Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Some pics of our snow storm from Georgia:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/phot...snow-storm/661487217

Wow! I never would have thought that Georgia would have more snow on the ground than northern Idaho, but it had happened! We have a high pressure area that has settled over us through Thursday, so we are dry and cold.

At 4:22 PM it is bright and sunny and 55 degrees here! So much of the snow/ice has melted, at least in the Atlanta area. Farther north, not so much.

But Wednesday brings another reinforcing cold front and our temps will fall again, but without precipitation this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hate to be the one to tell you this, even though we have been expecting it:

Received an email from yba/Steve yesterday. He lost his darling Marianne.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

I am sorry to read about Marianne. Praying for yba.

Thanks. My heart just breaks for him.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Actually, for the most part they rejected God except when it sometimes served their purpose.

As the Torah says, Jews love death.

quote:
They definitely had their ups and downs. God spoke through His prophets about how both Israel and Judah fell short and why they were deported. The cool thing is that he didn't abandon them. He enabled them to return to the land.

quote:
To a land, which hasn't happened yet.

Yep, according to the Bible, Israel and Judah will return when God gives it to them.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...pulation_by_country:
"The world's core Jewish population was estimated at 14.41 million in 2016.

While dozens of countries host at least a small Jewish population, the community is concentrated in a handful: Israel and the United States account for 83% of the Jewish population, while a total of 98 countries host the other 17%.

With just over 6.5 million Jews, Israel is the only Jewish majority and explicitly Jewish state. Jewish population figures for the United States are contested, ranging between 5.7 and 6.8 million."

Many of the USA Jews hold dual citizenship and clearly prefer to live here than in Israel.

I don't see why the partitioning to create the country of Israel in 1948, can't be seen as God working, in His providence, also, just as He did to end the Babylonian captivity. There were people who stayed behind in Persia that helped to financially support the settlers who moved back to Judea in Ezra's and Nehemiah's day. So I don't see a contradiction in many Jewish people living outside of Israel today.

One can look at it any way they please, however, it's that little word and that is missing from the current Jewish state of Israel. If the Bible is correct, most Israelites are now Christian, not Jewish.

What makes you think that most Israelites are now Christians?

Were you aware of the Indians who claimed ancestry from the tribe of Manasseh were allowed to immigrate to Israel not too long ago?

Vicki

Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

The short answer? The Bible. And reading about the Lost Tribes of Israel.

Did you read my post 5th up from the bottom on the previous page? It explains a lot...

quote:
Were you aware of the Indians who claimed ancestry from the tribe of Manasseh were allowed to immigrate to Israel not too long ago?

Yes, and I'm also aware that many who claim ancestry from other tribes and who are Christian are not allowed.

Regardless, the Bible states that Israel will be as the sands of the sea (innumerable), but it says no such thing regarding the Jews. In fact, the Jews are regularly counted, whereas there is no such count for Israelites.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Wow, if she went I’m impressed. And yes she would be out of contact on a cruise ship, normally. We get free minutes otherwise we’d be out of contact. I thought out reunion with Allan was supposed to be Fiji though, although Hawaii seems like a good choice!

As for driving in snow Northern Virginia seemed to be the worst as we crossed freezing each day and thus almost always had ice too. It seems no one ever got the hang of that fact no matter how long they lived there!

Yeah, but I thought the little booger would have made contact with Bryan before she left! However, she did say that she was tired of feeling tired, so maybe she just didn't have the energy to figure everything out and get it done before the trip. Dunno. But I hope she enjoys herself!

I lived in Charlottesville, VA near the University, for a couple of years. But I never drove in VA, just walked or took a taxi. There was a good amount of snow in winter and I learned how to walk on the stuff without kissing the ground (falling on my face). But wouldn't you know it, the day I left to come to GA, we had one of the worst blizzards! My poor sis and b-i-l drove from Atlanta to pick me up. My b-i-l had never driven on the stuff before, but he managed somehow. We stopped in Raleigh, NC to spend the night, and there was snow/sleet all the way back to Atlanta! That trip seemed like it took forever even though there were few cars on the highway.

Can't remember what year that was (79?), but it was the first of two really bad blizzards. That one was the worst of the two. The power was out for 8 days and we couldn't get out of the apartment complex because it had steep hills and because the ice (sleet) refroze overnight. So it was actually worse the next few days. No way to cook except on the grill. The next one (80?) was just a snow event, but again it melted a little and refroze overnight into slick ice.

The next one was only a few years later (82?) and I was driving a Ford Pinto that thought it was a fish. Sucker would fishtail on wet pavement, never mind snow or ice! I had no power in my apartment and was trying to get to work so I could get some coffee. When the Pinto put me off the road and into the drainage ditch, I swore I'd never drive in the stuff again! A nice police officer took me to the Quick Mart for some coffee and delivered me back home and I let the car sit there for the next two days! Taught her not to be such a b itch, huh.

Never attempted to drive in the stuff again.

I remember driving in the storm that extended the government shutdown. 95? There had been others before but that one kept snowing after the main roads were cleared so they never got to the secondary roads. We packed the car with sleeping bags, boots, shovels, and kitty litter fully expecting to have to leave the car about 3/4 miles away and walk home, we made it in, but our street had been skipped after the first pass between storms. The storm began over the weekend and the government stayed closed until Wednesday iirc. And it wasn’t great even then. I worked at the Pentagon, for OSD, so if I got to work I could get paid.

Then there was a milder storm where I was driving out of our development and when I drive over the road where the pipeline to Dulles was, I found myself sliding severely and I had just made a turn so I wasn’t going all the fast 5mph maybe 7? I slowly turned the car around a went back to the house feeling like I was tiptoeing. I called the office and told them I got a block and a half and couldn’t get out of my development. That was less snow than 95 though. But I wasn’t sure where else I’d find ice under snow!

Posts: 11119 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember driving in the storm that extended the government shutdown. 95? There had been others before but that one kept snowing after the main roads were cleared so they never got to the secondary roads. We packed the car with sleeping bags, boots, shovels, and kitty litter fully expecting to have to leave the car about 3/4 miles away and walk home, we made it in, but our street had been skipped after the first pass between storms. The storm began over the weekend and the government stayed closed until Wednesday iirc. And it wasn’t great even then. I worked at the Pentagon, for OSD, so if I got to work I could get paid.

Then there was a milder storm where I was driving out of our development and when I drive over the road where the pipeline to Dulles was, I found myself sliding severely and I had just made a turn so I wasn’t going all the fast 5mph maybe 7? I slowly turned the car around a went back to the house feeling like I was tiptoeing. I called the office and told them I got a block and a half and couldn’t get out of my development. That was less snow than 95 though. But I wasn’t sure where else I’d find ice under snow!

When I went to work in OPS I became one of the "essential personnel" that had to work even when the government shut down over budget bickering. But I told them then that if it snowed, they'd have to come and get me. Thankfully, there was never a 24/7 op at the same time as a blizzard! I never had to go in during a snow storm because the post closed for the storm. Only the watch officers, gate MPs, and the General who lived on post, had to be there during the storms.

But had there been a 24/7 op in progress during a snow storm, I dunno what would have happened because I was considered essential (even deployable) at that point.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Did you read my post 5th up from the bottom on the previous page? It explains a lot...

quote:

Yes, and I'm also aware that many who claim ancestry from other tribes and who are Christian are not allowed.

Regardless, the Bible states that Israel will be as the sands of the sea (innumerable), but it says no such thing regarding the Jews. In fact, the Jews are regularly counted, whereas there is no such count for Israelites.

When God was speaking to Jacob (Israel), he said that all of his descendants would be like the dust of the earth (Gen 28:14). Israel's descendants included Judah and his descendants. There are times in the Bible when Israel is mentioned and it includes Judah, even after the split between the two kingdoms, and especially in the New Testament, as one of your quotes on the previous page shows.

I don't understand what passages in the Bible leads you to believe that the lost tribes of Israel are mostly Christian now. We have the example of the descendants of Manasseh migrating to India in ancient times and making Aliyah to Israel in modern times. There were other Israelites who once ruled in the area of Yemen in ancient times whose descendants immigrated to modern day Israel. (Although, this last group might have been an offshoot of Judah).

What have you read about the lost tribes of Israel that cause you to believe that they are now Christians? What is the theory behind that, iow?

Vicki

Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

When God was speaking to Jacob (Israel), he said that all of his descendants would be like the dust of the earth (Gen 28:14). Israel's descendants included Judah and his descendants. There are times in the Bible when Israel is mentioned and it includes Judah, even after the split between the two kingdoms, and especially in the New Testament, as one of your quotes on the previous page shows.

I don't understand what passages in the Bible leads you to believe that the lost tribes of Israel are mostly Christian now. We have the example of the descendants of Manasseh migrating to India in ancient times and making Aliyah to Israel in modern times. There were other Israelites who once ruled in the area of Yemen in ancient times whose descendants immigrated to modern day Israel. (Although, this last group might have been an offshoot of Judah).

What have you read about the lost tribes of Israel that cause you to believe that they are now Christians? What is the theory behind that, iow?

Ah, Vicki...ever done a study whereby you follow the 'promises of God' all the way through the Bible? If not, you have shortchanged yourself.

I'm going to post something I posted in response to Theo accusing me of replacement theology.

When Jacob’s name was changed to Israel and promises concerning the future of his children emerge, a blueprint of God’s purpose started to take shape.

And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel. 11 And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; A NATION (singular) AND a COMPANY OF NATIONS (/GENTILES, plural) shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins; 12 And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land. Gen 35:10

In Genesis 49 Israel gathered his family together before he died to tell them (we are also being told as we are reading about it in the future) their long range projected outcome.

And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days. 2 Gather yourselves together, and hear, ye sons of Jacob; and hearken unto Israel your father. Gen 49:1

Jacob then gives an analysis of the moral quality of his sons and how the personal nature of each will in turn influence and be reflected in the nations that descend from them. However in the preceding chapter, Gen 48, Jacob had met with his reunited son Joseph previously sold as a slave to Egypt in his youth. Jacob was entering his final days, so Joseph took his two sons Manasseh and Ephraim to meet their grandfather.

And now thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee in Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine...8 And Israel (Jacob) beheld Joseph’s sons, and said, Who are these? And Joseph said unto his father, They are my sons, whom God hath given me in this place. And he said, bring them, I pray thee, unto me, and I will bless them…16 The angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let MY NAME (Israel) BE NAMED ON THEM, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth. Gen 48:5

Israel then placed his hands on the boy’s heads and gave them his blessing. Ephraim, the younger son had the right hand placed on his head giving him the greater blessing. Manasseh would be a great people (multitude):

…but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a MULTITUDE OF NATIONS (GENTILES). v19

But the Septre (kingship) went to Judah:

Gen 49:8 Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall BOW DOWN before thee. 9 Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? 10 The SCEPTRE shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and UNTO HIM shall the gathering of the people be. 11 Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes: 12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.

NOTE: The SCEPTRE (Kingship) promised to Abraham went to Judah, and the MULTITUDES/NATIONS promised to Abraham went to Joseph. The name Israel went to the Northern Kingdom after the split because it was Ephraim and Manasseh upon whom Jacob put his name.

In determining who and what Israel is in the ‘last days’, we are looking for MANY NATIONS. There are twelve tribes to start with and Joseph, through his 2 sons, in turn alone will become many more nations, so we are weighing the possibility of numerous nations.

Simeon and Levi however would be assimilated into the other tribes: Gen 49:5
Precisely how many nations that do evolve is not the issue. A reality you can’t escape is to understand the word ‘Israel’ in biblical prophecy does not necessarily refer to the ‘Jews’. The Jewish people are those who returned from exile in Babylon, but the northern 10 tribes, plus many from Benjamin from the southern nation of Judah. In most cases where Israel is mentioned in the Bible it is distinctly not referring to 'the Jews’.

A modern case in point to illustrate this situation would be to use the European Union as an example. Germany is in the EU and France is in the EU. They are even neighbors, but try to tell a Frenchman that he is a German or vice versa and someone will get their dander up. Despite the Jewish people being the most readily identifiable, God’s word adds that they will not be the most predominant nation of Israel; that nation will come from the HOUSE OF JOSEPH.

This issue of understanding who and what Israel is represents the tip of the iceberg on a whole range of Biblical issues. A vast percentage of scriptures we need to understand are still under the surface, still not incorporated into the Church's understanding Israel.

After David’s death, his son Solomon reigned. In turn Solomon’s son Rehoboam succeeded the throne. Under his rule the kingdom split in two. To the north ten of the tribes, the bulk of the population, became independent under their own king. The other two tribes remained in Jerusalem. This southern nation was known as Judah, the Northern tribes retained the name of Israel. It was not long before rivalry between the alternate kings erupted into civil war. The nation of Israel was at war with the nation of Judah. Rephrased that would be: Israel was at war with the Jews.

The new nation of Israel became based in Samaria, a hill city forty-two miles north of Jerusalem. In 720 BC, Shalmaneser from the Assyrian empire to the north invaded and captured the nation of Israel. They were carried off to an area adjacent to the Black Sea, and after that appeared to vanish from history, hence the expression ‘the lost ten tribes’. Judah would have suffered the same fate as they were next in line to the south, however the Assyrians in turn were being invaded and had to suddenly retire their troops from the area to defend their own capital. The nation of Judah would be spared defeat from invasion for another 120 years until Nebuchadnezzar succeeded.

With this background, that the nation of Israel and Judah were two separate nations, and that other nations of Israel in the ‘last days’ are being referred to, it means great care is needed in reading Biblical contexts to distinguish which one is being referred to.

Here are a series of scriptures that outline the separation of Israel into its independent states.

And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD… 11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. 12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father’s sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son. 13 Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom; but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake which I have chosen. 1 Kings 11:6-13

And he said to Jeroboam, Take thee ten pieces: for thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, Behold, I will rend the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon, and will give ten tribes to thee: 32 (But he shall have one tribe for my servant David’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel. 1 Kings 11:31

But I will take the kingdom out of his son’s hand, and will give it unto thee, even ten tribes. 36 And unto his son will I give one tribe, that David my servant may have a light always before me in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen me to put my name there. 37 And I will take thee, and thou shalt reign according to all that thy soul desireth, and shalt be king over Israel. 1 Kings 11:35

Then the king of Assyria came up throughout all the land, and went up to Samaria, and besieged it three years. 6 In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of Assyria took Samaria, and carried Israel away into Assyria, and placed them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes. 2 Kings 17:5

Therefore the LORD was very angry with Israel, and removed them out of his sight: there was none left but the tribe of Judah only. 2 Kings 17:18

The expanse of time from when God “removed Israel out of His sight” (2 Kings 17:18) and the tribe of Judah returning from Babylon is a similar period of time from when Napoleon fought the battle of Waterloo until today. Two hundred years had separated the two nations. After a similar period of time would we still think in terms of America as being just a colonial by-product of England? Just as much water had gone under the bridge separating the destiny of Israel and Judah.

All that taken with Jesus' "I'm not come but for the lost sheep of the House of Israel" along with Peter's and Paul's references to Israel, it should become clear that the 'ingathering' of Israel is Christianity; for they would be "called by a new name."

Condensed from several websites and books.
For a book that covers this much more thoroughly:
https://www.cbcg.org/franklin/...sephs_Birthright.pdf

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So sorry to hear that. I did get a note off to him last week wishing him peace and prayers. I know the mixed emotions will be tough for a while.

I hear that! It’s hard not to respond that way.

He seemed so devastated... Just made me want to give him a big hug.

Posts: 11119 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When I went to work in OPS I became one of the "essential personnel" that had to work even when the government shut down over budget bickering. But I told them then that if it snowed, they'd have to come and get me. Thankfully, there was never a 24/7 op at the same time as a blizzard! I never had to go in during a snow storm because the post closed for the storm. Only the watch officers, gate MPs, and the General who lived on post, had to be there during the storms.

But had there been a 24/7 op in progress during a snow storm, I dunno what would have happened because I was considered essential (even deployable) at that point.

We had some of the computers, but not all were considered essential, I and others maintained the software that was essential, but no we weren’t 24/7!

We supported among other things the police systems.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had some of the computers, but not all were considered essential, I and others maintained the software that was essential, but no we weren’t 24/7!

We supported among other things the police systems.

I had worked first for IRS downtown, then 818th Hospital Center (a Reservist Center) at Fort Gillem, and then Personnel at FORSCOM at Fort McPherson. While I was working in Personnel, I was selected to work one of the major ops exercises for which a ts clearance was required. The ts requirement came as a shock to me because I was to work in a clerical position for which many others would have been a better choice. But...they couldn't get/maintain the level of clearance necessary!

But while I was working the exercise, I finally found my niche. It was very interesting work and it fit my personality and work ethic much better. So the first opportunity I had to apply for a position in ops, I took it. And wouldn't you know, it was right in the heart of the Ops Center; Current Ops! I did more work in a single morning than I had done all week in Personnel. At the end of the day I always felt "where did the day go!"

And I was the only female in a 14-man office. If I'd had a husband and/or children, I wouldn't have been able to give it nearly as much as I did because I'd have run out of energy long before bedtime. In fact, most women at HQ FORSCOM refused to work in ops for that reason - along with having to have a pretty tuff disposition and capable of pushing back when the boyz got ruff. Something that 5 brothers had given me plenty of exercise in!

I think I had been in the position around 4 months when the HQ decided to audit their mission essential positions. By that time I had taken on more advanced work than was originally in my job description so when the boss informed me of my new mission essential status, he also informed me that he had ordered a desk audit of my position for the purpose of a promotion! It took 2 tries, but right in the midst of DS/DS, I got my first promotion.

Thank goodness I never had to deploy for an OP, but I did have to deploy (really just a tdy) to another HQ/Installation for a couple of 1-2 week major exercises.

When our MSCA/HLS SME was relieved of duty for a nasty little porn habit on a government computer, I was already familiar enough with his duties (since I had to do much of his work to keep us on schedule), that they, for the first time in ages, civilianized a military position so that they could promote me into it.

About 7 years or so before I retired, they had me training all the newly arriving Reservists on how to write military OPORDS! Sheesh, they thought I was Queen of OPS! 'Twas a fun part of my job; a sillyvilian teaching Majors and LTCs how to write and process orders! Loved it even though it meant that I had to work weekends.

And sometimes I even miss it - but not enough to go back, trust me. Don't think I could do those 12-18+ hour days any more - even for short periods of time.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just saw this.

I don't know his own philosophy, but pass this on,

According to Torah (according to what I learned) there is no death, only transformation. And so long as we remember those we knew, they are always with us.

I know it might very well be cold comfort. I know my problem is that one can't touch or hold them physically anymore.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Actually, for the most part they rejected God except when it sometimes served their purpose.

quote:
They definitely had their ups and downs. God spoke through His prophets about how both Israel and Judah fell short and why they were deported. The cool thing is that he didn't abandon them. He enabled them to return to the land.

quote:

Yep, according to the Bible, Israel and Judah will return when God gives it to them.

While dozens of countries host at least a small Jewish population, the community is concentrated in a handful: Israel and the United States account for 83% of the Jewish population, while a total of 98 countries host the other 17%.

With just over 6.5 million Jews, Israel is the only Jewish majority and explicitly Jewish state. Jewish population figures for the United States are contested, ranging between 5.7 and 6.8 million."

Many of the USA Jews hold dual citizenship and clearly prefer to live here than in Israel.

I was referring to God returning them to the Land from Babylon through His providence, arranging Cyrus' decree, seeing that the temple was rebuilt, building the walls around Jerusalem, etc. God did not forget His promises to His people.

I don't see why the partitioning to create the country of Israel in 1948, can't be seen as God working, in His providence, also, just as He did to end the Babylonian captivity. There were people who stayed behind in Persia that helped to financially support the settlers who moved back to Judea in Ezra's and Nehemiah's day. So I don't see a contradiction in many Jewish people living outside of Israel today.

Because even Jews state that the creation of Israel went against God. It is initially why orthodox Jews rejected going there, and why even some there now, state Israels creation was a mistake.

And they are right. Israel's creation was based on the Jewish love of death.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

One can look at it any way they please, however, it's that little word and that is missing from the current Jewish state of Israel. If the Bible is correct, most Israelites are now Christian, not Jewish.

Only after they converted and only because Israel needs more 'Jews'.

But yes, most Israelites won't be Jews in the normal sense of the term, nor Christians in the normal sense either.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Ah, Vicki...ever done a study whereby you follow the 'promises of God' all the way through the Bible? If not, you have shortchanged yourself.

I'm going to post something I posted in response to Theo accusing me of replacement theology.

When Jacob’s name was changed to Israel and promises concerning the future of his children emerge, a blueprint of God’s purpose started to take shape.

And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel. 11 And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; A NATION (singular) AND a COMPANY OF NATIONS (/GENTILES, plural) shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins; 12 And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land. Gen 35:10

In Genesis 49 Israel gathered his family together before he died to tell them (we are also being told as we are reading about it in the future) their long range projected outcome.

And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days. 2 Gather yourselves together, and hear, ye sons of Jacob; and hearken unto Israel your father. Gen 49:1

Jacob then gives an analysis of the moral quality of his sons and how the personal nature of each will in turn influence and be reflected in the nations that descend from them. However in the preceding chapter, Gen 48, Jacob had met with his reunited son Joseph previously sold as a slave to Egypt in his youth. Jacob was entering his final days, so Joseph took his two sons Manasseh and Ephraim to meet their grandfather.

And now thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee in Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine...8 And Israel (Jacob) beheld Joseph’s sons, and said, Who are these? And Joseph said unto his father, They are my sons, whom God hath given me in this place. And he said, bring them, I pray thee, unto me, and I will bless them…16 The angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let MY NAME (Israel) BE NAMED ON THEM, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth. Gen 48:5

Israel then placed his hands on the boy’s heads and gave them his blessing. Ephraim, the younger son had the right hand placed on his head giving him the greater blessing. Manasseh would be a great people (multitude):

…but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a MULTITUDE OF NATIONS (GENTILES). v19

But the Septre (kingship) went to Judah:

Gen 49:8 Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall BOW DOWN before thee. 9 Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? 10 The SCEPTRE shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and UNTO HIM shall the gathering of the people be. 11 Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes: 12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.

NOTE: The SCEPTRE (Kingship) promised to Abraham went to Judah, and the MULTITUDES/NATIONS promised to Abraham went to Joseph. The name Israel went to the Northern Kingdom after the split because it was Ephraim and Manasseh upon whom Jacob put his name.

In determining who and what Israel is in the ‘last days’, we are looking for MANY NATIONS. There are twelve tribes to start with and Joseph, through his 2 sons, in turn alone will become many more nations, so we are weighing the possibility of numerous nations.

Simeon and Levi however would be assimilated into the other tribes: Gen 49:5
Precisely how many nations that do evolve is not the issue. A reality you can’t escape is to understand the word ‘Israel’ in biblical prophecy does not necessarily refer to the ‘Jews’. The Jewish people are those who returned from exile in Babylon, but the northern 10 tribes, plus many from Benjamin from the southern nation of Judah. In most cases where Israel is mentioned in the Bible it is distinctly not referring to 'the Jews’.

A modern case in point to illustrate this situation would be to use the European Union as an example. Germany is in the EU and France is in the EU. They are even neighbors, but try to tell a Frenchman that he is a German or vice versa and someone will get their dander up. Despite the Jewish people being the most readily identifiable, God’s word adds that they will not be the most predominant nation of Israel; that nation will come from the HOUSE OF JOSEPH.

This issue of understanding who and what Israel is represents the tip of the iceberg on a whole range of Biblical issues. A vast percentage of scriptures we need to understand are still under the surface, still not incorporated into the Church's understanding Israel.

After David’s death, his son Solomon reigned. In turn Solomon’s son Rehoboam succeeded the throne. Under his rule the kingdom split in two. To the north ten of the tribes, the bulk of the population, became independent under their own king. The other two tribes remained in Jerusalem. This southern nation was known as Judah, the Northern tribes retained the name of Israel. It was not long before rivalry between the alternate kings erupted into civil war. The nation of Israel was at war with the nation of Judah. Rephrased that would be: Israel was at war with the Jews.

The new nation of Israel became based in Samaria, a hill city forty-two miles north of Jerusalem. In 720 BC, Shalmaneser from the Assyrian empire to the north invaded and captured the nation of Israel. They were carried off to an area adjacent to the Black Sea, and after that appeared to vanish from history, hence the expression ‘the lost ten tribes’. Judah would have suffered the same fate as they were next in line to the south, however the Assyrians in turn were being invaded and had to suddenly retire their troops from the area to defend their own capital. The nation of Judah would be spared defeat from invasion for another 120 years until Nebuchadnezzar succeeded.

With this background, that the nation of Israel and Judah were two separate nations, and that other nations of Israel in the ‘last days’ are being referred to, it means great care is needed in reading Biblical contexts to distinguish which one is being referred to.

Here are a series of scriptures that outline the separation of Israel into its independent states.

And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD… 11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. 12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father’s sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son. 13 Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom; but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake which I have chosen. 1 Kings 11:6-13

And he said to Jeroboam, Take thee ten pieces: for thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, Behold, I will rend the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon, and will give ten tribes to thee: 32 (But he shall have one tribe for my servant David’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel. 1 Kings 11:31

But I will take the kingdom out of his son’s hand, and will give it unto thee, even ten tribes. 36 And unto his son will I give one tribe, that David my servant may have a light always before me in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen me to put my name there. 37 And I will take thee, and thou shalt reign according to all that thy soul desireth, and shalt be king over Israel. 1 Kings 11:35

Then the king of Assyria came up throughout all the land, and went up to Samaria, and besieged it three years. 6 In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of Assyria took Samaria, and carried Israel away into Assyria, and placed them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes. 2 Kings 17:5

Therefore the LORD was very angry with Israel, and removed them out of his sight: there was none left but the tribe of Judah only. 2 Kings 17:18

The expanse of time from when God “removed Israel out of His sight” (2 Kings 17:18) and the tribe of Judah returning from Babylon is a similar period of time from when Napoleon fought the battle of Waterloo until today. Two hundred years had separated the two nations. After a similar period of time would we still think in terms of America as being just a colonial by-product of England? Just as much water had gone under the bridge separating the destiny of Israel and Judah.

All that taken with Jesus' "I'm not come but for the lost sheep of the House of Israel" along with Peter's and Paul's references to Israel, it should become clear that the 'ingathering' of Israel is Christianity; for they would be "called by a new name."

Condensed from several websites and books.
For a book that covers this much more thoroughly:
https://www.cbcg.org/franklin/...sephs_Birthright.pdf

There are added? details in Amos and Hosea too.

One of the various Jewish beliefs is that the House of Judah will serve the House of Israel once both are reconstituted.

If you throw Paul in, he himself changes the definition of whom a Jew is as I recall.

bryan j borich

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Btw if you send me some of your snow, I'll give you my heat wave.

bryan j borich

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the various Jewish beliefs is that the House of Judah will serve the House of Israel once both are reconstituted.

If you throw Paul in, he himself changes the definition of whom a Jew is as I recall.

Yeah, there are numerous references in several of the prophetic books, and Hosea is written entirely in regard to the House of Israel.

What is known is that the term 'Jew' wasn't used until after the return from Babylon - and probably was originally used by the Samaritans and those 'left behind' in Judea as a derisive term for those returnees. And it is clear that the NT writers used the term derisively for them even though the writers themselves were of Jewish descent.

BTW, that url is to an online PDF of "Judah's Septre and Joseph's Birthright" by J.H. Allen. Most, if not all, of the scripture references are given in that book. Too bad I didn't find it BEFORE I did my study, it would have saved me a LOT of time!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just saw this.

I don't know his own philosophy, but pass this on,

According to Torah (according to what I learned) there is no death, only transformation. And so long as we remember those we knew, they are always with us.

I know it might very well be cold comfort. I know my problem is that one can't touch or hold them physically anymore.

From my discussions with yba, it seems he sees 'death' as only of the physical body. He used they phrase "went to be with her ancestors" when he spoke of her death.

And yes, the really difficult part is the lack of physical contact. It's what I missed most about my grandmother. She gave the best hugs! Such a tiny little thing, but could wrap herself around you like a vice and squeeze you 'til you burped or squealed! Mean little Cherokee woman...loved her like a rock!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Btw if you send me some of your snow, I'll give you my heat wave.

LOL, no way! I'm lovin' it! Especially now that I'm retired.

And anyway, it's all melted in Atlanta. Still a little in the mountains though.

Got all the way up to 48 today and supposed to be by 54 tomorrow. And rain over the weekend...

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, there are numerous references in several of the prophetic books, and Hosea is written entirely in regard to the House of Israel.

What is known is that the term 'Jew' wasn't used until after the return from Babylon - and probably was originally used by the Samaritans and those 'left behind' in Judea as a derisive term for those returnees. And it is clear that the NT writers used the term derisively for them even though the writers themselves were of Jewish descent.

BTW, that url is to an online PDF of "Judah's Septre and Joseph's Birthright" by J.H. Allen. Most, if not all, of the scripture references are given in that book. Too bad I didn't find it BEFORE I did my study, it would have saved me a LOT of time!

Doing the imdependent study was something you needed to do, the pdf just backs up what you already learned on your own, it's the way things work for some.

bryan j borich