Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Oh, is that the terrible two's or something? How delightful. Smile   :)

Posts: 9022 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Oh, is that the terrible two's or something? How delightful. Smile   :)

Well isn’t saying No to everything, or throwing a fit when you say no, so although I thought about it there is nothing terrible about his behavior other than it cannot be interrupted.

Posts: 5225 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Most certainly oral traditions were passed down, and different cultures, as they encountered each other, mixed and mingled their oral traditions. Of that I have no doubt.
Dunno how specific traditions came to be part of the Bible, but for those who don't take every word as literal nor historical, it can have several different meanings. IOW, I don't always take the word "angel" to mean a heavenly being because it most certainly can apply to earthly beings since it means "messenger." Ergo, "angel of the Lord" can simply mean "preacher" or "prophet."
And this will jerk a few heads up and cocked, but the original meaning of the word "Lord" may well have applied to the earthly "son of God", i.e., the human representative of the heavenly being. In Jerusalem, that would have meant the King, who sat on the throne of the Lord, and the Priest, who wore the Name, engraved on a gold plate, on his forehead. So when we read "Thus says the Lord," it could well have been a prophet relaying the words of a king or priest.

As I said to Reed, I can't absorb the amount of detail in The White Goddess, however it does reinforce my simplesness*.

Not hard to imagine, tens of thousands of years ago, some bright spark noticing that the cold weather arrived soon after a particular tree leaf started to change colour.

Right, we'd better pay attention to that type of tree because it obviously is giving us a warning.

Then another bright spark notices, towards the end of winter, that another tree is first to recover, first to start sprouting leavers.

OK, here's another tree we need to pay close attention.

Then, over some long hot nights around the campfire, the competition begins: who can be first to attribute some sort of message to different trees?

Someone then has to bring in the birds. Note that when that bird-type gets together and heads off in that direction, we're in for a lot of cold weather.

Yeah, but when that other bird arrives during the cold, it is not long before the weather warms up.

Oh, and what about all those lights in the sky? Can they tell us anything?

Sure can.

When I want to go to the hills where all that fruit grows, all I have to do is head towards that group of sparks which looks like, what, a crab?

Yeah, and when I want a feed of meat I follow that bunch of sparks which always reminds of those big black beasts with pointy things on their heads which you don't wanna be hit by. Good tucker but.

And so it goes.

Then the religion and politics get into the act, especially some 6000 or so years ago, after we had begun farming and were now building towns with new rules about private ownership.

*Just in case you think that's a typo, it ain't.

It comes from the high-status immensely rich plutocratic Russian Aleksandr Orlov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt4sMeayfYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PogZWsdnKg8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1606 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Well isn’t saying No to everything, or throwing a fit when you say no, so although I thought about it there is nothing terrible about his behavior other than it cannot be interrupted.

Has anyone yet worked out something else which could take his interest?

Even at that age, one of the attributes of Montessori is all the bits and pieces which can keep children rewardingly involved for long stretches of time.

No idea what costs are like over these, however it would be worth their while to see if there are any schools there. My grandchildren were still crawling when they began, far different from their parents, who had to be toilet trained.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

Has anyone yet worked out something else which could take his interest?

Even at that age, one of the attributes of Montessori is all the bits and pieces which can keep children rewardingly involved for long stretches of time.

No idea what costs are like over these, however it would be worth their while to see if there are any schools there. My grandchildren were still crawling when they began, far different from their parents, who had to be toilet trained.

He is working on finding day care now. Some are quite good at engaging kids. My brothers ex worked at how but her bachelors training was in early child development so her kids were in care 3 days a week. She started her search at least two years early. Both of her children are doing extremely well.

Unfortunately I didn’t see anything that kept him focused for forty long. I was thinking more that he might be more artistic than he’d been encouraged to be. Cleaning up toys he stayed focused on longer than I suspected. His sister was easier to distract with games. I was patting her leg and when I stopped with my hand up, she pushed it back down. Later I was patting with both hands alternating and other variations. She continued o push the hand that was up and giggle. M told she is more able to sit on anyone’s lap, for hours! She apparently tries to follow directions better too. Another reason I was looking for a way that one might engage her older brother. AFAIK she is the only one born with drugs in her symptoms.

Posts: 5225 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking more that he might be more artistic than he’d been encouraged to be. Cleaning up toys he stayed focused on longer than I suspected.

Could be well worth following up. Does he have paints and brushes? Plasticine, even?

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I was thinking more that he might be more artistic than he’d been encouraged to be. Cleaning up toys he stayed focused on longer than I suspected.

Could be well worth following up. Does he have paints and brushes? Plasticine, even?

No clue. I’ll ask though. I can’t imagine one of his current care takers wanting actual paints inher home. I did hear about his finish honey and spreading it all over the floor there. His father got to witness eggs becoming balls that should be thrown, just like most toys.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Most certainly oral traditions were passed down, and different cultures, as they encountered each other, mixed and mingled their oral traditions. Of that I have no doubt.
Dunno how specific traditions came to be part of the Bible, but for those who don't take every word as literal nor historical, it can have several different meanings. IOW, I don't always take the word "angel" to mean a heavenly being because it most certainly can apply to earthly beings since it means "messenger." Ergo, "angel of the Lord" can simply mean "preacher" or "prophet."
And this will jerk a few heads up and cocked, but the original meaning of the word "Lord" may well have applied to the earthly "son of God", i.e., the human representative of the heavenly being. In Jerusalem, that would have meant the King, who sat on the throne of the Lord, and the Priest, who wore the Name, engraved on a gold plate, on his forehead. So when we read "Thus says the Lord," it could well have been a prophet relaying the words of a king or priest.

As I said to Reed, I can't absorb the amount of detail in The White Goddess, however it does reinforce my simplesness*.

Not hard to imagine, tens of thousands of years ago, some bright spark noticing that the cold weather arrived soon after a particular tree leaf started to change colour.

Right, we'd better pay attention to that type of tree because it obviously is giving us a warning.

Then another bright spark notices, towards the end of winter, that another tree is first to recover, first to start sprouting leavers....

Sure can.

And so it goes.

Then the religion and politics get into the act, especially some 6000 or so years ago, after we had begun farming and were now building towns with new rules about private ownership.

Are you trying to tell me how you got from A to D or is there a particular message in here somewhere that my befuddled brain isn't picking up?

Kinda been in a stupor the last couple of days because Baby has been presented with an allergy and is driving me crazy with her constant licking. In fact, she has licked almost 3/4 of her fur off from her ribs to her back knees!

I keep flea meds on her but got some of those Nitenpyram pills to dose her with, just in case, and still it continues. Keeping me awake. Making me crazy. Really don't want to have to do an elimination diet on her because she is already such a picky eater. SHEESH!

Today it has been pouring cats and dogs, so Miz Baby has been going from front to back door looking to be let out. Soon as she sees it pouring at one, she runs to the other. Can't she hear it pounding on the roof?!?!?!?!

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4309 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then another bright spark notices, towards the end of winter, that another tree is first to recover, first to start sprouting leavers....

Sure can.

And so it goes.

Are you trying to tell me how you got from A to D or is there a particular message in here somewhere that my befuddled brain isn't picking up?

Kinda been in a stupor the last couple of days because Baby has been presented with an allergy and is driving me crazy with her constant licking. In fact, she has licked almost 3/4 of her fur off from her ribs to her back knees!

I keep flea meds on her but got some of those Nitenpyram pills to dose her with, just in case, and still it continues. Keeping me awake. Making me crazy. Really don't want to have to do an elimination diet on her because she is already such a picky eater. SHEESH!

Today it has been pouring cats and dogs, so Miz Baby has been going from front to back door looking to be let out. Soon as she sees it pouring at one, she runs to the other. Can't she hear it pounding on the roof?!?!?!?!

Have you considered a spaying cone? The licking could be making it worse, of course! Can you bathe her. That helped my Persian, at times, but he was already trained for that and still hated it. The training was to stay still.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you considered a spaying cone? The licking could be making it worse, of course! Can you bathe her. That helped my Persian, at times, but he was already trained for that and still hated it. The training was to stay still.

It's certainly something to consider. It's just that she is so spoiled that she whines or throws royal fits if she is the least bit displeased. I cannot sleep through any of that!

I have never bathed her because she has always been so clean. Guess I could try, but right now my back is not up to that task.

I have put coconut oil on some of the naked spots to kill off any mites that might be present. She loves the stuff and licks it off immediately. Then goes for any that is left on my fingers!

Gotta find something that will work before I go stark raving mad!!!

Posts: 4309 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's certainly something to consider. It's just that she is so spoiled that she whines or throws royal fits if she is the least bit displeased. I cannot sleep through any of that!

I have never bathed her because she has always been so clean. Guess I could try, but right now my back is not up to that task.

I have put coconut oil on some of the naked spots to kill off any mites that might be present. She loves the stuff and licks it off immediately. Then goes for any that is left on my fingers!

Gotta find something that will work before I go stark raving mad!!!

Yep, we need you sane! My Persian had been a show cat, he hated dryers though! The sound that is. There is a paste for fur balls that is petroleum based that my cat loved, loved, loved. Can’t image that in your bed, but perhaps if the coconut could stay all over long enough if it’s mites, perhaps ...

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, we need you sane! My Persian had been a show cat, he hated dryers though! The sound that is. There is a paste for fur balls that is petroleum based that my cat loved, loved, loved. Can’t image that in your bed, but perhaps if the coconut could stay all over long enough if it’s mites, perhaps ...

My understanding is that oil will suffocate bugs of most any type in just a few seconds because they breathe through their skin. I've watched it work on fleas and gnats couple of times. I presume it will work on mites and chiggers as well.

Miz Baby doesn't like the paste, but will eat coconut oil by the teaspoon if I would let her! I do buy a Royal Canin furball control food that she does eat.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tell Miz she'd better get her act into gear or I'll come over and sort her out.

Just as well you have your teeth to keep you otherwise occupied.

The other bit comes from my need to dig deep into that simplesness to determine just how we got where we are.

I have no problem putting myself in the bare feet of our far-distant ancestors, seeing them as intelligent as we are but without anything like our knowledge. How did they arrive at their own conclusions on what they did not understand, earthquakes, storms, floods, droughts, disease and so on.

To paraphrase Todd Tremlin's Minds and Gods The Cognitive Foundations of Religion, they logically and reasonably hypothesised that since all they had and used, their tools, weapons, dilly bags, all their food, whatever clothing they wore, shelter they lived in, came to them through human agents, why shouldn't all else come from super-human agents?
https://global.oup.com/academi...05340?cc=au&lang=en&

And so we created our deities in our own images.

Robert Graves draws amazing comparisons between the mythologies of vastly different, separated, cultures. Far be it from me to imply he has his little digs at the Bible, however he does make comparisons which would certainly upset the posse.

Remember telling you about the autobiography of Waipuldanya (or Phillip Roberts), a full-blood Aboriginal man of the Alawa tribe at Roper River (Ngukurr) in the Northern Territory -- I, the Aboriginal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Waipuldanya_Roberts
Phillip Waipuldanya Roberts OBE (1922 – 24 November 1988) was a traditional doctor, activist and advisor to the Commonwealth Government of Australia on Aboriginal policies and programs. Just in case, the OBE is a British order of chivalry, rewarding contributions to the arts and sciences, work with charitable and welfare organisations, and public service outside the civil service. So he would have been Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE)

He was a remarkable bush mechanic (self-taught), and also was intelligent enough to be a trained medic using and developing his own X-rays because the tribes accepted him better than any whitefella doctor.

Even then, he reckoned we were on the wrong track when we said men had an impact on conception.

For him, and it wasn't all that long ago, when someone in the tribe died their spirit returned to their spirit tree or back to a little fish in a billabong, waiting for the right woman to appear so they could resurrect themselves.

So when did men first waken up to the role we play?

http://ijfs.padovauniversitypr...s/papers/17_2_04.pdf
In mythical eras, women dominated men, they treated them like slaves and forced them to carry out the most humble of work. In a secret ceremony called Hain, little girls were proclaimed women. Until men believed in them, they did whatever the women asked of them. One day, three courageous young men, associated with the Sun of the West, decided to spy on the women during the ceremony and wanted to learn the truth, therefore revealing their secret. The Sun understood that it was just a theatrical farce to make sure that the men were submissive and oppressed. The men got together and rebelled, killing all of the women, only saving little girls and throwing Kreeh, the Moon, into the fire.

Effed if I can find any real research on this turnaround, when it actually happened.

Once it did, gender came into everything. Those trees such as the Oak were male, the Willow female. Pretty sure Adonai's consort Asherah's sacred tree was the palm, though I need to confirm this.

That gives me a way into part of where I am coming from.

The Bible hides so much, including those trees (bloody poles, indeed). Abraham's tenebrinth tree is a form of oak, and that would have had symbiotic mushrooms, though I haven't yet found if Amanita muscaria is one. The Cedars of Lebanon certainly live with them.

Thus there is a whole heap of key information about our origins, some deliberately hidden, some changed radically because we forgot their original meaning, hence John Allegro's diabolical problems when he said we really do need to research all this, find out the connection between religion and entheogenic products such as the mushroom and ergot (which produced the Christian Devil hallucinations in the Middle Ages).

Off to feed the birds. Had a problem with the common pigeons which, after many years, discovered this free feed. Took a while to get rid of them, though one stubborn SOB ignores the water jet from my hose. Those two territorial meat-eating lorikeets still dominate my table, though there is now one Kookaburra which perches here and will eat out of my hand. The half-dozen crested pigeons come within a few feet of me.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you considered a spaying cone?

That sounds a tad harsh!

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That sounds a tad harsh!

LOL, try: Elizabethan collar.

I'll have to process your previous post a bit later. Have only 2 sips of coffee in me at this point...

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My understanding is that oil will suffocate bugs of most any type in just a few seconds because they breathe through their skin. I've watched it work on fleas and gnats couple of times. I presume it will work on mites and chiggers as well.

Miz Baby doesn't like the paste, but will eat coconut oil by the teaspoon if I would let her! I do buy a Royal Canin furball control food that she does eat.

Chiggers do die from nail polish or Vaseline. The first being a bit easier to deal wish.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That sounds a tad harsh!

Why?

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That sounds a tad harsh!

Why?

It is too late to matter now, but even with that I would not fancy being neutered.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That sounds a tad harsh!

Why?

It is too late to matter now, but even with that I would not fancy being neutered.

Ah, the cone is used after the spaying, not to do the procedure. It’s put around the critters neck so they don’t lick the stitches out.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, the cone is used after the spaying, not to do the procedure. It’s put around the critters neck so they don’t lick the stitches out.

Doubt they'd find one big enough for me, I'm afraid.