Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 50
Go To
Post
Search BB
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Reply
  
Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
On a seperate note, got some discounts on renting movies last weekend I made use of. The first being Wonderman, the second being the latest Ape movie, Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

I'll give Gadot a plus for doing a good job I think of being Wonderwoman (at least in replicating the TV series version). But I admit I have problems with dealing with her personal politics and the personality of the character in the movie. She is a Zionist, and there is too close a connection between Zionism and Nazism for me to be comfortable with. I still hear the Jewish dead crying out against Zionism as practiced.

Now, as for the Battle for the Planet of the Apes, this is I think an excellent movie in it's own right. And maybe the best of the Ape movies. The little girl effectively steals the movie. It's much more a character drama then an action flick.

And of course there ended up being a message of the musical sort,

To be Human -SIA feat Labyrinth from Wonderwoman soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1-h9zUPN3Y


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Which it seems led to another song today,


Angel by the wings - Sia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXfLirBwBKY


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Unless your brothers are willing to babysit mother, they have no room to talk to be honest.


Yep.

quote:
And so long as you find a good nursing home, odds are she'd actually be better off there, if she's up to it there would be more interaction with others that would stimulate her brain. The major problem I'd have is not having one's own room.

And, of course, they are all free to visit.


Yep. Baby sis checked it out (in fact, she used to work there). She didn't like it before, but it is now under new ownership and is cleaner, secure enough for wanderers, and they make an effort to place them with suitable roomies.

Mom has 2 roomies and her chair and bed are near a big picture window. She always liked watching the birds and squirrels. She also spends more time in scheduled activities than watching TV and wandering around.

quote:
And regardless of whether she remembers the dinner, they do. So that works too.


True that.

quote:
One problem I had, was my limited transportation to wherever my grandmother was at the time (and my laziness at wanting to make the effort I admit too). On the other hand, at least the ones she was in all seemed to be good facilities.


I've talked to mom a couple of times since she's been there and she has never complained. Haven't heard the boys complain about her care there either.

For me the problem is the 260 mile round trip - which doesn't sound like much unless you have a bad back. I cannot manage it on my own in a day, so I would have to have someone else drive. And even that would more than whoop my butt.

Made a 60 mile round trip to my sis' today. Got my hair cut, had lunch with sis, and we went to Whole Foods. Got the fixings for Rueben sandwiches and some beef for soup (for which sis had made me some cornbread!) and a couple of deserts. By the time I got back home, my back was a wreck. Had to call the lawn guy to come bring the groceries in and take out the trash and recycle. After I put the fridge and freezer stuff away and fed the ferals, all I could do was collapse into bed. Didn't move a muscle for 3 straight hours! And I still feel like somebody whooped my butt.

Gonna be an early night for me.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Hopefully, your brothers think it through.


Yeah. But I'm learning that there may be more to this than just 'the nursing home' issue. Seems baby sis also went through all of mom's money... Of course, sis went through all of her own money first. Even so, the prudent thing would to have put mom in the nursing home before she came to the end of her own funds 'cause she knew mom's money was specifically for her own funeral. We all knew it.

quote:
I'd be tempted to mention that if they have so much money for a lawyer they can surely pay for 24/7 nursing so she could stay at home.


They are such silly little boys! They thought all they had to do was call the police and that she would be arrested for "stealing" mom's money. But when sis produced the power of attorney papers...

quote:
The fact that she is such a short distance away and you all have transportation makes it easy to visit on a regular basis. Heck there are almost enough of you to make daily visits once a week.


Well it certainly makes it easy for the 4 of them! But 2 live in the Atlanta area, 2 live in Florida (Tallahassee/Orlando), and 1 lives in Tennessee. Oh, but the sis I spent the day with spoke to mom and found out that 2 of the local brothers picked mom up and played Driving Miss Daisy with her for a bit today! I can only hope that they aren't badgering her in an attempt to stir her up against baby sis. That is their usual way of handling things...

quote:
In regards to cortisol, my levels might be low.

In regards to stress, that might be a problem. I've had an on again, off again rash problem that my GP thought might be caused by stress. I need to see him/her soon again too.

Oh, and it seems my daughter has hives and an allergy problem, cause unknown, told her to keep a food diary.

[and i once flunked kindergarten because I gave the teacher hives]


Hmmm, are you sure it's hives? Could it possibly be psoriasis?

But if it is an allergy, a food diary is an excellent idea...but include medications as well. They can be real boogers.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
On a seperate note, got some discounts on renting movies last weekend I made use of. The first being Wonderman, the second being the latest Ape movie, Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

I'll give Gadot a plus for doing a good job I think of being Wonderwoman (at least in replicating the TV series version). But I admit I have problems with dealing with her personal politics and the personality of the character in the movie. She is a Zionist, and there is too close a connection between Zionism and Nazism for me to be comfortable with. I still hear the Jewish dead crying out against Zionism as practiced.

Now, as for the Battle for the Planet of the Apes, this is I think an excellent movie in it's own right. And maybe the best of the Ape movies. The little girl effectively steals the movie. It's much more a character drama then an action flick.

And of course there ended up being a message of the musical sort,

To be Human -SIA feat Labyrinth from Wonderwoman soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1-h9zUPN3Y


Never even heard of Sia before (well, except our SIA), but I liked both of the songs you posted.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
And another,


Never give up - Sia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s43sptuwkvA


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Hopefully, your brothers think it through.


Yeah. But I'm learning that there may be more to this than just 'the nursing home' issue. Seems baby sis also went through all of mom's money... Of course, sis went through all of her own money first. Even so, the prudent thing would to have put mom in the nursing home before she came to the end of her own funds 'cause she knew mom's money was specifically for her own funeral. We all knew it.

quote:
I'd be tempted to mention that if they have so much money for a lawyer they can surely pay for 24/7 nursing so she could stay at home.


They are such silly little boys! They thought all they had to do was call the police and that she would be arrested for "stealing" mom's money. But when sis produced the power of attorney papers...

quote:
The fact that she is such a short distance away and you all have transportation makes it easy to visit on a regular basis. Heck there are almost enough of you to make daily visits once a week.


Well it certainly makes it easy for the 4 of them! But 2 live in the Atlanta area, 2 live in Florida (Tallahassee/Orlando), and 1 lives in Tennessee. Oh, but the sis I spent the day with spoke to mom and found out that 2 of the local brothers picked mom up and played Driving Miss Daisy with her for a bit today! I can only hope that they aren't badgering her in an attempt to stir her up against baby sis. That is their usual way of handling things...

quote:
In regards to cortisol, my levels might be low.

In regards to stress, that might be a problem. I've had an on again, off again rash problem that my GP thought might be caused by stress. I need to see him/her soon again too.

Oh, and it seems my daughter has hives and an allergy problem, cause unknown, told her to keep a food diary.

[and i once flunked kindergarten because I gave the teacher hives]


Hmmm, are you sure it's hives? Could it possibly be psoriasis?

But if it is an allergy, a food diary is an excellent idea...but include medications as well. They can be real boogers.


Her doctors said allergy so far, just can't narrow down what type. And the hives I guess is from something else?

They don't appear having her see a specialist from what she's said yet.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Her doctors said allergy so far, just can't narrow down what type. And the hives I guess is from something else?

They don't appear having her see a specialist from what she's said yet.


Hives are usually a reaction to allergens. IOW, an allergy symptom.

I've had my body covered in them from an allergic reaction to latex...along with a few other equally pesky symptoms.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Hopefully, your brothers think it through.


Yeah. But I'm learning that there may be more to this than just 'the nursing home' issue. Seems baby sis also went through all of mom's money... Of course, sis went through all of her own money first. Even so, the prudent thing would to have put mom in the nursing home before she came to the end of her own funds 'cause she knew mom's money was specifically for her own funeral. We all knew it.

They are such silly little boys! They thought all they had to do was call the police and that she would be arrested for "stealing" mom's money. But when sis produced the power of attorney papers...



Well it certainly makes it easy for the 4 of them! But 2 live in the Atlanta area, 2 live in Florida (Tallahassee/Orlando), and 1 lives in Tennessee. Oh, but the sis I spent the day with spoke to mom and found out that 2 of the local brothers picked mom up and played Driving Miss Daisy with her for a bit today! I can only hope that they aren't badgering her in an attempt to stir her up against baby sis. That is their usual way of handling things...



Funerals are rather expensive things. And even without that, there are costs that might be incurred at the nursing home that SS doesn't cover.

In my grandmother's case, I was lucky, she had $20 extra per month, they got her clothes free, so the only extra expense was having her hair done periodically.


It most be nice having such a dysfunctional family. Smile   :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Funerals are rather expensive things. And even without that, there are costs that might be incurred at the nursing home that SS doesn't cover.

In my grandmother's case, I was lucky, she had $20 extra per month, they got her clothes free, so the only extra expense was having her hair done periodically.


It most be nice having such a dysfunctional family. Smile   :)


Yes, funerals are expensive! And mom decided long ago to save the funds for hers rather than buy an insurance policy.

Baby sis said mom gets to keep $50 per month from her SS check, but we girls can easily provide mom with all the essentials she will need for clothing, bathing, lotions, perfume, etc. And since mom has long straight hair, the only 'do' she allows is a ponytail, lol. A simple shampoo in the shower and she is ready to go; doesn't even bother to blow it dry, although we have, from time to time, taken her to have her hair 'piled up', as mom calls it, for special occasions, but she isn't real keen on it.

And yeah, we are a dysfunctional bunch. Three of the boys are the Tonya Mills type, the oldest having shades of Mary Russell as well, the sis I spent the day with is a timid legalistic type (although she is slowly moving away from that) and an excellent money manager, baby sis always waits until she runs out of rope before she looks for options, 1 brother has a volatile personality and loves nothing better than to keep everyone's adrenaline pumping (including his own), 1 sis (in FL) loves to confront the crazy boyz just for the exercise, 1 brother (in TN we think) is AWOL, and I try real hard to keep away from as much of the drama as possible, although I've slammed-dunked several of them from time to time.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
One more song by Sia, good video in it's way.

Loved me back to life - Sia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71iyZAIdZHM


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Funerals are rather expensive things. And even without that, there are costs that might be incurred at the nursing home that SS doesn't cover.

In my grandmother's case, I was lucky, she had $20 extra per month, they got her clothes free, so the only extra expense was having her hair done periodically.


It most be nice having such a dysfunctional family. Smile   :)


Yes, funerals are expensive! And mom decided long ago to save the funds for hers rather than buy an insurance policy.

Baby sis said mom gets to keep $50 per month from her SS check, but we girls can easily provide mom with all the essentials she will need for clothing, bathing, lotions, perfume, etc. And since mom has long straight hair, the only 'do' she allows is a ponytail, lol. A simple shampoo in the shower and she is ready to go; doesn't even bother to blow it dry, although we have, from time to time, taken her to have her hair 'piled up', as mom calls it, for special occasions, but she isn't real keen on it.

And yeah, we are a dysfunctional bunch. Three of the boys are the Tonya Mills type, the oldest having shades of Mary Russell as well, the sis I spent the day with is a timid legalistic type (although she is slowly moving away from that) and an excellent money manager, baby sis always waits until she runs out of rope before she looks for options, 1 brother has a volatile personality and loves nothing better than to keep everyone's adrenaline pumping (including his own), 1 sis (in FL) loves to confront the crazy boyz just for the exercise, 1 brother (in TN we think) is AWOL, and I try real hard to keep away from as much of the drama as possible, although I've slammed-dunked several of them from time to time.


My grandmother didn't need much in hair care, just cutting periodically. And soaps, etc.... are provided. I'm not sure providing your own would be useful. Too likely to either not be used, or mixed up with the other residents.

Time to start saving for the funeral, or see if insurance is still an option. Personally for me, just burn me up and blow me away.

And for what it's worth it seems most families are dysfunctional.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Time to start saving for the funeral, or see if insurance is still an option. Personally for me, just burn me up and blow me away.

And for what it's worth it seems most families are dysfunctional.


Yep, even though baby sis is emphatic that she will replace mom's funds, we don't know how much longer we will have her with us. And the chances are pretty good that we will have lost the older brother even before mom, and his funeral expenses will most certainly have to come from our pockets 'cause his money was better spent on boy toys.

In fact, mom, the sis I spent yesterday with, the brother in FL, and myself are the only ones who have ever bothered to ensure their funeral expenses are provided for. The rest figure they'll be dead and won't have to worry about it. Pretty sorry attitude. Think I'm gonna suggest that they all sign their corpses over to medical science upon their deaths. That should reduce our expense quite a bit, ya think?

Don't know about most families being dysfunctional, but we are certainly among them.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...o-back-trump-n824001

The interesting part is what category of people he puts Trump with.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Time to start saving for the funeral, or see if insurance is still an option. Personally for me, just burn me up and blow me away.

And for what it's worth it seems most families are dysfunctional.


Yep, even though baby sis is emphatic that she will replace mom's funds, we don't know how much longer we will have her with us. And the chances are pretty good that we will have lost the older brother even before mom, and his funeral expenses will most certainly have to come from our pockets 'cause his money was better spent on boy toys.

In fact, mom, the sis I spent yesterday with, the brother in FL, and myself are the only ones who have ever bothered to ensure their funeral expenses are provided for. The rest figure they'll be dead and won't have to worry about it. Pretty sorry attitude. Think I'm gonna suggest that they all sign their corpses over to medical science upon their deaths. That should reduce our expense quite a bit, ya think?

Don't know about most families being dysfunctional, but we are certainly among them.


The medical science donation bit might work. As might the general 'paupers death' depending on how it works where they live.

Other option is offering them to Baal as sacrifices (cremation), much cheaper, and maybe bury them with mom in the same coffin?

As for dysfunctional families, I don't recall ever meeting a fully functional family. In a world where most of humanity is insane, such a family would be rare.


p.s. I used to have insurance for death. Had to use it though to qualify for government assistance.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:


He should just ask TDM!

But by just keeping my mouth shut around my Evangelical siblings, I've learned that they hope the liddle trumpeter:
1) will uphold Israel in all things
2) will pave the way for Evangelicals to wrangle their way into his administration allowing them to "take over the government"
3) but failing the first 2, will prove to be the antichrist and usher in the apocalypse so they can be "raptured" and watch the "tribulation" from the balconies of heaven

Not to mention that since he is bigoted, they feel free to display their bigotry.

They really are a sick lot.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Other option is offering them to Baal as sacrifices (cremation), much cheaper, and maybe bury them with mom in the same coffin?


When my s-i-l had her mother cremated, it only reduced the cost by about 50%. IIRC, a funeral generally costs about $7,000 in a small rural town. Cremation costs about $4,000.

And why bury the ashes when digging a grave or digging up a grave just adds more to the costs? I'd vote for sprinkling them on a mountainside.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6585 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Other option is offering them to Baal as sacrifices (cremation), much cheaper, and maybe bury them with mom in the same coffin?


When my s-i-l had her mother cremated, it only reduced the cost by about 50%. IIRC, a funeral generally costs about $7,000 in a small rural town. Cremation costs about $4,000.

And why bury the ashes when digging a grave or digging up a grave just adds more to the costs? I'd vote for sprinkling them on a mountainside.


Hmmm, both the cremations I did cost $800.

Btw I added a small comment about the archbishop, noted that he compared Trump to rulers in conflict zones.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:


He should just ask TDM!

But by just keeping my mouth shut around my Evangelical siblings, I've learned that they hope the liddle trumpeter:
1) will uphold Israel in all things
2) will pave the way for Evangelicals to wrangle their way into his administration allowing them to "take over the government"
3) but failing the first 2, will prove to be the antichrist and usher in the apocalypse so they can be "raptured" and watch the "tribulation" from the balconies of heaven

They really are a sick lot.


1. Trump could care less about Israel or Jews. Not to mention no true Israel exists yet as anyone who's read the Bible would know.
2. Only if Pence takes over. Not mind you that he's a Christian in any sense of the word, just as most evangelicals fail to be.
3. There are more than enough evangelicals and other Christians that fit the profile of an Anti-christ. Heck, Pence might even make a good candidate. Trump is just a self-admitted worshipper of Mammon (as is Pence to some extent).


I just read an interesting series called Earthseed by Octavia Butler. Good series, in it is a fundamentalist type that becomes President who bears some resemblance between Trump and a neo-nazi evangelist.

Although not a good book for me to read in part because of having to deal with the religionists in the book. Luckily they play a mostly small part.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
On sale today,

Psychic power of Animals
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFU6RN4?tag=ebbdaily-20

Pets are more than companions. The animals we share our lives with are channels to another world. Documentation exists that proves animals do indeed possess a sixth sense. Discover the mysterious and fantastic revelations about dogs who trace their masters across vast distances; dogs who read minds; dolphins as super beings; conversations between people and animals; the strange friendship between Native Americans and rattlesnakes; animals who reside in pyramids; the German shepherd who taught meditation; the amazing ability of animals to think and reason; and much more that will forever change the way you look at animals.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata       Page: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 50 
 

    Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?

© 2003-2020 Aantares Online LLC. All Rights Reserved.