Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Don't be so hard on yourself. We are all wearing out...it is the natural course of things that will bring us to a higher place.

Taking a bit of getting used to. I am reminded of Mum, who had had enough and was ready to go long before this happened.

Neither she nor I had any fear of death.

Yeah, I know, Sugah. And while I know stuff wears out, it's been difficult to take it in stride for me too. I'm not even 70 yet but I've noticed a decline in energy. Tummy is doing much better, but the back is gradually getting worse. And dealing with the teeth has certainly taken its toll on me this year. Wouldn't want to outlast my use by date either - especially my brain's - although the way it looks, my body's is likely to expire first.

Got another appointment on Thursday - still trying to get a good map of my mouth so they can plan for the installment of the prongs for the bottom dentures. This will be the 3rd attempt...don't know what the problem is, but I fully intend to find out so we can get this fixed.

So it looks like I'm not going to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner this year. Had really hoped this would all be over by then and I could possibly travel to visit my Mom on the holiday and pig out with the family. Oh well, guess I can make it up for it at Christmas. At least the pig out part, since I usually don't go out in the dead of Winter because it causes my back muscles to seize up.

Made a pot of beef stew and one of split pea soup last week. Trying to get up the energy to make a pot of meatball and veggie soup - one of my favs. But I've got 2 loads of laundry begging to be taken care of first and I've yet to talk myself into it.

Finally got my peas delivered (from England no less) so I need to be getting a pot of mushy peas made up since I already have 2 of the pies in the freezer. Takes me forever to do nothing so there is always something nipping at my heels begging to get my attention. I do get tired of pushing myself sometimes though...

Some days it's all I can do to feed Miz Baby, plus the 9 ferals, and myself, twice a day. Did manage to break apart a store-bought roasted chicken and shred it all up for the feral kitties...and Miz Baby tonight as a treat, along with their usual bagged cat food. Broke a leg and thigh off for myself to go with asparagus and potato salad. We were all fat and happy for the evening.

So don't feel so all alone, ok. It gets tuff sometimes for all of us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6580 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
A man after my own heart; check his final sentence:

As the use of mind-expanding drugs makes the transition from counter-culture to mainstream medicine, scientists take different views on how the field should be presented to the outside world.
Ben Sessa, a clinical psychiatrist and researcher at Imperial College London, has urged journalists to focus on the “rigorous science”. “Are you going to focus on the tie-dye and the dreads … or are you going to look at the cutting-edge neuroscience here?” he asked. “I can’t tell you how to do your job, but if I was you, I’d not look back to the past, I’d look to the future.”
Others are more openly enthusiastic about the broader, non-medical, uses of psychedelic drugs. “My wild fantasy is that, probably some time after I’m long dead, these drugs are used in seminary training, rabbinical training,” said Richards, who began research into psychedelics in the 1960s. “Why shouldn’t the opportunity be there to explore deeply spiritual states of consciousness in a legal way?”
https://www.theguardian.com/sc...gredient-for-science

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3029 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
About to put me to bed for the night, but yeah, from what I understand from a little research on NDEs, many who are "religious" become less so - but considerably "more spiritual" because they get a taste of the "oneness" of the universe.

Not a bad place to be.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bluelamp:
Need someone as good as Zoroaster only with a modern knowledge starting point. Here's a good Zoroaster write-up.
https://www.hinduwebsite.com/z...ianism/spacetime.asp
I keep running into the same issue.

All these Egyptian, Minoan, Middle Eastern and Indian religions were created millennia after we started creating our mythologies, after we had moved from the hunter-gatherer stage to farming and then creating our towns and cities.
All one need do is see how often their deities created humans from dust and clay as in pottery which, so far as I can find, came may have begun 10,000 years ago.*

No question in my mind that the Tanakh, right from the start, long before it was rewritten after the return from Exile, was a straight political tract designed to united a group if politically, militarily, and economically irrelevant nomadic tribes who suffered all too often at the hands of the great City States.

*China is different:
https://www.theguardian.com/sc...e-pottery-oldest-yet

The Egyptians and Mayans both say their civilisation came from men who arrived in ships and taught them all they knew.

You've seen me go on about Eden in the East as the possible source. Seems the Spice Islands have been occupied since well before the end of the Ice Age, which raises the question of where the wealth of those early Sundalander seafarers came from.

When we go back to the Dreamtime, we can see how the first human communities created their mythologies in part to answer questions they had no answer for, hence our creation of superhuman beings.

By the time we get to Zarathustra, Abraham, and so on, this aspect of mythology was used politically by all and sundry. How many kings, even up to James VI, claimed they were either the gods themselves or at least their direct representatives?

Posts: 3029 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Here to stay...
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep running into the same issue.

All these Egyptian, Minoan, Middle Eastern and Indian religions were created millennia after we started creating our mythologies, after we had moved from the hunter-gatherer stage to farming and then creating our towns and cities.
All one need do is see how often their deities created humans from dust and clay as in pottery which, so far as I can find, came may have begun 10,000 years ago.*

No question in my mind that the Tanakh, right from the start, long before it was rewritten after the return from Exile, was a straight political tract designed to united a group if politically, militarily, and economically irrelevant nomadic tribes who suffered all too often at the hands of the great City States.

The Egyptians and Mayans both say their civilisation came from men who arrived in ships and taught them all they knew.

You've seen me go on about Eden in the East as the possible source. Seems the Spice Islands have been occupied since well before the end of the Ice Age, which raises the question of where the wealth of those early Sundalander seafarers came from.

When we go back to the Dreamtime, we can see how the first human communities created their mythologies in part to answer questions they had no answer for, hence our creation of superhuman beings.

By the time we get to Zarathustra, Abraham, and so on, this aspect of mythology was used politically by all and sundry. How many kings, even up to James VI, claimed they were either the gods themselves or at least their direct representatives?

Supposedly the best book for connecting these dots is this one but it's way too pricey (I can though get a pdf of it):

https://www.amazon.com/Plato-P...eology/dp/0940262347

quote:
In his Timaeus and Critias dialogues, Plato wrote of two ancient civilizations that flourished more than 9000 years before his time. Socrates accepted the account as true, and modern archaeological techniques may yet prove him right. In a synthesis of classical and archaeological scholarship, Mary Settegast takes us from the cave paintings of Lascaux to the shrines of Catal Huyuk, demonstrating correspondences both to Plato's tale and to the mystery religions of antiquity. She then traces the mid-seventh millennium impulse that revitalized the spiritual life of Catal Huyuk and spread agriculture from Iran to the Greek peninsula -- at precisely the time given by Aristotle for the legendary Persian prophet Zarathustra, for whom cultivation of the earth was a religious imperative.

Both Graham Hancock and my channeling forum mention the above book and Hancock is into the same idea in his book:

https://grahamhancock.com/the-...d-of-graham-hancock/

quote:
Beginning with the appropriately titled chapter “Voyage into the Supernatural”, the rest of the book moves away from cave art into a completely different frame of investigation, one which is best compared to the ground-breaking books of Jacques Vallee during the 1960s and 70s (a point Hancock acknowledges later on). While the first part of Supernatural investigates a minor paradigm change, these chapters aim to reassess our entire vision of reality. Hancock prefaces this change of tack with this:

“Because I had been shaken to the core by my experiences with ayahuasca and ibogaine, I decided to take my investigation further and to explore the extraordinary possibility…that the spirit world and its inhabitants are real, that supernatural powers and non-physical beings do exist.”

In this chapter Hancock provides a marvelous illustration of the correspondences between shamanic experiences and the ‘alien abduction’ phenomenon (surrounded by quotes because Hancock is certainly not arguing for ‘nuts and bolts’ UFOs and aliens).

If you want to know what Zoroaster's Angra Mainyu is up to in modern times, it would be a Vallee/Keel version of UFOs/Aliens. The owner of my favorite channeling forum is a hypnotherapist who got into exploring the subconscious via channeling after exploring it via 'alien abduction' hypnotherapy sessions.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Report This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I know, Sugah. And while I know stuff wears out, it's been difficult to take it in stride for me too. I'm not even 70 yet but I've noticed a decline in energy...

Have to admire the way you are coping.

I would suggest, though, that your physical weariness is actually emotional. Being buggerised around on a daily basis the way you are subjected to is more than enough to sap anyone's energy.

quote:
Made a pot of beef stew and one of split pea soup last week. Trying to get up the energy to make a pot of meatball and veggie soup - one of my favs.

Wish I could share your enthusiasm. Even all my biggest favourites are now tasteless.

One thing, though. A gallon of my goon wine costs less than I used to pay for a bottle of the real stuff.

quote:
But I've got 2 loads of laundry begging to be taken care of first and I've yet to talk myself into it.

I can go one better than that, mate.

Takes me more than a fortnight to get around to switching on the washing machine, another two weeks to get it out and put it on the line, another two weeks to bring it all back in.

Now the weather is warming up it will be easier, as my daily clothing amounts to no more than a part of shorts and underpants.

Ah well.

quote:
Some days it's all I can do to feed Miz Baby, plus the 9 ferals, and myself, twice a day.

Brightest spot in my day is feeding the birds. Now have a kookaburra happy enough to eat at the table.

Take a Skinnerian delight in the lorikeets. Impossible for me to differentiate, however am convinced the meat-eaters are the table-hoggers. Those eating on the ground a few feet away from me, scrunched up nose to tail, eat away quietly, while the table-hoggers are always looking for a fight. So long as I keep a finger stretched out over them they are quiet. Soon as I put my arm down, they start to squabble. Little buggers know exactly what is going on. The fighters freeze, focussing on my pointing finger, some even taking a nibble on my finger. The rest eat on, ignoring me, even walking around under my arm.

Couple of my young rellies cleaned out my garden beds which have been choked with weeds. Be interesting to see what use I can make of them now.
quote:
So don't feel so all alone, ok. It gets tuff sometimes for all of us.

Reminds me of something I had long forgotten. Someone once cursed me to eternal loneliness. Didn't bother me then or now. They had no idea of the difference between being lonely and being alone.

Been a loner all my life, counting no more than five years or so when I was content with the group of people I was with. First, of course, was with my Ynys Afallon soulmate and her uni friends, then when I was at uni myself as a mature-age student. Never forgotten my first tutorial. We were asked to come up front, write our names on the blackboard, then introduce ourselves. My hand was shaking, so wrote my name in huge letters. When I sat down and looked at the board, my name was two or three times bigger than anyone else's.

Ouch.

It was the young women who took the piss, but wasn't long before we all developed a close relationship.

Great years, all of them.

In hindsight, I wonder if I might have done better sticking with uni instead of moving out of town to get my first job as a reporter.

Could have gone either way. Succeeded in journalism, and it is only what I know now which makes me wonder what might have happened had I stuck at uni.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have to admire the way you are coping.

I would suggest, though, that your physical weariness is actually emotional. Being buggerised around on a daily basis the way you are subjected to is more than enough to sap anyone's energy.

Yeah, maybe a little, but my worst problem is my back. The rest would be easy except for that.

Very difficult for a very self-sufficient li'l ol' me to accept that I no longer am... I mean, I've spent most of my life waking up, kicking my own butt into gear, then spent the rest of the day kicking everyone else's into gear. But the back is not only an almost continual annoying pain, it doesn't allow me to do for myself what I need to do, never mind what I want to do. So yeah, it's a little depressing.

quote:
Wish I could share your enthusiasm. Even all my biggest favourites are now tasteless.

Funny that, when my Mom first showed signs of Alzheimer's, we noticed that she was no longer cooking for herself. Said she wasn't hungry. None of us believed that because whenever we would cook for her or take her out, she would eat like a little pig. The other thing we noticed was that she most liked the things she wasn't accustomed to. THAT was the real deal.

Our normal fare growing up was fried chicken, beef pot roast, meatloaf, pork chops, fish, shrimp, greens, beans, squash, potatoes, salad, mac and cheese...etc, your average American stuff. Never had Italian, Chinese, Japanese, or Mexican dishes. THAT is what she likes now. Anything 'different' turns her taste buds on, or so it seems.

Good thing we girls have learned to cook very differently from what we had growing up with. And each of us have our own specialities. They all still rave about my Oyster Stew , especially one of my brothers. But lately it's been mostly soups since I rarely cook my usual fare anymore. I buy ready-made most of the time.

Even so, I still spend time with my Beautiful Cookbook series, of which I have all but the very first edition. The Series They are well worth the money if for nothing but the pictures, although the recipes aren't shabby either!

quote:
One thing, though. A gallon of my goon wine costs less than I used to pay for a bottle of the real stuff.

Haven't done a good bottle of wine in years. Kind of a waste on me at this point since I simply cannot drink an entire bottle, and I'm not so fond of it once it has sat open for a while. Don't have any drinking buddies near me anymore...

quote:
Takes me more than a fortnight to get around to switching on the washing machine, another two weeks to get it out and put it on the line, another two weeks to bring it all back in.

Now the weather is warming up it will be easier, as my daily clothing amounts to no more than a part of shorts and underpants.

Ah well.

If I did that, the laundry would sour in the washing machine. Doesn't take long - maybe a day or so (yeah, I forgot them a couple of times). Although it has taken me a couple of days to finally get them out of the dryer and folded.

quote:
Brightest spot in my day is feeding the birds. Now have a kookaburra happy enough to eat at the table.

Take a Skinnerian delight in the lorikeets. Impossible for me to differentiate, however am convinced the meat-eaters are the table-hoggers. Those eating on the ground a few feet away from me, scrunched up nose to tail, eat away quietly, while the table-hoggers are always looking for a fight. So long as I keep a finger stretched out over them they are quiet. Soon as I put my arm down, they start to squabble. Little buggers know exactly what is going on. The fighters freeze, focussing on my pointing finger, some even taking a nibble on my finger. The rest eat on, ignoring me, even walking around under my arm.

Love when you go on about your birds. Sounds like very nice quality time with nature. I'm sure it's nice for you to play big daddy to them as well. Wagging your finger and all... Love that they are comfortable, as well as bold enough, to nip your wagWink   ;)

I've started the ritual of pouring heavy whipping cream into hot water for the kitties now that the temps are getting colder. They need the extra fat and they love the warmth of it on cold mornings. Little boogers make such a lovely noise with all that lapping and occasional grumbling as another kitty tries to muscle in on the dish.

quote:
Couple of my young rellies cleaned out my garden beds which have been choked with weeds. Be interesting to see what use I can make of them now.

Really miss having my container garden in the backyard. But the mosquitoes have been so awful that even if my back were up to it, I'd have to spend most of my time clearing out the little vampires before I could spend so much as a minute taking care of the plants. Would be nice to have some homegrown tomatoes, beans, squash, bok choy...etc.

I'm a nutcase for raspberries and hope to have a few plants installed at the new house whenever I finally get to the place where I can move into it. Would also like to have a patch of asparagus. Love 'em. Sis wants me to pick out a couple of mini apple trees for the place as well. And I'd also like to have an apricot tree. That's in addition to this little get-up we plan to have installed for veggies:
Garden in a Box Can hardly wait some days.

quote:
Reminds me of something I had long forgotten. Someone once cursed me to eternal loneliness. Didn't bother me then or now. They had no idea of the difference between being lonely and being alone.

Having grown up in a large family where being alone was quite out of the question, and then having roommates until well into my 30s, and working most of my career in a confined area with anywhere from 80 to 120 people, finally being alone is quite pleasant. I don't get lonely either, just enjoy being alone and away from other people's drama.

quote:
Could have gone either way. Succeeded in journalism, and it is only what I know now which makes me wonder what might have happened had I stuck at uni.

Hmmm, I tend not to look back and wonder what might have been. Just try to make the best of what has been and apply what I've learned to the present and future.

Do I have regrets? Yeah, but I don't dwell on it. Waste of time since one can never go back...

Just know that you are a good ol' soul and have made the world a better place by being here and applying and sharing what you've learned. It's all good...eventually.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
First thing I thought about the laundry, too, was SOUR!

Posts: 10865 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:

When I forgot them and realized (I could smell them in the kitchen) they had soured, I went straight to the internet and found the fix: Run a rinse cycle with a cup of white vinegar tossed in. Works like a charm!

Don't know if that would work on them after 2 whole weeks though...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When I forgot them and realized (I could smell them in the kitchen) they had soured, I went straight to the internet and found the fix: Run a rinse cycle with a cup of white vinegar tossed in. Works like a charm!

Don't know if that would work on them after 2 whole weeks though...

Yep I found a 2 step process just before my SIL needed it. Hers included left over soap I think because even the dry towels weren’t fresh. The very hot water with vinegar worked without the second step which I believe was baking soda to neutralize the vinegar.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep I found a 2 step process just before my SIL needed it. Hers included left over soap I think because even the dry towels weren’t fresh. The very hot water with vinegar worked without the second step which I believe was baking soda to neutralize the vinegar.

Yeah, the vinegar smell completely dissipates in the dryer. No second step required.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, the vinegar smell completely dissipates in the dryer. No second step required.

The final rinse did it for her. She may have rewatched them too. I quite folding them and gave her the basket back. She thought I was exaggerating until she got farther down in the basket.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I did that, the laundry would sour in the washing machine. Doesn't take long - maybe a day or so (yeah, I forgot them a couple of times). Although it has taken me a couple of days to finally get them out of the dryer and folded.
quote:

Given my total lack of sense of smell, that would have been the least of my worries.

Relax, ladies. I was well aware of this, and put it through another complete cycle before hanging it out.

Then it would be in the fresh air for days before being used again.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Relax, ladies. I was well aware of this, and put it through another complete cycle before hanging it out.

You're a good boy no matter what they say about you Wink   ;)

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
About to put me to bed for the night, but yeah, from what I understand from a little research on NDEs, many who are "religious" become less so - but considerably "more spiritual" because they get a taste of the "oneness" of the universe.
Not a bad place to be.

That, for me, is the key.

Even with my all-too-minor ASCs that sense of Oneness has become an integral part of my life.

Never bothered too much about insects unless they became a real nuisance. Now I have almost a Buddhist approach to them.

Had an invasion of ants a couple of weeks ago. The little buggers were even getting into my bed and nipping me. So I poisoned them.

Couple of days later they had all gone.

So I spent a long time visualising those ants taking the poison back to their nest, killing all their mates, their Royal Queen included.

Took me a while to accept that all I had done was repel an invasion, so my warring tactics were acceptable.

More or less, anyway.

I imagine we all talk to machines, especially our cars for us blokes.

Now those conversations are truly personal.

I "know" my V8 Fairlane understands why I am unable to do the sensible thing and trade him in for a far smaller car more suitable to my needs, especially since my limited weekly travel translates into 14 miles per gallon.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a fabulous video without all the 'fantastic stories' of individual experiences, simply the conclusions reached from expansive studies of all that had been written concerning NDEs.
What struck a chord with me was the overall notion of what 'God' is, and what 'heaven' is - since it pretty much affirmed what my contemplations on the subject had already essentially determined, but with a couple of surprises that also make a good bit of sense to me.

Do tell; what sort of surprises?

quote:
What started me down that path was personal contemplation of 1 Corinthians 15:28 ...then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all. The part in bold was the subject of my contemplation. That was when it was revealed that all things 'seen and unseen' exists within God. It was also when I determined that 'heaven is not a place'...it is a dimension or realm - or another state of 'being' that exists alongside our concept of space and time.
I'm going to keep searching for that video because I believe you would greatly appreciate it. I don't ever recall concerning myself with 'death' but after I had my first 'encounter' I have had no fear of it at all. Not to mention that I never fully bought into the concept that either Jews or Christians teach as the 'Biblical' concept of 'God'. But then, both tend to take the words literally. Yet I can also see why a limited vocabulary would have confined the description of God in those terms.

For me, until we really understand our human brains, and the full meaning of our DNA, we are floundering around in the dark.

One thing I learned years ago was our brains do not like not-knowing. We all have experienced it when our brain makes up its mind about something then closer inspection proves it wrong. Walk through a crowded street then think "oh, there's so-and-so". then get up close and there is no resemblance at all.

T'other day, looking out the window, I saw a new bird. Watched it for a while trying to identify it. Then walked out.

It was a tiny leafy branch dangling in the air.

Same goes with clouds. How often does one "see" a face, or an animal, in a cloud?

So imagine a shaman in an entheogen trace "seeing" what looks like a large feline.

If they live in China their brain will see a tiger; if in Mesoamerica, it is a jaguar.

When I get my mind back in focus I will be responding to bluelamp's link:

If you have not read it, I can add my recommendation to that of bluelamp.

Often wonder just how much impact the likes of Hancock and so many others have had on the way I now think. When re-reading their books, I see concepts I thought were my own Doh!   :doh:

The Blessed Wallace Greenslade was correct: It's all in the mind, you know.

(That was Greenslade's closing line on the Goon Show back in the 1950s. Interesting to see how often it has been copied.)

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You're a good boy no matter what they say about you Wink   ;)

I was thinking it would be nice to not have the humidity that would cause clothes to sour in a few days!

With the birds I can’t imagine hanging out a wash!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
When re-reading their books, I see concepts I thought were my own

Perhaps because they are universal truths?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do tell; what sort of surprises?

Reincarnation...for those who want to.

Several levels of 'heaven'...assignment depending on level of spiritual maturity. But one can move amongst them on a temporary basis.

Judgement...we judge ourselves.

Everything is speeded up...and yet time isn't relevant.

quote:
When I get my mind back in focus I will be responding to bluelamp's link:

If you have not read it, I can add my recommendation to that of bluelamp.

Soon as I can manage to focus on it.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking it would be nice to not have the humidity that would cause clothes to sour in a few days!

With the birds I can’t imagine hanging out a wash!

Yep, humidity is a booger.

Had a clothesline out back when I first moved here. Oh how wonderful, I thought!

Hung out the sheets exactly once...and then took down the clothesline. And re-washed the sheets, of course.