Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    The Mob's Pub and Coffee Shop Part IV
      Page: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Mob's Pub and Coffee Shop Part IV
 Login/Register 
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
"poly" - a prefix meaning "many".

"tick" - a small blood-sucking creating.

Put them together, and you get... what? Smile-Big   :D

Posts: 9699 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ImPeach:
quote:
Originally posted by purplepentode:
Maddow: 23 Sep 2020

This is an upsetting story. It's late and I don't have time to write up a transcript of my own. Just watch it.

Trump wants to get rid of the ballots. It's not supposition. He's said it explicitly.

This topic is hereby moved to The Pub at Reed N D Dark’s request..

Not sure what this is. It was Linda’s and my discussion about Smooz I had in mind moving.

Posts: 11115 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
"poly" - a prefix meaning "many".

"tick" - a small blood-sucking creating.

Put them together, and you get... what? Smile-Big   :D

he he he

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
"he" being Trump?

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3159 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Not sure what this is. It was Linda’s and my discussion about Smooz I had in mind moving.

Far from being the first time there has been this sort of total misunderstanding.

Posts: 3159 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
How long does it take to get an Australian passport?

Posts: 11115 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
I'm the last one to ask that.

Been here more than 70 years and still have my UK passport; registered as an Australian resident which treats me as an Aussie in most ways except I do have to get a return visa when I go overseas.

https://www.australiancitizens...test-complete-guide/

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.a...esident/entitlements
Unlike Australian citizens, a permanent resident generally cannot:
have an Australian passport
vote in Australian Government elections unless you enrolled (as a British subject) before 26 January 1984 (I qualify because we came here in 1950, when Aussies were British citizens).

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
I'm the last one to ask that.

Been here more than 70 years and still have my UK passport; registered as an Australian resident which treats me as an Aussie in most ways except I do have to get a return visa when I go overseas.

https://www.australiancitizens...test-complete-guide/

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.a...esident/entitlements
Unlike Australian citizens, a permanent resident generally cannot:
have an Australian passport
vote in Australian Government elections unless you enrolled (as a British subject) before 26 January 1984 (I qualify because we came here in 1950, when Aussies were British citizens).

Thanks, I got to thinking after I posted that that you were on a UK Passport.

Malta used to have fewer rules, they’ve combined a couple of them that had to do with investing in the country.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Given all the interest among those in the US migrating to Canada, does any of that actually happen?

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given all the interest among those in the US migrating to Canada, does any of that actually happen?

I think more did that during Vietnam than now. Many names that people remembered did not go. It’s actually not that easy to work in Canada. Perhaps those that threatened did set up residents so they could meet the 4-5 year residency requirement.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
"he" being Trump?

He does rather suck the lifeblood doesn't he.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Checked on Steve yesterday. He took the pups for a walk around 5:30 AM trying to get it done before the rain set in.

Didn't make it...again. They all got wet...again. But I'm convinced the 3 of them enjoy it so much they aim to get wet!

Been raining here since yesterday morning and we've had a couple of tornado warnings tonight, so I'm monitoring it until the warnings pass.

Miz Baby and I have gorged ourselves on boiled shrimp and she has already snuggled herself in the bed. I'm gonna watch another episode of The Expanse on Amazon and then consider joining her if the tornado watches have passed by then.

Will check back in a few days, meanwhile, hoping y'all are doin' well.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Lost power early yesterday afternoon. Seems the ground is saturated from all the rain and is allowing trees to topple over. One in our neighborhood toppled onto the power lines. They finally got the tree moved and our power back on around 2:30 AM this morning. So no power for almost 13 hours.

Had spoken to the HVAC guy on Saturday regarding the renovation project and was awaiting a call from the contractor after the 2 of them had spoken. Instead, got a call from my sis that the HVAC guy had a massive heart attack on Sunday and passed away...he was only 48 and had young kids at home.

Also learned my mom isn't doing well. More heart issues and she isn't strong enough for any further surgery. She'll be 90 in February if she makes it that long.

Needless to say, I'm bummed...and my tummy is acting up...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead, got a call from my sis that the HVAC guy had a massive heart attack on Sunday and passed away...he was only 48 and had young kids at home.

OMG! We’ve had some long outages of 2 days before. That also means no water too. Glad you have power back, but it doesn’t change much when your mom is also ill. My MIL was considering a watchman just before her aneurism burst. Hope she finds a way to contain her problems. Is she in the hospital?

Take care of you too!

Our contractors have finally finished! And you suggest it’s never fun. That’s why we put a lot off.
Keep us posted. (((Hug)))

Btw, our phone connections do better after a recent rain. Now we just need to fix the grounding problem that that implies.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Seems the HVAC guy was told by his doctor a few years ago that he needed a pacemaker...but his insurance said he was "too young"...and guess who won...

It is just so stupid to me that an insurance company can determine the medical necessity over that of a doctor. Something desperately wrong with that.

Also, mom was hospitalized today. She had been showing signs of "getting worse", meaning that she was getting weaker, seemed restless, and was becoming less aware of her surroundings for a couple of days. Baby sis had been shuttling her to the doc's office for tests in order to determine the cause. This morning when sis took her in for another test the doc decided it was time to put her in the hospital for "more tests and analysis."

Mom was unable to recognize/identify anyone, even her own children...4 of whom were there. And today's tests, so far, show she also has pneumonia. So this is not looking good...

Will try to check back tomorrow.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear your mom is doing worse but glad she’s in the hospital if they will actually pay attention to her.

As for insurance companies, I assume this was one of those “new better” policies? I remember when those things happened but a lot went away with ACA. Of course it would have helped if his doctor fought harder, but then that doesn’t always work either.

In Singapore one of our typist was having trouble with her breast, no one in the health care system would even listen as she was too young! I helped her find some books but I’m not sure she ever got the help. And yes I did ask if it was cyclical. At 22 to not be able to get help just seemed absurd. I think there may have been a history, so I encouraged her to get her mother to help.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Mom was released from the hospital late yesterday afternoon. Seems her pneumonia was caused from a swallowing issue commonly associated with Alzheimer's.

I expect to get an update later today.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Things aren't going so well with mom...

Mom returned home from the hospital and everything seemed to be better and so my brothers and sisters who had traveled to see her had decided to return to their respective homes.

Baby sis then decided to take her car to the mechanic to check out one of the idiot lights on the dash that wouldn't go off and left 2 of my brothers to watch over mom until she got back. While she was gone she got a call from one of my brothers that mom was complaining that she "ached all over" and he said her face was "twitching". Baby sis told him to call an ambulance to take mom to the hospital, she would wait in town to see when it entered the highway, and would follow it to the hospital (she has power of attorney).

Diagnosis was 'aortic dissection'...and she's too weak to endure anesthesia for an operation (she's already had one valve replaced and they deemed her too weak for another). And...2 of mom's siblings died from aneurysms following aortic dissection... Both of them were much younger than mom is.

I've heard of "cascading events" in late stage Alzheimer's but didn't quite expect this. We're hanging tuff though...been bracing for it for a while now.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
been bracing for it for a while now.

No one ever totally prepared, but hopefully they are accepting.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Posts: 9699 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post