Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Welcome Newbies
      Page: 1 2 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Welcome Newbies
 Login/Register 
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted
Welcome Friends of Raksha…Hug-Group    :hugg:

Feel free. Don't hold back, she sure doesn't Wink   ;)

Dixie Chick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mama says that ****** is as ****** does...... Forrest

Posts: 56056 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Chick:

Dixie Chick

LOL! You know me only too well, Dixie. I guess everyone on Aantares does, at least everyone who's been around for a while.

She hasn't said this in so many words, but I suspect CJ was hugely relieved when she found out I was attempting to revive the R&S board by bringing over a bunch of newly-homeless Amazon refugees and their friends.

She was probably afraid I was planning a full-scale invasion of the News BB with a horde of wild-eyed lefties and anarchists. You know, "Behave yourself or I'll sic the Black Bloc on ya!"

Actually, that happens next week. It's what I do for an encore. Wink   ;)

--Linda

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18659 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
She can handle the anarchists…it's the trolls who stalk them who are the most obnoxious.

D

Posts: 56056 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
@Dixie and everyone:

I see three names on the "Newest Members" list that I recognize from Amazon.

However, a few people are reporting to me that they are having trouble completing their Aantares registration. According to one of them, "I've responded to their request to verify the e.mail, they say it's done, but then they say I'm not registered. Round and round we go...."

Another one reports that Aantares won't accept any of the passwords she has tried to create. It seems there are some technical glitches that are going to require CJ's attention. I haven't seen her around Aantares today, although I've been here myself several times.

I'll try to alert her to the situation elsewhere.

--Linda

Posts: 18659 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freshie...
Picture of Craig
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the warm welcome, it will be fun to get to know this community.
quote:

Dixie Chick

Posts: 32 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
She can handle the anarchists…it's the trolls who stalk them who are the most obnoxious.

That was a concern on Amazon as well, where the trolls have done so much damage to the community. Even when they don't persecute longtime members and get them banned as they are currently doing, they create a very hostile atmosphere on the forums at the best of times. But then that's what trolls DO.

I'm sorta proud of my response in the way I handled the question, so I'm reposting my Amazon reply here.
quote:
robb: Can you keep the riffraff out?

Linda: Probably not, but it doesn't really matter. On such a small forum, one where I have known the administrator and the moderators for years, they can't be anonymous like they are here at Amazon. They would very quickly out themselves for the trolls they are.

Amazon is SO huge that it's impossible for the administrators to investigate each complaint or each banning individually. They can only go by the *number* of complaints, not whether or not any of them are justified. If any members of the posse pestered the mods on a smaller forum with a lot of bullspit alerts about imaginary "offenses," they would very soon get the boot themselves. I doubt if they'd even try.

There are ordinary garden-variety trolls, and then there are Amazon trolls, who are the Ebola virus of trolldom.

The only thing worse are Hasbara trolls, which you also find on Facebook and everywhere else. Hasbara trolls specialize in pro-Israel propaganda. Very often they are paid trolls, although you can never prove that about any given individual. On Amazon you mostly find them on the Israel/Palestine topics on the History forum, and some have been there for years. I have the worst of them on ignore. They get banned occasionally, but soon come back again with different screen names. They get their opponents banned too, just like the born-again trolls on the Religion forums.

On the Religion forums they usually call themselves "born-again believers," and they are very aggressive, mean-spirited evangelical types. We had them on Prodigy too. I already went into a lot of detail about the malignant little clique we call the Posse on the other thread, so I won't get into that here. So far, none of them have shown up here at Aantares. I hope it stays that way.

--Linda

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazon is SO huge that it's impossible for the administrators to investigate each complaint or each banning individually. They can only go by the *number* of complaints, not whether or not any of them are justified. If any members of the posse pestered the mods on a smaller forum with a lot of bullspit alerts about imaginary "offenses," they would very soon get the boot themselves. I doubt if they'd even try.

There are ordinary garden-variety trolls, and then there are Amazon trolls, who are the Ebola virus of trolldom.

The only thing worse are Hasbara trolls, which you also find on Facebook and everywhere else. Hasbara trolls specialize in pro-Israel propaganda. Very often they are paid trolls, although you can never prove that about any given individual. On Amazon you mostly find them on the Israel/Palestine topics on the History forum, and some have been there for years. I have the worst of them on ignore. They get banned occasionally, but soon come back again with different screen names. They get their opponents banned too, just like the born-again trolls on the Religion forums.

On the Religion forums they usually call themselves "born-again believers," and they are very aggressive, mean-spirited evangelical types. We had them on Prodigy too. I already went into a lot of detail about the malignant little clique we call the Posse on the other thread, so I won't get into that here. So far, none of them have shown up here at Aantares. I hope it stays that way.

--Linda

They don't have this address do they?

Dixie

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dixie,

I posted the Aantares link on an open topic, but one frequented mostly by my crowd, aka "Allan's mob," many of whom are here already. At the time there was only one troll posting,* evidently a new member of the Posse going by the name Dime a Dozen. This person is so new I haven't gotten around to putting him or her on ignore yet. I'm kind of interested in seeing how long he lasts, if it is a he. I suspect it won't be very long. Last seen saying "Reported" over some bullspit imaginary offense.

That's basically how many of my friends got banned. There was someone here at Aantares who was so famous for that kind of thing we called her "the Queen of the Alert Button." A right-winger, naturally. Who was that? I remember her but don't remember her name.

--Linda

*However it's impossible to know how many are lurking (trolls and otherwise) at any given time.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
quote:
However it's impossible to know how many are lurking

Lurk... Lurk... Lurk...

Posts: 8992 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freshie...
Picture of Craig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
quote:

Dixie,

I posted the Aantares link on an open topic, but one frequented mostly by my crowd, aka "Allan's mob," many of whom are here already. At the time there was only one troll posting,* evidently a new member of the Posse going by the name Dime a Dozen. This person is so new I haven't gotten around to putting him or her on ignore yet. I'm kind of interested in seeing how long he lasts, if it is a he. I suspect it won't be very long. Last seen saying "Reported" over some bullspit imaginary offense.

That's basically how many of my friends got banned. There was someone here at Aantares who was so famous for that kind of thing we called her "the Queen of the Alert Button." A right-winger, naturally. Who was that? I remember her but don't remember her name.

--Linda

*However it's impossible to know how many are lurking (trolls and otherwise) at any given time.

The Troll you are referring to on Amazon named Dime a Dozen is a she, her name is Mary Russell and she used to post under that name. She then opened another account using the name "Jesus IS God" everyone called her Jig. That account got banned, when they ban at Amazon they ban that account only. So one need only open a new account using a new email address. She did that and called herself "Jesus IS God" again but got banned again. Then she opened another account and goes by "Dime a Dozen". When she used that name I asked if she was referring to email accounts. ;-) I doubt she will come here because to open the account here you have to give a real name, but you never know.

Posts: 32 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Troll you are referring to on Amazon named Dime a Dozen is a she, her name is Mary Russell and she used to post under that name. She then opened another account using the name "Jesus IS God" everyone called her Jig. That account got banned, when they ban at Amazon they ban that account only. So one need only open a new account using a new email address. She did that and called herself "Jesus IS God" again but got banned again. Then she opened another account and goes by "Dime a Dozen". When she used that name I asked if she was referring to email accounts. ;-) I doubt she will come here because to open the account here you have to give a real name, but you never know.

Craig,

Thank you for correcting my initial misperceptions about Dime a Dozen, and thank you especially for correcting it here on Aantares. I guess when she posted under her real name of Mary Russell it was before she got banned the first time.

Her partner in crime, the one I would call the ringleader of the whole demonic posse, posted as TDM (her real initials) a few years ago. Her first name is Tonya, and it wouldn't be hard to find out the rest of it. She published a book under her real name (I wonder who reads it?) and has linked to it on some of her "End Times" topics. Amazon archives things forever, so the most we'd have to do is scroll back a page or two on the closed topics and do a few searches.

There are more of them of course, but they are mostly cult follower types. They would be part of the "Amen Corner," but they aren't as likely to start trouble as those two. Tonya and Mary Russell (the word for female dog comes to mind here) are cult leaders, and therefore a lot more dangerous. They are also known troublemakers, so it's good to know there are only two of them.

No forum administrator is under any obligation to admit a known troublemaker from another forum. They would be admitted under heavy probation here if they were admitted at all. And then ZAP! at the very first infraction.

JR probably remembers Tonya/TDM's full name, or knows where to find it quickly. She can supply it the next time she posts here.

--Linda

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then she opened another account and goes by "Dime a Dozen". When she used that name I asked if she was referring to email accounts. ;-)

ROTF   :rotf:

Freshie...
Picture of Craig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
quote:

Craig,

Thank you for correcting my initial misperceptions about Dime a Dozen, and thank you especially for correcting it here on Aantares. I guess when she posted under her real name of Mary Russell it was before she got banned the first time.

Her partner in crime, the one I would call the ringleader of the whole demonic posse, posted as TDM (her real initials) a few years ago. Her first name is Tonya, and it wouldn't be hard to find out the rest of it. She published a book under her real name (I wonder who reads it?) and has linked to it on some of her "End Times" topics. Amazon archives things forever, so the most we'd have to do is scroll back a page or two on the closed topics and do a few searches.

There are more of them of course, but they are mostly cult follower types. They would be part of the "Amen Corner," but they aren't as likely to start trouble as those two. Tonya and Mary Russell (the word for female dog comes to mind here) are cult leaders, and therefore a lot more dangerous. They are also known troublemakers, so it's good to know there are only two of them.

No forum administrator is under any obligation to admit a known troublemaker from another forum. They would be admitted under heavy probation here if they were admitted at all. And then ZAP! at the very first infraction.

JR probably remembers Tonya/TDM's full name, or knows where to find it quickly. She can supply it the next time she posts here.

--Linda

TDM is Tonya D Mills, there is another one but doubt she would come here, Tinker who used to use her first name Cheri.

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
TDM is Tonya D Mills, there is another one but doubt she would come here, Tinker who used to use her first name Cheri.

Craig,

Thank you! I see I didn't have to wait for JR or take the time to do an Amazon search through the closed topics. Cheri aka Tinker is the one I had in mind specifically when I mentioned cult follower types. She grates on my nerves in a personal way with her twittering fake innocence and her inevitable "persecuted Christian" routine, but I agree with you that she's unlikely to come here. I don't consider her nearly as toxic as the other two.

--Linda

Steadfast...
Picture of Ictalurus Punctatus
posted Hide Post
Raksha, welcome to all your friends!

Also, were any of you new people once part of the Prodigy community?

If we stop listening to the other side, no matter how much we disagree, then we will grow further and further apart and solutions that we all want will never be found.

Posts: 16681 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Icky,

Thank you for those extremely creative welcome posters, this one and the one on the other thread. I wish I knew how to do that!

AFAIK none of the newbies are from Prodigy. I met all of them on the Amazon Judaism and Christianity forums. There are some I don't know very well--you might say they are acquaintances. OTOH there are others I've been very close to for several years now.

There is one exception--John Gonsowski aka bluelamp, who is one of my oldest Prodigy friends. But since I was the one who dragged him over to Amazon when this forum started getting so boring, I'm not sure if he counts.

--Linda

Steadfast...
Picture of Ictalurus Punctatus
posted Hide Post
Smile   :)

If we stop listening to the other side, no matter how much we disagree, then we will grow further and further apart and solutions that we all want will never be found.

Posts: 16681 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
JR probably remembers Tonya/TDM's full name, or knows where to find it quickly. She can supply it the next time she posts here.--Linda

Tonya D. Mills

And yes, Mary Russell. MC is Mary Catherine (don't have a last name).

Tinker is Cheri Sanchez.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4110 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ictalurus Punctatus:
Raksha, welcome to all your friends!

Also, were any of you new people once part of the Prodigy community?

Thanks!

And naw. Just an Amazon regular for the past 8 years or so.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4110 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freshie...
Picture of Craig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
JR probably remembers Tonya/TDM's full name, or knows where to find it quickly. She can supply it the next time she posts here.--Linda

Tonya D. Mills

And yes, Mary Russell. MC is Mary Catherine (don't have a last name).

Tinker is Cheri Sanchez.

I didn't know Cheri's last name.

Good to see you JR, Amazon has become very slow and boring. That happened a few years ago when they did some house cleaning. Do you remember Nico? She was hard to deal with but made the threads interesting at times.