Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 50

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Finally heard from Miz Mary Jean again. She didn't mention having a cold, but did seem in good spirits.

Says the afghan is coming in handy since they keep it a bit chilly in the house for her.

Steve is doing OK, but is still battling the pollen.

Guess Bryan is next on my list...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Finally heard from Miz Mary Jean again. She didn't mention having a cold, but did seem in good spirits.

Says the afghan is coming in handy since they keep it a bit chilly in the house for her.

Steve is doing OK, but is still battling the pollen.

Guess Bryan is next on my list...

Didn’t we hear from Bryan briefly when we all bombarded him?

Posts: 11144 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:

Well yeah, but I wanna know if they have decided whether he's a candidate for a pacemaker.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well yeah, but I wanna know if they have decided whether he's a candidate for a pacemaker.

Ah, yes! Dad got one a couple of years ago for Afib. Hope Bryan is a candidate, for sure. I think his CPAP may need cranking up too!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, yes! Dad got one a couple of years ago for Afib. Hope Bryan is a candidate, for sure. I think his CPAP may need cranking up too!

Still not a peep out of Bryan.

Made it to my dental appointment today. They adjusted the dentures so that they are at least a little more comfortable, but with the gums still being tender, chewing is going to have to be a rather delicate task for the foreseeable future.

Since crabcakes are the toughest thing I've been able to chew thus far, on the way home from the dentist I picked up a tiramisu and a stack of Maryland style crabcakes.

For Allan:
Maryland Crabcakes
Make yourself some. It'll be your new favorite!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I ate jello with Scarlet Fever! But that was really a sore throat problem. With my extraction I liked ice cream and drinks through a straw that were cold cold cold! I can imagine not having at least one side to chew on!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ate jello with Scarlet Fever! But that was really a sore throat problem. With my extraction I liked ice cream and drinks through a straw that were cold cold cold! I can imagine not having at least one side to chew on!

I like my sweets, but after a bit I just cannot handle it anymore! I gotta have some REAL food, ya know!

Had some Anisette Sponge Cookies dunked in tea or coffee and some chocolate pudding, but jello seems a bit too summery for me in this weather.

It's been rather cool for most of the almost 3 weeks since they pulled my uppers, so soup was rather satisfying - and I do like soup. And egg salad sandwiches or scrambled egg sandwiches. Now, crab cakes.

Craving a SALAD!!! And would love a Reuben sandwich, but that is beyond my abilities at this point. Still can't chew toast...or meat...or sauerkraut.

Oh, and they warn you NOT to drink anything through a straw after a tooth extraction. It's known to lead to dry socket...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I like my sweets, but after a bit I just cannot handle it anymore! I gotta have some REAL food, ya know!

Had some Anisette Sponge Cookies dunked in tea or coffee and some chocolate pudding, but jello seems a bit too summery for me in this weather.

It's been rather cool for most of the almost 3 weeks since they pulled my uppers, so soup was rather satisfying - and I do like soup. And egg salad sandwiches or scrambled egg sandwiches. Now, crab cakes.

Craving a SALAD!!! And would love a Reuben sandwich, but that is beyond my abilities at this point. Still can't chew toast...or meat...or sauerkraut.

Oh, and they warn you NOT to drink anything through a straw after a tooth extraction. It's known to lead to dry socket...

I wondered about the straw. But it was a way to keep cold away too. At three weeks I think things were not as inflamed but then I wasn’t trying to wear dentures!

My jello was in the winter, but it was about all I could eat besides bananas! I wonder if mom put vitamins in it.

My MIL who couldn’t swallow well got where she could eat toast but in very small piece.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wondered about the straw. But it was a way to keep cold away too. At three weeks I think things were not as inflamed but then I wasn’t trying to wear dentures!

My jello was in the winter, but it was about all I could eat besides bananas! I wonder if mom put vitamins in it.

My MIL who couldn’t swallow well got where she could eat toast but in very small piece.

I recall when I had Scarlet Fever that I wasn't hungry at all. Just dry as a desert! Wanted iced water or iced tea. Think mom managed to get a bit of grits and scrambled eggs and oatmeal into me, but little else.

Oh, and I still cannot bite off pieces of sandwich. I have to pull bits of it off and pop them into my mouth! Not ready for prime time public eating just yet...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I recall when I had Scarlet Fever that I wasn't hungry at all. Just dry as a desert! Wanted iced water or iced tea. Think mom managed to get a bit of grits and scrambled eggs and oatmeal into me, but little else.

Oh, and I still cannot bite off pieces of sandwich. I have to pull bits of it off and pop them into my mouth! Not ready for prime time public eating just yet...

Agreed she actually wasn’t biting toast and she had her teeth!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm off to bed. Missed my nap today and it's telling on me.

Good night and God bless.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, I'm off to bed. Missed my nap today and it's telling on me.

Good night and God bless.

Me too, nite

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Pollen count at 4666 ppm today in Atlanta!

UGH!!!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pollen count at 4666 ppm today in Atlanta!

UGH!!!

Yuck is right!

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and all those sex crazed plants can make windshields hard to see through, too.

Posts: 9702 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
For Allan:
Maryland Crabcakes

Looks terrific.

Is your blue swimmer the same as ours? It has long been a favourite of mine, ahead of the more popular, and more expensive, mud crab.

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Spec...s/Pages/default.aspx

The muddie here looks on the small side; normally nearly 10 inches across the shell. I see after being introduced to Hawai'i, mud crabs are colloquially known as Samoan crabs as they were originally imported from American Samoa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla_serrata

Your eating problems reminded me of a hospital visit I made back in the 1940s for an eye operation. For some reason I was placed in a tonsillitis ward. Sheer luxury for someone brought up on wartime rations. We had ice-cream ever day.

Rather strange, too, for a capital city hospital. Visitors could bring in food which patients took to the kitchen to be cooked for themselves. I walked into the kitchen one day with what I thought was a fresh egg brought in by my parents. Immediately I walked in, one bloke identified it as stale. He was right. How he could detect it so quickly has remained with me.

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3172 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Don’t know the vendor

https://www.cameronsseafood.co...maryland-blue-crabs/

I remember the ones in Pensacola Florida being much bigger. Haven’t seen them in years but they were the only ones mom would eat the body, the others were too much trouble.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Yeah, and all those sex crazed plants can make windshields hard to see through, too.

And the air very hard to breathe. It's almost like trying to breathe cotton!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
For Allan:
Maryland Crabcakes

Looks terrific.

Is your blue swimmer the same as ours? It has long been a favourite of mine, ahead of the more popular, and more expensive, mud crab.

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Spec...s/Pages/default.aspx

The muddie here looks on the small side; normally nearly 10 inches across the shell. I see after being introduced to Hawai'i, mud crabs are colloquially known as Samoan crabs as they were originally imported from American Samoa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla_serrata

Seems your Blue Swimmers are similar to our Maryland Blue, just not quite as sweet or flavorful, but in a crabcake, that probably isn't a deal breaker as some nuance can be expected to get lost in the cake. However, since the Mud Crab is specifically stated to be sweet and flavorful, I'd go with that one if possible. That said, if you can't taste the difference between the two, go with the least expensive.

quote:
Your eating problems reminded me of a hospital visit I made back in the 1940s for an eye operation. For some reason I was placed in a tonsillitis ward. Sheer luxury for someone brought up on wartime rations. We had ice-cream ever day.

Rather strange, too, for a capital city hospital. Visitors could bring in food which patients took to the kitchen to be cooked for themselves. I walked into the kitchen one day with what I thought was a fresh egg brought in by my parents. Immediately I walked in, one bloke identified it as stale. He was right. How he could detect it so quickly has remained with me.

Since it's starting to warm up a bit (we've hit 70+ a couple of times and are expected to do so again later this week) ice cream and smoothies will find a favored place on my menu!

Oh, if I can get a good look at an egg, I can tell if it is fresh or not. The older it is the more space at the larger end of the egg - caused by evaporation through the shell. And a fresh egg will still have a slight sheen (called bloom) that fades as it ages or is handled.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, if I can get a good look at an egg, I can tell if it is fresh or not. The older it is the more space at the larger end of the egg - caused by evaporation through the shell. And a fresh egg will still have a slight sheen (called bloom) that fades as it ages or is handled.

Thanks, I knew the air was there but forgot there was candling, I only remembered the float test!