Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Just for you, Allan:
https://hermeneutics.stackexch...of-deuteronomy-328-9

No doubt about you, JR. If anyone can cost me a few hours sleep it is you Smile-Big   :D

You would, of course, expect me to see the MT version as straight politics.

The other versions took me back to the movement into the region by the Indo-Europeans from the steppes.

They called themselves Aryans which, in their language, meant Nobles.

That would, broadly, have been about the time of the first Hebrews, so maybe bluelamp's Mitanni before the move into Persia?

I'd suggest these Indo-Europeans were taller than the indigenous people, making them Giants of Men. In addition, they would have introduced the first large horse breeds, making them even bigger and, possibly, leading to the term Centaurs.

Now we have these taller, stronger, possibly more advanced people, so it is not hard to imagine what these Sons of Nobles got up to.

More likely than any asexual flirtatious angels, one might suppose.

One of these bloody days some geek is going to devise a program which will bring together in one language all the different mythologies of our world.

How many gods and demi-gods do you know were brought up in a cave (or "stable")? Chabad.org insists Abram was. So, too, was Zeus: Adrasteia and Ida were Nymphs and daughters of the Cretan king, who cared for Zeus in a cave when he was a baby. http://www.mazzaroth.com/Chapt...fAnnunaki-Anakim.htm

Then we have the suggestion the Hebrew Anakim and Nephilim are related to the Sumerian Annunaki, and we know what Zecharian Sitchin made of that little lot.

http://www.mazzaroth.com/Chapt...fAnnunaki-Anakim.htm

How many cultures see the Pleiades as important, and why?

Now you've got me started again, let's see where this leads.

Did you access this link? #4 has interesting assessments:
https://hermeneutics.stackexch...62?noredirect=1&lq=1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1606 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Just for you, Allan:
https://hermeneutics.stackexch...of-deuteronomy-328-9

No doubt about you, JR. If anyone can cost me a few hours sleep it is you Smile-Big   :D

You're welcomed. I know how you like to be stimulated Smile-Big   :D

quote:
You would, of course, expect me to see the MT version as straight politics.

The other versions took me back to the movement into the region by the Indo-Europeans from the steppes.

They called themselves Aryans which, in their language, meant Nobles.

That would, broadly, have been about the time of the first Hebrews, so maybe bluelamp's Mitanni before the move into Persia?

I'd suggest these Indo-Europeans were taller than the indigenous people, making them Giants of Men. In addition, they would have introduced the first large horse breeds, making them even bigger and, possibly, leading to the term Centaurs.

Now we have these taller, stronger, possibly more advanced people, so it is not hard to imagine what these Sons of Nobles got up to.

More likely than any asexual flirtatious angels, one might suppose.

Most certainly oral traditions were passed down, and different cultures, as they encountered each other, mixed and mingled their oral traditions. Of that I have no doubt.

Dunno how specific traditions came to be part of the Bible, but for those who don't take every word as literal nor historical, it can have several different meanings. IOW, I don't always take the word "angel" to mean a heavenly being because it most certainly can apply to earthly beings since it means "messenger." Ergo, "angel of the Lord" can simply mean "preacher" or "prophet."

And this will jerk a few heads up and cocked, but the original meaning of the word "Lord" may well have applied to the earthly "son of God", i.e., the human representative of the heavenly being. In Jerusalem, that would have meant the King, who sat on the throne of the Lord, and the Priest, who wore the Name, engraved on a gold plate, on his forehead. So when we read "Thus says the Lord," it could well have been a prophet relaying the words of a king or priest.

quote:
One of these bloody days some geek is going to devise a program which will bring together in one language all the different mythologies of our world.

You know how that works; when enough people are interested, someone will consider it a worthwhile project, necessity being the mother of invention and all...

quote:
How many gods and demi-gods do you know were brought up in a cave (or "stable")? Chabad.org insists Abram was. So, too, was Zeus: Adrasteia and Ida were Nymphs and daughters of the Cretan king, who cared for Zeus in a cave when he was a baby. http://www.mazzaroth.com/Chapt...fAnnunaki-Anakim.htm

Then we have the suggestion the Hebrew Anakim and Nephilim are related to the Sumerian Annunaki, and we know what Zecharian Sitchin made of that little lot.

http://www.mazzaroth.com/Chapt...fAnnunaki-Anakim.htm

How many cultures see the Pleiades as important, and why?

I'm sure you know considerably more about other gods and religions than I do. But I most certainly miss my discussions about mazzaroth with SIA. She had given it plenty of study. I bought several books on the subject, but baby sis has packed them all away and out of my reach. Until I move and make them available to myself again...

quote:
Now you've got me started again, let's see where this leads.

Did you access this link? #4 has interesting assessments:
https://hermeneutics.stackexch...62?noredirect=1&lq=1

I saved that site to my bookmarks for later visitation - when I have considerably more time. Got way too many irons in the fire at the moment.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4309 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
We are about to be blown away or so it seems! High wind warnings and truck travel bans on certain roads top the news channels.

I wonder if one were to read some of the bans and consequences devoid of the knowledge of the date or area they were experienced what our future generations might think of our lives and perhaps religions.

Posts: 5225 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
We are about to be blown away or so it seems! High wind warnings and truck travel bans on certain roads top the news channels.

Yikes! You take care.

quote:
I wonder if one were to read some of the bans and consequences devoid of the knowledge of the date or area they were experienced what our future generations might think of our lives and perhaps religions.

Good point.

As certain types of knowledge increase, others tend to take a back seat. In another 500 years or so, I expect that the best of many religions will have merged, and the beginnings of most of them will have been lost in the process. That seems to be the way it goes...

Posts: 4309 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Just heard from Steve. He says their temps just dropped like a rock and rain is expected.

Mary Jean's area is already in the 30s and they're expecting snow today.

Our temps are dropping from the overnight 50s down to the 30s by tomorrow morning. Our winds just kicked up too.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yikes! You take care.

quote:

Good point.

As certain types of knowledge increase, others tend to take a back seat. In another 500 years or so, I expect that the best of many religions will have merged, and the beginnings of most of them will have been lost in the process. That seems to be the way it goes...

Last night it sounded like the siding and shutters would blow off the house! Problem is that it’s brick!

Fortunately the wind chill numbers aren’t being broadcast which I interpret as not meaningful in this case.

Posts: 5225 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Reed, please reach out and touch Bryan. He's concerned about you...

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, will so

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:

My email is swamped with junk, so if I seem out of touch please forgive me.

Apart from everything else, my news programs give me an idea of what is going on, so I am daily concerned about how you are all coping.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apart from everything else, my news programs give me an idea of what is going on, so I am daily concerned about how you are all coping.

Little wintery weather is kicking up across the country. We, in the South, are drying out for a couple of days before the next rain arrives for the weekend.

Talked to Steve today and he is doing well. Sounds good. But then, I always just love to hear his voice.

Got an email from Mary Jean and she is anxious to get moved in with her youngest daughter early next month. She's really looking forward to having access to more of her "stuff" once she gets moved in.

Bryan seems a little depressed to me, but he has been complaining of low energy for a while now.

I've got a cardiology appointment tomorrow. So we'll see if he's gonna let me have all my teeth pulled at once... Me? I prefer done once and done!

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
It's a go!

5 Mar is the big day. Whew!

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a go!

5 Mar is the big day. Whew!

Glad to hear that, I think! May I wish you a speedy recovery, too.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Allan,

What is the Montessori solution to a child fascinated with light switches? And of course, the fact that a light goes on? And, in some cases off when you most need it!

Repeated all cones or time outs seemto work almost as well as training a puppy who has the same attention span.

For the lamps I turned most of them off at the lamp, so the switch had no effect. Unscrewing overhead lights was not an easy solution though. I thought about wasabi on the switch if I could guarantee the fingers would go in his mouth rather than his eyes. And yes, the puppy loved Wasabi so the comparison fails there too!

Timeouts seemed to not be cognitively connectedto the cause. And personally I wondered how they worked at all in a house full of people.

Just wondering if there is something else you found that worked. His attention span is short, but that’s for each switch so that even with only four rooms there was enough of a difference to find each one new again.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Let there be light!

Posts: 9022 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Let there be light!

Pretty much, except when you are cooking in the kitchen, in the evening, let it be dark isn’t so much fun!

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Yeah, avoid turning to the dark side...

Posts: 9022 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Now I need a way to print the sound earth Vader makes!

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
yeah, that guy's respirator is kind of noisy, isn't it.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the Montessori solution to a child fascinated with light switches? And of course, the fact that a light goes on? And, in some cases off when you most need it!

Got me stuffed.

That's one where I'd need to be on site.

What's he like to talk with in-depth (for his age)?

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Got me stuffed.

That's one where I'd need to be on site.

What's he like to talk with in-depth (for his age)?

He is 2.5 and I didn’t find him talking about much other than lights all the while he kept clicking them on and off. He could stop for a short time but no one managed to distract him for long. Since I’d just met him I was afraid to just pick him up to contain him, not on the first meeting. He did sit still for his dad to read a story that was a bit too long for his attention span, and his sisters. And yes, apparently at home he has taught her to turn the lights on and off. She’s 1.5. He was put in timeout once, but he wasn’t isolated since the house isn’t child proof.

Their father says they are just getting back to where they were developmentally, since they spent a month in foster care. The social workers and doctors say they are behind developmentally.