Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub and Coffee Shop Part IV
      Page: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Mob's Pub and Coffee Shop Part IV
 Login/Register 
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Been doing that lately too. Not fun!

Posts: 11116 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Listening to the constant warble from the magpies in the yard, I was delighted to learn where their name came from.

The first element is Mag, nickname for Margaret, long used in proverbial and slang English for qualities associated generally with women, especially in this case "idle chattering" (as in Magge tales "tall tales, nonsense," early 15c.; also compare French margot "magpie," from Margot, pet form of Marguerite). The name Margaret, and its reduced forms Mag, Madge, diminutive Maggie, also has long been familiarly applied to birds. Pies were proverbial since Middle English for chattering (as were jays), hence the application of pie to a prattling gossip or tattler, also "sly person, informer" (late 14c.) and in 15c.-16c. a wily pie (or wyly pye) was "a cunning person."
https://www.etymonline.com/word/magpie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3159 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Have a huge Oak tree outside my bedroom. Not a bad deal unless you like to sleep late. It's the bird's favorite gathering place early morning to sing in the new day!

Late in the day they gather in a huge Winter Honeysuckle shrub at the back door and watch the feral cats eat their evening meal on the back steps. Then they swarm in to pick up any leftover kibble left behind by the cats and splash around in the kittie's water bucket!

Large variety of birds. Really nice.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
They certainly cheer up my days.

Posts: 3159 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Yeah, me too.

Unless they wake this old girl up.

Then I can become grumpy...

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Take more than a flock of birds to waken this bloke up.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Alcohol may be helping.

Posts: 11116 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Alcohol may be helping.

LOL!   :lol:

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
Take more than a flock of birds to waken this bloke up.

Living as a female alone in the big city, I'm always a light sleeper...

Been a long time since I slept like a rock.

Maybe once I move to the burbs?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Now I gotta go tuck me in. Amazon is delivering groceries sometime between 6-8 AM. They usually arrive within the 1st half hour of that 2-hour window. And it's supposed to be in the 70s overnight so I'll have to get the fridge stuff put away immediately.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Sleep well.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Now I gotta go tuck me in. Amazon is delivering groceries sometime between 6-8 AM. They usually arrive within the 1st half hour of that 2-hour window. And it's supposed to be in the 70s overnight so I'll have to get the fridge stuff put away immediately.

Good luck.

For what it is worth, SIL got a package from Amazon delivered that had her address on it but not her name. Amazon has quit their telephone queries and their autochat has to have an invoice number. Got any idea what kind of circles that sent her in? Afaik, she still has the packages. Maybe 2 if the person doesn’t correct their address. M

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
If she goes to the Amazon Assist (found at the bottom of the opening page), then down on the lower right she will find Need Help with a blue contact Amazon beneath. If she opens that she will find a Chat choice and a We Can Call You choice.

They will call you back but it isn't always right away. I usually use the chat feature and almost always get immediate results. She'll need to state plainly that she received someone else's package.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
If she goes to the Amazon Assist (found at the bottom of the opening page), then down on the lower right she will find Need Help with a blue contact Amazon beneath. If she opens that she will find a Chat choice and a We Can Call You choice.

They will call you back but it isn't always right away. I usually use the chat feature and almost always get immediate results. She'll need to state plainly that she received someone else's package.

The chat choice kept asking here for an invoice number. She tried numerous methods to tell them it wasn’t her order!

I’ve use chat and gotten mostly what I need. Another platform is worse and I still managed to get a human response. I did have to flood with 6 rapid remarks to get the answer though!

I got her to open the packages as Amazon used to include packing slips ... nope not in there. This was a delivery straight from Amazon so I’m assuming the missing package was missed quickly and that it’s too expensive to track it down.

For what it is worth, I would have tried gift just to get by the invoice, but I believe she tried that and eventually was asked for an invoice number. I’d thought later I would have tried all zeros, too. Anyway it was kind of interesting that someone doesn’t know their own address! My SIL is in her 60s and moved there shortly after her birth!

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Return to sender...

Address unknown...

No such number...

No such phone...

Posts: 9699 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Return to sender...

Address unknown...

No such number...

No such phone...

And who is going to pick it up? USPS said it wasn’t their delivery! Said it was direct from Amazon.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
I dunno. Maybe leave a big sign on door that tells Amazon deliver person to ask if this belongs here before leaving another one? Also mention on it that they've left stuff that doesn't belong there.

Posts: 9699 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
I dunno. Maybe leave a big sign on door that tells Amazon deliver person to ask if this belongs here before leaving another one? Also mention on it that they've left stuff that doesn't belong there.

Not sure that would work. Here Amazon, never deliversThere she doesn’t get regular delivers and many are not eligible for Amazon delivery.

Afaik this is her first ever. Normally UPS delivers hers.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Billy, the guy who did odd-jobs for me, came home from the hospital yesterday morning under hospice care...and passed away yesterday afternoon.

He had been speaking to family members on the phone most of the time since he had gotten home. While they were waiting for a hospice worker to arrive, she had made him something to eat, but she said he didn't eat very much.

Then he asked his wife to shave his face since he hadn't been shaved in 8 days after going into the hospital. She was in the midst of shaving him when she noticed he wasn't blinking. Thinking that he might be having a seizure, she called for and ambulance.

She told me he was very relaxed and seemed content while she was shaving him, as was usual when he was being shaved. Said whenever he got upset or anxious, a shave him always toned him down immediately and always 'put him in the zone'. So at least we know he was happy when he passed.

She finally admitted he had stage IV lung cancer, but that she expected he would last at least a few more months. She now suspects that the hospital was trying to keep him there until he passed, but he and she were pressing them to let him come home. If it's true they were attempting to keep him there, it means they knew he didn't have much longer.

I'm glad they prevailed and he was able to die at home. That was better for both Billy and his wife.

Really gonna miss him...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Been thinking about him lately, sorry to hear how bad his cancer was. And glad he made it home. Mom had a friend like that, basically wanted to die in her own bed!

I do know you will miss him though.