Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 50

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Especially science, like physics or chemistry. Which is often easier than things like English or history, IMNSHO.

Posts: 9569 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dear gods, we can't even provide effective education systems despite the fact I was reading Jean Piaget (1936) long before I married, Maria Montessori before I had children.

The information is all there, everything we need, yet I am buggered if I can see any effort at all being made to solve this.

Can you see anything? I'd appreciate some links.

I've heard a bit of noise over the past decade regarding changes in our education systems, but I've yet to hear anything "front page" regarding it. Since I don't currently have any friends associated with the education system, I'm kinda out of the loop on what is really happening.

Did go poking about and found a few things you might find interesting. Notice the dates on these sites.

Systemic Change

Push For New Ways

Do American Schools Need To Change

Notice the references on this one...
Effects Of Learning Approach

The Future of Learning

Major Changes in K-12

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6466 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
I've heard a bit of noise over the past decade regarding changes in our education systems, but I've yet to hear anything "front page" regarding it. Since I don't currently have any friends associated with the education system, I'm kinda out of the loop on what is really happening.
Did go poking about and found a few things you might find interesting. Notice the dates on these sites.

Thanks for those.

Have to do this quickly as must head out for a while.

May be doing Tony Wagner an injustice, but on a short look he is an example of the problem as I interpret it.
http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/image...lications/elmast.gif

In an admittedly quick read, I see no indication he even begins to understand we are an evolved social/tribal animal. Not one word about Piaget or Montessori, no indication he even has so much as looked at Finland or other progressive countries. As I understand it, the Netherlands has a dual system in the State, with Montessori schools running alongside orthodox schools, though I note it does not rate in this top 20:.

https://worldtop20.org/worldbesteducationsystem

Instead of asking US parents and employers what they want, surely he should first look at what is happening overseas?

One important point for me is asking the right questions, something few can do. How, exactly, does one interpret what a proper education system achieves?

Compare this with my education-ratings site:

https://www.news.com.au/financ...58c0b7399a121f264df6

Gotta go or I'll never get out of the house.

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 2913 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

Thanks for those.

Have to do this quickly as must head out for a while.

May be doing Tony Wagner an injustice, but on a short look he is an example of the problem as I interpret it.
http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/image...lications/elmast.gif

In an admittedly quick read, I see no indication he even begins to understand we are an evolved social/tribal animal. Not one word about Piaget or Montessori, no indication he even has so much as looked at Finland or other progressive countries. As I understand it, the Netherlands has a dual system in the State, with Montessori schools running alongside orthodox schools, though I note it does not rate in this top 20:.

https://worldtop20.org/worldbesteducationsystem

Instead of asking US parents and employers what they want, surely he should first look at what is happening overseas?

One important point for me is asking the right questions, something few can do. How, exactly, does one interpret what a proper education system achieves?

Could not maneuver within that 1st site. All I get is a black page with the Educational Leadership logo on it.

Saved the second site to poke around in. Good info.

quote:
Compare this with my education-ratings site:

https://www.news.com.au/financ...58c0b7399a121f264df6

Nice to see you moving on up Wink   ;) Of course, that the US is slipping is no secret to any of us except these sorryassed repubbies who have their heads so far up the liddle donnie's butt they cannot see the light of day.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Oh, dear, this was a bad move.

An ad running on TV just now had a familiar sound, so I chased it up on YouTube.

Should not have done this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...DCIzGnQCxtEQ&index=4
quote:
https://hechingerreport.org/as...ts-feel-left-behind/

Get the same reaction to this one. Seems to me the problems are not identified.

Instead, the conventional orthodox just keep running around the same circles because they are incapable of getting out of their loops.

In fairness I have to concede there is just far too much information.

One thing few seem to be capable of realising is that the orthodox insistence that children MUST have time to play their childish games with dolls and cars is bovine excreta in the extreme. Because we are ALL genetically programmed to learn how to behave as tribal Great Apes we learn through play. How else for a 2yo? You will remember I told you about the developer who could not get over the totally different performances of children in orthodox child-minding centres and those in the next-door Montessori centres.

Both groups were playing. Which group was learning what they need to know?

Our distant ancestors knew this, so it is inexcusable we have forgotten it.

Rereading an old Asimov sci-fi robotics series, I am reminded of Stephen Hawking's concerns about the future of robotics. Had he had the time to read Asimov's robotic short stories and the extended series which originated in Caves of Steel, he would have met R(obot). Daneel Olivaw and R. Giskard Reventlov, key robotic figures in Asimov's extended series. Hawking might have felt more secure.

Even worse now.

Johnny Mathis has been replaced by Nat King Cole. Oh, that certain smile. What Will My Mary Say? Sooner I return to Ynys Afallon, Tír na nÓg, the better.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, dear, this was a bad move.

An ad running on TV just now had a familiar sound, so I chased it up on YouTube.

Should not have done this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...DCIzGnQCxtEQ&index=4

Poor baby!
Bookmarked it for one of those cold and rainy nights when I've poured me a Scotch on the rocks.

quote:
Get the same reaction to this one. Seems to me the problems are not identified.

Instead, the conventional orthodox just keep running around the same circles because they are incapable of getting out of their loops.

In fairness I have to concede there is just far too much information.

One thing few seem to be capable of realising is that the orthodox insistence that children MUST have time to play their childish games with dolls and cars is bovine excreta in the extreme. Because we are ALL genetically programmed to learn how to behave as tribal Great Apes we learn through play. How else for a 2yo? You will remember I told you about the developer who could not get over the totally different performances of children in orthodox child-minding centres and those in the next-door Montessori centres.

Both groups were playing. Which group was learning what they need to know?

Our distant ancestors knew this, so it is inexcusable we have forgotten it.

Rereading an old Asimov sci-fi robotics series, I am reminded of Stephen Hawking's concerns about the future of robotics. Had he had the time to read Asimov's robotic short stories and the extended series which originated in Caves of Steel, he would have met R(obot). Daneel Olivaw and R. Giskard Reventlov, key robotic figures in Asimov's extended series. Hawking might have felt more secure.

I'm at least a little less worried now that I'm aware that the education system has come to the conclusion that changes need to be made and that they are making the effort to do so.

There is always push-back, but it is usually overcome in time.

quote:
Even worse now.

Johnny Mathis has been replaced by Nat King Cole. Oh, that certain smile. What Will My Mary Say? Sooner I return to Ynys Afallon, Tír na nÓg, the better.

Another rainy night and Scotch save.

Lighten up on yourself. It's all gonna be alright...eventually.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
I am totally smitten by this singer. Was looking for a "screaming" bit on YouTube to send to someone and this guy popped up in the mix. Although he wasn't what I had in mind (he has a song titled 'Screaming'), I had never seen him and was intrigued enough to give him a listen.

Am I ever glad I did! The depth, the height, the range, the beauty...Never mind, just give him a listen and see for yourselves.

Dimash Kudaibergen

Screaming

Adagio

Smitten, I'm tellin' ya. Totally smitten.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Apparently another typhoon is headed for us so we are skipping Shanghai! Headed for Xiamen then Hong Kong, on Thursday and Friday!

Posts: 10285 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Apparently another typhoon is headed for us so we are skipping Shanghai! Headed for Xiamen then Hong Kong, on Thursday and Friday!

Yikes!

Glad they are making the effort to keep you safe.

Got our first big snow storm for this Fall:

ABC

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
My goodness that seems early!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
There have been 3 typhoons since we got here at the beginning of the month. The first one hit Tokyo when we were on the other side. The last two have been similar type paths in that they impacted similar waters.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, and we've been having record heat all last week and it is expected to continue through this week.

Does look like it might start cooling down by next weekend though. Can hardly wait!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Allan,
I know I promised a review on Boomerang's Aussie-style Pot Pies.

Had the Spinach & Mushroom one yesterday with an ice cold beer (don't wanna hear about your warm beer, Sugah). Had the Beef & Potato pie for lunch today. Pies were piping hot and beer was @ 33 degrees. Fabulous.

Neither were dripping and juicy, nor were they dry. The spinach & mushroom was moistened with Monterey Jack Cheese mixed with a cream sauce. The Beef & Potato had a nice thick gravy unlikely to drip onto your shirt or tie.

Both are keepers, but probably not quite large enough for most people unless served with a salad or other side dishes, although they are plenty for me.

I'll be going back for more.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had the Spinach & Mushroom one yesterday with an ice cold beer (don't wanna hear about your warm beer, Sugah).

Oh, dear. Seems you have forgotten I have lived in Australia for a smidgen less than 70 years. No hot beer here, my love.

I do remember, though, having a photo taken while sitting in a snowdrift in Scotland back in 79, skolling a beer just to prove a point. Difficult to find a genuinely warm beer in my homeland.

Glad you enjoyed your beef pie.

I can see, too, why you enjoy Dimash Kudaibergen; what a voice range. No wonder all the girls love him. You may noticed one of the women backing him up. Most attractive, however I doubt I would want to get on the wrong side of her. A gulag camp in Siberia would not be so cold.

quote:
Both are keepers, but probably not quite large enough for most people unless served with a salad or other side dishes, although they are plenty for me.

Maybe you could find a tin of mushy peas in your supermarket?

Or go for the real thing:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...y-peas-recipe-435950

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone who fondly imagines human pollution is not seriously affecting our weather is living in cloud cuckoo land.

This is dated September 6, the beginning of Spring:

https://www.couriermail.com.au...790f655c971e14371322
Qld fire risk at its highest in generations, says chief
Danielle O’Neal, The Courier-Mail
September 6, 2019 12:00am

QUEENSLANDERS are being warned to brace for some of the most extreme fire conditions in generations over the next two days, as temperatures soar and winds ramp up. Extreme fire warnings have been issued for Maranoa, Warrego, Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts, while a severe fire risk is forecast in Central Highlands, Coalfields, Wide Bay, Burnett and Southeast Coast areas.
‘Scary, disgraceful’ move as risk looms
Warning over southeast fire risk
‘Situation could get worse quickly’

Regional fire chief Alan Gillespie yesterday warned southeast Queensland was facing one of the most serious bushfire threats in generations, while helicopter bombers and planes were on standby at Toowoomba to deal with potentially catastrophic conditions on the Granite Belt.
Bureau of Meteorology senior meteorologist Peter Otto said it would be the most severe fire danger for September the state had seen in at least six years.
...If issued, it will be the second time catastrophic fire conditions have been declared within the state – the first was last year during devastating bushfires in central Queensland.

New South Wales is facing the same danger.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the weather changes are more than what they should be. That even given some natural fluctuation there is something amiss.

Montana made the news more normal than snow in Georgia certainly would have too. I misunderstood JRs we.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Had the Spinach & Mushroom one yesterday with an ice cold beer (don't wanna hear about your warm beer, Sugah).

Oh, dear. Seems you have forgotten I have lived in Australia for a smidgen less than 70 years. No hot beer here, my love.

I do remember, though, having a photo taken while sitting in a snowdrift in Scotland back in 79, skolling a beer just to prove a point. Difficult to find a genuinely warm beer in my homeland.

Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else on that. Thought I had recalled you extolling the virtues of the stuff. Also dated an Englishman way back when, and he attempted to sell me on its virtues. Never could stomach the stuff.

Really don't care for beer, in general, although I've tried numerous brands. Finally found one I liked; George Killian's Red. But I can only drink it ice cold and bottled. Tried it on tap at a pub once, but it wasn't cold enough for me. Like that bitter top note and the slight sweetness that lingers in the mouth after. Hits the spot for me.

quote:
I can see, too, why you enjoy Dimash Kudaibergen; what a voice range. No wonder all the girls love him. You may noticed one of the women backing him up. Most attractive, however I doubt I would want to get on the wrong side of her. A gulag camp in Siberia would not be so cold.

Got another one for you. According to Wiki, he has performed songs in twelve different languages, his native language Kazakh, Russian, Mandarin, English, French, Italian, Ukrainian, Turkish, Serbian, Kyrgyz, German, and Spanish. This one is in French, and so far, it is my fav:

SOS

The story behind the original French version ends on a sad note...until Dimash sings it:
Michel Berger and Daniel Balavoine

quote:
Maybe you could find a tin of mushy peas in your supermarket?

Or go for the real thing:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...y-peas-recipe-435950

Looks like something I would like and I found the dried and tinned ones at Amazon! Since I rarely use any tinned products, that recipe will come in handy, so I bookmarked it. Thanks.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that the weather changes are more than what they should be. That even given some natural fluctuation there is something amiss.

Montana made the news more normal than snow in Georgia certainly would have too. I misunderstood JRs we.

Agreed.

Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding. Thought the ABC link would clear it up for you, but yeah, the snow storm was in Montana while we, in Atlanta, were still breaking heat records!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
The link took a while to load, but it eventually set me straight!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, is this cool or what?

Shade Balls