Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 50
Go To
Post
Search BB
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Reply
  
Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Sorry to hear she is so tired, but I can identify, and she has a few years on me. I’m in the ER for results from CT scan. I was sent here by DR to rule out cardiac etiology!


Well, tell 'em to hurry up and rule it out!

Meanwhile, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.


Speaking of which my cortisol test came back ok. My cardiologist doesn't think my energy problem is caused by my heart offhand (and offhand I don't think so either except on hot days anyway).

I've been having somr free hot food this week courtesy of my neighbor, who changed his diet and can't use the restaraunt coupons fully.

And it actually got cold this morning (as in I had to use another cover).

And I'm daydreaming of meatloaf (just give me the entire thing, and something offbeat), twice-baked mash potatoes (or some other unusual concoction), peas and carrots and/or creamed corn, and a cream pie (probably banana).


I'm thinking this energy problem may just be that gettin' old thing where the metabolism starts slowing down, 'cause my get-up-and-go feels like it got-up-and-went too.

Hey, free food is nice!

Meatloaf? Don't you know how to make meatloaf? 'Taint that difficult. I used to make mine very similarly to this one, except that I didn't use milk, just a little water (NOT a cupful!), and I added a little dried bell pepper. No sugar in the topping though, just ketchup and mustard with a little bit of hot sauce if you like: http://allrecipes.com/video/67...ngContentType=recipe

My mom used to make a simple side dish of boiled potatoes and green beans. Just boil potatoes and beans in salted water with butter, drain and sprinkle with a bit of pepper. I have some frozen haricot verts and a small bag of baby potatoes just waiting to be cooked.

Another one is sliced summer squash and chopped onion boiled in water with salt and butter with a sprinkle of pepper if desired. So simple and so good!

I have been craving pumpkin pie. Finally had Instacart deliver one Wednesday morning (along with a week's worth of groceries). Love it for breakfast with coffee. Nothin' better.

You need me to send you something?


While I did break down and buy some ground beef for tacos, it's way to expensive unless I can get it at the Smart and Final.

Anyway, me cook?

I'm semi-tired of pumpkin pies.

And I'm relatively ok. Just day-dreaming......


Ground beef for chili or tacos can be cooked in the microwave oven in a plastic collander. Of course you need a pie pan under it!


Cooking ground beef for tacos or chili I can do, meatloaf would be much more problematic.

Smile   :)


Hubby does his in foil, I think mushroom soup covers it but it’s been a while!


I used to love mushroom soup. Haven't had it in years as I became sick and tired of it.

Would love some sort of creamy soup though, it's good weather here now for warm to hot food.


Btw, hope things work out ok with your doctor.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Allan:
I just have to share this with you all. Please, Vicki, understand I accept you as one of us.

[i]Written by V. A. Bailey (under different title)

That was a touching story.

According to Snopes, it has been circulating since 1979 but no one knows who V.A. Bailey is.

Thank-you, Allan.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vicki
 
Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
I woke up yesterday morning to minus 8 degrees F. It looks like the snow that finally fell Tuesday and Wednesday is here to stay. It also looks like we are going to have another white Christmas in northern Idaho-yay! Thankfully, I think everyone's power has been restored and the rural roads have all been plowed.

I was so certain from the weather forecast that our snow would turn to rain on Tuesday afternoon, that I didn't cancel our ladies' Bible study group. Unfortunately, it just kept snowing. One lady had to be towed out of her parking place by her husband. The ladies (and one husband) were able to get me unstuck with a bit of hands on pushing as I put my car in reverse and backed out.

Our church's youth group party was cancelled due to the storm, power outages, etc. My family has been trying to eat the 35 stuffed egg halves that I made, as well as the meat and cheese tray I ordered. Stuffed eggs with fruit and cheese make a great breakfast.

Merry Christmas, everyone!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vicki
 
Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
I woke up yesterday morning to minus 8 degrees F. It looks like the snow that finally fell Tuesday and Wednesday is here to stay. It also looks like we are going to have another white Christmas in northern Idaho-yay! Thankfully, I think everyone's power has been restored and the rural roads have all been plowed.

I was so certain from the weather forecast that our snow would turn to rain on Tuesday afternoon, that I didn't cancel our ladies' Bible study group. Unfortunately, it just kept snowing. One lady had to be towed out of her parking place by her husband. The ladies (and one husband) were able to get me unstuck with a bit of hands on pushing as I put my car in reverse and backed out.

Our church's youth group party was cancelled due to the storm, power outages, etc. My family has been trying to eat the 35 stuffed egg halves that I made, as well as the meat and cheese tray I ordered. Stuffed eggs with fruit and cheese make a great breakfast.

Merry Christmas, everyone!


Dang, that's cold! It hasn't been -8 degrees here since 1985, thank goodness. We had broken water pipes everywhere.

Merry Christmas!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Sorry to hear she is so tired, but I can identify, and she has a few years on me. I’m in the ER for results from CT scan. I was sent here by DR to rule out cardiac etiology!


Well, tell 'em to hurry up and rule it out!

Meanwhile, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.


Speaking of which my cortisol test came back ok. My cardiologist doesn't think my energy problem is caused by my heart offhand (and offhand I don't think so either except on hot days anyway).

I've been having somr free hot food this week courtesy of my neighbor, who changed his diet and can't use the restaraunt coupons fully.

And it actually got cold this morning (as in I had to use another cover).

And I'm daydreaming of meatloaf (just give me the entire thing, and something offbeat), twice-baked mash potatoes (or some other unusual concoction), peas and carrots and/or creamed corn, and a cream pie (probably banana).


I'm thinking this energy problem may just be that gettin' old thing where the metabolism starts slowing down, 'cause my get-up-and-go feels like it got-up-and-went too.

Hey, free food is nice!

Meatloaf? Don't you know how to make meatloaf? 'Taint that difficult. I used to make mine very similarly to this one, except that I didn't use milk, just a little water (NOT a cupful!), and I added a little dried bell pepper. No sugar in the topping though, just ketchup and mustard with a little bit of hot sauce if you like: http://allrecipes.com/video/67...ngContentType=recipe

My mom used to make a simple side dish of boiled potatoes and green beans. Just boil potatoes and beans in salted water with butter, drain and sprinkle with a bit of pepper. I have some frozen haricot verts and a small bag of baby potatoes just waiting to be cooked.

Another one is sliced summer squash and chopped onion boiled in water with salt and butter with a sprinkle of pepper if desired. So simple and so good!

I have been craving pumpkin pie. Finally had Instacart deliver one Wednesday morning (along with a week's worth of groceries). Love it for breakfast with coffee. Nothin' better.

You need me to send you something?


While I did break down and buy some ground beef for tacos, it's way to expensive unless I can get it at the Smart and Final.

Anyway, me cook?

I'm semi-tired of pumpkin pies.

And I'm relatively ok. Just day-dreaming......


Ground beef for chili or tacos can be cooked in the microwave oven in a plastic collander. Of course you need a pie pan under it!


Cooking ground beef for tacos or chili I can do, meatloaf would be much more problematic.

Smile   :)


Hubby does his in foil, I think mushroom soup covers it but it’s been a while!


I used to love mushroom soup. Haven't had it in years as I became sick and tired of it.

Would love some sort of creamy soup though, it's good weather here now for warm to hot food.


Btw, hope things work out ok with your doctor.


Thanks. As for cream of mushroom I got tired of it too. Try some of the butter squash cream soups, some are quite good. Pumpkin or peanut are harder to find and not alwsys reaslnable. Cream of chicken used to be good, but I haven’t liked it lately.
 
Posts: 11141 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. As for cream of mushroom I got tired of it too. Try some of the butter squash cream soups, some are quite good. Pumpkin or peanut are harder to find and not alwsys reaslnable. Cream of chicken used to be good, but I haven’t liked it lately.


I decided to experiment on a tomato bistro(?)soup that looks thick and creamy. Other thought was the chicken and dumpling, I really miss dumplings.

The creamy tomato bistro soup was good.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
An evangelical who went against Trump,

https://www.politico.com/magaz...-christianity-216068


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Bryan, that was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vicki
 
Posts: 455 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:

Thanks. As for cream of mushroom I got tired of it too. Try some of the butter squash cream soups, some are quite good. Pumpkin or peanut are harder to find and not alwsys reaslnable. Cream of chicken used to be good, but I haven’t liked it lately.


I decided to experiment on a tomato bistro(?)soup that looks thick and creamy. Other thought was the chicken and dumpling, I really miss dumplings.

The creamy tomato bistro soup was good.


Agreed tomato bisque can be good. Do new potatoes make a substitute for dumplings for you? They used to be reasonable, canned.
 
Posts: 11141 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
Bryan, that was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.


Welcome. She has a website to, just search under her name.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
Bryan, that was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.


Agreed!
 
Posts: 11141 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas, y'all !!

Are you stuffed and gettin' in a nap, you bunch of old fogies? Busted!   :busted:

Hey, 47 years and counting, we are still feeding the hungry:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/loca...mas-dinner/668603420

Oh yeah, and this is the coldest Christmas we've had in 7 years:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/loca...in-7-years/668749619

And the flu is spreading like wildfire...about half my family has it so no family gathering this year. Bummer.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan: I decided to experiment on a tomato bistro(?)soup that looks thick and creamy. Other thought was the chicken and dumpling, I really miss dumplings.

The creamy tomato bistro soup was good.


A good cheat for the fluffy biscuit chicken and dumplings is to buy frozen biscuits, cut them up and drop them into chicken soup...
https://www.instacart.com/smar...rmilk-biscuits-36-ct

You need to hang out with some college kids - they know all the tricks Smile   :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
oops...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
Welcome. She has a website to, just search under her name.


Good to see that at least some of them are starting to wake up.

Good on her and then some!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan: I decided to experiment on a tomato bistro(?)soup that looks thick and creamy. Other thought was the chicken and dumpling, I really miss dumplings.

The creamy tomato bistro soup was good.


A good cheat for the fluffy biscuit chicken and dumplings is to buy frozen biscuits, cut them up and drop them into chicken soup...
https://www.instacart.com/smar...rmilk-biscuits-36-ct

You need to hang out with some college kids - they know all the tricks Smile   :)


I've seen some.

I don't want the chicken soup though. Just dumplings, stuffed is ok to depending. They'd go well with that tomato briscuit too I admit.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan: I decided to experiment on a tomato bistro(?)soup that looks thick and creamy. Other thought was the chicken and dumpling, I really miss dumplings.

The creamy tomato bistro soup was good.


A good cheat for the fluffy biscuit chicken and dumplings is to buy frozen biscuits, cut them up and drop them into chicken soup...
https://www.instacart.com/smar...rmilk-biscuits-36-ct

You need to hang out with some college kids - they know all the tricks Smile   :)


I've seen some.

I don't want the chicken soup though. Just dumplings, stuffed is ok to depending. They'd go well with that tomato briscuit too I admit.


Don't think I've ever had dumplings that weren't in a chicken based soup or the stuffed kind served with a dipping sauce....

But there is also ravioli. My fav is Butternut Squash and Sage Ravioli cooked with Turkey Sausage Crumbles and either baby spinach or kale:

https://evolfoods.com/our-food...quash-sage-ravioli-2

https://www.jimmydean.com/products/sausage-crumbles


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan: I decided to experiment on a tomato bistro(?)soup that looks thick and creamy. Other thought was the chicken and dumpling, I really miss dumplings.

The creamy tomato bistro soup was good.


A good cheat for the fluffy biscuit chicken and dumplings is to buy frozen biscuits, cut them up and drop them into chicken soup...
https://www.instacart.com/smar...rmilk-biscuits-36-ct

You need to hang out with some college kids - they know all the tricks Smile   :)


I've seen some.

I don't want the chicken soup though. Just dumplings, stuffed is ok to depending. They'd go well with that tomato briscuit too I admit.


Don't think I've ever had dumplings that weren't in a chicken based soup or the stuffed kind served with a dipping sauce....

But there is also ravioli. My fav is Butternut Squash and Sage Ravioli cooked with Turkey Sausage Crumbles and either baby spinach or kale:

https://evolfoods.com/our-food...quash-sage-ravioli-2

https://www.jimmydean.com/products/sausage-crumbles


My mother made plain dumplings tobe used in various ways. Or sometimes plum dumplings. The Vietnamese shop stuffed them with egg and maybe something else.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
My mother made plain dumplings tobe used in various ways. Or sometimes plum dumplings. The Vietnamese shop stuffed them with egg and maybe something else.


Plain dumplings like this?
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/r...lings-spatzen-320154

or like this?
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/gnocchi-pastas

Plum dumplings like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkr0CfHyA2I

Egg dumplings like this?
http://www.finecooking.com/rec...on-dumplings-jiao-zi


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
My mother made plain dumplings tobe used in various ways. Or sometimes plum dumplings. The Vietnamese shop stuffed them with egg and maybe something else.


Plain dumplings like this?
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/r...lings-spatzen-320154

or like this?
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/gnocchi-pastas

Plum dumplings like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkr0CfHyA2I

Egg dumplings like this?
http://www.finecooking.com/rec...on-dumplings-jiao-zi


If I recall, and it's been awhile my mother would make the dough with yeast and let it rise overnight. If she did the stuffed dumblings with plums, the entire plum would be used (seed would be left in). I think she boiled them, then baked them.

The Vietnamese dumplings were larger as I recall, like a 1/2 sandwich type deal.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bryan j borich
 
Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata       Page: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 50 
 

    Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?

© 2003-2020 Aantares Online LLC. All Rights Reserved.