Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 25
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I see tribe attributes in churches, organization, and various other groupings.

Whether they are as distinct as tribes we’d probably think of, I’m not sure.

Posts: 5131 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:

Yeah, and I'm not much of a joiner. But even the church I went to had members from as far away as 60 or so miles. Only 3 of them lived close to me. Haven't been in a while because of mobility issues and it's difficult for me to sit still for 15 minutes, never mind 90 minutes!

Maybe it's because I come from a scattered family, live in a big city, and worked with the military that I feel so non-tribalized.

Bottom line for me, I don't see how Allan's concept would work unless these groups were fairly close knit, and for me that means having more in common than a single interest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4141 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:

Yeah, and I'm not much of a joiner. But even the church I went to had members from as far away as 60 or so miles. Only 3 of them lived close to me. Haven't been in a while because of mobility issues and it's difficult for me to sit still for 15 minutes, never mind 90 minutes!

Maybe it's because I come from a scattered family, live in a big city, and worked with the military that I feel so non-tribalized.

Bottom line for me, I don't see how Allan's concept would work unless these groups were fairly close knit, and for me that means having more in common than a single interest.

My Dad was Navy so we moved at least every two years. The nature of his job meant that we would see, again and again certain people. It was sort of like nomad tribes that were split up only to find each other again.

From Allan’s perspective I see whole countries as a tribe, or at least the different political factions as tribes. That however does leave many of the more moderate out, or so it would seem. I don’t see these as close knit in all senses but I do see some closeness. I certainly don’t see the closeness that I invision a tribe in early America though.

Posts: 5131 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is where I'm getting confused: from your sentence above "why can't we just go back to that start and begin again..."

That is a common metaphorical perspective here. When we stuff things up, we get back to taws (back to square one), re-examine what we have done, identify the errors, and begin again.

From my own viewpoint, of course, all I am looking for is an acceptance that we are indeed an evolved social/tribal animal and nothing more.

Over the years I have said if I want to breed any animal, make the best use of it, I can find any number of books which will tell me how to go about it. Even learn to find the best stud pair.

But when I ask for a suitable breeding, rearing and training manual for the H*mo sapiens Great Ape infant, no one can recommend any.

No one should be permitted to have children until they have undergone a full and comprehensive training course. That would include pre-conception diet, child-bearing diet (including no alcohol and no nicotine), programs such as Secret Life of Babies and Why Am I?.
https://www.pbs.org/show/secret-life-babies/
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/why-am-i

Bloody hell, no one can drive a car without passing a licence test.

quote:
And yes, the old-style tribal life has long gone.
I have yet to find anything that serves as a good substitute. Seems to me mobility has put an end to it for the most part. People in all communal aspects of life; family, play, school, work, worship, community, seem so transient.
But then, I don't warm up to strangers very quickly. They have to prove themselves worthy first.

UK shows such as Midsomer Murders do that well, the multi-generation inhabitants taking exception to newcomers who want to change things radically.

Yet I have heard of other cultures where someone bakes a cake, others whip up meals and drinks, and turn up to welcome the newcomers.

See? We do know how to behave properly.

Just a matter of having the will to do it.

Where's that other training manual?

quote:
Frankly, they ("Me Generation") baffle me. Seems almost like a revolt sometimes, but I keep trying to figure out what exactly they intend to accomplish. Do THEY even know?

I'd say for most the answer is no.

But then, how dated is our education system?

It's entirely up to the parents. The more options they provide, the more likely the youngster is to find their role in life. Viva la Montessori. The top Australian students, most from private schools so far as I can tell, are up with the best in the world. At the same time, Australia ranks 6th in this, though I think it over-optimistic. Below Canada, 3rd, we're way ahead of the USA on 15th.
https://www.theguardian.com/ne...aths-science-reading

quote:
Doesn't quite meet my idea of "tribe".

Well, you just need to get with it, doncha?

Was going to post the original 1964 version (where were you then, eh, Babe?) but thought this more appropriate. It has the full text; worth the look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9drv78dC

quote:

We are quite a ways from that. Can't happen soon enough to suit me.

So what plans are you making to turn things around?

quote:

Most kids learn by examples from their parents. Can't preach one thing and another.
Then there are some parents who act as if their children are blind, deaf, and dumb. They do whatever they please and the kids can just be damned. Makes one wonder why they even had kids to start with.

You've now seen my thoughts on that.

Just found a group looking for volunteer tutors. In applying, I gave them my Blue Card number.

What's a Blue Card?

It is a State requirement for all adults working with juniors in any role. Recipients have been checked out by the police and other institutions.

Irony Rules OK

I, father of four, grandfather of seven, have to be approved before I can work with children???

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1590 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

How difficult, really, would it be to identify the relevant problems and create a fresh start?

Posts: 1590 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
This is where I'm getting confused: from your sentence above "why can't we just go back to that start and begin again..."

That is a common metaphorical perspective here. When we stuff things up, we get back to taws (back to square one), re-examine what we have done, identify the errors, and begin again.

From my own viewpoint, of course, all I am looking for is an acceptance that we are indeed an evolved social/tribal animal and nothing more.

Over the years I have said if I want to breed any animal, make the best use of it, I can find any number of books which will tell me how to go about it. Even learn to find the best stud pair.

But when I ask for a suitable breeding, rearing and training manual for the H*mo sapiens Great Ape infant, no one can recommend any.

No one should be permitted to have children until they have undergone a full and comprehensive training course. That would include pre-conception diet, child-bearing diet (including no alcohol and no nicotine), programs such as Secret Life of Babies and Why Am I?.

quote:
And yes, the old-style tribal life has long gone.
I have yet to find anything that serves as a good substitute. Seems to me mobility has put an end to it for the most part. People in all communal aspects of life; family, play, school, work, worship, community, seem so transient.
But then, I don't warm up to strangers very quickly. They have to prove themselves worthy first.

UK shows such as Midsomer Murders do that well, the multi-generation inhabitants taking exception to newcomers who want to change things radically.

Yet I have heard of other cultures where someone bakes a cake, others whip up meals and drinks, and turn up to welcome the newcomers.

quote:
Frankly, they ("Me Generation") baffle me. Seems almost like a revolt sometimes, but I keep trying to figure out what exactly they intend to accomplish. Do THEY even know?

It's entirely up to the parents. The more options they provide, the more likely the youngster is to find their role in life. Viva la Montessori. The top Australian students, most from private schools so far as I can tell, are up with the best in the world. At the same time, Australia ranks 6th in this, though I think it over-optimistic. Below Canada, 3rd, we're way ahead of the USA on 15th.

quote:

Was going to post the original 1964 version (where were you then, eh, Babe?) but thought this more appropriate. It has the full text; worth the look.

quote:

quote:

Most kids learn by examples from their parents. Can't preach one thing and another.
Then there are some parents who act as if their children are blind, deaf, and dumb. They do whatever they please and the kids can just be damned. Makes one wonder why they even had kids to start with.

Just found a group looking for volunteer tutors. In applying, I gave them my Blue Card number.

What's a Blue Card?

It is a State requirement for all adults working with juniors in any role. Recipients have been checked out by the police and other institutions.

Irony Rules OK

I, father of four, grandfather of seven, have to be approved before I can work with children???

Father’s/grandfathers do sexually assault their charges!

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are you suggesting?

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What are you suggesting?

Simply that having children isn’t proof that you are harmless to children. We too have police cards, so to speak, that are background checks for those working with children! It’s a goood thing in theory but annoying to those that must pay for the check to simply do their jobs! One forestry professor had to get a different check to offer a basically free course, on campus, to high school students during the summer. The cost discourages such oportunities being made available, but I don’t see an alternative.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simply that having children isn’t proof that you are harmless to children. We too have police cards, so to speak, that are background checks for those working with children! It’s a good thing in theory but annoying to those that must pay for the check to simply do their jobs! One forestry professor had to get a different check to offer a basically free course, on campus, to high school students during the summer. The cost discourages such opportunities being made available, but I don’t see an alternative.

I was being facetious.

We do not pay for our cards. Volunteers are regarded too highly for that.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Simply that having children isn’t proof that you are harmless to children. We too have police cards, so to speak, that are background checks for those working with children! It’s a good thing in theory but annoying to those that must pay for the check to simply do their jobs! One forestry professor had to get a different check to offer a basically free course, on campus, to high school students during the summer. The cost discourages such opportunities being made available, but I don’t see an alternative.

I was being facetious.

We do not pay for our cards. Volunteers are regarded too highly for that.

Hmmm that’s good news. I believe a friend that was reading to kidsin a library, as a volunteer, still paid for his background check! I don’t recall it being high in Virginia, but the difference may be inflation.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ahhhh. Got it.

I can accept that we are an evolved social/tribal animal, some more evolved than others, of course. And some more social than others as well.

quote:

My understanding is that a woman has access to numerous professional doctors for that. How adequate it is I cannot attest to since I've never needed the service.

quote:

No argument here. But I've yet to determine a failsafe way to keep careless idiots from impregnating or getting pregnant...

quote:

Haven't seen any of that since I left the countryside. Long ago and far away. Everyone seems big city busy these days.

quote:

With the education system being so massive, I'm thinking change is gonna be slow and cumbersome, but that hardly means it shouldn't be done. Trying to get everyone onboard to make the necessary changes would be the most difficult part. There's always the neanderthals who don't want to progress to the next level, and the religious nutjobs who balk at anything scientific.

quote:

Oops, the link didn't work for me.

quote:

I'm not. Hardly think I'll live long enough to see it, not to mention that I don't think we are ready for it yet.

Once the global nations come to terms with it in dealing with each other, it will filter down to individual economies...eventually.

IOW, I think this one will happen top-down. Nations exchanging goods and services vice the sell and buy process.

quote:

What's a Blue Card?

Irony Rules OK

Hey, I live 2 doors up from a man who was imprisoned for molesting his daughter, and then his granddaughter 2 months after he was released from incarceration from the first. There are some sick bubbas and bubbettes out there. We see it on the news quite often where teachers/coaches have crossed that line with students. We cannot be too careful in my opinion.

Posts: 4141 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How difficult, really, would it be to identify the relevant problems and create a fresh start?

Who exactly do you suppose should be charged with correcting this issue?

IMHO, it's going to take a complete paradigm shift. "Self" can no longer be the center of everyone's world. Until we can see that "community" has more "rights" than individuals, we are stuck with the mess we made when we gave "individual rights" precedence over community rights. Until USA has become socialized, it just ain't gonna happen, because capitalism is cut-throat, me-first to the max and it stains everything it touches.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ahhhh. Got it.
I can accept that we are an evolved social/tribal animal, some more evolved than others, of course. And some more social than others as well.

More evolved?

Or just different?

Same goes for the more social. Develop any youngster's self-confidence (not that self-esteem bovine excreta) and see what happens. Can think of a number of players whose parents told me exactly that, their children feeling better about themselves, coping better with social interactions and with school work.

quote:
JR: My understanding is that a woman has access to numerous professional doctors for that. How adequate it is I cannot attest to since I've never needed the service.

Not the sort of training I have in mind.

We do have courses for prospective mums and dads. I want to take it much further. As I said earlier, from pre-conception all the way through past puberty.

At one level I can well imagine the ruckus when this first, gradually (softly, softly, catchee monkey), becomes compulsory. However, once it is up and running the only question will be "why the eff didn't we do this earlier?"

quote:

No argument here. But I've yet to determine a failsafe way to keep careless idiots from impregnating or getting pregnant...

It will come.

Once we accept that seven billion plus and counting is far too many people, a medical block will prevent puberty, making it impossible to have children until that block is removed for those who pass the tests.

Of course I can see the threats here.

Have you read The Marching Morons? Kornbluth was a mere 67 years ahead of me.
http://mysite.du.edu/~treddell...-Marching-Morons.pdf

Which reminds me: that link I gave you was Dylan's The Times They Are a-Changin'. The original version sounded awful, then I saw his updated 2018 version. It should be easy enough to find.

quote:
With the education system being so massive, I'm thinking change is gonna be slow and cumbersome, but that hardly means it shouldn't be done. Trying to get everyone onboard to make the necessary changes would be the most difficult part. There's always the neanderthals who don't want to progress to the next level, and the religious nutjobs who balk at anything scientific... Hardly think I'll live long enough to see it, not to mention that I don't think we are ready for it yet...IOW, I think this one will happen top-down. Nations exchanging goods and services vice the sell and buy process.

I wonder. It is starting very slowly here, which is why I want to get into that volunteer tutor program.

Was talking with my sister yesterday, and all this dumbing-down started well before I thought it had. She was having children two decades before I started, and had to teach her brood the times-table.

In other words, her children's earlier system was already on the rocks.

Oddly enough, though we grew up here, she and I both married Scots. One consequence of that heritage is all our grandchildren seem to be going well, including the two with Mensa IQs. Parents of both of those have gone out of their way to find the right types of school. Found out yesterday that, after shopping around, her grandson is now at the same private school mine go to. Have one much-needed win with my brood; all grandchildren old enough began with Montessori then moved on to a top school.

Also spoke with a grandmother who said her daughter complained to her child's teacher that she could not read her child's handwriting, and the spelling was dreadful.

The teacher's response?

"So long as I can read it, it is all OK."

That is where I see the gap. Dumbed-down parents do not understand what is needed and do nothing to fix the issue.

With any luck, I'll find the people I need to support me when I finally get that tuit (you know, the round one) and start stirring the possum here.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/artist1961/round-tuit/

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Allan, will have to get back to you when I'm fresh. Just blew away the post that was almost finished and it's just not in me to try it again right now.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allan, will have to get back to you when I'm fresh. Just blew away the post that was almost finished and it's just not in me to try it again right now.

Been there, done that, mate, so I know exactly what you feel.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
quote:
More evolved?

Or just different?

Yep! Smile   :)

Posts: 9000 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Yep! Smile   :)

Have you yet listened to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNF_F6oeRU

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
More evolved?

Or just different?

Same goes for the more social. Develop any youngster's self-confidence (not that self-esteem bovine excreta) and see what happens. Can think of a number of players whose parents told me exactly that, their children feeling better about themselves, coping better with social interactions and with school work.

Well, certainly different from those neanderthal or knuckling dragging baboon Archie Bunker types.
Archie Jews n Blacks

But I'm all the way with you on nurturing self-confidence in our kids. And the younger the better, imho.

quote:
We do have courses for prospective mums and dads. I want to take it much further. As I said earlier, from pre-conception all the way through past puberty.

At one level I can well imagine the ruckus when this first, gradually (softly, softly, catchee monkey), becomes compulsory. However, once it is up and running the only question will be "why the eff didn't we do this earlier?"

Once you make it compulsory, there's lots of room for messing it up. All you gotta do is look at what the popes did with Christianity...or what the Marxists did with socialism.

quote:
Once we accept that seven billion plus and counting is far too many people, a medical block will prevent puberty, making it impossible to have children until that block is removed for those who pass the tests.

Of course I can see the threats here.

Have you read The Marching Morons? Kornbluth was a mere 67 years ahead of me.
http://mysite.du.edu/~treddell...-Marching-Morons.pdf

Yeah, like that. Bottom line: people have to determine for themselves that they HAVE to change.

quote:
Which reminds me: that link I gave you was Dylan's The Times They Are a-Changin'. The original version sounded awful, then I saw his updated 2018 version. It should be easy enough to find.

Found it.

quote:
I wonder. It is starting very slowly here, which is why I want to get into that volunteer tutor program.

Was talking with my sister yesterday, and all this dumbing-down started well before I thought it had. She was having children two decades before I started, and had to teach her brood the times-table.

In other words, her children's earlier system was already on the rocks.

Oddly enough, though we grew up here, she and I both married Scots. One consequence of that heritage is all our grandchildren seem to be going well, including the two with Mensa IQs. Parents of both of those have gone out of their way to find the right types of school. Found out yesterday that, after shopping around, her grandson is now at the same private school mine go to. Have one much-needed win with my brood; all grandchildren old enough began with Montessori then moved on to a top school.

Also spoke with a grandmother who said her daughter complained to her child's teacher that she could not read her child's handwriting, and the spelling was dreadful.

The teacher's response?

"So long as I can read it, it is all OK."

That is where I see the gap. Dumbed-down parents do not understand what is needed and do nothing to fix the issue.

When parents aren't involved in their children's education, the kids can count themselves fortunate if they receive one. IOW Allan, I have little confidence in our education system. What passes for a 12 year education here in our inner-cities is laughable. Most parents seem to leave it to the system to get their kids through school as best they can, with little or no input from the parents.

quote:
With any luck, I'll find the people I need to support me when I finally get that tuit (you know, the round one) and start stirring the possum here.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/artist1961/round-tuit/

I applaude your inclination and pray your energy holds up!

I missed our baby spinach salmonella recall by about 2 days. Good thing is I only had a small amount in a salad because I intended to use the rest in cooking. But I'm still feeling drained from the experience...not that I have an abundance of energy on the best of days lately. Pain takes a lot out of me.

Don't think my cardiologist and dentist are going to play nice together either. Missed my last cardiology appointment since it was right after my salmonella episode, but he wants to see me before he renders his decision regarding the dental waver. He's not likely to approve me for a drug* known to cause heart palpitations. But we'll see.

*Seems they use epinephrine to extend duration of the effects of lidocaine.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
New Trump Emoji

LOL-2!   :lol2:

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Just for you, Allan:

https://hermeneutics.stackexch...of-deuteronomy-328-9