Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by That JR Thang:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
I like that and this quote

”God is always choosing people. First impressions aside, God is not primarily choosing them for a role or a task, although it might appear that way. God is really choosing them to be God’s self in this world, each in a unique situation. If they allow themselves to experience being chosen, being a beloved, being somehow God’s presence in the world, they invariably communicate that same chosenness to others. And thus the Mystery passes on from age to age. Yes, we do have roles and tasks in this world, but finally they are all the same—to uniquely be divine love in a way that no one else can or will”

I keep thinking about this...Had a conversation with my literalists sister recently. It was clear very early in the discussion that she has absolutely no frame of reference for it! So I tried to find a beginning for her. I told her to draw a large circle on a piece of paper, and then a slightly smaller circle within the outer one. Then, I had her draw an oval anywhere within that circle. Then I had her draw a circle in the center of the oval, and another much smaller circle between the center circle and the oval. I told her to put a dot on the smaller circle.

I told her to label the outer circle as God.
The inside circle as Universe.
The oval as Solar System.
The larger circle in the center of it as Sun.
The smaller circle inside the oval as Earth.
And then the dot on the small circle as Self.

I said, "Do you believe God is Spirit?
..."Yes."
I said, "Do you believe God is Omnipresent?"
..."Yes."

"OK, Look at your drawing..."

Very long pause...

..."So God is everywhere?"
Raised eyebrows..."At all times. Essentially, we exist within God."
..."But that can't be..."
"Why?"
..."Because God cannot be in the presence of sin...that's why there's a hell."
"Hmmm, so conceptually, one of those two are incorrect? Let's see,
1) You believe that Jesus is God.
2) You believe that Jesus ate with sinners.
3) Yet you believe God cannot be in the presence of sin."

"Hmmm, you've got a problem."

I'm thinking this is going to take a very long time...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/0...ged-puerto-rico.html

bryan j borich

Posts: 486 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

Terrific!

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
I like that and this quote

”God is always choosing people. First impressions aside, God is not primarily choosing them for a role or a task, although it might appear that way. God is really choosing them to be God’s self in this world, each in a unique situation. If they allow themselves to experience being chosen, being a beloved, being somehow God’s presence in the world, they invariably communicate that same chosenness to others. And thus the Mystery passes on from age to age. Yes, we do have roles and tasks in this world, but finally they are all the same—to uniquely be divine love in a way that no one else can or will”

I keep thinking about this...Had a conversation with my literalists sister recently. It was clear very early in the discussion that she has absolutely no frame of reference for it! So I tried to find a beginning for her. I told her to draw a large circle on a piece of paper, and then a slightly smaller circle within the outer one. Then, I had her draw an oval anywhere within that circle. Then I had her draw a circle in the center of the oval, and another much smaller circle between the center circle and the oval. I told her to put a dot on the smaller circle.

I told her to label the outer circle as God.
The inside circle as Universe.
The oval as Solar System.
The larger circle in the center of it as Sun.
The smaller circle inside the oval as Earth.
And then the dot on the small circle as Self.

I said, "Do you believe God is Spirit?
..."Yes."
I said, "Do you believe God is Omnipresent?"
..."Yes."

"OK, Look at your drawing..."

Very long pause...

..."So God is everywhere?"
Raised eyebrows..."At all times. Essentially, we exist within God."
..."But that can't be..."
"Why?"
..."Because God cannot be in the presence of sin...that's why there's a hell."
"Hmmm, so conceptually, one of those two are incorrect? Let's see,
1) You believe that Jesus is God.
2) You believe that Jesus ate with sinners.
3) Yet you believe God cannot be in the presence of sin."

"Hmmm, you've got a problem."

I'm thinking this is going to take a very long time...

Very long, I’d think. But then what caused you to change?

Posts: 11528 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
From the Uk, a letter posted that I think Allan at least can appreciate!

Withnail says:
The bit that most makes me giggle is the claim that I am helping them build the earth's most customer centric company.

Enjoy

Amazon.co.uk
Message From Executive Customer Relations
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your feedback, I have forwarded this to the relevant departments.

As per my previous email, the following three posts are all considered spiteful under our review guidelines,

- Name calling in response to another customer August 20, 2016, "Dumbass"
- Implying another customer may be mentally unstable February 2, 2017, "Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. Responding to yourself is the second."
- Attempting to goad another customer into a response February 9, 2017, "We are due another flounce from him- it's been over 72hrs since the last one."

I'm afraid we are unable to provide any additional information and will not be entering into further discussions on this issue.

Regards,
Joe Ryan
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.co.uk
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Original Message
Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to reply- however I fear you have missed the point.

I don't want (nor did I ask) to be given "posting privileges". I asked you to explain in what ways you felt I was being spiteful.

Over years I have witnessed people using your discussion forums to promote peadophilia, to show support to terrorists and to eulogise the murder of homosexuals.

I have seen people poke fun at someone who was dying, laugh at a person diagnosed with cancer and hope that posters contract aids.

None of these things were addressed despite us raising those points with your service on many occasions.

You need to forgive me if I think your moral compass is slightly off if you ignore those things, but ban me for using the word "dumbass".

So to repeat, I am not asking you to restore any privileges you revoked. I am asking you to address the accusation that I was spiteful.

Michael

You replied with a later post
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
2 of 2 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you? Yes No

https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum...stomerDiscussionsNew

Posts: 11528 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one has to wonder at their consistency.

bryan j borich

Posts: 486 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very long, I’d think. But then what caused you to change?

Several things really, but the first was that what I was hearing preached (televangelists mostly) wasn't what I was understanding the Bible to say. At first I thought the problem was my understanding.

Then I bought several books on the history of Israel, then several books of sermons of renown Protestant preachers. Finally, I bought numerous books to help with word studies and a couple on the meaning of Hebrew names.

But I still had so many questions that I just couldn't quite find the answers to in the Bible. At this time I was still a posse member, and I was thinking either Christianity was schizophrenic, or that most Christians were. But I kept finding books that were clearly confirming and/or extending my understanding of what I was reading in the Bible.

And then it happened! I read a post by one of the SDA members on one of Tonya's threads. It contained a URL to a Margaret Barker speech in SLC, UT. THAT did it! Even though I fought getting any of her books (God knows I had more than my fair share of books), I was unable to resist the pull to them. And the rest, as they say, is history.

But I evidently wasn't done yet... Back into the fire with Robert Rohr, LOL! Now I'm getting to the spirituality of it that has always been there, but with so few people to discuss it with, I wasn't really sure if I was making too much of it or if I was too far out there.

So yeah, it was a long road, but the questioning, and the underlying spirituality, was always there. My sister doesn't seem to have had any of that...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I think the person has to be searching at least just a bit. But then one could argue it was the Holy Spirit that kept showing you how you should be moving!

I was questioning when I was introduced to the Campus Crusade for Christ. Nothing wasn’t fitting just wanting to better understand how thing connected together. I think, in hindsight I had already put them together subconsciously but who know. The CCC sounded just like Tinker, all what and no how! No meat either.

Things did fall apart for a while, and there are still gapping holes of how you get from A to B, but that ultimately literalism. I’m still working on what falls apart with certain believes but I don’t see the need to organize a theology that all fits together in a neat package. I admire the Catholic Church for doing that, but I disagree with some of their premises and from there there are few to bounce ideas off of. That’s really why I loved the forums, at times. Even Astrocat can spark a new perspective, as does Allan. An atheist he is not!

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Well outside of the weather. I'd have to say the last 2 days were disgusting.

Just watched a movie called Whistle Blower with Rachel Weisz, I'd watched it before, just didn't recall the title or story. In essence, it's about a white slavery ring run after the Serbian war by UN and State Dept hired cops. Similar to the cops that State might be used in Afghanistan (rinse, repeat, recycle presumably).Naturally, the bad guys get off without penalty and the good guy (or girl, in this case, gets punished).

In the meantime, we have Pruitt fighting for the chance to kill children and the elderly. Along with the rest of the stooges in office. Proving once again that humanity hates it's children.

To add to the hilarity we have Moores drug, alcohol and undoubtedly cigarette addicted kid managing his "moral whatever" foundation.

Among other related rants.

Now if we could only have NK nuke our politicians Smile   :)

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Did I forget Robert Spenser(who might not be as white as he'd like)?

Now there is the type of guy Jews run scared from, hence the creation of Israel as a place to hide.

Stupidity at it's worst.

bryan j borich

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the person has to be searching at least just a bit. But then one could argue it was the Holy Spirit that kept showing you how you should be moving!

Yeah, I do seem to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, now that I know that is my motivator! Wasn't real sure about it at first; just seemed like a nag, lol. But once I started paying attention, I started finding the answers to my questions.

quote:
I was questioning when I was introduced to the Campus Crusade for Christ. Nothing wasn’t fitting just wanting to better understand how thing connected together. I think, in hindsight I had already put them together subconsciously but who know. The CCC sounded just like Tinker, all what and no how! No meat either.

Never had an encounter with CCC. Probably just as well. I certainly didn't need or want any more confusion. I'd had enough from the posse types and that idiot dispensationalism garbage.

quote:
Things did fall apart for a while, and there are still gapping holes of how you get from A to B, but that ultimately literalism. I’m still working on what falls apart with certain believes but I don’t see the need to organize a theology that all fits together in a neat package. I admire the Catholic Church for doing that, but I disagree with some of their premises and from there there are few to bounce ideas off of. That’s really why I loved the forums, at times. Even Astrocat can spark a new perspective, as does Allan. An atheist he is not!

For a while I wasn't real sure where Astro was coming from because I was out of my depth with her.

And I agree with you about that theology stuff. I mean it provides a way to read the Scriptures, but if that is all one allows for, to the point of being indoctrinated, then the spirituality gets lost. Same holds true with literalism, imho; it stymies much of the spirituality of the Scriptures.

And yeah, Allan is certainly no atheist. He just has a problem with religion, especially the Abrahamic ones. Even so, I think he could like some of my Franciscan Priest's books.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Well outside of the weather. I'd have to say the last 2 days were disgusting.

Maybe you should just enjoy the weather...?

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I do seem to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, now that I know that is my motivator! Wasn't real sure about it at first; just seemed like a nag, lol. But once I started paying attention, I started finding the answers to my questions.

quote:

Never had an encounter with CCC. Probably just as well. I certainly didn't need or want any more confusion. I'd had enough from the posse types and that idiot dispensationalism garbage.

quote:

For a while I wasn't real sure where Astro was coming from because I was out of my depth with her.

And I agree with you about that theology stuff. I mean it provides a way to read the Scriptures, but if that is all one allows for, to the point of being indoctrinated, then the spirituality gets lost. Same holds true with literalism, imho; it stymies much of the spirituality of the Scriptures.

And yeah, Allan is certainly no atheist. He just has a problem with religion, especially the Abrahamic ones. Even so, I think he could like some of my Franciscan Priest's books.

Didn’t stay, or even really join the CCC. I just threw up my hands thinking no one knew any answers and thought no one could help!

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
She is a Nag. Sometimes good, sometimes not so much.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Well, this morning I was woken up to the Sounds of Silence, though not the one done by Simon and Garfunkel. And not to denigrate their version, the cover I was given I think is much better, as it gives Power to the song.

It's been a long time since I was woken to a song it feels like. But it used to be a regular event for awhile, usually more than once a night.

Hello darkness, my old friend
{The Holy Spirit is strongest at night with the Moon}
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
{Reminds me of the song Memories from Cats}
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence
{The sounds of silence is not actually silence, it's the avoidance of care for the other, for the betterment of all}

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People talking, but with nothing important to say or do.
People hearing only themselves. One thing I saw a lot at the local OWS

People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

Fools, said I, you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
The materialistic cultures
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
The graffitti, that written by the disenfranchised, some who become anarchists, bent on the destruction of society
And whispered in the sounds of silence

Disturbed - The Sounds of Silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

bryan j borich

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

So far for me, it has always been a good thing.

BTW, I may not be around much tonight...my oldest brother is back in the hospital with another (6th?) heart attack.

Feeling kinda tired from broken sleep and the heat and humidity aren't helping any. And for some reason, I'm missing SIA...

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Frown   :(

and

Smile   :)

bryan j borich

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So far for me, it has always been a good thing.

BTW, I may not be around much tonight...my oldest brother is back in the hospital with another (6th?) heart attack.

Feeling kinda tired from broken sleep and the heat and humidity aren't helping any. And for some reason, I'm missing SIA...

Sorry to hear your brother is back in the hospital.

I’m off to visiting in the next couple of days.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, the death of at least the uk threads was done by not recognizing your pen name, or rather claiming it is illegal. Looks like something similar happened on this side of the pond for the last few forums.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:
Life Force - God; same thing.

True. God is kind of our life force when we are at very high energy physics-wise. Literally our alpha and omega. Our first post-God life force thought physics-wise is briefly mentioned here:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paola_Zizzi

[.
[/QUOTE]

It IS all in the mind, you know.

Have been delighted by the number of scientists from a vast range of fields who agree with me that we have stuck ourselves in a variety of ruts -- orthodox/conventional thinking versus open-minded "let's see what happens when we try" this thinking.

Synchronicitously, I am re-reading the now-dated The Neandertal Enigma by James Shreeve, and it is full of this emotional thinking from a number of involved scientists in related fields. It gets downright personal, almost along the lines of "I'm right, and all those disagreeing with me are idiots."

Sweetly for me, they are all confirming what I have argued for quite some time now; we do get stuck in ruts, and need to set time aside to start all over again from the beginning.

In terms of what little they actually knew, it was perfectly logical for our hunter-gatherer ancestors to hypothesise that everything they could not understand might well be the actions of super-human agents. They had no good cause to think otherwise.

Then the Greeks came along.

Their science found answers, and the deities started to become redundant.

Until Constantine came along and concretised Christianity -- we ALL know he did this purely for practical political reasons.

Up until less than a century ago it often was fatal for scientists to bring up anything which threatened the existence of God; think Bruno.

It has been years since I read Edward Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, and remember seeing, perhaps in a review, Gibbons had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he wrote about what really happened with the political use of Christianity in that empire. He did so for his own safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._of_the_Roman_Empire
Numerous tracts were published criticising his work. In response, Gibbon defended his work with the 1779 publication of, A Vindication ... of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.[13] His remarks on Christianity aroused particularly vigorous attacks, but in the mid-twentieth century, at least one author claimed that "church historians allow the substantial justness of [Gibbon's] main positions."[14]
Number of Christian martyrs
Gibbon challenged Church history by estimating far smaller numbers of Christian martyrs than had been traditionally accepted. **The Church's version of its early history had rarely been questioned before. Gibbon, however, knew that modern Church writings were secondary sources, and he shunned them in favor of primary sources.

Delightfully, Shreeve opens up a discussion right in line with my thoughts. What happened when we started to use words? It seems (we do not know) that our Neanderthal cousins did not have the same throat structure we have. If so, it was far easier for us to start talking, and once we started ...

We know writing and perhaps even arithmetic initially began primarily in trading; "I am sending you a tablet showing I have provided you with X number of bushels of wheat and you now owe me Y number of shekels."

Took quite a while before we started writing down histories of kings, even longer before we wrote down mythologies and stories for entertainment. We need to remember that, some four or five thousand years later, there still are oral story tellers in a number of cultures who rely on memory alone.

We can't even guarantee we have the right definition of the words used by the Bible writers, have no understanding of the connotations, and even less understanding of what they left out because it was so well known such repetition would have been pointless.

There there is punctuation, which did not exist back then.

If you have any doubts about the importance of punctuation, try this one; punctuate it so it says what YOU believe:

woman without her man is nothing

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3419 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post