Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Woo Hoo! There really is a GOD!!!

And while the Amazon Forum was easier to use, I was really tired of the divisiveness of the posse. Not gonna miss them a bit.

Hey, good to see you here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Woo Hoo! There really is a GOD!!!

And while the Amazon Forum was easier to use, I was really tired of the divisiveness of the posse. Not gonna miss them a bit.

Hey, good to see you here.

I still need to figure out the buttons.

Posts: 12957 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Okay let’s see what this one does!

Posts: 12957 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm having to reorient myself to the format too.

Glad you made it over here.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Okay let’s see what this one does!

Hee hee hee

Oh, I signed on to Goodreads, but I don't think I'm going back there. Doesn't look like my kind of place.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I didn’t find what I was looking for there either. I started on the forums with a book that was on the top 10 best sellers list, I just haven’t read any since!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn’t find what I was looking for there either. I started on the forums with a book that was on the top 10 best sellers list, I just haven’t read any since!

I just deleted my review of "The Naked Now" by Robert Rohr and then logged off. Won't be going back.

BTW, have you read any of his books?

The next one on my list is "Things Hidden - Scripture as Spirituality".

Freshie...
Picture of Craig
posted Hide Post
Good to see you both here. I really like what you said to Tonya before things got shut down JR. She needed to hear it, even if it probably wont help her.

Posts: 32 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
Good to see you both here. I really like what you said to Tonya before things got shut down JR. She needed to hear it, even if it probably wont help her.

Thanks Craig.

I wish I could think she even bothered to read it. Even so, I'm afraid Tonya is fully indoctrinated and beyond reaching via this media. I do pray that something or someone will eventually be able to break through.

I'm currently reading a few books by a Franciscan Priest, Robert Rohr, that even you might find interesting. He is one of the few 'Christian writers' who has admitted that the church has done itself and its parishioners a huge disservice in what and how they teach. That they took the 'easy way' and essentially turned Christianity into churchianity by keeping their teachings at the very lowest level (head knowledge) - which keeps them coming back - rather than lifting the teachings and expectations to higher levels (spiritual experience) - which leads to mysticism, and true Christianity.

He is a mystic, which of course, I lean heavily toward. And all the things he's saying are things that I 'knew' without really knowing how I knew - if you know what I mean. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it - but it was definitely there 'cause all through this book (The Naked Now, Learning to See as the Mystics See), I keep finding myself saying "I KNOW that!"

Dyed in the wool literalists will have a difficult time with him though, 'cause he ain't one, LOL!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I just deleted my review of "The Naked Now" by Robert Rohr and then logged off. Won't be going back.

BTW, have you read any of his books?

The next one on my list is "Things Hidden - Scripture as Spirituality".

I looked at a few of them. Scripture as Spirituality sounded like lectra divica, or however it is spelled!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at a few of them. Scripture as Spirituality sounded like lectra divica, or however it is spelled!

Lectio Divina?

How about "Only when the two come together, inner and outer authority, do we have true spiritual wisdom. We have for too long insisted on outer authority alone, without any teaching of prayer, inner journey and maturing consciousness. The results for the world and for religion have been disastrous... I offer these reflections to again unite what should never have been separated: sacred Scripture and Christian spirituality." From the Intro

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lectio Divina?

How about "Only when the two come together, inner and outer authority, do we have true spiritual wisdom. We have for too long insisted on outer authority alone, without any teaching of prayer, inner journey and maturing consciousness. The results for the world and for religion have been disastrous... I offer these reflections to again unite what should never have been separated: sacred Scripture and Christian spirituality." From the Intro

Looks better!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks better!

I'm not sure that is what he is doing in this book though.

Try this review...

"Drawing from all of these authorities, Richard seeks to unveil the “great themes of Scripture”. He accurately points out early in his book that when we rely exclusively on proof texts from Scripture, we inevitably develop an orthodoxy that fits our own biases and preferences. He claims, and I agree, that you can pretty much support any doctrine with a proof text. But creating an orthodoxy built on proof texts IS the danger if we rely exclusively on an unchallenged and rote reading of Scripture from beginning to end.

Thank God that Jesus was willing to challenge such a treatment of Scripture. I think we have somehow missed the bold manner in which Jesus turned upside down the interpretations of Old Testament scripture that were popular in his day. Of course, he was killed for it. There is no question that Richard also reinterprets the Scriptures in ways that will leave many uneasy. But I hope we can be more gentle with teachers like Richard than we were with Jesus.

I am troubled by how so many conservative Christians claim that the Bible is absolutely free of contradictions or inconsistencies. Invariably, this claim is followed by a refusal or inability to accept mystery and paradox...." by Glen Grunau

https://www.goodreads.com/book...225798.Things_Hidden

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Looks better!

I'm not sure that is what he is doing in this book though.

Try this review...

"Drawing from all of these authorities, Richard seeks to unveil the “great themes of Scripture”. He accurately points out early in his book that when we rely exclusively on proof texts from Scripture, we inevitably develop an orthodoxy that fits our own biases and preferences. He claims, and I agree, that you can pretty much support any doctrine with a proof text. But creating an orthodoxy built on proof texts IS the danger if we rely exclusively on an unchallenged and rote reading of Scripture from beginning to end.

Thank God that Jesus was willing to challenge such a treatment of Scripture. I think we have somehow missed the bold manner in which Jesus turned upside down the interpretations of Old Testament scripture that were popular in his day. Of course, he was killed for it. There is no question that Richard also reinterprets the Scriptures in ways that will leave many uneasy. But I hope we can be more gentle with teachers like Richard than we were with Jesus.

I am troubled by how so many conservative Christians claim that the Bible is absolutely free of contradictions or inconsistencies. Invariably, this claim is followed by a refusal or inability to accept mystery and paradox...." by Glen Grunau

https://www.goodreads.com/book...225798.Things_Hidden

I like that and this quote

”God is always choosing people. First impressions aside, God is not primarily choosing them for a role or a task, although it might appear that way. God is really choosing them to be God’s self in this world, each in a unique situation. If they allow themselves to experience being chosen, being a beloved, being somehow God’s presence in the world, they invariably communicate that same chosenness to others. And thus the Mystery passes on from age to age. Yes, we do have roles and tasks in this world, but finally they are all the same—to uniquely be divine love in a way that no one else can or will”

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

”God is always choosing people. First impressions aside, God is not primarily choosing them for a role or a task, although it might appear that way. God is really choosing them to be God’s self in this world, each in a unique situation. If they allow themselves to experience being chosen, being a beloved, being somehow God’s presence in the world, they invariably communicate that same chosenness to others. And thus the Mystery passes on from age to age. Yes, we do have roles and tasks in this world, but finally they are all the same—to uniquely be divine love in a way that no one else can or will”

Oh yea yah, LOVE it!

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Buttons, Buttons? We don't need no friggen buttons......

bryan j borich

Posts: 486 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh yea yah, LOVE it!

While nice, not entirely correct Smile   :)

bryan j borich

Posts: 486 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Way back when now, my Partner sent me this song as done by Jeff Buckley, this is a nice video and cover as done by another group.

While listening to some other songs in particular concerning the two artists who committed suicide this year (and wondering how Noah handled the death of the lead singer of Linkin Park and if he ever got out of his moodiness). And wondering about MIA....

Anyway, this popped up and for some reason, it is affecting me more today, than it ever did, not that I think I fully understand it any better at times,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP8d7hhpoQ

bryan j borich

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
...Anyway, this popped up and for some reason, it is affecting me more today, than it ever did, not that I think I fully understand it any better at times,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP8d7hhpoQ

Nice version of that song...

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
On sale,

https://www.amazon.com/People-...6K32467N2JKH7C3N5VPB

bryan j borich