lived - until the fire burned her home.
Carr Fire in Redding CA

US Military is also sending hundreds of active duty troupes to help with the fires. Of course, the Reserves have already been on the scene for a while.
Army Sending Soldiers to Help With Firefighting

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep.

In the heat he may be moving a bit slower, or actually in the process of a move!

Well, he cannot drive, so I would think he'd be staying indoors and out of the heat... So either his computer is messed up again or something else has gone wrong.

I think he would have told me if his daughters had found a place for him to move to in WA.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
All,
Finally heard from Steve today! Says he's been having a few health problems, which he did not elaborate on, but that he is staying tuned to the news regarding the fires in Redding.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
All,
Finally heard from Steve today! Says he's been having a few health problems, which he did not elaborate on, but that he is staying tuned to the news regarding the fires in Redding.

Thanks.