Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Refugee Camp?
      Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 50
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Amazon Refugee Camp?
 Login/Register 
Here to stay...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Rodgers:
Exactly how does one get to this Amazon bb all you panentheists are fleeing from?

Well for Christianity there's:

https://www.amazon.com/forum/c...Forum=Fx77WQHU8YS50Z

For others not listed on the most active list at the bottom you can google search

site:https://www.amazon.com/forum forum

The above search gives a big list and you can replace the second forum with a particular topic if you want (like Judaism).

Posts: 1051 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
quote:
Originally posted by robinhood:
quote:

I'm pretty close to that. This group from Amazon is very diverse. Some are Christians, some are Jewish, at least two are Panentheists, and at least one atheist. I was a Fundie Christian for over 30 years but have abandoned that completely. We all usually get along fairly well too.

And Bry would be classified as??????

Panentheist

Shouldn't you let him answer that? I guess panentheist fits him if you insist on the standard definitions, but I would probably have answered "clown shaman." Smile   :)

--Linda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18699 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
@bluelamp,

Speaking of the Judaism forum, someone has been giving me a hard time there today - AGAIN! She's a real control freak when it comes to what may or may not be posted on the Judaism forum, all according to her own unilateral definitions of a "Jewish" topic. Yeah, it annoys me because it's mostly directed at me, but she comes across sounding like a real crank. She gets really shrill and I don't think she realizes how bad it makes her look.

--Linda

Posts: 18699 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty close to that. This group from Amazon is very diverse. Some are Christians, some are Jewish, at least two are Panentheists, and at least one atheist. I was a Fundie Christian for over 30 years but have abandoned that completely. We all usually get along fairly well too.

Panentheist

Shouldn't you let him answer that? I guess panentheist fits him if you insist on the standard definitions, but I would probably have answered "clown shaman." Smile   :)

Yeah technically you, I, and Bry could all fall under panentheism which would miss nuances like Jewish Gnostic or Catholic Paleochristian or Clown Shaman (good description!)

Posts: 1051 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
@bluelamp,

Speaking of the Judaism forum, someone has been giving me a hard time there today - AGAIN! She's a real control freak when it comes to what may or may not be posted on the Judaism forum, all according to her own unilateral definitions of a "Jewish" topic. Yeah, it annoys me because it's mostly directed at me, but she comes across sounding like a real crank. She gets really shrill and I don't think she realizes how bad it makes her look.

I didn't look there today but I did see earlier someone saying our new place here is right for you which came across as some kind of odd passive aggressive insult. I almost responded but she did seem rather possessive of the Jewish forum; not sure how she would react to a Catholic who doesn't think Jesus was historical?

There is a generic Religion forum there and one can make separate religion topics here if one wanted so her point about here vs there isn't all that valid though the small numbers here do kind of require mixing which is a good thing. Mixing should be good for large numbers too. For large or small numbers there could be really special purpose topics (like some formal praying or something) where I could see it would be good to respect privacy for a topic but as a general rule mixing is good I would think.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Panentheist

A Jewish panentheist? Shaman. Except theist is really the wrong term.

One of the Living dead?

A pest?

Possibly an Entheotheist (spelled that wrong probably)?

Follower of demons......according to some

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
[QUOTE]Don't worry, God won't hold you responsible for not believing in yourself.

Might it be "God" is nothing more than an ancient group of letters used for an as-yet unknown concept which has a simple explanation now we know so much more?

After all, we used the letter grouping "Poseidon" to explain earthquakes, "Zeus" to explain lightning, "Aphrodite" and "Eros" to explain the attraction we may have had for each other in a different dimension, "demons" to explain disease and other problems.

Perhaps now we know so much more, we need to find a neologism to describe this concept.

Perhaps something along the lines of a "Universal Gaia"?

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 2955 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
[QUOTE]Don't worry, God won't hold you responsible for not believing in yourself.

Might it be "God" is nothing more than an ancient group of letters used for an as-yet unknown concept which has a simple explanation now we know so much more?

After all, we used the letter grouping "Poseidon" to explain earthquakes, "Zeus" to explain lightning, "Aphrodite" and "Eros" to explain the attraction we may have had for each other in a different dimension, "demons" to explain disease and other problems.

Perhaps now we know so much more, we need to find a neologism to describe this concept.

To small.

bryan j borich

Posts: 477 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Granted, people define God in different ways, but we should remember that the Spirit is not defined by the material. It is what it is, but I think we've barely scratched the surface in beginning to understand it.

When I attempt to conceptualize it, I always seem to run out of space and matter; it's always just outside of what my mind can grasp.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6536 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
"To(o) small."

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

Posts: 6536 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah technically you, I, and Bry could all fall under panentheism which would miss nuances like Jewish Gnostic or Catholic Paleochristian or Clown Shaman (good description!)

Bluelamp,

Clown Shaman was Bryan's own description of himself a few years ago. You have to agree it fits! Smile   :)

--Linda

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Granted, people define God in different ways, but we should remember that the Spirit is not defined by the material. It is what it is, but I think we've barely scratched the surface in beginning to understand it.

When I attempt to conceptualize it, I always seem to run out of space and matter; it's always just outside of what my mind can grasp.

JR,

Very well said. The Spirit is what it is, and we've barely scratched the surface in beginning to understand it.

If anything defines this group, I would say that we are people who have stopped expecting God to fit our definitions. Or worse, demanding that God fit our definitions. It just doesn't work that way.

--Linda

Here to stay...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah I literally run out of spacetime and matter (aka philosophical idealism not materialism) when thinking of God as Clifford algebra tensor product superimposed information above the Planck energy. Above the Planck energy, there's no vector math for spacetime, no bivector math for force particles, and no spinor math for matter/antimatter but there is superposition math for consciousness.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluelamp:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah I literally run out of spacetime and matter (aka philosophical idealism not materialism) when thinking of God as Clifford algebra tensor product superimposed information above the Planck energy. Above the Planck energy, there's no vector math for spacetime, no bivector math for force particles, and no spinor math for matter/antimatter but there is superposition math for consciousness.

Sheesh man! Are you deliberately trying to hurt my head? LOL... You're talking math that's way above my education level. Never mind that I get a wee bit uncomfortable when one attempts to reduce spiritual things to mathematical equations.

That's a whole 'nother language to me. One I'm not acquainted with. Sorry!

Freshie...
Picture of mary spaulding
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think that Jesus has done a very good job of showing us what God is like and what he wants from us. To love God with our whole being and to love each other.

j m jones

Posts: 31 | Location: Redding California | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Emerging...
Picture of robinhood
posted Hide Post
The opening line of Tao Te Ching says “The Tao that can be spoken of is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name.” If the Tao could be defined it would not be the Tao.

Yes, that's helpful I know.

The word Tao, literally means “way” or “path.” It could be defined as “the way things are” or “the way things work” in Nature, however it is much more than this. The Tao is essentially ultimate reality. It is the principle behind the universe. It is an expression for the profound unity of the universe and it is the relationships between all the many pieces of the universe. It is the universe and how it works – Nature and its patterns. It is everywhere and flows through everything. It is everything. It is also the pattern by which we should live our lives. It is all these things and more – it is the ultimate, mystery that can only be experienced not described.

Which would be my explanation of my god. No math required.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”

Posts: 66 | Location: PacNorthwest | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
"I think that Jesus has done a very good job of showing us what God is like and what he wants from us. To love God with our whole being and to love each other."

Oh, I agree. But when one attempts to 'define' God (The Father/or Mother (for those who are gender sensitive)), the enormity defies definition, imho.

Emerging...
Picture of robinhood
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, I agree. But when one attempts to 'define' God (The Father/or Mother (for those who are gender sensitive)), the enormity defies definition, imho.

Why do you have to use gender? I have read long essays talking about god and not once was the pronouns he/she or it used.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”

Posts: 66 | Location: PacNorthwest | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
"The opening line of Tao Te Ching says “The Tao that can be spoken of is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name.” If the Tao could be defined it would not be the Tao."

Yep. The finite cannot define the Infinite.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
"Why do you have to use gender? I have read long essays talking about god and not once was the pronouns he/she or it used."

Long years of habit... I actually don't think of God in terms of gender. But since Christians use the term 'Father'...