Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub and Coffee Shop Part IV
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Mob's Pub and Coffee Shop Part IV
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Allan,

You seem to conveniently gloss over the problems associated with the no holes barred (yeah, I know it's "holds") attitude of the ancients regarding sex. You know, things like chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts, gonorrhea, hepatitis, syphilis, trichomoniasis, and now HIV. Not to mention the problems associated with pregnancy, for both mother and child, during a girl's early teen years.

And while I have no issue "accepting" that was the way it was, I also see the necessity of it changing.

No telling how many early deaths the modern views of sex and the dreaded J-CE has managed to postpone.

Think maybe you have an overly romanticized view of things the "way they once were?" I hear that happens to some of us old folks... Smile   :) I think it was Lewis Carroll who said "We can never go back to yesterday because we were different people then" or at least something like that. We've all changed. The world has changed. There is no going back. The very essence of living is to be moving forward.

BTW, do you think maybe the fires have had something to do with the numbers of the birds dropping so sharply...?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Well, I can think of one word that has the same first two syllables.

True.

However my little quip was based on:

The Greeks connected her name with αφρος (aphros) meaning "foam", resulting in the story that she was born from the foam of the sea.
https://www.behindthename.com/www.behindthename.com › name › aphrodite

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3159 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
I think it was Lewis Carroll who said "We can never go back to yesterday because we were different people then" or at least something like that. We've all changed. The world has changed. There is no going back. The very essence of living is to be moving forward.

Carroll knew his stuff.

However, on this I much prefer George Santayana:
Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Or perhaps Edmund Burke, Revolution in France: "People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors."

quote:

You seem to conveniently gloss over the problems associated with the no holes barred (yeah, I know it's "holds") attitude of the ancients regarding sex. You know, things like chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts, gonorrhea, hepatitis, syphilis, trichomoniasis, and now HIV. Not to mention the problems associated with pregnancy, for both mother and child, during a girl's early teen years.

I don't scare that easily.

You really think we have learned anything?

Anyway, Nature has its own way of protecting life. Death was just one way of doing that.

Now, thanks to modern medicine, we have a population close to four times higher than it should be, and the direct consequence is we are destroying our planet.

Which would you prefer?

quote:
Think maybe you have an overly romanticized view of things the "way they once were?" I hear that happens to some of us old folks... Smile   :)

That opens up something I have been pondering for some time now. Like just about everyone, I took my behaviour for granted. Now I've been having a rethink. While I had plenty of social friends, got on OK with work colleagues, I always felt an outsider, with the exception of two brief periods.

Could there be some emotional trade-off brought about by Mensa IQ levels?

In hindsight, my behaviour often did not fit the norm.

Just one example: very often, when other editors had problems with reporters, their response was "Send them to Allan".

They saw the flaw in the reporter, whereas I saw the flaw in myself. It was up to me to solve the problem the reporter had been laden with.

It worked. All improved, some even going on to National levels.

Same applied with students. Usually the teachers simply did not have the time, however my Skinnerianism offered different options which very often worked.

In hindsight, some of the things that have happened to me over the decades have had little impact, yet I see others with the same experience taking a very long time to get over it.

I have Skinnerian "intellectual" explanations for what has happened; no place for emotional reactions. Can't even remember ever getting angry, though I'd put my frustration level unusually high. Happens every night watching the news and documentaries. I learned some time back there was nothing to be gained by throwing my beer can at the politician or scientific expert.

https://psychology.wikia.org/w...nd_social_deficiency
...this article specifically intends to discuss the linkage between high intelligence and social isolation. Some high IQ are frustrated by society, and most people, except people that treat high IQ with similar regard to others, and don't quickly assume they are arrogant.
This supposed linkage is seen in folklore in, for example, the character of the socially-inept genius in popular culture. This deficiency can range from harmless and endearing (see: nerd) to outright devastating, both in media and real life. 'Folklore' is making creative assumptions. The experience of High IQ can only be understood best by high IQ. High IQ makes many observations about intellectual and social problems, and these observations are dismissed as 'arrogant'. Most high IQ are not arrogant when they also possess even average EQ. In fact they often feel compelled to plea for understanding that they are not arrogant. How can someone who percieves more accurately describe unseen and important things to others, when the other judge them as arrogant, in posessing no rare insights?,.. and they are incapable of knowing what higher IQ looks like, by definition?
quote:
BTW, do you think maybe the fires have had something to do with the numbers of the birds dropping so sharply...?

A possibility, however there has been little if any damage anywhere near us. Numbers do tend to fluctuate, so we will have to see.

In passing, if you still have Wise Women of the Dreamtime, may I invite you to reread it, perhaps especially Lambert's preface and introduction?

Posts: 3159 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
You really think we have learned anything?

Anyway, Nature has its own way of protecting life. Death was just one way of doing that.

Now, thanks to modern medicine, we have a population close to four times higher than it should be, and the direct consequence is we are destroying our planet.

Which would you prefer?

According to Wiki:
The average global birth rate is 18.5 births per 1,000 total population in 2016. The death rate is 7.8 per 1,000 per year. The RNI is thus 1.06 percent. ... The 2016 average of 18.6 births per 1,000 total population is estimated to be about 4.3 births/second or about 256 births/minute for the world.

The UN as of 2017 predicts a decline of global population growth rate from +1.0% in 2020 to +0.5% in 2050 and to +0.1% in 2100. ... Randers' "most likely scenario" predicts a peak in the world population in the early 2040s at about 8.1 billion people, followed by decline.

Per ISF Studies: By now most readers are aware that U.S. birth rates have fallen to all-time lows. Early data for 2019 suggest that this slide is likely to continue. Those interested in demography more generally may also be aware that birth rates are falling in other countries. Most recently, reports of Finland’s baby bust have made headlines. Why are birth rates plummeting across so many countries? ...

The data shows that very low fertility rates are becoming increasingly normal across the globe. Current declines are probably not just cyclical, but likely reflect a “new normal” with most countries having birth rates between 1.4 and 1.9 children per woman.

quote:
Could there be some emotional trade-off brought about by Mensa IQ levels?

Don't think that is restricted to just Mensa IQ levels.

While my IQ is far from the Mensa requirement levels, I am not overly emotional. That said, there are a few things that will set me off big time. And I make no apology for it.

quote:
In passing, if you still have Wise Women of the Dreamtime, may I invite you to reread it, perhaps especially Lambert's preface and introduction?

I still have it...somewhere. Just don't know if I can put my fingers on it anytime soon since I have no idea where it is stored Frown   :(

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Wiki:
The UN as of 2017 predicts a decline of global population growth rate from +1.0% in 2020 to +0.5% in 2050 and to +0.1% in 2100. ... Randers' "most likely scenario" predicts a peak in the world population in the early 2040s at about 8.1 billion people, followed by decline.

Too little.

Too late.

Sit down with a Baileys and watch this clock till your glass is empty.
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Then scroll down to the graph.

I'm betting you will need another glass or three if you are to cope.

quote:
While my IQ is far from the Mensa requirement levels, I am not overly emotional. That said, there are a few things that will set me off big time. And I make no apology for it.

That is a major difference.

Nothing at all sets me off.
quote:

I still have it...somewhere. Just don't know if I can put my fingers on it anytime soon since I have no idea where it is stored Frown   :(

http://www.mountainman.com.au/ww_dtime.html
Traditional aboriginal society is founded on the pre-eminence of the characteristics of the Universal Female, epitomised by its unwavering respect for the earth, which aborigines refer to as "the mother". Their social order encourages, from infancy, empathetic concern and compassion toward all creatures in nature, as well as deep loyalties and responsibilities to their kin and the group as a whole. While these feminine characteristics are paramount, they do not translate into power-based hierarchical social structures as have the excessive masculine qualities within our patriarchal society. Within the Universal Feminine qualities such as receptivity, mtability (mutability?), inter-relatedness, and diffusion, that are predominant in aboriginal society, the creative Universal Masculine characteristics such as limitation, order, structure and definition also find expression.
...Poet and law woman Daisy Utemorra, of the Wandjina people, an elder of the Kimberley tribes of WA, related in a conversation that after men have obtained the highest degrees of male initiation "only then do they become elligible[sic] for initiation into women's law". Recognition of the feminine basis of this earliest hunting and gathering society lends support to the theories of the renowned anthropologist Marija Gimbutas who has explored the transition from prehistoric to historic in terms of an alternation between matriarchal, or feminine pre-eminence, and patriarchy, or masculine domination.
...Clearly, the commentary asks us to re-examine the nature of the foundations of both our individual and sociological awareness, for the teaching of ecological nature concerns more than what can be constrained into the purely intellectual expression that has become to be accepted as the universal faculty. Universality of understanding must expand into the exercise of the faculty of the heart of man, and not just his mind in isolation.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too little.

Too late.

Nah, it's already declining, as stated.

It's something that has been very noticeable here for a while. Families rarely require a van anymore to haul themselves around as most only have 1-3 children. But what is most noticeable are the ones who chose to have none. Right here on my street, there are several middle-aged and elderly couples who have had no children.

My own family is a good study in the subject. Out of 9 of us siblings, 6 had none, 1 had 3, 1 had 2, and 1 had 1 and adopted 2 more.

There is no reason for me to believe that trend will not continue.

quote:
That is a major difference.

Nothing at all sets me off.

I seriously doubt that. I'd say you tend more towards imploding than exploding. But it's being set off none-the-less... I find exploding a little healthier even if it is a little loud at times.

quote:
http://www.mountainman.com.au/ww_dtime.html
Traditional aboriginal society is founded on the pre-eminence of the characteristics of the Universal Female, epitomised by its unwavering respect for the earth, which aborigines refer to as "the mother". Their social order encourages, from infancy, empathetic concern and compassion toward all creatures in nature, as well as deep loyalties and responsibilities to their kin and the group as a whole. While these feminine characteristics are paramount, they do not translate into power-based hierarchical social structures as have the excessive masculine qualities within our patriarchal society. Within the Universal Feminine qualities such as receptivity, mtability (mutability?), inter-relatedness, and diffusion, that are predominant in aboriginal society, the creative Universal Masculine characteristics such as limitation, order, structure and definition also find expression.
...Poet and law woman Daisy Utemorra, of the Wandjina people, an elder of the Kimberley tribes of WA, related in a conversation that after men have obtained the highest degrees of male initiation "only then do they become elligible[sic] for initiation into women's law". Recognition of the feminine basis of this earliest hunting and gathering society lends support to the theories of the renowned anthropologist Marija Gimbutas who has explored the transition from prehistoric to historic in terms of an alternation between matriarchal, or feminine pre-eminence, and patriarchy, or masculine domination.
...Clearly, the commentary asks us to re-examine the nature of the foundations of both our individual and sociological awareness, for the teaching of ecological nature concerns more than what can be constrained into the purely intellectual expression that has become to be accepted as the universal faculty. Universality of understanding must expand into the exercise of the faculty of the heart of man, and not just his mind in isolation.

OK. I see us moving in that direction, but I hardly expect that it will happen overnight, nor do I expect that it will even look nearly the same. I mean, we didn't get here overnight either...and we are a very different people now.

Lighten up. These youngsters aren't totally without vision. They'll figure it out long before children are made in test tubes and hatched in a nursery.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Soapbox   :soapbox: We are working at cross-purposes here.

I have never argued against the fact that birth rates are declining in developed countries. The overall rate, however, is still increasing.

I am simply repeating the established fact that our world, still with increasing population, is proven unable to cope with the numbers.

That is quite apart from the fact that many countries are now facing a disproportion between the declining workforce and the increasing number of dependent ageing people.

We have not reached the end of January and already our population has risen by more than five million. That is about one-fifth of the population of Australia. According to that graph it will pass 10 billion by 2090. That is five times the population we can cope with.

I have a sister and a nephew who insist I am exaggerating, even though she and I have grandchildren, grand-nieces and nephews, who will be adding to the population long after we have shuffled off this particular mortal coil.

This is one reason I am unable to accept there are people in connection with older, wiser, life forms in other dimensions. I've read plenty on this, and have yet to see even the slightest suggestion any of this is producing results in terms of solving our world's multifarious problems (you listening, bluelamp?).
quote:
Lighten up. These youngsters aren't totally without vision. They'll figure it out long before children are made in test tubes and hatched in a nursery.

I doubt if any have read Brave New World.

More to the point, from my college and high school tutoring along with my decades of coaching, I know for a fact an increasing number of youngsters are coming from broken families. What sort of parents are they going to make?

quote:
I'd say you tend more towards imploding than exploding. But it's being set off none-the-less... I find exploding a little healthier even if it is a little loud at times.

Since nothing can be achieved by my imploding or exploding, there is no need for me to do it.

I'm the Skinnerian, remember Yes!   :yes:

Here to stay...
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is one reason I am unable to accept there are people in connection with older, wiser, life forms in other dimensions. I've read plenty on this, and have yet to see even the slightest suggestion any of this is producing results in terms of solving our world's multifarious problems (you listening, bluelamp?).

With or without channeling, people have to put in enough effort/research in order to solve the problem. If the problem become too dystopian without being solved, then natural disasters tend to solve the problem and empires fall. Even if the planet with its current U.S. empire are beyond solving, we should still work on the problem. We probably need to have more commune-like communities that kind of become extended families. Paul would like that. Reincarnation could give people more chances to work on problems.

Artsy as well as mathy people can be calm chilled commune members. For the more fiery types, a little letting off steam in measured ways (chopping wood or whatever) is fine. Righteous anger can also be useful for drawing attention to overly ignored problems. In general it is better to put effort into solving problems that can help others than to overly get into pleasure for the self. Paul preferred for people to be celibate like him. Our planet currently puts much too much time and money into the business of pleasurable things. Paul's worries seem justified in this area.

Lots of people channel without knowing it. As long as people do the work/research and are open in the way say a Ramanujan was then perhaps you can get help via channeling the Dreamtime whether you think there are real entities there or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...y_and_spiritual_life

quote:
Ramanujan has been described as a person of a somewhat shy and quiet disposition, a dignified man with pleasant manners.[58] He lived a simple life at Cambridge.[12]:234,241 Ramanujan's first Indian biographers describe him as a rigorously orthodox Hindu. He credited his acumen to his family goddess, Namagiri Thayar (Goddess Mahalakshmi) of Namakkal. He looked to her for inspiration in his work[12]:36 and said he dreamed of blood drops that symbolised her consort, Narasimha. Afterward he would receive visions of scrolls of complex mathematical content unfolding before his eyes.[12]:281 He often said, "An equation for me has no meaning unless it represents a thought of God."[59]

Hardy cites Ramanujan as remarking that all religions seemed equally true to him.[12]:283 Hardy further argued that Ramanujan's religious belief had been romanticised by Westerners and overstated—in reference to his belief, not practice—by Indian biographers.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Catch up to y'all later. Been totally out of it most of today following my last dental consultation prior to surgery.

Now all that's left is to coordinate the big date between doc/sis/self and get this surgery done.

Meanwhile, gotta set a date to do a sit-down/walk-through with the contractor to see if we can get this house fleshed out so I can move in.

Hate that these 2 major events are overlapping...not sure I'm up to it.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Soapbox   :soapbox: We are working at cross-purposes here.

I have never argued against the fact that birth rates are declining in developed countries. The overall rate, however, is still increasing.

I am simply repeating the established fact that our world, still with increasing population, is proven unable to cope with the numbers.

So what, exactly, would you suggest?

quote:
That is quite apart from the fact that many countries are now facing a disproportion between the declining workforce and the increasing number of dependent ageing people.

Yep, the baby boomers are leaving their mark, and it ain't all pretty.

quote:
We have not reached the end of January and already our population has risen by more than five million. That is about one-fifth of the population of Australia. According to that graph it will pass 10 billion by 2090. That is five times the population we can cope with.

So what would be your solution?

quote:

Hmmm, sometimes it's those quiet people who are working behind the scenes who produce the most good. Elon Musk is still considered a weirdo by most, and he isn't even quiet. Even so, he's lit a fire under the automakers to produce electric vehicles. Not too shabby.

quote:
Since nothing can be achieved by my imploding or exploding, there is no need for me to do it.

I'm the Skinnerian, remember Yes!   :yes:

Of course you are. But I also recall you speaking of a morning when you couldn't get out of bed...so clearly there are some things that will set you off. Few of us are made of stone...and that's probably a good thing.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Catch up to y'all later. Been totally out of it most of today following my last dental consultation prior to surgery.
Now all that's left is to coordinate the big date between doc/sis/self and get this surgery done.
Meanwhile, gotta set a date to do a sit-down/walk-through with the contractor to see if we can get this house fleshed out so I can move in.

How much longer are you going to have to put up with this? I really don't know how you can cope with it all.

Takes me all my time to put the washing....

Oh, bugger.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Allan:

quote:
So what, exactly, would you suggest?

As I keep saying, it is blindingly simple.

All we need is for enough of our Alphas to return to what they should be doing, caring for the tribe.

One of the first steps they will need to take is to instruct the medical profession to research and discover a fully and safely reversible way of removing the tails from sperm.

If I've got it right, that means all growing young men will be able to do what all growing young men need to do.

Except create babies.

After they have achieved a proper education, held down a good-paying job for a required period, developed a firm commitment to a women, they both have to undertake an intensive course in child-rearing.

After the course, each partner will take individual exams, then they take a third together.

When they have acquired a pass, those tails will be restored.

At the same time, experienced social elders will undergo similar courses, and those who pass will be appointed to supervise the upbringing of all children.

Apart from the tails, there is absolutely nothing new or original about that.

quote:
This is one reason I am unable to accept there are people in connection with older, wiser, life forms in other dimensions. I've read plenty on this, and have yet to see even the slightest suggestion any of this is producing results in terms of solving our world's multifarious problems.

quote:
Hmmm, sometimes it's those quiet people who are working behind the scenes who produce the most good. Elon Musk is still considered a weirdo by most, and he isn't even quiet. Even so, he's lit a fire under the automakers to produce electric vehicles. Not too shabby.

That is not quite what I am getting at.

Sure there are plenty of people with highly effective, much-needed, concepts. Just about every week I see some absolutely astonishing new developments in a range of fields.

We need more such as Gates*, Jobs*, Crick who know how to use entheogens to upgrade their thinking.

*Have you ever read anything on the thinking gap between the Internet developers in the US east, and those in Silicon Valley?

The difference is astonishing. Reminds me of the very early days, when companies such as Xerox and IBM were adamant their computers would only be suitable for big business. The Internet as we have it today came from LSD, not orthodox conventional thinkers.

quote:
Of course you are. But I also recall you speaking of a morning when you couldn't get out of bed...so clearly there are some things that will set you off. Few of us are made of stone...and that's probably a good thing.

One hell of a difference between getting angry over some upset and being broken by intense work stress.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
JR, I do not know enough of Margaret Barker other than to accept she is a convinced devoted educated Christian.

Same goes for Michael Baigent.

While each has their individual focus, both are Protestants.

I have to wonder, though, if either has ever entertained the prospect that their religion originated in entheogens.

I'm thinking about this because Baigent is absolutely convinced the originators thought differently, had access to knowledge which no one else could achieve, knowledge they restricted to the properly initiated.

As a Christian, for him the knowledge came from God.

He exposes the shenanigans of Rome as it destroys or covers up information which creates holes in their dyke.

Sooner or later they will run out of fingers, and my great concern comes from the fact we actually do know better. What happens when it all comes out in the open and the dyke gives way? Especially with the Internet.

In his own individual approach, Baigent is saying (as I see it, of course) exactly what I have been saying about our J-CE.

He puts it this way.

The central problem with biblical scholarship is that most experts in the field have been trained as theologians or biblical historians. Pure historians in this field are rare. And those historians who have ventured into the field have very often found themselves subjected to fierce attacks by the theologians because such a dispassionate look at the data often leads to very different conclusions that are unwelcome to church teaching.

This is not just about the posse Literalist thinking, this is about core issues.

Orthodoxy Rules OK

Thought I'd lost this one. Will read it all after feeding the remaining birds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_violence

Am wondering if the loss of lorikeet numbers is because this is the breeding season. As I understand it, they restrict themselves to an extent to the neighbourhood of the appropriate trees, and I doubt there are any close to me.

For the first time ever, I watched a pair last night who had me absolutely fascinated.

While they were there for the feed, their behaviour reminded me of nothing more than our own behaviour in the far-distant past when I was out dining at a fancy restaurant and dancing together cheek to cheek with the right partner. The behaviour might have been a little different, but the intent was clearly and undeniably identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdS5uRgu_TA

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How much longer are you going to have to put up with this? I really don't know how you can cope with it all.

Takes me all my time to put the washing....

Oh, bugger.

Well, my system took care of all that stress in its own way. Woke up to an IBS episode that called a screeching halt to everything. Guess that's one way of handling it!

But I cannot get the surgery done until I take care of the contract work for the house. Gotta have a clear head when I deal with that. After the surgery, I'll be out of it for about 10 days or so...assuming no complications.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I keep saying, it is blindingly simple.

Yeah, you do. And then you go into something that ain't gonna be so quick nor simple...like:

quote:
"All we need is for enough of our Alphas to return to what they should be doing, caring for the tribe.

One of the first steps they will need to take is to instruct the medical profession to research and discover a fully and safely reversible way of removing the tails from sperm.

If I've got it right, that means all growing young men will be able to do what all growing young men need to do.

Except create babies.

After they have achieved a proper education, held down a good-paying job for a required period, developed a firm commitment to a women, they both have to undertake an intensive course in child-rearing.

After the course, each partner will take individual exams, then they take a third together.

When they have acquired a pass, those tails will be restored.

At the same time, experienced social elders will undergo similar courses, and those who pass will be appointed to supervise the upbringing of all children.

Apart from the tails, there is absolutely nothing new or original about that."

That's a very tall order. I mean, that's gonna take changing everyone's attitude regarding reproduction, rights, and education. Not to mention the medical research that has to precede all that.

Whattaya think the population numbers will look like by then?

I'm thinking they will already be well into decline.

quote:
Sure there are plenty of people with highly effective, much-needed, concepts. Just about every week I see some absolutely astonishing new developments in a range of fields.

We need more such as Gates*, Jobs*, Crick who know how to use entheogens to upgrade their thinking.

*Have you ever read anything on the thinking gap between the Internet developers in the US east, and those in Silicon Valley?

The difference is astonishing. Reminds me of the very early days, when companies such as Xerox and IBM were adamant their computers would only be suitable for big business. The Internet as we have it today came from LSD, not orthodox conventional thinkers.

No, haven't read up on it. Even so, unlike you, I do not think entheogens are the answer to our most pressing global issues. That's not to say that I don't think there is a place for them. But I seriously doubt this is one of them.

quote:
One hell of a difference between getting angry over some upset and being broken by intense work stress.

Is there?

Stress: a feeling of emotional or physical tension. It can come from any event or thought that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous.

The physical effects of prolonged stress are numerous, including a greater susceptibility to illness, a lack of energy, problems with sleep, headaches, poor judgment, weight gain, depression, anxiety, and a host of other ills...

Allan, I've suffered adrenal burnout due to the stress caused by work demands and extended hours required by back-to-back 24-hour-ops during Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991), Sierra Madre earthquake (1991), and Hurricane Andrew (1992).

I was so tired that I'd feel like I had already worked all day even before I got in the car to go to work. Simply put, I wasn't getting enough downtime nor nutrition. If you think for one second that I didn't blow my stack (explode) a few times during that stress, you'd be sadly mistaken.

Your "being broken" (imploding) is simply another/different manifestation caused by extended or acute stress.

All I'm saying is that we've both been there. Our stress simply manifested itself differently. Cuz we're different. You suck in. I blow out. But this bubbette still loves you bubba!

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Just awake for a wee moment and thought I'd mention I am struggling to get through that Bible violence site.

It did, however, provide me with the most outrageous, extended, end-of-times dream just before I woke, one which any script writers would pay enormous amounts for.

Reminds me of a question no one has ever answered: Am I the only person in the entire history of the world who has actually read and interpreted Genesis 8:21-22 the way I do?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just awake for a wee moment and thought I'd mention I am struggling to get through that Bible violence site.

It did, however, provide me with the most outrageous, extended, end-of-times dream just before I woke, one which any script writers would pay enormous amounts for.

Yeah, I poked around in the Bible violence site a bit. But like I've said before, the OT doesn't hold much for me other than the Psalms and some of the prophets. That creation and destruction stuff has nothing for me.

End times. We all have one. But if you are speaking of Revelation, it was speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred when the Romans sacked it. I don't get wrapped around it.

quote:
Reminds me of a question no one has ever answered: Am I the only person in the entire history of the world who has actually read and interpreted Genesis 8:21-22 the way I do?

Hmmm, God in Genesis 1 is Elohim, but God in Genesis 8:21 is Yahweh. Something Barker gets into big time.

Here to stay...
posted Hide Post
quote:

I tend to think it relates to the cooking of birds and small animals being needed more after the Younger Dryas disaster. As pioneers in bad winters knew, just living on small animals like rabbits can be bad because it's too much protein not enough something else (carbohydrates or fats).

Posts: 1053 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Houston, we have a communication problem: Immediately after saying I had an end-of-world dream, I asked: Am I the only person in the entire history of the world who has actually read and interpreted Genesis 8:21-22 the way I do?
The responses were:
quote:
Hmmm, God in Genesis 1 is Elohim, but God in Genesis 8:21 is Yahweh. Something Barker gets into big time.

quote:
I tend to think it relates to the cooking of birds and small animals being needed more after the Younger Dryas disaster. As pioneers in bad winters knew, just living on small animals like rabbits can be bad because it's too much protein not enough something else (carbohydrates or fats).

How do we phrase this to ensure we get a response in line with a direct interpretation of the verses in terms of end-of-times predictions?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do we phrase this to ensure we get a response in line with a direct interpretation of the verses in terms of end-of-times predictions?

Well, let's see...you might want to start with how you interpret it and equate it to end times and whose version of end times you're talking about.

I don't take it literally as "from God's mouth" and I've never equated it with end times stuff.

I see it more as some priest's justification for sacrifices...ergo my mention of the differences in the gods.

Genesis 8:21-22 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

But do notice that verse 20 states: Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it.

Now notice the mention of clean animals and birds when no such designation had yet been specified.

That said, I think I see where you are going with it. Except that I ain't one of those who believes Revelation is literally about the end of times on earth. As I stated earlier, I take it to be about the destruction of Jerusalem.

Are you saying that you have had some end-timer state that the earth and all on it will be destroyed by God?

I ask because Revelation 11:18 states:
"The nations raged,
but your wrath has come,
and the time for judging the dead,
for rewarding your servants, the prophets
and saints and all who fear your name,
both small and great,
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

Just remember, if Revelation is about the destruction of Jerusalem by Rome, then it isn't likely to be speaking of the destruction of planet Earth, but of the Temple which represented the Earth...(Temple represented Earth, Holy of Holies represented Heaven).