Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
      Page: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 22
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Part III
 Login/Register 
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Off to the dentist in the morning. May be a few days before I post again.

Hope all goes well, or went well if you’re back!

A bit more pain with the lowers than with the uppers, but the lowers had always been more sensitive. And the bottom denture doesn't fit at all. Have another appointment on Tuesday to see what can be done about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4068 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Off to the dentist in the morning. May be a few days before I post again.

Hope all goes well, or went well if you’re back!

A bit more pain with the lowers than with the uppers, but the lowers had always been more sensitive. And the bottom denture doesn't fit at all. Have another appointment on Tuesday to see what can be done about it.

Yuk! Can they not do anything right?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Oh, dear, I really should not be doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQfF84ackMM

And that's just one of the Jo Stafford numbers.

So many tears in my eyes I can't see the reject switch.

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1567 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I thought that was Connie Francis’ Song!

I do remember most of the songs from that era. I found a few others tat were from a bit later like impossible dream and Mariah. Makes me a bit too nostalgic too.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
JR and Reed, looks like I may owe you both big time.

It was you, JR, who suggested chiropractic for my stuffed head???

Albeit sceptically, my GP gave me a form which provides Federal funding and, along with laser treatment, my chiro has given me the first clear head in a bloody long time.

All I need now is to get my finger out of my arse and who knows what may happen.

Reed, if you saw my response to you an another thread you know you have put me on track to solving something which has bugged me for years.

Have not been happy with the concept of the eponymous Abraham coming from Ur in the south-east of Mesopotamia. The Bible itself indicates otherwise. Equally, the Hebrews were western, nor eastern Semites. He was closely associated with Harran in the north-west and, thanks to you, I think I have found what I have been looking for.

There is an archaeological ruin which has a similar name to Ur (Urfu?) in N-W Mesopotamia, and one of the sites I looked up while responding to your post linked up sweetly to what I have been reading on Hancock.

We've been conned big time :-D

Posts: 1567 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or Patsy Cline?

Been listening too to Ella and Satchmo.

Feel like a boy again.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

Or Patsy Cline?

Been listening too to Ella and Satchmo.

Feel like a boy again.

Probably. I first associated most with Connie Francis in a movie. I’m sure I’ve heard others too though.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
JR and Reed, looks like I may owe you both big time.

It was you, JR, who suggested chiropractic for my stuffed head???

Albeit sceptically, my GP gave me a form which provides Federal funding and, along with laser treatment, my chiro has given me the first clear head in a bloody long time.

Excellent news!

I recall the first time my chiropractor opened mine. OMG, what a relief!

Laser treatment suggests polyps, scar tissue, and/or chronic inflammation. So yeah, I imagine you feel far better after the treatment.

quote:
Reed, if you saw my response to you an another thread you know you have put me on track to solving something which has bugged me for years.

Have not been happy with the concept of the eponymous Abraham coming from Ur in the south-east of Mesopotamia. The Bible itself indicates otherwise. Equally, the Hebrews were western, nor eastern Semites. He was closely associated with Harran in the north-west and, thanks to you, I think I have found what I have been looking for.

There is an archaeological ruin which has a similar name to Ur (Urfu?) in N-W Mesopotamia, and one of the sites I looked up while responding to your post linked up sweetly to what I have been reading on Hancock.

We've been conned big time :-D

Wish I had the energy, drive, and inclination to do my normal research, especially on this subject. But it just ain't in me while I'm going through all this oral aggravation. Having a difficult time even focusing on my crochet work. Really be glad when this venture is over.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Jr,

Never imagined you would be at this so long, it seems like it started last Sept.

Hoping you start your final healing soon.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jr,

Never imagined you would be at this so long, it seems like it started last Sept.

Nah, I may have started looking for a dentist last September, but I didn't settle on the dentist, price, and process until March of this year.

I did expect to have ALL of them pulled at the same time, and that is where things started falling apart. Problem is, I have extra sensitive teeth - and part of that problem may be that I have extra roots in some of my teeth. They can only give you so much anesthesia at one time, and it takes a lot for me...otherwise my BP shoots through the roof.

But yeah, I'm getting real tired of it - and then some.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Jr,

Nah, I may have started looking for a dentist last September, but I didn't settle on the dentist, price, and process until March of this year.

I did expect to have ALL of them pulled at the same time, and that is where things started falling apart. Problem is, I have extra sensitive teeth - and part of that problem may be that I have extra roots in some of my teeth. They can only give you so much anesthesia at one time, and it takes a lot for me...otherwise my BP shoots through the roof.

But yeah, I'm getting real tired of it - and then some.

Had a root canal oversea where she was having trouble with last root, I told her she needed to either finish up or find the novacaine. She said she’d never seen a patient that knew the novacaine was wearing off before it hurt!

Hubby had two surgeries for bypass because of anesthetic being too long.

How did the fitting go?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did the fitting go?

He adjusted both the uppers and lowers for me. The uppers are finally feeling more natural. But I'm still at least a week (or 2) away from having the bone fragments removed.

The lowers - I probably shouldn't be discussing them just yet because I'm still way too annoyed that they didn't anticipate I would have much the same problem with them as I had with the uppers; my gums are short and the dentures are too deep.

When they remove your teeth they put the dentures in and place gauze pads between the uppers and lowers and tell you to "bite down" in order to increase the pressure to stop the bleeding. If the dentures are too deep, they dig into your gums where they connect to the inside of your cheek. And in doing that before the anesthesia wore off, the dentures cut into the tender flesh where the gums met the cheek.

Well, my gums were numb for about 3 1/2 hours after I left the dentist's office. All the while, I'm biting down on the gauze. So yeah, I cut deep into the already tender flesh at the bottom of my gums, especially on the front side across the lower front 4, and on the inside edge of the 2 spaces behind them and under my tongue.

I took them out as soon as the diminishing anesthesia revealed the pain and I still haven't been able to wear them. They had me "place" them on the gums so they could see about how much "gum" to remove from them, but my natural gums are still too sore for me to wear them. Won't be able to do that until the cuts heal.

I ain't a happy camper, to say the least. And I'm sure they'll have to be adjusted at least once more before I can wear them consistently.

This is becoming tiresome.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ye gods, how can any professional be so incompetent? Tell those furquits to get their act into gear, because I need you urgently.

Quite some time back I was debating Noah's Flood with a non-believer. Told him I had five possible origins or reinforcements of that legend; the inundation of low-lying land at the end of the Ice Age, the Mediterranean breakthrough to and flooding of the inhabited then-fresh-water Black Sea, Woolley's evidence of a massive flood in the Tigris/Euphrates, a possible tsunami from the Burckle meteor strike...

and..

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/articles/z8b987h
Movements in the Earth’s crust (the outside layer) might have caused the Indus river to flood and change its direction. The main cities were closely linked to the river, so changes in the river flow would have had a terrible effect on them. Repeated flooding may have led to a build-up of salt in the soil, making it hard to grow crops.

Synchronicity Rules OK

That fitted sweetly into what I had been thinking about the Indo-Europeans/Aryans/Nobles who created both Persia and the northern Indian civilisation.

Then I found there had indeed been trade between north-west India and Persia.

No doubt you and Reed have seen me wanting to know where the Jews originated?
That Brooklyn poster insisted there were NO Hebrews before Abraham.
Had to be an obvious cop-out. Why would any culture want to start 4000 years ago, when we have cultures today dating back at least 70,000 years?

You both have seen me harp on about the need to pay far more attention to the region in and around what is now Turkey?

So now we have three histories, all treated independently. The Hebrews from nowhere, the Sabians, Hittites, Hurrians from the Anatolia region, the Indo-Europeans who invaded or migrated into both north-west India and Persia from the Steppes.

Why not combine them?

http://www.hermetics.org/Abraham2.html
In Hindu mythology, Sarai-Svati is Brahm's (A-Brahm) sister. The bible gives two stories of Abraham. In this first version, Abraham told Pharaoh that he was lying when he introduced Sarai as his sister. In the second version, he also told the king of Gerar that Sarai was really his sister. However, when the king scolded him for lying, Abraham said that Sarai was in reality both his wife and his sister! "...and yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife." (Genesis 20:12.)
But the anomalies don't end here. In India, a tributary of the river Saraisvati is Ghaggar. Another tributary of the same river is Hakra. According to Jewish traditions, Hagar was Sarai's maidservant; the Moslems say she was an Egyptian princess. Notice the similarities of Ghaggar, Hakra and Hagar.

http://www.hermetics.org/Abraham2.html
The bible also states that Ishmael, son of Hagar, and his descendants lived in India. "...Ishmael breathed his last and died, and was gathered to his kin... They dwelt from Havilah (India*), by Shur, which is close to Egypt, all the way to Asshur." (Genesis 25:17-18.) It is an interesting fact that the names of Isaac and Ishmael are derive from Sanskrit: (Hebrew) Ishaak = (Sanskrit) Ishakhu = "Friend of Shiva." (Hebrew) Ishmael = (Sanskrit) Ish-Mahal = "Great Shiva."
...Indian historian Kuttikhat Purushothama Chon believes that Abraham was driven out of India. He states that the Aryans, unable to defeat the Asuras (The mercantile caste that once ruled in the Indus Valley or Harappans) spent so many years fighting covertly against the Asuras, such as destroying their huge system of irrigation lakes, causing destructive flooding, that Abraham and his kindred just gave up and marched to West Asia. (See Remedy the Frauds in Hinduism.) Therefore, besides being driven out of Northern India by floods, the Aryans also forced Indian merchants, artisans, and educated classes to flee to West Asia.

Simples, innit???

*Other sources indicate Havilah may be Zimbabwe, site of that famous Iron Age walled city which, if I've got it right, we know bugger-all about.. Doesn't bother me at all. In those very early days, people moved around all over the place, taking their stories with them and, often enough, amalgamating their stories with those of other cultures they met and mixed in with. The task is to find the origins of each story and follow it through its assorted combinations.

Remember I said the Centaurs may well have been the taller, horse-riding Indo-Europeans, who called themselves Nobles and must have had a major impact when they moved into farming regions where, from my readings, the people tended to be much lower in height. We have aspects of our Celtic culture which have stories which began somewhere in the eastern Mediterranean and were modified as the tribes migrated through Greece to Spain to Ireland. Add to these the stories of those Celts who originated in Switzerland then, too, worked their way to the north of Scotland.

Not quite Chinese Whispers, but along the same lines.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
How did the fitting go?

He adjusted both the uppers and lowers for me. The uppers are finally feeling more natural. But I'm still at least a week (or 2) away from having the bone fragments removed.

The lowers - I probably shouldn't be discussing them just yet because I'm still way too annoyed that they didn't anticipate I would have much the same problem with them as I had with the uppers; my gums are short and the dentures are too deep.

When they remove your teeth they put the dentures in and place gauze pads between the uppers and lowers and tell you to "bite down" in order to increase the pressure to stop the bleeding. If the dentures are too deep, they dig into your gums where they connect to the inside of your cheek. And in doing that before the anesthesia wore off, the dentures cut into the tender flesh where the gums met the cheek.

Well, my gums were numb for about 3 1/2 hours after I left the dentist's office. All the while, I'm biting down on the gauze. So yeah, I cut deep into the already tender flesh at the bottom of my gums, especially on the front side across the lower front 4, and on the inside edge of the 2 spaces behind them and under my tongue.

I took them out as soon as the diminishing anesthesia revealed the pain and I still haven't been able to wear them. They had me "place" them on the gums so they could see about how much "gum" to remove from them, but my natural gums are still too sore for me to wear them. Won't be able to do that until the cuts heal.

I ain't a happy camper, to say the least. And I'm sure they'll have to be adjusted at least once more before I can wear them consistently.

Ouch, I can feel your pain! I only got the cuts from a mold that was too big and they forced my ja down harder! It was a tech and the dr was furious with her!

I’m missing wisdom teet. The last teeth on the bottom are both gold because the caps are so short there isn’t any room for porcelain!

Just thinking about your mess makes my mouth hurt. I think I need a scotch!

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Allan, t sounds like you’ve got a few good leads.

I saw something recently that made me think about you and the 4000-5000 age. Wish I had written it down. It happened twice so I’m guessing it will come to me again. It was either a recent discovery, a learning about apes, or a explanation from the astronomers. Or, all three. I’ll do better since you are still chewing on this!

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ye gods, how can any professional be so incompetent? Tell those furquits to get their act into gear, because I need you urgently.

ACK! Have had difficulties with dentists all my life. Have only had a couple who were willing to work with a mouth that didn't fit the standard mold of what they normally deal with.

The first was the dentist who removed all my impacted molars; an old, soon to retire, dentist. Removed them one at a time, and by quartering them first, with a week in between. That was when I was in my early 20s.

The second was the one I ran to after a previous dentist yanked an overly sensitive tooth (left upper canine/cuspid). It had no cavity, but was so sensitive I could hardly open my mouth. He first did a root canal, but my face swelled to the point of almost closing my left eye. And it was still sensitive. So without any discussion, not even a moment's notice, he pulled it. And yeah, I went off on him, then informed him that I had no intention of paying for a procedure I hadn't been consulted on nor given an opportunity for a second opinion. I didn't pay - and he never sent a bill. Was in my mid 20s.

This new dentist was a Godsend and the one who found that I had extra nerves in almost half of my teeth. We figure that the tooth the previous dentist had pulled was one of those affected teeth. Anyway, we decided to replace it with a permanent bridge. Then, and this is the really good part, his dental hygienist documented for my record that I was mostly American Indian and had many of the oral issues found mostly in that ethnic group; extra bone on the upper palate and extra gum tissue and bone on the bottom jaw (also have extra bone on the top of the arch of my feet, but that's another story). Once that became part of my record, it was taken into consideration whenever decisions had to be made concerning my teeth.

Several years later, they noticed that the enamel of my teeth was starting to crack, even though we determined that I wasn't a "grinder." Once I told them that most of my family had started losing their teeth in their early 30s, and that my parents had dentures in their 40s/50s, we determined it was hereditary. So, although I had very few cavities, we decided to start doing root canals and crowns on the most sensitive of my teeth; which meant most of my back teeth. Late 30s.

When his mother died, he quit dentistry and took over his mother's jewelry store. Never found another top-notch dentist...

But by the time I was in my late 50s the teeth that had been crowned were continuing to deteriorate beneath the crowns - they were splitting down the dentine below the neck of the crown. I tried to find a dentist who would work with me, but all they could see was mega $$$ in the process of "continued restoration" that would include individual implants at about $1,000 to $3,000 for each tooth (depending on location) which my dental insurance would only pay 1/2, and only for 1 tooth per year. Oh, but in order to qualify for the implant procedure, each previously crowned tooth would need to have failed after it had been recrowned. At that pace I wouldn't likely have lived long enough to have a mouth full of completely restored teeth. So I was done with them and cancelled the insurance.

I wanted all of them pulled and full dentures on implants; one fix and done. So I started saving the money and looking for an agreeable dentist. This was the only one I could find that would agree to MY requirements without first going through a "qualifying" process of first crowning all my front teeth and attempting to recrown the deteriorating previously crowned teeth which was now going to come straight out of my pocket.

I'm sure that is more information than you ever wanted to know! Bottom line: After several months of searching, this is the only dentist that would agree to my terms and who provided a price quote that I could afford (but not without attempting to sell me a dental insurance policy that would have trapped me into the same lengthy money eating process of the previous insurance). So here we are...I accept that I am a problem patient, but certainly not without a whole lot of b itchin' about it!

Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Hindu mythology, Sarai-Svati is Brahm's (A-Brahm) sister... Doesn't bother me at all. In those very early days, people moved around all over the place, taking their stories with them and, often enough, amalgamating their stories with those of other cultures they met and mixed in with. The task is to find the origins of each story and follow it through its assorted combinations.

https://www.jatland.com/forums...ati-In-India-or-Iran

quote:
Many scholars believe that the Rigvedic verses and Zend Avesta refer to one river which has been written in Old Persian as Haravaiti and in Skt. Sarasvati. This surmise is supported by the changes governing rule governing change of Sanskrit S into H in Iranian as Skt. Sapta sindhu becomes Haptahindu as mentioned in Avesta as holy land created by Ahura Mazada. This linguistics similarity points to the times when Indo-Aryans and Indo Iranians lived together in ancient times.

I tend to think Zoroaster monotheism shared things with the Rigveda and it got passed along to Judaism.

Posts: 900 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quite some time back I was debating Noah's Flood with a non-believer. Told him I had five possible origins or reinforcements of that legend; the inundation of low-lying land at the end of the Ice Age, the Mediterranean breakthrough to and flooding of the inhabited then-fresh-water Black Sea, Woolley's evidence of a massive flood in the Tigris/Euphrates, a possible tsunami from the Burckle meteor strike...

and...

Yeah, I'll be glad when I can finally focus long enough to get back into some of this stuff.

While I don't believe we will ever have anything we will be able to call "hard evidence" we can pretty much deduce much from what we already have.

Ice caps melt - lands flood.

Earth plates move - continents, islands and bodies of water form.

People form families - families form communities.

Communities form cities - cities form states - states form countries.

People migrate - migration mingles culture.

quote:
Had to be an obvious cop-out. Why would any culture want to start 4000 years ago, when we have cultures today dating back at least 70,000 years?

You already know the answer to that question; they lost their beginnings when they turned their myths into history.

I'm over it. Eventually, I hope, the king's men will put humpty together again. Until then, we will have to wait for the archaeologists and historians to connect all the dots.

The current working bottom line for me is that the Hebrews are more likely a mixed cultural group that determined to segregate themselves into a single cultural group.

But I haven't carved it in stone.

My nap is calling me though, so I'll see ya later.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just thinking about your mess makes my mouth hurt. I think I need a scotch!

Soon as my gums close up, I'm having me one!

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

ACK! Have had difficulties with dentists all my life. Have only had a couple who were willing to work with a mouth that didn't fit the standard mold of what they normally deal with.

The first was the dentist who removed all my impacted molars; an old, soon to retire, dentist. Removed them one at a time, and by quartering them first, with a week in between. That was when I was in my early 20s.

The second was the one I ran to after a previous dentist yanked an overly sensitive tooth (left upper canine/cuspid). It had no cavity, but was so sensitive I could hardly open my mouth. He first did a root canal, but my face swelled to the point of almost closing my left eye. And it was still sensitive. So without any discussion, not even a moment's notice, he pulled it. And yeah, I went off on him, then informed him that I had no intention of paying for a procedure I hadn't been consulted on nor given an opportunity for a second opinion. I didn't pay - and he never sent a bill. Was in my mid 20s.

This new dentist was a Godsend and the one who found that I had extra nerves in almost half of my teeth. We figure that the tooth the previous dentist had pulled was one of those affected teeth. Anyway, we decided to replace it with a permanent bridge. Then, and this is the really good part, his dental hygienist documented for my record that I was mostly American Indian and had many of the oral issues found mostly in that ethnic group; extra bone on the upper palate and extra gum tissue and bone on the bottom jaw (also have extra bone on the top of the arch of my feet, but that's another story). Once that became part of my record, it was taken into consideration whenever decisions had to be made concerning my teeth.

Several years later, they noticed that the enamel of my teeth was starting to crack, even though we determined that I wasn't a "grinder." Once I told them that most of my family had started losing their teeth in their early 30s, and that my parents had dentures in their 40s/50s, we determined it was hereditary. So, although I had very few cavities, we decided to start doing root canals and crowns on the most sensitive of my teeth; which meant most of my back teeth. Late 30s.

When his mother died, he quit dentistry and took over his mother's jewelry store. Never found another top-notch dentist...

But by the time I was in my late 50s the teeth that had been crowned were continuing to deteriorate beneath the crowns - they were splitting down the dentine below the neck of the crown. I tried to find a dentist who would work with me, but all they could see was mega $$$ in the process of "continued restoration" that would include individual implants at about $1,000 to $3,000 for each tooth (depending on location) which my dental insurance would only pay 1/2, and only for 1 tooth per year. Oh, but in order to qualify for the implant procedure, each previously crowned tooth would need to have failed after it had been recrowned. At that pace I wouldn't likely have lived long enough to have a mouth full of completely restored teeth. So I was done with them and cancelled the insurance.

I wanted all of them pulled and full dentures on implants; one fix and done. So I started saving the money and looking for an agreeable dentist. This was the only one I could find that would agree to MY requirements without first going through a "qualifying" process of first crowning all my front teeth and attempting to recrown the deteriorating previously crowned teeth which was now going to come straight out of my pocket.

I'm sure that is more information than you ever wanted to know! Bottom line: After several months of searching, this is the only dentist that would agree to my terms and who provided a price quote that I could afford (but not without attempting to sell me a dental insurance policy that would have trapped me into the same lengthy money eating process of the previous insurance). So here we are...I accept that I am a problem patient, but certainly not without a whole lot of b itchin' about it!

Geez. I thought I had trouble with endrodontist! The last one kept saying there’s got to be another nerve hiding. He made them bring in the microscope did a bit more digging and found it. Wish I’d had him previously. One tooth had 3 root canals before the implant because of an infection. The tooth remained sensitive at times for 20 years!

If this one retires I’m going to move in with him!