Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    Aantares Malware?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Aantares Malware?
 Login/Register

Zealot...
posted

FWIW:

I've seen concerns in at least a couple of forums (News and Religion) regarding this issue. I think the *warning* which is encountered when entering AANTARES.COM is a bit of hyper-overkill (false positive) by some online & anti-malware services... (particularly the GOOGLE search engine and the GOOGLE chrome browser).

I am not concerned by it. Why? I have a minimum of FOUR different anti-malware software products "running" at all times. They all "warn" about harmful sites (based on URLs in their databases)... and none of them issues a warning about AANTARES.COM
    * Using my Windows 10 PRO laptop: a GOOGLE search, and its search results, ALWAYS "warns" no matter which BROWSER (Chrome, Opera, Safari) I am using.

* I do not get any "warning" if I change the BROWSER's DEFAULT Search Engine to BING or YAHOO!

* Using my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge w/android v6: a GOOGLE search, and its search results, NEVER "warns" no matter which BROWSER (Samsung, Opera, Ghostery) I am using.
Others likely experience similar findings if/when they OPT to not use GOOGLE SEARCH and GOOGLE CHROME, on whatever "operating system platform" (ANDROID, LINUX, MAC, MICROSOFT, etc.).

I am comfortable and unconcerned when using AANTARES.COM and my multi-level detection products.

That is not to say that some LINKS posted by MEMBERS on AANTARES.COM couldn't present a malicious threat.

If anyone here encounters a *warning* while clicking any LINK posted on AANTARES.COM ... and then is so inclined to COPY/PASTE the LINK (without clicking it) to this topic ... I'll check it out for myself.

I have no clue as to HOW/WHY certain services/products are giving such a *warning* about AANTARES.COM (and I doubt they would respond to an inquiry from me).

The above said: YOU can check out any "suspect" URL/link for yourself at https://www.virustotal.com/ (among other services). Here's the AANTARES.COM result (I always tell it to REANALYZE) as of a few moments ago:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/...analysis/1499882441/

4 out of 65 see it as a problem, without indicating WHY... 61 of 65 do not see a problem.

...just my 2¢   :2cents:

Posts: 20528 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted Hide Post
The only time I've encountered a warning is when I tried to access Aantares with my Samsung smartphone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 97361 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aally
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
I'm not terribly concerned either. But I have to jump through hoops to logon or post something, and it gets old.

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 36296 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post

Lynn Dee,

You're saying once inside AANTARES, then clicking buttons/links to open/start/reply to TOPICS hereon (not links to content elsewhere), you encounter *warnings*?

I don't, so it might be some Browser addon OR some anti-malware product that's on your device. AANTARES internal links aren't a problem for me regardless of which anti-malware and browser I happen to have running

As you can see if clicking the "virustotal" link in my parent note... some see a problem, but the vast majority (of 65 tests) do not.

If so inclined; you might try a different default SEARCH ENGINE and/or BROWSER and/or temporarily DISABLE its addons/extensions to see if the problem goes away.

Posts: 20528 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aally
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:

Lynn Dee,

You're saying once inside AANTARES, then clicking buttons/links to open/start/reply to TOPICS hereon (not links to content elsewhere), you encounter *warnings*?

I don't, so it might be some Browser addon OR some anti-malware product that's on your device. AANTARES internal links aren't a problem for me regardless of which anti-malware and browser I happen to have running

As you can see if clicking the "virustotal" link in my parent note... some see a problem, but the vast majority (of 65 tests) do not.

If so inclined; you might try a different default SEARCH ENGINE and/or BROWSER and/or temporarily DISABLE its addons/extensions to see if the problem goes away.

Internal links haven't been a problem for me either, although I've wondered if one of the internal links is what's generating the whole "advise and consent" thing -- meaning, an internal link may be setting a warning status even though, once I get to the link (if I ever have), there's no problem.

The problem for me is at home, where I use a MacBook laptop, when I want to log on, and again when I want to post something. Depending on the browser, I get various screens warning of bad things happening and in which I have to step through a set of selections insisting I really want to do this. One browser has a warning procedure that is impossible for me to step through to post because I end up in an endless loop of advise and consent.

This doesn't happen at work, where I use a PC.

P.S. I talked with my brother a while back, and he ran a couple of those tests where you can look at flag settings in various browsers, for an individual website. And he said, yeah, there's something going on with aantares. I don't remember what he said, because I wasn't going to do anything with it. I'll check my email and see if I can "refresh my memory."

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 36296 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the response, Lynn Dee.

I would be interested in what was said about flag settings... if you don't want to post it here you could PT me with it?

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

...just a bit more:

Browsers can offer to save PASSWORD and FORM-FILL and other things (such as auto-complete, spelling-checks, etc.) automatically, without prompting the user each time such things are encountered/needed. The following relates to the CHROME browser, but similar settings may exist in other browsers, operating systems and anti-malware. In most cases one can TURN-OFF (exclude) such warnings... but YMMV:

Avoiding the Not Secure Warning in Chrome

One potential cause (though maybe not the only one) is that BROWSERS may seek a SECURE (https) version of any website/page... and may issue a warning IF same is not secure while requiring a username & password for entry. AANTARES.COM offers no SECURE (site certificate) and thus no "https" version is available.

Within GOOGLE CHROME (and possibly other browsers) one can TURN-OFF such warnings ( https://support.google.com/chr...form%3DDesktop&hl=en ).

Users of CHROME, FIREFOX and OPERA can choose to employ the HTTPS EVERYWHERE extensions offered by EFF ( https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere ). Doing this will NOT make UNsecure sites any more SECURE, but it WILL ALWAYS seek a SECURE version of websites/pages while you go surfing (clicking links, willy-nilly).

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

...a bit more:

Using the CHROME browser? If you choose to do so, you can EXCLUDE/EXEMPT all pages within the AANTARES.COM domain by adding the domain to be exempted as follows:

quote:
Allow or block content settings for certain sites

You can set exceptions to your content settings (like plugins, JavaScript, and notifications) for specific websites. Learn more about changing your content settings.

Without changing your default settings, you can add an exception to the default for a specific website or domain. For example, by default, Chrome allows cookies to save local data from sites. But if you don't trust a site, you can add an exception to block cookies on only that site.

To add an exception to your content settings, follow these steps:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
2. At the top right, click More More and then Settings.
3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
4. Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
5. Click the type of content that you want to update.
6. Next to "Block" or "Allow," click Add.
7. Enter the web address.
  * To create exceptions for an entire domain, insert [*.] before the domain name. For example,[*.]google.com will match drive.google.com and calendar.google.com.
  * You can also specify an IP address, an IPv6 address, or a non-http URL.
8. Click Add.

You can also remove exceptions you don't want any more. Next to the site or domain, click More More and then Remove.
Similar settings might be available within other browsers.

FWIW

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

...just a brief follow-up:

Since there is also discussion of this issue over in the NEWS Forum, I have posted additional notes over there, which might be of interest to those who do not frequent the NEWS forum. Within that ongoing topic, my first reply (of several) begins here:

http://aantares.com/eve/forums...660065786#2660065786

NEVER appease, capitulate-to, or cooperate-with a FASCIST government!
FASCISM = Corporate OWNERSHIP of Government

Regular...
Picture of Whit
posted Hide Post
Never a regular here, then AWOL for several years, but on a whim thought I'd drop by and see what the Ants are doing these days...only to get the attached full page warning from my Firefox browser...followed by no problem using IE. Hard to tell who to believe these days, but seeing this topic and the apparent consensus there's nothing amiss, thought I'd at least report what FF's reporting on y'all.

ImageFF4.jpg (134 Kb, 3 downloads) FF warning

Posts: 625 | Location: East of L.A. | Mbr Since: 11-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted Hide Post
I get the malware warning with Chrome, but not IE (haven't tried with Firefox). I thought Aants had been hacked. Tried to contact CJ (on another forum) but she did not respond. Good to know you have thoroughly tested it. I suppose I can go into Chrome settings - or just use IE

DianeZ

Posts: 1085 | Location: Maryland | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post

FWIW,

In the discussion of this, over in NEWS... both FIREFOX and CHROME use the "google safe browsing" feature. It is obviously, IMO, a bit of overkill/false-positive... as scores of other anti-malware products find no problem with the "aantares" domain (as i have posted in the lengthy discussions).

Other products (both browsers and anti-malware) find no problem... temporarily TURN OFF "google safe browsing" and there is no warning)

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

As cited by Lynn Dee, here, the WARNING (i.e., initiated by "Google Safe Browsing" and others as well), no longer appears on the AANTARES domain.

The latest analysis at "virustotal" indicates that only 1 of 65 sources sees this domain as problematic (without specifying any details). I suspect THAT will soon be lifted as well:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/...c465cb3ccf/analysis/

Perhaps of interest?

Of the two website scanners available on "virustotal", beneath the ADDITIONAL INFORMATION tab, here are the latest results from:

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/aantares.com
    Domain clean by Google Safe Browsing: aantares.com
    Domain clean by Norton Safe Web: aantares.com
    Domain clean on Phish tank: aantares.com
    Domain clean on the Opera browser: aantares.com
    Domain clean by SiteAdvisor: aantares.com
    Domain clean by the Sucuri Malware Labs blacklist: aantares.com
    Domain clean on SpamHaus DBL: aantares.com
    Domain clean on Yandex (via Sophos): aantares.com
    Domain clean by ESET: aantares.com

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
quote:
As cited by Lynn Dee, here, the WARNING (i.e., initiated by "Google Safe Browsing" and others as well), no longer appears on the AANTARES domain.

Same here. Tried it this morning on Firefox, and no warnings so far.

Posts: 8262 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the confirmation, Henry.

Since FIREFOX uses "Google Safe Browsing", and THAT no longer sees this domain as problematic... I think those two factors explain what happened.

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

...follow-up:
    I just went to:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/url
    and performed another scan of the aantares.com domain (Last analysis 2017-11-09 20:42:05 UTC)
    0 of 65 scanners saw a problem with the aantares.com domain
Back when this was first being discussed, virustotal.com analysis indicated that 61 of 65 scanners found nothing worrisome about the aantares.com domain (as per the LINK at the bottom of the below quoted post.
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:

FWIW:

I've seen concerns in at least a couple of forums (News and Religion) regarding this issue. I think the *warning* which is encountered when entering AANTARES.COM is a bit of hyper-overkill (false positive) by some online & anti-malware services... (particularly the GOOGLE search engine and the GOOGLE chrome browser).

I am not concerned by it. Why? I have a minimum of FOUR different anti-malware software products "running" at all times. They all "warn" about harmful sites (based on URLs in their databases)... and none of them issues a warning about AANTARES.COM
    * Using my Windows 10 PRO laptop: a GOOGLE search, and its search results, ALWAYS "warns" no matter which BROWSER (Chrome, Opera, Safari) I am using.

* I do not get any "warning" if I change the BROWSER's DEFAULT Search Engine to BING or YAHOO!

* Using my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge w/android v6: a GOOGLE search, and its search results, NEVER "warns" no matter which BROWSER (Samsung, Opera, Ghostery) I am using.
Others likely experience similar findings if/when they OPT to not use GOOGLE SEARCH and GOOGLE CHROME, on whatever "operating system platform" (ANDROID, LINUX, MAC, MICROSOFT, etc.).

I am comfortable and unconcerned when using AANTARES.COM and my multi-level detection products.

That is not to say that some LINKS posted by MEMBERS on AANTARES.COM couldn't present a malicious threat.

If anyone here encounters a *warning* while clicking any LINK posted on AANTARES.COM ... and then is so inclined to COPY/PASTE the LINK (without clicking it) to this topic ... I'll check it out for myself.

I have no clue as to HOW/WHY certain services/products are giving such a *warning* about AANTARES.COM (and I doubt they would respond to an inquiry from me).

The above said: YOU can check out any "suspect" URL/link for yourself at https://www.virustotal.com/ (among other services). Here's the AANTARES.COM result (I always tell it to REANALYZE) as of a few moments ago:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/...analysis/1499882441/

4 out of 65 see it as a problem, without indicating WHY... 61 of 65 do not see a problem.

...just my 2¢   :2cents: