Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
It is now 11:00 AM and it is ALL SNOW! Big, fluffy flakes.

Looks nice now, but the black ice expected by tomorrow morning ain't gonna be nice at all.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/loca...ro-atlanta/660133761

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6580 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
"We're spending ourselves into bankruptcy," Hatch said. "Now, let's just be honest about it: We're in trouble. This country is in deep debt. You don't help the poor by not solving the problems of debt, and you don't help the poor by continually pushing more and more liberal programs through."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20171206-story.html

==================

Read. Now that we have increased the national debt by upwards of a trillion by lowering taxes mostly on the wealthy. We now have to cut money to the poor.

P.S. We also need a larger military because ours is too small.

I am hoping that the Republicans will fail miserably in their efforts to pass what they call entitlement reform. As the article points out, they failed to repeal Obamacare in the Senate, so their chances of doing what they want to do to Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Food Stamps, and cash aid to poor families seem slim.

I have never understood the Republican reasoning- let's cut the deficit by cutting our income (cutting taxes). It has been proven already that corporations don't expand and hire more workers when their taxes go down. It does not stimulate the economy.

One of the things to watch for in any Medicare cuts is what happens to the military who were forced into the program rather than continue in the Free program they were promised. It used to make my Mom really irritated that she had to now pay for what was promised as a life long benefit. The problem will diminish as the baby boomers die out, the current recruits have no such promises.

Reed, I didn't know that about the military and medicare. I will be watching for those possible cuts, too.

Vicki

Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
@JR,

You want to tell Mrs Exp I'm going to play Punch vs her Jody(judy) unless she drops in. I'm just not feeling that love.

LOL, you think that'll get her attention?

But yeah, I'll drop her a line. Wanted to let her know that we're expecting our first snow tonight into tomorrow! Can't remember when we've ever had snow before Christmas.

Our high today was only 48 but we aren't expecting freezing temps (28) until tomorrow night, so I don't see it sticking since it won't be falling on frozen ground. Our high tomorrow is only expected to reach 39! Damp and 39 is down right chilly!!!

College station Texas has over 4 inches, iirc. And no there usually isn’t snow there and certainly not this early. I remember snow in Jax, fla but again more like February.

We are expected to miss anything other than a few flakes.

Here, in northern Idaho, we had an early Novemeber snow that ended up melting about two weeks later. This December we have no snow on the ground at the elevation where we live, although there is snow in the mountains around us. Our highs this week have run in the low to mid thirties and we get only some glimpses of blue sky.

Vicki

Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Actually the Hebrews did not believe that everything belonged to them. They believed God, that He would fight for them, and that He had given them a certain swatch of land and they had to obey Him in order to keep it. It is an entirely different mindset than the one you are suggesting.

Ah, Vicki. I thought we had agreed not to get into any such dispute?

I spent my entire life involved in one way or another in politics.

Politics goes back more than some 10,000 years, and it is not possible to exclude its ramifications in any culture.

According to one (Ultra)-Orthodox Jew I chatted with, there were NO Hebrews before Yahweh revealed himself to the boy Abram.

However, he was adamant that, in God's own time, the Jews would become, in effect, the Master Race ruling the entire world.

In their deity's name, of course.

He is far from alone in thinking that, while far more Jews today do not share his views.

However, the Torah, the Tanakh, the Talmud, all point in that direction.

http://www.jcpa.org/dje/books/kincon-ch1.htm
The thesis of this volume is that there is a Jewish political tradition whose origins are to be found in the Bible, a tradition which emerged at the very beginning of the existence of the Jewish people and which has continued to influence Jewish political and communal life ever since. The basis of that political tradition is to be found in the biblical idea of covenant and in the political principles and processes which flow from it. The biblical political teaching as manifest in the Jewish political tradition is an important political teaching for Jews and non-Jews alike and has been so recognized throughout the Western world. At crucial moments in Western history its influence has been decisive. Nevertheless, after surviving changes of constitution and regime, exile and dispersion, the Jewish political tradition has been nearly lost in our times, for Jews as well as non-Jews, precisely at the threshold of the renewal of full Jewish political life, and needs to be recovered by systematic effort so that it may fill a vital and needed role in contemporary Jewish life, both in Israel and in the diaspora.
...It can be said that, in Jewish tradition, the ties of covenant are the concretization of the relationship of dialogue which, when addressed to God make man holy and, when addressed to one's fellows, make men human. As the Bible itself makes clear, the covenantal bonds transform what most religions understood as a mystical union into a real one, making life -- including political life -- possible in an all-too-real world. In many ways, the progress of civilization can be traced as corresponding to the periods in human history when significant groups of people have recognized the covenant idea and sought to concretely apply it to the building of human, political and social relationships.
...As already suggested, from the political perspective the Sinai covenant is reminiscent of a social compact in that it provides the political and social framework for constitution-making but not the constitution itself. The restatement of the Sinai covenant in Deuteronomy is constructed along more explicitly political-legal lines, the pattern characteristic of that book.11 The Exodus and the Sinai covenant usher in an epoch in Jewish history, the principal political manifestation of which was the tribal federation. During this epoch, the Jewish people clearly began to forge its unique blend of kinship and consent as the basis of its political life, transcending the real or putative links of kinship which characterize tribal society to add the dimension of deliberate consent -- one of the outstanding manifestations of the covenant idea -- without destroying the people's or the polity's tribal base.12

Plenty of politics here, is there not?

Just how it is to be interpreted is a matter of choice, of course.

Since Deuteronomy addresses how the people will govern themselves when they are in the land, I agree that there are "plenty of politics here"

Were you referring to Big Shmooz earlier in your post? If I remember correctly, he was referring to a time when Messiah would rule the nations from Jerusalem. This was something he believed that God would put into place.

Vicki

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
"We're spending ourselves into bankruptcy," Hatch said. "Now, let's just be honest about it: We're in trouble. This country is in deep debt. You don't help the poor by not solving the problems of debt, and you don't help the poor by continually pushing more and more liberal programs through."

==================

Read. Now that we have increased the national debt by upwards of a trillion by lowering taxes mostly on the wealthy. We now have to cut money to the poor.

I am hoping that the Republicans will fail miserably in their efforts to pass what they call entitlement reform. As the article points out, they failed to repeal Obamacare in the Senate, so their chances of doing what they want to do to Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Food Stamps, and cash aid to poor families seem slim.

I have never understood the Republican reasoning- let's cut the deficit by cutting our income (cutting taxes). It has been proven already that corporations don't expand and hire more workers when their taxes go down. It does not stimulate the economy.

One of the things to watch for in any Medicare cuts is what happens to the military who were forced into the program rather than continue in the Free program they were promised. It used to make my Mom really irritated that she had to now pay for what was promised as a life long benefit. The problem will diminish as the baby boomers die out, the current recruits have no such promises.

Reed, I didn't know that about the military and medicare. I will be watching for those possible cuts, too.

My point, of course, was that the military healthcare gets cut for retires when Medicare is cut. Nevertheless, there are some things that could be fixed in Medicare, for example non discounting of prescription drugs in Part D. That doesn’t effect the military, in general but could lower the costs to everyone as well as close the donut hole. It could also change the extra tiering necessary to fund Part D, that makes health care insurance premiums based on income. I believe that was Bush W. that created that tax, so to speak. Something needs to be done about the 3 nights as an admitted patient, as opposed to being in the hospital for 3 nights as a trigger for nursing home approval. The games are getting ridiculous and thus every patient needs an advocate that can force the admission, or delay the release to a nursing home. While not exactly cuts to Medicare the admission problem could cut costs. If a stroke patient is quickly stabilized what can’t they be released in 2 days to rehab?

Posts: 10807 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
@JR,

You want to tell Mrs Exp I'm going to play Punch vs her Jody(judy) unless she drops in. I'm just not feeling that love.

But yeah, I'll drop her a line. Wanted to let her know that we're expecting our first snow tonight into tomorrow! Can't remember when we've ever had snow before Christmas.

Our high today was only 48 but we aren't expecting freezing temps (28) until tomorrow night, so I don't see it sticking since it won't be falling on frozen ground. Our high tomorrow is only expected to reach 39! Damp and 39 is down right chilly!!!

College station Texas has over 4 inches, iirc. And no there usually isn’t snow there and certainly not this early. I remember snow in Jax, fla but again more like February.

Here, in northern Idaho, we had an early Novemeber snow that ended up melting about two weeks later. This December we have no snow on the ground at the elevation where we live, although there is snow in the mountains around us. Our highs this week have run in the low to mid thirties and we get only some glimpses of blue sky.

It doesn’t take much snow in areas that have no equipment for it to totally immobilize a town!

Posts: 10807 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
@JR,

It doesn’t take much snow in areas that have no equipment for it to totally immobilize a town!

Well, so much for it not sticking...there is about 4 inches on the ground right now and it is still coming down - and I'm on the south side of Atlanta! My sis on the north side has about 6 inches, and my brothers and sis up in the northeast corner of GA have a foot or more! Wondering if my Amazon Fresh order will arrive this morning by 10 AM.

Got an email from mrs exp that she had tried to logon here but was getting a warning message. But I found that she was using the wrong url. I gave her instructions, but I see she hasn't quite figured it out just yet. I'll try to make contact with her again.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
@JR,

Well, so much for it not sticking...there is about 4 inches on the ground right now and it is still coming down - and I'm on the south side of Atlanta! My sis on the north side has about 6 inches, and my brothers and sis up in the northeast corner of GA have a foot or more! Wondering if my Amazon Fresh order will arrive this morning by 10 AM.

Got an email from mrs exp that she had tried to logon here but was getting a warning message. But I found that she was using the wrong url. I gave her instructions, but I see she hasn't quite figured it out just yet. I'll try to make contact with her again.

Wow! That's a lot of snow for your part of the country. Do towns even have equipment for snow removal in Georgia?

I sure hope that mrs exp does start posting here. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to navigate and post here, though.

Vicki

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! That's a lot of snow for your part of the country. Do towns even have equipment for snow removal in Georgia?

I sure hope that mrs exp does start posting here. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to navigate and post here, though.

Yeah, it is a lot! The northern counties of GA have sufficient snow removal equipment to clear the main roads, but few, if any, ever clear residential areas.

Most cities below Atlanta have little or none.

Atlanta now has decent snow removal equipment, but from past experience in traffic gridlock, most drivers panic when snow starts to fall and they clog the highways before the equipment can get into place.

The real trouble is that it is sometimes very difficult to determine exactly WHEN the snow will arrive so that the salt trucks can get ahead of it on the bridges and overpasses. This time we had lots of warning even though it arrived a little earlier and more of it than initially anticipated.

I was concerned that my Amazon Fresh order wouldn't arrive this morning, but it was here right at 9 AM!

And yeah, I hope mrs exp manages to figure it out too. I really miss her here.

Don't worry, experience is a good teacher - you will get the hang of it I'm sure.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

I received a new reason to settle Israel this morning,

"AviS

It's hard to read Devarim, Yehoshua, Shmuel and Melachim and come to the conclusion that conquest of land is not a Torah value. Or at least a Torah-sanctioned, if not commanded, act. Certainly the distinctions are meaningless."

Politics pure and simple.

Every single relevant culture of the time saw itself as the Chosen People of the deity who had been appointed by the supreme deity as their patron deity, deity of a given selection of country.

An irrelevant group of impoverished tribes took this a logical, political, step further. They announced only their deity existed, everything belonged to him, therefore, as his Chosen People, everything belonged to them.

No different from the British Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Actually the Hebrews did not believe that everything belonged to them. They believed God, that He would fight for them, and that He had given them a certain swatch of land and they had to obey Him in order to keep it. It is an entirely different mindset than the one you are suggesting.

Actually, for the most part they rejected God except when it sometimes served their purpose.

As the Torah says, Jews love death.

They definitely had their ups and downs. God spoke through His prophets about how both Israel and Judah fell short and why they were deported. The cool thing is that he didn't abandon them. He enabled them to return to the land.

To a land, which hasn't happened yet.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

==================

Rubio announced yesterday(?) that the Republicans will be cutting Medicare, Social Security and Welfare. That they have to get the money to pay for the tax cuts.

Whether they'll be actually cuts is open for debate, like in Social Security talk is just about changing the retirement age so far.

Some changes do need to be made to Medicare and Social Security due to solvency issues, but it's not like the politicians have ever had the balls to do so.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, for the most part they rejected God except when it sometimes served their purpose.

quote:
They definitely had their ups and downs. God spoke through His prophets about how both Israel and Judah fell short and why they were deported. The cool thing is that he didn't abandon them. He enabled them to return to the land.

quote:

Yep, according to the Bible, Israel and Judah will return when God gives it to them.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...pulation_by_country:
"The world's core Jewish population was estimated at 14.41 million in 2016.

While dozens of countries host at least a small Jewish population, the community is concentrated in a handful: Israel and the United States account for 83% of the Jewish population, while a total of 98 countries host the other 17%.

With just over 6.5 million Jews, Israel is the only Jewish majority and explicitly Jewish state. Jewish population figures for the United States are contested, ranging between 5.7 and 6.8 million."

Many of the USA Jews hold dual citizenship and clearly prefer to live here than in Israel.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Some pics of our snow storm from Georgia:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/phot...snow-storm/661487217

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
An interesting read, Seniors on wheels,

https://www.theguardian.com/co...-cars-working-amazon

At the same time, the top 1% now makes 81 times more than those in the bottom half do, when you compare average earnings. For American adults on the lower half of the income ladder – some 117 million of them – earnings haven’t changed since the 1970s.

This is not a wage gap – it’s a chasm.

The most widely accepted measure for calculating income inequality is a century-old formula called the Gini coefficient. What it reveals is startling. Today the United States has the most unequal society of all developed nations. America’s level of inequality is comparable to that of Russia, China, Argentina and the war-torn Democratic Republic of the Congo.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some pics of our snow storm from Georgia:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/phot...snow-storm/661487217

Nice

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep, according to the Bible, Israel and Judah will return when God gives it to them.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...pulation_by_country:
"The world's core Jewish population was estimated at 14.41 million in 2016.

While dozens of countries host at least a small Jewish population, the community is concentrated in a handful: Israel and the United States account for 83% of the Jewish population, while a total of 98 countries host the other 17%.

With just over 6.5 million Jews, Israel is the only Jewish majority and explicitly Jewish state. Jewish population figures for the United States are contested, ranging between 5.7 and 6.8 million."

Many of the USA Jews hold dual citizenship and clearly prefer to live here than in Israel.

I think, but I haven't done an official headcount, but most of mine live in Europe I believe. One was in France but heading to Germany. She'd left Israel.

As for Israel and Judah returning, I'm not even sure it states where they will go to, plus we have the new Jerusalem being built.

bryan j borich

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
@JR,

We got skipped with even the flakes, but then we have snow plows so 4-6 inches of snow barely slows us down out here in the sticks! I’ve, because of the curves and slopes of the road locally is more of a problem. I can drive around the biggest mountains especially the one with a section of 10% grade, combines with some 8%s. Then since I don’t work I don’t deal with it, I justhave to accept that the route UPS drives here may be snowed so they’ll cancel delivery. Even though the leg back to their Depot is snow free! Makes me mad sometimes that they cancel the whole route when I’m waiting for something and was out and could have picked it up.

If there is snow on those grades they are actually plowed early as major roads but they have areas that are shaded. The truck route has lesser slopes more shade.

Stay safe. Hope to see Mrs E soon!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
@JR,

The back button is what I use most to get back to where I was. At one time clicking on the folder would get me back too.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, it is a lot! The northern counties of GA have sufficient snow removal equipment to clear the main roads, but few, if any, ever clear residential areas.

Most cities below Atlanta have little or none.

Atlanta now has decent snow removal equipment, but from past experience in traffic gridlock, most drivers panic when snow starts to fall and they clog the highways before the equipment can get into place.

The real trouble is that it is sometimes very difficult to determine exactly WHEN the snow will arrive so that the salt trucks can get ahead of it on the bridges and overpasses. This time we had lots of warning even though it arrived a little earlier and more of it than initially anticipated.

I was concerned that my Amazon Fresh order wouldn't arrive this morning, but it was here right at 9 AM!

And yeah, I hope mrs exp manages to figure it out too. I really miss her here.

Don't worry, experience is a good teacher - you will get the hang of it I'm sure.

I remember one mayor whose attitude was what God provided, God can take away, and said it on the news! Glad to hear you have a bit of equipment now. And, northern Virginia had similar problems with panic and people who did understand that 4 wheel drive was 4 wheel slide if they had to stop on morning traffic roads that were refreshing!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

==================

Rubio announced yesterday(?) that the Republicans will be cutting Medicare, Social Security and Welfare. That they have to get the money to pay for the tax cuts.

Whether they'll be actually cuts is open for debate, like in Social Security talk is just about changing the retirement age so far.

Some changes do need to be made to Medicare and Social Security due to solvency issues, but it's not like the politicians have ever had the balls to do so.

The cuts I last saw proposed for Social security was a means test. Those usually don’t include those already receiving benefits though. They certainly could remove the contribution cap while keeping the max benefit at a lower amount. Medicare can’t disqualify people by means as they need the extra premiums that George W added.it seems foolish to remove the additional tax that Obama added too, although it seems unfair for premiums to be based on income alone. Medicare’s solvency is in part because of a law that keeps premiums from rising more than a COLA for those paying the main amount. Currently the premium is supposed to contribute no less than 25% of the actual costs! I see hospital groups setting themselves up to be able to work as universal health systems due to some requirements that there be a motivation for no re entries into hospitals for what they were first admitted for, that is discharged too early or with too poor of a treatment. Time will tell.