Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 50

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your lip, and fragments. Tomorrow they finish my root canal restoration. Should be a simple filling.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Sorry to hear about your lip, and fragments. Tomorrow they finish my root canal restoration. Should be a simple filling.

At least the lip split is relatively minor. But there are at least 3 bone fragments to be dealt with...

Hope your restoration goes well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6526 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:

At least the lip split is relatively minor. But there is at least 3 bone fragments to be dealt with...

Hope your restoration goes well.

Easy peasy,

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Posts: 9594 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Ouch.

Not to worry. I'll live to bite another day Smile-Big   :D

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I now have a split lip (little accident), and some bone fragments protruding through my upper gums. Oh fun, Oh joy!

My goodness me, you are in the wars. Perhaps we should look on it as your paying penance, ensuring you, as martyr for your sins, will go straight to Paradise.

Can't promise you 72 virgins, though.

Seventy-two white grapes, maybe?

While you are going through your toils I, on the other hand, may be emerging from the *Slough of Despond.

No idea what happened, however I feel I may be getting back to my old -- nay, my younger -- self. Am reading more, and seem on the way to eliminating a boring time-wasting habit, one I also had when at my worst nearly 20 years ago.

Odd occurrence yesterday. Was having lunch with my sister and her husband when an old friend cam up. Haven't seen her in decades. Funny thing was, as soon as I saw her I new I was in trouble. Sure enough, she launched into a bout of Scots banter, taking the piss. We chatted for a while, then she left.

Could not for the life of me remember who she was; hadn't seen her in decades. Talked it over with my BiL,who came up with some suggestions, none even close. Then he told me where she came from. It started to fall into place, but even then I could not get it straight. When my sister came back, she took it further, asking a mutual friend, who put her in touch with this mysterious women.

Turns out she is an aunt of my ex.

Could be interesting.

I also liked her husband and family, so maybe...

*Did I tell you my Dad left me an 1877 copy of Pilgrim's Progress?

quote:
Umpire? WTF? You get started writing that bloody book of yours and I correct it as necessary. How's that? Smile-Big   :D

It's really getting to me.

Almost finished King Jesus. No doubt at all how much Robert Graves has influenced me.

When you get around to reading it, keep in mind what Margaret Barker has said.

While much is, of course, fiction, it is interesting to see how Graves has a different slant on what she has to say about the massive changes in Judaism between Hezekiah, Josiah, and the effects of the exile in Babylon.

Clearing up after my niece had selected some books, I am delighted. Found two I was convinced had been lost forever. Book of Grass was one I bought in defiance of a ruling from our then State Premier. Looking back, I'd love to know if my April Fool satire on him was what led to his eventual destruction. Some months after I was sacked (then reinstated), the company I worked for joined with the ABC in a program exposing his corruption which led to a Royal Commission and his ultimate sacking. His Police Commissioner and four Cabinet Ministers went to jail.

Too many owed him too much for him to go to jail with them, where he belonged.

Been listening to some brilliant opera, and am emotionally drained so I am off outside to listen to the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZC83-eMC4

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 2946 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:

My goodness me, you are in the wars. Perhaps we should look on it as your paying penance, ensuring you, as martyr for your sins, will go straight to Paradise.

Can't promise you 72 virgins, though.

Seventy-two white grapes, maybe?

It's probably not quite as bad as it sounds, although not very pleasant...

Lord knows I owe plenty of penance.

Paradise does sound nice, and yeah, let's skip the virgins. Maybe a bit of dark, smooth, chocolate filled with pomegranate nibs.

quote:
While you are going through your toils I, on the other hand, may be emerging from the *Slough of Despond.

No idea what happened, however I feel I may be getting back to my old -- nay, my younger -- self. Am reading more, and seem on the way to eliminating a boring time-wasting habit, one I also had when at my worst nearly 20 years ago.

I could use some of that! Been feeling my age - and then some - for the past couple of months. Doesn't help any that I also had a birthday while I was feeling low.

quote:
Could not for the life of me remember who she was; hadn't seen her in decades. Talked it over with my BiL,who came up with some suggestions, none even close. Then he told me where she came from. It started to fall into place, but even then I could not get it straight. When my sister came back, she took it further, asking a mutual friend, who put her in touch with this mysterious women.

Turns out she is an aunt of my ex.

Could be interesting.

I also liked her husband and family, so maybe...

Hmmm...nothing like a little mystery to keep us on our toes, hmmm.

quote:
*Did I tell you my Dad left me an 1877 copy of Pilgrim's Progress?

I loved that book!

quote:
Almost finished King Jesus. No doubt at all how much Robert Graves has influenced me.

When you get around to reading it, keep in mind what Margaret Barker has said.

While much is, of course, fiction, it is interesting to see how Graves has a different slant on what she has to say about the massive changes in Judaism between Hezekiah, Josiah, and the effects of the exile in Babylon.

Just ordered it. Looks interesting.

quote:
Been listening to some brilliant opera, and am emotionally drained so I am off outside to listen to the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZC83-eMC4

Whoa! A bit too much with morning coffee. Will try again this afternoon.

Ah, and we are expecting rain this afternoon...that should be nice.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paradise does sound nice, and yeah, let's skip the virgins. Maybe a bit of dark, smooth, chocolate filled with pomegranate nibs.

A vision of sweetness and light, you just can't help yourself, can you.

"Wonder how I can stir Allan's possums today," ponders JR. "Oh, I know, I'll casually mention pomegranates and see where that takes him."

Quite apart from the suggestion that the pomegranate was in fact the forbidden fruit in that garden in Eden, hence the conviction it has 613 seeds (wonder how jeff613 is getting on these days?), the pomegranate plays a significant role in many other mythologies.

Probably ties in sweetly with the Indo-European immigration/invasions of India and Persia:

Pomegranate is native to a region from modern-day Iran to northern India.[3] Pomegranates have been cultivated throughout the Middle East, South Asia, and Mediterranean region for several millennia, and also thrive in the drier climates of California and Arizona.[3][21][22] Pomegranates may have been domesticated as early as the 5th millennium BC, as they were one of the first fruit trees to be domesticated in the eastern Mediterranean region.[23]
Carbonized exocarp of the fruit has been identified in early Bronze Age levels of Jericho in the West Bank, as well as late Bronze Age levels of Hala Sultan Tekke on Cyprus and Tiryns.[24] A large, dry pomegranate was found in the tomb of Djehuty, the butler of Queen Hatshepsut in Egypt; Mesopotamian cuneiform records mention pomegranates from the mid-third millennium BC onwards.[25]
...Ancient Egyptians regarded the pomegranate as a symbol of prosperity and ambition. It was referred to by the Semitic names of jnhm or nhm.[61] According to the Ebers Papyrus, one of the oldest medical writings from around 1500 BC, Egyptians used the pomegranate for treatment of tapeworm and other infections.[62]
...The Greeks were familiar with the fruit far before it was introduced to Rome via Carthage, and it figures in multiple myths and artworks.[63] In Ancient Greek mythology, the pomegranate was known as the "fruit of the dead", and believed to have sprung from the blood of Adonis.[62][64]
The myth of Persephone, the goddess of the underworld, prominently features her consumption of seven pomegranate seeds, requiring her to spend seven months in the underworld every year. During these seven months, while Persephone sits on the throne of the underworld beside her husband Hades, her mother Demeter mourned and no longer gave fertility to the earth. This was an ancient Greek explanation for the seasons.[65]
...Within the Heraion at the mouth of the Sele, near Paestum, Magna Graecia, is a chapel devoted to the Madonna del Granato, "Our Lady of the Pomegranate", "who by virtue of her epithet and the attribute of a pomegranate must be the Christian successor of the ancient Greek goddess Hera", observes the excavator of the Heraion of Samos, Helmut Kyrieleis.[70]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomegranate

Oh, and of course we have this, haven't we:

According to Carl A. P. Ruck and Danny Staples, the chambered pomegranate is also a surrogate for the poppy's narcotic capsule, with its comparable shape and chambered interior.[66] On a Mycenaean seal illustrated in Joseph Campbell's Occidental Mythology (1964), figure 19, the seated Goddess of the double-headed axe (the labrys) offers three poppy pods in her right hand and supports her breast with her left. She embodies both aspects of the dual goddess, life-giving and death-dealing at once.

Ruck is but one on my many sources for my conviction entheogens created all our deities for us.

Synchronicity Rules OK

Took a break to sit in the sun to read King Jesus, starting at the numerologically significant page 360. It was about the Last Supper. Peter was assigned to cook the sacrificial lamb, which he placed on a religiously appropriate spit.

A pomegranate spit.

One reason I am struggling to start my book is there are too many questions I can not find definitive answers for.

Orthodox Abrahamic religionists have dominated too many fields, very often with clearly deliberate political assertions which totally separate their religious meanings from the religious meanings they had in the religions they adopted them from.

Look what happened to Allegro when he hypothesised -- and that is all he did, hypothesise -- that entheogens have a history in religion which needs to be researched.

Try convincing today's people about the significance of the calendar now compared with that of thousands of years ago, the religious significance of the all-too-secret numbers and letters with their association with specially selected trees.

Thanks to you I will spend quite some time trying to sleep as that challenge runs through my mind.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A vision of sweetness and light, you just can't help yourself, can you.

"Wonder how I can stir Allan's possums today," ponders JR. "Oh, I know, I'll casually mention pomegranates and see where that takes him."

Sugah lumps, I was thinking you would come down on the side of the virgins...but pomegranate info was certainly nice - and considerably more than I expected. Thanks.

quote:
One reason I am struggling to start my book is there are too many questions I can not find definitive answers for.

What makes you think a book has to provide definitive answers? They rarely do you know.

Most just provide the basis for more questions and research...

Even the very thorough Margaret Barker realized there was much more to be learned through research, which she knew she had barely scratched the surface of.

Sometimes the questions, properly framed, provide more information than shallow answers. Then, more information, coupled with the right mind for the question, will eventually focus in the right direction to bring us closer to the answer.

I'm not sure we will ever have THE answer to life's big question. What I'm thinking is that there are several...and that we each have to find our own.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
What makes you think a book has to provide definitive answers? They rarely do you know.
Most just provide the basis for more questions and research...

Put it down to my over-powering pedantry. Nothing worse as a proof-reader than to walk in at the start of a shift and see one of one's signed takes on the boss's desk. It meant one had goofed and was in for a bollocking.

The simple fact is that in many fields there is far too much information for any researcher to get on top of it.

Was just reading, from an authoritative source, they have found evidence of a different but related human type in South America which was there before the Siberians arrived. They went on to say these were the earliest humans on the continent.

However, while there is not yet any definite dating evidence, modern humans related to the First Australians were there at least as early as this latest find.

Was going to focus on Bernard Boas' It's Time to Rewrite the Bible.

Am obliged to say that Boas wrote this around the age of 82, and it was printed in 1994. Boas is a remarkable bloke, "an industrial scientist, Torah scholar, author, freemason, psychologist, marriage guidance counsellor and much else, often at the cutting edge of his professions". A Progressive Jew, so not likely to be respected by Orthodox Jews, he held a very high position in the Melbourne Jewish community. Though not a rabbi, he was prominent in synagogue activities.

While I certainly agree with much of his argument, in the present context I take issue with his claims that Moses (whoever he might have been)created many of the humane, decent, "modern" views of how we should treat other people. He effectively makes out pre-Moses cultures as uncaring "primitives".

Ironically, he mentions yetzer ha tov, the inclination to do the right thing, which is all but identical to my perception that, as an evolved social/tribal animal, we are genetically programmed to do only those things which benefit the tribe, avoid those which harm it.

However, Boas claims only humans behave in a moral fashion, saying all animals are immoral.

That is utter nonsense.

We all remember the 60s slogan Make Love, not War.

According to Frans de Waal,in his The Bonobo and the Atheist, if a female bonobo sees two males acting aggressively, looking to get into a fight, she will go up to one of them and invite him off for a quickie. They use sex as a peacemaker in many such situations.

Don't know if you have seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIOjWtm-bZo. How can anyone deny that Echo is every bit as moral as the best of rabbis?

quote:
I'm not sure we will ever have THE answer to life's big question. What I'm thinking is that there are several...and that we each have to find our own.

We will, eventually, providing Netanyahu doesn't blow us all off the map first.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Those without morals are amoral, not immoral!

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was my thought, too, when I read what he said.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on Echo.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That was my thought, too, when I read what he said.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on Echo.

Morality is not easily separated from what is human nature, or just nature. Mankind has decided that man is basically moral, as I believe Plato argued. My question would have we learned to describe what is nature as moral and then build on it with cultural norms or do we learn all of what we call nature? I think what we are is nature, and that religion has called that “as designed” so to speak!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Allan,

There is a discussion about press passes you might want to weigh in on. It’s Dixie’s.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Allan,
I'm in a funk. I'll get back to you re you post once it lifts...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the funk, they are hard to shake for sure!

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allan,
There is a discussion about press passes you might want to weigh in on. It’s Dixie’s.
Where can I find it, please?

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Allan,
Where can I find it, please?

Try this

http://aantares.com/eve/forums...6052334/m/3750052496

It’s about press passes being withdrawn. It’s fairly short.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allan, I'm in a funk. I'll get back to you re you post once it lifts...

Tell me about it.

Woke about five hours ago and only now is my head starting to clear. Cutting heavily into my tissue boxes.

Was it you or Reed who said there is a chiropractic method of clearing up this mess?

Been out of touch with the football club this season. Just discovered the top teams, male and female, are doing extremely well. The men's side in particular, as the top knobs have been doing their damnedest to get us out of the Premier League. We survived only because other clubs pulled out, and we have risen from cellar-dweller to the top of the league.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Allan, I'm in a funk. I'll get back to you re you post once it lifts...

Tell me about it.

Woke about five hours ago and only now is my head starting to clear. Cutting heavily into my tissue boxes.

Was it you or Reed who said there is a chiropractic method of clearing up this mess?

Been out of touch with the football club this season. Just discovered the top teams, male and female, are doing extremely well. The men's side in particular, as the top knobs have been doing their damnedest to get us out of the Premier League. We survived only because other clubs pulled out, and we have risen from cellar-dweller to the top of the league.

Not me for chiro and head congestion. However, sniffing saltwater can clear your sinuses. Make about strength to gargle. Put in hand or any shallow item you can get your nose in. Basically sniff as much as you can into your sinuses. It is messy, your nose will run the water and stuff back out. When you feel like it is clearing stop. For the next 5-10 minutes you will absolutely hate me as you won’t stop blowing your nose. Then you will notice that sinuses are clearer.

Of course if you have a Jedi pot or similar it’s easier and more efficient at getting most everything out, but both give relief.