Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Etc. Forums  Hop To Forums  Social Hour: Chit-chat 'bout this 'n that    Coast-to-coast cold, then a weekend snowstorm possible for South, East
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Coast-to-coast cold, then a weekend snowstorm possible for South, East
 Login/Register

AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted
quote:
First the cold, then the snow.

A widespread cold snap that will encompass nearly the entire U.S. this week will be followed by a potentially disruptive snowstorm in the South and East by the weekend.

"On Wednesday, temperatures will be near to below average from coast to coast," the National Weather Service said, with some of the most unusual cold expected across the eastern U.S

How cold? Early Wednesday and/or Thursday morning, temperatures are forecast to drop below freezing in portions of all 50 states, even in normally mild Florida and Hawaii. (In Florida, only the Panhandle should reach 32 degrees, while in Hawaii, the sub-freezing temps will be atop the Mauna Kea volcano.)

Overall, temperatures will be some 10 to 20 degrees below average for much of the week, the National Weather Service said. By week's end, cities such as Minneapolis and Chicago will only see high temperatures in the teens and 20s.

The cold air comes directly from the Canadian Arctic, the weather service said.

Then, the snow: A storm "is expected to bring a widespread wintry mess of snow, sleet and freezing rain through parts of the nation's southern tier and possibly the East Coast late this week into next weekend," the Weather Channel warned.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weat...rAUg?ocid=spartandhp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 113724 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Yawn   :yawn:

I'm sure that everyone here is capable of looking into weather conditions for themselves. Then, if looking for a long-range outlook, there are SCIENCE based sources one could consult.
quote:
NOAA Winter Forecast

Winter Outlook favors warmer temperatures for much of U.S.

Temperature Forecast Map

Wet southern states to contrast drought in West.

Precipitation Forecast Map
Here, locally:

Temperatures have been above normal, on most days, thus far thus year. The trees' leaves have finally "turned" but have not yet fallen. The following LINK goes to a photo that I took at about 3:30 pm today. In the lower left corner is a camellia bush and to the far right is a pine tree (both stay green all year round)... between those are some oak trees as evidence: The remainder of this month is forecast to be about "normal" (around 50 during the day and mid 30s at night).

DJT's THEME SONG:

~ I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth. ~

~ I know, you know, they're busy gathering proof. ~

~ Embrace my deceptions - learn how to bend, ~

~ Or these investigations will surely mean my end. ~

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:

I'm sure that everyone here is capable of looking into weather conditions for themselves. Then, if looking for a long-range outlook, there are SCIENCE based sources one could consult.
quote:
NOAA Winter Forecast

Temperature Forecast Map

Here, locally:

Temperatures have been above normal, on most days, thus far thus year. The trees' leaves have finally "turned" but have not yet fallen. The following LINK goes to a photo that I took at about 3:30 pm today. In the lower left corner is a camellia bush and to the far right is a pine tree (both stay green all year round)... between those are some oak trees as evidence: The remainder of this month is forecast to be about "normal" (around 50 during the day and mid 30s at night).

Yeah, AF, it's very nice here too. I guess some people focus on things that never happened especially when others could suffer. These are the same people who focus, on a daily basis, the suffering and misery of others who aren't white, male, and privileged...the ones who blew it all and ended up in a trailer despite their head-start advantages. And such people are so stupid that they aren't capable of reading their own doom and gloom reports; reports which indicate that bad things are heading right towards them!

HB

Posts: 22265 | Location: 1 | Mbr Since: 08-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by
Holy Bhagworm
posted
12-04-2018 04:24 PM

Posts: 113724 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by True Conservative:
quote:
Ignored post by
Holy Bhagworm
posted
12-04-2018 04:24 PM

Sorry, BAL! I got the ignored post instead of you. LOL!   :lol:

HB

Posts: 22265 | Location: 1 | Mbr Since: 08-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
It's a chilly 43 degrees in the Tampa Bay area this morning.

Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
quote:

Poor baby. 43 is a heat wave in Minnesota.

Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a liar.
Cruz called Trump a liar. I believe them both.

Posts: 48849 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
Picture of Ictalurus Punctatus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:

quote:
NOAA Winter Forecast

Temperature Forecast Map

Here, locally:

I couldn’t find any inclusion of another factor for short term climate impact, and that’s the unusually deep solar minimum we are just entering.
quote:
Sept. 27, 2018: The sun is entering one of the deepest Solar Minima of the Space Age. Sunspots have been absent for most of 2018, and the sun’s ultraviolet output has sharply dropped. New research shows that Earth’s upper atmosphere is responding.

“We see a cooling trend,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center. “High above Earth’s surface, near the edge of space, our atmosphere is losing heat energy. If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold.”

Granted, this is measuring the thermosphere, but the interesting speculation is how much this will happen impact the troposphere. Heat moves, and how much will infrared radiate into a colder thermosphere? Convection will be affected as will. But to what degrees? It’s a far too complex thermodynamic problem for most people... so for me it’s impossible to work that problem. And the data for input is still being recorded.
https://spaceweatherarchive.co...ll-of-solar-minimum/

If we stop listening to the other side, no matter how much we disagree, then we will grow further and further apart and solutions that we all want will never be found.

Posts: 16568 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
quote:

FOX 13's Paul Dellegatto

1 hr ·

El Niño pattern continues!! Strong cold front will bring Florida a round of showers and potentially strong/severe thunderstorms Sunday. The same storm will likely bring a major snow/ice event to North Carolina. Model data predicting up to two feet of snow!

(Facebook)

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

FOX 13's Paul Dellegatto

1 hr ·

El Niño pattern continues!! Strong cold front will bring Florida a round of showers and potentially strong/severe thunderstorms Sunday. The same storm will likely bring a major snow/ice event to North Carolina. Model data predicting up to two feet of snow!

(Facebook)

refer to my previous reply

DJT's THEME SONG:

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Fox God:
quote:

Poor baby. 43 is a heat wave in Minnesota.
Well, just like his hero FASCIST-in-Chief...
    it's all about him, always
Roll Eyes   :rolleyes:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post

I suppose every one of us could start a TOPIC regarding weather in our location. Come to think of it... I have relatives all over these United States. Maybe a topic for each one of those?

Hmmmm... pondering the possibilities. Wink   ;)

DJT's THEME SONG:

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Snow to blanket the South this weekend in major winter storm

quote:
A significant winter storm will take shape beginning Friday over the Southern Plains and Texas, then spread this weekend through the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic.

How far south freezing air will reach remains an open question, making it difficult to precisely forecast ice and snow accumulation.

Winter storm watches are already in place Thursday for 6 million people in northern Texas, Oklahoma and parts of Arkansas and Missouri.

As the storm develops, forecast models will more accurately predict the freezing line and thus the type of precipitation places will experience, CNN meteorologist Brandon Miller said.

Link

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Carolinas brace for heavy snow; 25 million in the South under winter weather alerts

quote:
The winter storm sweeping across the southern United States revealed its power Saturday by dropping 10 inches of snow on Lubbock, Texas -- 2 inches more than the city usually gets in a whole year.

"They crushed their yearly average in 24 hours," CNN meteorologist Ivan Cabrera said.

Having done its work in Texas, the storm will move east and is expected to pound the Carolinas with heavy snow Sunday, followed by rain, Cabrera said. Sleet and flooding are also possible across the South.

As much as 6 inches of snow might fall in Charlotte, North Carolina, and ice accumulations of a quarter of an inch to half an inch are possible.

"Six inches will shut that city down," CNN meteorologist Allison Chinchar said. "It's very much like any other Southern city ... where they don't have the resources that a lot of other cities have. They have few salt trucks, few snowplows. It takes them longer to clean something like that up."

Link

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carolinas brace for heavy snow; 25 million in the South under winter weather alerts

quote:
The winter storm sweeping across the southern United States revealed its power Saturday by dropping 10 inches of snow on Lubbock, Texas -- 2 inches more than the city usually gets in a whole year.

"They crushed their yearly average in 24 hours," CNN meteorologist Ivan Cabrera said.

Having done its work in Texas, the storm will move east and is expected to pound the Carolinas with heavy snow Sunday, followed by rain, Cabrera said. Sleet and flooding are also possible across the South.

As much as 6 inches of snow might fall in Charlotte, North Carolina, and ice accumulations of a quarter of an inch to half an inch are possible.

"Six inches will shut that city down," CNN meteorologist Allison Chinchar said. "It's very much like any other Southern city ... where they don't have the resources that a lot of other cities have. They have few salt trucks, few snowplows. It takes them longer to clean something like that up."

Link

Just in time to dump how much on Monday, on DC and cause another paid vacation for federal employees and cut some contractor’s incomes!

Posts: 5046 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
The National Weather Service just issued a tornado warning for my county in Florida until 9:30 am.

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Nothing happened except quite a bit of rain. Now the cool down begins.

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Swath of South faces wintry mess: Snow, sleet, freezing rain

quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A massive storm brought snow, sleet, and freezing rain across a wide swath of the South on Sunday — causing dangerously icy roads, immobilizing snowfalls and power losses to hundreds of thousands of people.

Accidents on snow-covered interstates caused major delays, hundreds of flights were canceled and drivers in North Carolina and Virginia got stuck in snow or lost control on icy patches. Meanwhile, kids and the young at heart took advantage of the early winter snow with snowball fights, sledding and snowmen.

Link

AAA+
posted Hide Post
A report on Fox 13, Tampa said some parts of North Carolina got 18 inches of snow.

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
A report on Fox 13, Tampa said some parts of North Carolina got 18 inches of snow.

That is news? I think not.

Western North Carolina has the highest elevations east of the Mississippi....some are almost 7,000. A friend writes that she has 24 inches on her deck and she is at 5500 ft.

Dix

Mama says that ****** is as ****** does...... Forrest

Posts: 55785 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL!   :lol:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
quote:

Western North Carolina has the highest elevations east of the Mississippi....some are almost 7,000. A friend writes that she has 24 inches on her deck and she is at 5500 ft.

Dix
This is true, Dixie... higher elevations get snow when lower elevations do not. For example:
quote:
NWS: Winter Storm Watch Issued

WA State: Winter Storm Watch in effect from late tonight through late Tuesday night above 2500 feet. Heavy snow possible above 2500 feet. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 3 feet possible.
Another thing which I find interesting (if not outright hypocritical)?

FRIGHTIE is among the most adamant & ignorant DENIERS. Yet, the very global warming which he DENIES is responsible for more severe weather events about which he posts (hurricanes, flooding, snow, fires). These are the very things which he runs here to POST about (all the while denying the cause). Roll Eyes   :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm considering whether such topics are better placed in the "Social Hour: Chit-chat 'bout this 'n that" forum? As I child, visiting my aunts, uncles, grandparents in the Lykens/Wiconisco PA area... I recall sitting on the back porch with my grandfather and listening to his stories about the winter weather up there. Their back porch was built on piers and had a stout railed-off deck. Their back yard really wasn't usable, as most of it quickly trailed-off down a steep mountain slope. My dad used to tell us that he had to get up at 4:00 am, shovel coal down the basement chute, then walk 5 miles in waist-deep snow UPHILL BOTH WAYS. Well, I don't know about the "five miles" but one had to go up and down hill frequently in order to reach most any destination... so that "uphill" part I can believe. LOL!   :lol:

DJT's THEME SONG:

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Dixie speaks! Karl gets on the case.

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Dixie: You can let go of the nose ring now.