Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
An interesting read, Seniors on wheels,

https://www.theguardian.com/co...-cars-working-amazon

At the same time, the top 1% now makes 81 times more than those in the bottom half do, when you compare average earnings. For American adults on the lower half of the income ladder – some 117 million of them – earnings haven’t changed since the 1970s.

This is not a wage gap – it’s a chasm.

The most widely accepted measure for calculating income inequality is a century-old formula called the Gini coefficient. What it reveals is startling. Today the United States has the most unequal society of all developed nations. America’s level of inequality is comparable to that of Russia, China, Argentina and the war-torn Democratic Republic of the Congo.

India still has a clear caste system!

To me the chasm you are speaking about happens when pension, non government, don’t have ColaS if they are unable to invest in such a way as to keep their funds growing the chasm widens. Even those who were in safe CDs now cannot make the interested needed to stop them from falling farther behind. And I remember in the 90s where CD rates dropped such that retirees were truly worried.

To me if your money is only going to depreciate it seems that many reason why bother saving, it isn’t going to help.

Posts: 10875 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
quote:
quote:
quote:
"We're spending ourselves into bankruptcy," Hatch said. "Now, let's just be honest about it: We're in trouble. This country is in deep debt. You don't help the poor by not solving the problems of debt, and you don't help the poor by continually pushing more and more liberal programs through."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20171206-story.html

==================

Read. Now that we have increased the national debt by upwards of a trillion by lowering taxes mostly on the wealthy. We now have to cut money to the poor.

P.S. We also need a larger military because ours is too small.

I am hoping that the Republicans will fail miserably in their efforts to pass what they call entitlement reform. As the article points out, they failed to repeal Obamacare in the Senate, so their chances of doing what they want to do to Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Food Stamps, and cash aid to poor families seem slim.

I have never understood the Republican reasoning- let's cut the deficit by cutting our income (cutting taxes). It has been proven already that corporations don't expand and hire more workers when their taxes go down. It does not stimulate the economy.

One of the things to watch for in any Medicare cuts is what happens to the military who were forced into the program rather than continue in the Free program they were promised. It used to make my Mom really irritated that she had to now pay for what was promised as a life long benefit. The problem will diminish as the baby boomers die out, the current recruits have no such promises.

Reed, I didn't know that about the military and medicare. I will be watching for those possible cuts, too.

Rubio announced yesterday(?) that the Republicans will be cutting Medicare, Social Security and Welfare. That they have to get the money to pay for the tax cuts.

Whether they'll be actually cuts is open for debate, like in Social Security talk is just about changing the retirement age so far.

Some changes do need to be made to Medicare and Social Security due to solvency issues, but it's not like the politicians have ever had the balls to do so.

The cuts I last saw proposed for Social security was a means test. Those usually don’t include those already receiving benefits though. They certainly could remove the contribution cap while keeping the max benefit at a lower amount. Medicare can’t disqualify people by means as they need the extra premiums that George W added.it seems foolish to remove the additional tax that Obama added too, although it seems unfair for premiums to be based on income alone. Medicare’s solvency is in part because of a law that keeps premiums from rising more than a COLA for those paying the main amount. Currently the premium is supposed to contribute no less than 25% of the actual costs! I see hospital groups setting themselves up to be able to work as universal health systems due to some requirements that there be a motivation for no re entries into hospitals for what they were first admitted for, that is discharged too early or with too poor of a treatment. Time will tell.

There is apparently an automatic 25billion cut to medicare. I think it was paying doctors less?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
An interesting read, Seniors on wheels,
https://www.theguardian.com/co...-cars-working-amazon

At the same time, the top 1% now makes 81 times more than those in the bottom half do, when you compare average earnings. For American adults on the lower half of the income ladder – some 117 million of them – earnings haven’t changed since the 1970s.

This is not a wage gap – it’s a chasm.

The most widely accepted measure for calculating income inequality is a century-old formula called the Gini coefficient. What it reveals is startling. Today the United States has the most unequal society of all developed nations. America’s level of inequality is comparable to that of Russia, China, Argentina and the war-torn Democratic Republic of the Congo.

WOW! I had no idea it was that prevalent...

My old boyfriend had said for the last 10 years of his life, "There's gonna be another civil war if this continues." I'm thinking he just may have been right.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6581 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think, but I haven't done an official headcount, but most of mine live in Europe I believe. One was in France but heading to Germany. She'd left Israel.

As for Israel and Judah returning, I'm not even sure it states where they will go to, plus we have the new Jerusalem being built.

In the Book of Revelation, the New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven and is about the size of the USA east of the Mississippi River. So it isn't a literal, physical Jerusalem...

Posts: 6581 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
We got skipped with even the flakes, but then we have snow plows so 4-6 inches of snow barely slows us down out here in the sticks! I’ve, because of the curves and slopes of the road locally is more of a problem. I can drive around the biggest mountains especially the one with a section of 10% grade, combines with some 8%s. Then since I don’t work I don’t deal with it, I justhave to accept that the route UPS drives here may be snowed so they’ll cancel delivery. Even though the leg back to their Depot is snow free! Makes me mad sometimes that they cancel the whole route when I’m waiting for something and was out and could have picked it up.

If there is snow on those grades they are actually plowed early as major roads but they have areas that are shaded. The truck route has lesser slopes more shade.

Stay safe. Hope to see Mrs E soon!

Only about 10-15% of the drivers in Atlanta know how to drive on snow and about the same percentage don't know that 4wd vehicles can't negotiate ice without chains! And we can't get chains here - nor snow tires, for that matter.

Most of the snow on the streets and trees is gone now - just an inch or so left on the shady areas on the ground in my area. But the more northern areas still have quite a bit and whatever was left in the streets has turned into black ice overnight when the temperatures plummeted.

Haven't heard a peep from mrs exp, but she had threatened to go on a cruise to Hawaii with her daughter. Maybe she was serious!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember one mayor whose attitude was what God provided, God can take away, and said it on the news! Glad to hear you have a bit of equipment now. And, northern Virginia had similar problems with panic and people who did understand that 4 wheel drive was 4 wheel slide if they had to stop on morning traffic roads that were refreshing!

Yeah, we still have some idjets who think 4wd means they can drive on black ice. Sheesh!

But our governor had a real 'coming to Jesus' during our last ice storm. I mean, Atlanta is a major transportation hub and you can't tell all those tractor trailer drivers to park it for 12-15 hours until we can catch up on the salting and plowing! So he knuckled down and got us sufficient machinery and drivers worthy of our 'station'. To help pay for it, we lease them to other areas when they are hit with a storm.

And now, even at the hint of snow, the schools are warned to make and publish plans for it asap, and the salt trucks are loaded up and dispatched near bridges and overpasses so that they are already in place instead of trying to play 'catch-up'.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Hate to be the one to tell you this, even though we have been expecting it:

Received an email from yba/Steve yesterday. He lost his darling Marianne.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
I think, but I haven't done an official headcount, but most of mine live in Europe I believe. One was in France but heading to Germany. She'd left Israel.

As for Israel and Judah returning, I'm not even sure it states where they will go to, plus we have the new Jerusalem being built.

In the Book of Revelation, the New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven and is about the size of the USA east of the Mississippi River. So it isn't a literal, physical Jerusalem...

I'm not entirely so sure. As apparently new cities were built 2 other times. And a new one this time(?), so it might be both literal and metaphor.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
According to Breitbart news Yeti's have been seen in Florida, some sporting orange hair.....

bryan j borich

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Breitbart news Yeti's have been seen in Florida, some sporting orange hair.....

Swamp Yeti?

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Something I originally constructed for one of TeDiuM's threads, ergo the caps:

I'm not entirely so sure. As apparently new cities were built 2 other times. And a new one this time(?), so it might be both literal and metaphor.

In Acts 1:6 the disciples asked: So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” Because per Isaiah 9:1–7; 11:1–16 they were expecting the messianic kingdom.

Quite a few verses in the NT answer to the OT promises:
Hosea 1:10 Speaking to Israel, "Yet the ISRAELITES will be like the sand on the seashore, which cannot be measured or counted. In the place where it was said to them, 'YOU ARE NOT MY PEOPLE,' THEY WILL BE CALLED 'CHILDREN OF THE LIVING GOD'."

Hosea 2:23 Speaking to ISRAEL, "I will plant her for myself in the land; I will show my love to the one I called 'Not my loved one.' I will say to those called 'Not my people,' 'You are my people'; and they will say, 'You are my God'."

Romans 9:22-26 Paul, speaking to ROMANS, "What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared BEFOREHAND for glory, even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, BUT ALSO FROM AMONG GENTILES/NATIONS.
As He says also in Hosea, “I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, ‘MY PEOPLE,’ AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, ‘BELOVED.’”
“AND IT SHALL BE THAT IN THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SAID TO THEM, ‘YOU ARE NOT MY PEOPLE,’ THERE THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF THE LIVING GOD.”

1 Peter 2:9-10 Speaking to God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been CHOSEN ACCORDING TO THE FOREKNOWLEDGE of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood': - "But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God’s OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; for you once were NOT A PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY.
---
Amos 9:11 "In that day I will restore DAVID's fallen shelter-- I will repair its broken walls and restore its ruins-- and will rebuild it as it used to be,..."

Acts 15:16 "'After this I will return and rebuild DAVID's fallen tent. Its ruins I will rebuild, and I will restore it,..."

Then there are many OT passages which refer directly to Israel which are applied to the Church in the NT:

Exodus 19:5-6 "'Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel.”

1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

Jeremiah 31:31-34 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the LORD. “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Luke 22:20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the NEW COVENANT in my blood, which is poured out for you."
---
Leviticus 19:2 "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy."

1 Peter 1:15 Speaking to "God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been CHOSEN according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:" - "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;..."

There are also the NT passages, written directly to 'the Church', with clear teachings that membership in Israel is a matter of spiritual - rather than physical or ethnic relationship.

Galatians 3:6-8 "Those who believe are CHILDREN OF ABRAHAM': "Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. Therefore, be sure it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU."

Galatians 3:28-29 "If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and HEIRS ACCORDING TO THE PROMISES' - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are ALL ONE in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise."

Romans 11:17-21 Fully teaching the UNITY of Israel and the Church as their being the SAME OLIVE TREE in which the 'Gentiles of the Church are GRAFTED INTO the OLIVE TREE OF ETHNIC ISRAEL' - "But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and BECAME PARTAKER WITH THEM of the rich root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?"

Bottom line: The New Covenant promise in Jeremiah 31:31 was to Judah and Israel: "The days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a New Covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah." In the Daniel 9:26 prophecy wherein "After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the ANOINTED ONE (Christ/Messiah) will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed" it was clearly FORESEEN that The Christ would be rejected and cut off, and Jerusalem and the Temple would be destroyed, yet God was faithful to the prophecy as it was given, as per Isaiah 42:6-7, "I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I will also hold you by the hand and watch over you, And I will APPOINT YOU AS A COVENANT TO THE PEOPLE, As a LIGHT TO THE NATIONS/GENTILES, To open blind eyes, To bring out prisoners from the dungeon And those who dwell in darkness from the prison…" and as noted by Luke 2:32 "a light for revelation to the GENTILES, and the glory of your people ISRAEL" and Acts 13:47 "For this is what the Lord has commanded us: "'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'"

They were scattered to the 4 corners of the earth:
Isaiah 11:12 "He will raise a banner for the nations and gather the exiles of Israel; he will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth.

Will be gathered from the 4 corners of the earth:
Mark 13:27 "And he will send his angels/messengers and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens."

Matthew 24:31 "And He will send out His angels/messengers with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other."

Revelation 7:4 "And I heard how many were marked with the seal of God--144,000 were sealed from all the tribes of Israel:..."

Oh, and Jerusalem means City/Abode of Peace...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
"We're spending ourselves into bankruptcy," Hatch said. "Now, let's just be honest about it: We're in trouble. This country is in deep debt. You don't help the poor by not solving the problems of debt, and you don't help the poor by continually pushing more and more liberal programs through."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20171206-story.html

==================

Read. Now that we have increased the national debt by upwards of a trillion by lowering taxes mostly on the wealthy. We now have to cut money to the poor.

P.S. We also need a larger military because ours is too small.

I am hoping that the Republicans will fail miserably in their efforts to pass what they call entitlement reform. As the article points out, they failed to repeal Obamacare in the Senate, so their chances of doing what they want to do to Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Food Stamps, and cash aid to poor families seem slim.

I have never understood the Republican reasoning- let's cut the deficit by cutting our income (cutting taxes). It has been proven already that corporations don't expand and hire more workers when their taxes go down. It does not stimulate the economy.

One of the things to watch for in any Medicare cuts is what happens to the military who were forced into the program rather than continue in the Free program they were promised. It used to make my Mom really irritated that she had to now pay for what was promised as a life long benefit. The problem will diminish as the baby boomers die out, the current recruits have no such promises.

Reed, I didn't know that about the military and medicare. I will be watching for those possible cuts, too.

Rubio announced yesterday(?) that the Republicans will be cutting Medicare, Social Security and Welfare. That they have to get the money to pay for the tax cuts.

Whether they'll be actually cuts is open for debate, like in Social Security talk is just about changing the retirement age so far.

Some changes do need to be made to Medicare and Social Security due to solvency issues, but it's not like the politicians have ever had the balls to do so.

The cuts I last saw proposed for Social security was a means test. Those usually don’t include those already receiving benefits though. They certainly could remove the contribution cap while keeping the max benefit at a lower amount. Medicare can’t disqualify people by means as they need the extra premiums that George W added.it seems foolish to remove the additional tax that Obama added too, although it seems unfair for premiums to be based on income alone. Medicare’s solvency is in part because of a law that keeps premiums from rising more than a COLA for those paying the main amount. Currently the premium is supposed to contribute no less than 25% of the actual costs! I see hospital groups setting themselves up to be able to work as universal health systems due to some requirements that there be a motivation for no re entries into hospitals for what they were first admitted for, that is discharged too early or with too poor of a treatment. Time will tell.

There is apparently an automatic 25billion cut to medicare. I think it was paying doctors less?

I believe those cuts can be gained back with a record of good outcome, but who knows. I know that was how surgery was headed. And it doesn’t have to be perfect just improvements. Of course, those rates of improvement are not sustainable, I’m sure many of us have seen when things get better the next year have to exceed and when you get to near perfect you still end up having to be more than perfect!

Posts: 10875 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
We got skipped with even the flakes, but then we have snow plows so 4-6 inches of snow barely slows us down out here in the sticks! I’ve, because of the curves and slopes of the road locally is more of a problem. I can drive around the biggest mountains especially the one with a section of 10% grade, combines with some 8%s. Then since I don’t work I don’t deal with it, I justhave to accept that the route UPS drives here may be snowed so they’ll cancel delivery. Even though the leg back to their Depot is snow free! Makes me mad sometimes that they cancel the whole route when I’m waiting for something and was out and could have picked it up.

If there is snow on those grades they are actually plowed early as major roads but they have areas that are shaded. The truck route has lesser slopes more shade.

Stay safe. Hope to see Mrs E soon!

Only about 10-15% of the drivers in Atlanta know how to drive on snow and about the same percentage don't know that 4wd vehicles can't negotiate ice without chains! And we can't get chains here - nor snow tires, for that matter.

Most of the snow on the streets and trees is gone now - just an inch or so left on the shady areas on the ground in my area. But the more northern areas still have quite a bit and whatever was left in the streets has turned into black ice overnight when the temperatures plummeted.

Haven't heard a peep from mrs exp, but she had threatened to go on a cruise to Hawaii with her daughter. Maybe she was serious!

Wow, if she went I’m impressed. And yes she would be out of contact on a cruise ship, normally. We get free minutes otherwise we’d be out of contact. I thought out reunion with Allan was supposed to be Fiji though, although Hawaii seems like a good choice!

As for driving in snow Northern Virginia seemed to be the worst as we crossed freezing each day and thus almost always had ice too. It seems no one ever got the hang of that fact no matter how long they lived there!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

So sorry to hear that. I did get a note off to him last week wishing him peace and prayers. I know the mixed emotions will be tough for a while.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, if she went I’m impressed. And yes she would be out of contact on a cruise ship, normally. We get free minutes otherwise we’d be out of contact. I thought out reunion with Allan was supposed to be Fiji though, although Hawaii seems like a good choice!

As for driving in snow Northern Virginia seemed to be the worst as we crossed freezing each day and thus almost always had ice too. It seems no one ever got the hang of that fact no matter how long they lived there!

Yeah, but I thought the little booger would have made contact with Bryan before she left! However, she did say that she was tired of feeling tired, so maybe she just didn't have the energy to figure everything out and get it done before the trip. Dunno. But I hope she enjoys herself!

I lived in Charlottesville, VA near the University, for a couple of years. But I never drove in VA, just walked or took a taxi. There was a good amount of snow in winter and I learned how to walk on the stuff without kissing the ground (falling on my face). But wouldn't you know it, the day I left to come to GA, we had one of the worst blizzards! My poor sis and b-i-l drove from Atlanta to pick me up. My b-i-l had never driven on the stuff before, but he managed somehow. We stopped in Raleigh, NC to spend the night, and there was snow/sleet all the way back to Atlanta! That trip seemed like it took forever even though there were few cars on the highway.

Can't remember what year that was (79?), but it was the first of two really bad blizzards. That one was the worst of the two. The power was out for 8 days and we couldn't get out of the apartment complex because it had steep hills and because the ice (sleet) refroze overnight. So it was actually worse the next few days. No way to cook except on the grill. The next one (80?) was just a snow event, but again it melted a little and refroze overnight into slick ice.

The next one was only a few years later (82?) and I was driving a Ford Pinto that thought it was a fish. Sucker would fishtail on wet pavement, never mind snow or ice! I had no power in my apartment and was trying to get to work so I could get some coffee. When the Pinto put me off the road and into the drainage ditch, I swore I'd never drive in the stuff again! A nice police officer took me to the Quick Mart for some coffee and delivered me back home and I let the car sit there for the next two days! Taught her not to be such a b itch, huh.

Never attempted to drive in the stuff again.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So sorry to hear that. I did get a note off to him last week wishing him peace and prayers. I know the mixed emotions will be tough for a while.

He seemed so devastated... Just made me want to give him a big hug.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Actually, for the most part they rejected God except when it sometimes served their purpose.

As the Torah says, Jews love death.

quote:
They definitely had their ups and downs. God spoke through His prophets about how both Israel and Judah fell short and why they were deported. The cool thing is that he didn't abandon them. He enabled them to return to the land.

quote:
To a land, which hasn't happened yet.

Yep, according to the Bible, Israel and Judah will return when God gives it to them.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...pulation_by_country:
"The world's core Jewish population was estimated at 14.41 million in 2016.

While dozens of countries host at least a small Jewish population, the community is concentrated in a handful: Israel and the United States account for 83% of the Jewish population, while a total of 98 countries host the other 17%.

With just over 6.5 million Jews, Israel is the only Jewish majority and explicitly Jewish state. Jewish population figures for the United States are contested, ranging between 5.7 and 6.8 million."

Many of the USA Jews hold dual citizenship and clearly prefer to live here than in Israel.

I was referring to God returning them to the Land from Babylon through His providence, arranging Cyrus' decree, seeing that the temple was rebuilt, building the walls around Jerusalem, etc. God did not forget His promises to His people.

I don't see why the partitioning to create the country of Israel in 1948, can't be seen as God working, in His providence, also, just as He did to end the Babylonian captivity. There were people who stayed behind in Persia that helped to financially support the settlers who moved back to Judea in Ezra's and Nehemiah's day. So I don't see a contradiction in many Jewish people living outside of Israel today.

Vicki

Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some pics of our snow storm from Georgia:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/phot...snow-storm/661487217

Wow! I never would have thought that Georgia would have more snow on the ground than northern Idaho, but it had happened! We have a high pressure area that has settled over us through Thursday, so we are dry and cold.

Vicki

Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am sorry to read about Marianne. Praying for yba.

Vicki

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Actually, for the most part they rejected God except when it sometimes served their purpose.

As the Torah says, Jews love death.

quote:
They definitely had their ups and downs. God spoke through His prophets about how both Israel and Judah fell short and why they were deported. The cool thing is that he didn't abandon them. He enabled them to return to the land.

quote:
To a land, which hasn't happened yet.

Yep, according to the Bible, Israel and Judah will return when God gives it to them.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...pulation_by_country:
"The world's core Jewish population was estimated at 14.41 million in 2016.

While dozens of countries host at least a small Jewish population, the community is concentrated in a handful: Israel and the United States account for 83% of the Jewish population, while a total of 98 countries host the other 17%.

With just over 6.5 million Jews, Israel is the only Jewish majority and explicitly Jewish state. Jewish population figures for the United States are contested, ranging between 5.7 and 6.8 million."

Many of the USA Jews hold dual citizenship and clearly prefer to live here than in Israel.

I don't see why the partitioning to create the country of Israel in 1948, can't be seen as God working, in His providence, also, just as He did to end the Babylonian captivity. There were people who stayed behind in Persia that helped to financially support the settlers who moved back to Judea in Ezra's and Nehemiah's day. So I don't see a contradiction in many Jewish people living outside of Israel today.

One can look at it any way they please, however, it's that little word and that is missing from the current Jewish state of Israel. If the Bible is correct, most Israelites are now Christian, not Jewish.