Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    Do you back up your PC/laptop/tablet/phone?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Do you back up your PC/laptop/tablet/phone?
 Login/Register

Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted
Do you back up? Because of the insistence of a few people on the BB (former Prodigy members - Computer Guy, Jack Danniel & others), I did learn to properly back up & do it fairly regularly (for a home user). More than once, I was glad I did.

Early versions of Windows back-up were pretty useless. Manually saving files & settings to disks was time consuming, so it rarely got done. Windows XP did a decent job of backing up files & settings, but did not make a rescue disk or disk image. I found a program called Macrium Reflect (Free) which made the rescue disk & disk image & used it along with XP back up of files & settings to restore a XP laptop - worked very well. Windows 7 back up included creating a rescue disk & disk image, so I no longer needed the 3rd party program. I had to restore my PC after hard drive failure & the restore worked pretty well- had some partition issues that I was able to resolve. Windows 10 uses File History - which is not really a back-up, but you can still use the Windows 7 style back-up with 10 - it is not found in "settings", but you can find it in the control panel.

I have decided to go back to Macrium Reflect on the Windows 10 PC. The Free version includes creating the Rescue media, & will run full & differential back-ups. I have them scheduled to run at times when the PC is not in use. The rescue media now uses Windows PE to boot & load drivers (used to be Linux) - then restore from the disk image. The disk images are saved to an external hard drive.

Windows 7 laptop still using Windows 7 back-up, but I have to run it manually - because I always shut down the laptop when not in use.

I have not set any kind of back-up on my Surface. I don't save any files to it - only to One Drive. I have added very little in the way of software or apps - only Office 365 & alternate browser. My son (the MCP) doesn't think it is necessary, but I would like to have the rescue media & full reinstall of Windows 10 - would need to be a bootable USB for the rescue media.

My iPhone is backed up to iTunes on my PC & to iCloud. It backs up the apps, podcasts & music. I would assume an iPad would back up the same way. Very simple.

There are also cloud back-up services that you can purchase, but I have not tried any of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DianeZ

Posts: 1085 | Location: Maryland | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post