Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    Conectivity issues with my Surface 3
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Conectivity issues with my Surface 3
 Login/Register

Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted
So, the surface is definitely a toy that I don't use nearly as much as I thought I would. I had intended to replace my PC with my laptop & replace the laptop with the Surface 3 - but upgraded another PC instead and still use the laptop more than the Surface 3. Thought I would use it at work - but the iPhone 6 Plus is more convenient at work. Then the 4G LTE started dropping. Thought it was a T-Mobile issue - went to T-Mobile & got a new SIM card, but it didn't help. I could connect to Wi-Fi or Mobile Hot Spot, but LTE connection would drop within 1-2 minutes of connecting. Frustrating because I specifically paid more for this model to have 4G LTE capability & pay for the extra data plan. Finally decided to troubleshoot the problem. T-Mobile could not find anything wrong on their end & suggested I contact the seller & get it replaced. Seller said to contact Microsoft. Website said my warranty expired 10/30/16 & tech support call would be $29. Found out there is a Microsoft store at Columbia Mall - not too far - so I called the # & wound up talking to a Microsoft tech. They extended my warranty for 30 days to cover the call. Apparently, because I did not use it often & because of the connectivity problems, I had missed several important updates, including a firmware update for the 4G LTE. I had a very patient tech, who stayed with me through all the updates until I was able to connect to T-Mobile & stay connected. Still more of a toy than a tool, but glad that my toy is working properly again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DianeZ

Posts: 1085 | Location: Maryland | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post

I had a somewhat similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, several months after I bought the phone. The cause was that NEITHER the phone vendor (it's an AT&T Samsung) NOR my network provider (Cricket Wireless--owned by AT&T) would take responsibility for the problem.

The phone had lost several functions (but it still made & got phone calls) because it could NOT get a firmware update (I tried with both the Cricket 4G/LTE network AND my WiFi wireless home FiOS network)... when I tried the update (many times) the phone just "froze" (and I had to turn it off completely).

Solution? I took the phone back to the BEST BUY store where there are SAMSUNG Reps onsite all day/week/year long... one of the REPS connected the phone to his laptop and did the firmware update... problem solved!

- karl

Posts: 20574 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gawd-like News VIP
Picture of TheOldMole
posted Hide Post
I loved the Surface 3 until I dropped it and cracked the screen. Now touch screen won't work and cracked screen is prohibitively expensive to replace. Thinking of getting an Asus Trnsformer Book T100.

Otis (Tad) Richards
TheOldMole
of the MoleNet

http://opusforty.blogspot.com/

" Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon."
-- Santayana

Posts: 41182 | Location: Upstate New York | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted Hide Post
I have a nice protective case to avoid breaking it. Still like it better than the iPad.

DianeZ

Posts: 1085 | Location: Maryland | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gawd-like News VIP
Picture of TheOldMole
posted Hide Post
Do you have any thoughts about the cheaper Surface competitors, like the Asus? It's gotten good reviews.

Otis (Tad) Richards
TheOldMole
of the MoleNet

" Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon."
-- Santayana

Posts: 41182 | Location: Upstate New York | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted Hide Post
I really haven't tried anything but the iPad & the Surface. The whole reason for getting the Surface 3 with LTE capability was to have internet in places with no wi-fi. And it was a fully functioning Windows OS, which I could use software with, not just apps.

Before the Surface, I used my iPhone 6 Plus as my tablet. It works for most things I want to do & it fits in my purse. The iPad is just a big (expensive) iPhone that can't make phone calls except with face time.

I'm still partial to my Toshiba Windows 7 laptop & I learned how to use the mobile hot spot on my iPhone to connect where there is no wi-fi.

DianeZ

Gawd-like News VIP
Picture of TheOldMole
posted Hide Post
I just got an Asus Transformer Book -- reviews say it does nearly everything a Surface Pro will do, for $600 leas. Unfortunately, I may have to send it back because it won't recharge properly, but it's under warranty. It runs Windows 10, and for the 8 hours or so that I was able to use it, it seemed good. I'll keep you informed.

Otis (Tad) Richards
TheOldMole
of the MoleNet

-- Santayana