Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    Does Windows 10 "Fall Creators Update" Measure Up (ransomware protection)?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Does Windows 10 "Fall Creators Update" Measure Up (ransomware protection)?
 Login/Register

Zealot...
posted
quote:
Is the new Windows 10 ransomware protection enough to keep you safe?

The Fall Creators Update comes packed with a bunch of security improvements aimed at tightening up the Windows 10 architecture. This includes the removal (from clean Windows 10 installs, at least) of the woefully vulnerable SMBv1 protocol, which was responsible for the massive WannaCry and Petya ransomware outbreaks earlier this year.

In the hopes of preventing a similarly devastating cyberattack, Microsoft has also rolled out Controlled Folder Access, a brand new security feature that is essentially Microsoft’s answer to the growing ransomware threat.

Controlled Folder Access is a new component of Windows Defender. As the name implies, it works by preventing applications from making unwanted changes to certain folders. When Controlled Folder Access is enabled, only whitelisted apps are able to modify Windows system files and data folders, meaning – in theory, at least – that your mission-critical data should be safe in the event of a ransomware infection.

By default, Controlled Folder Access is disabled. If you wish to enable it, follow these steps:
    - Open the Start Menu
    - Type “Windows Defender Security Center” and open the app
    - Select Virus & threat protection
    - Click Virus & threat protection settings
    - Scroll down until you find the Controlled folder access section
    - Click the on/off toggle to enable the feature
Once Controlled Folder Access is enabled, you can use the Protected folders sub-option to select which folders you wish to protect (e.g. folders containing important photos, documents and other personal files). Windows system folders are protected by default. You can also use the Allow an app through Controlled folder access section to create a whitelist of trusted programs that are allowed to modify files in the protected folders.

What does Emsisoft do differently?
...read more in the cited article

Disclaimer:
    I do not work for, nor am I compensated in any way by, EMSISOFT.

I use their product, but it is only one of several that I use (that are "always" on guard) against a variety of potential attacks on my devices.

You can check-out their product, along with others, as tested by an independent lab: AV-Comparatives

Posts: 22647 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the ransomware protection, but Creator's update removed the Windows 7 games (winaero) from my Windows 10 PC. I had to reinstall them. This is the 2nd time a windows 10 update has removed them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DianeZ

Posts: 1087 | Location: Maryland | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DianeZ:
I don't know about the ransomware protection, but Creator's update removed the Windows 7 games (winaero) from my Windows 10 PC. I had to reinstall them. This is the 2nd time a windows 10 update has removed them.
Removed? Or just disabled or removed the program's START icon/link? Did you try installing them with Administrator rights? If that didn't work, have you queried Microsoft Support about it?

Posts: 22647 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted Hide Post
Hard to say, since I reinstalled them yesterday - the file location has yesterday's date. I had the games on my Surface & they were removed with the last creator's update - not sure when I installed that one. I couldn't find any trace of the games.

DianeZ

Posts: 1087 | Location: Maryland | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DianeZ:
Hard to say, since I reinstalled them yesterday - the file location has yesterday's date. I had the games on my Surface & they were removed with the last creator's update - not sure when I installed that one. I couldn't find any trace of the games.
I should have been more clear... does it remove all of the files & folders, or just the executable ICON/LINK? Next time it happens (hopefully it won't), before you reinstall, look for the affected programs' FOLDER and FILES.

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

sidenote:

I don't like the Windows 10 user interface, so I installed CLASSIC SHELL. Using that utility, I have a more familiar (after decades of using a Windows OS) and more functional desktop--similar to that of Win7, WinXP and previous version of the Windows OS.

I also use this Desktop Save and Restore utility. I arrange Desktop ICONs to my liking, but sometimes (going to SAFE MODE, for example) those get rearranged. The utility adds SAVE DESKTOP and RESTORE DESKTOP options to the right-click menu. Once I get ICONs where I want them, I right-click on an empty area of the desktop and click the SAVE DESKTOP option. Then if someone else (or some program/function) rearranges them... I simply right-click and then click the RESTORE DESKTOP option. Voilà, everything is back the way I want it to be.

FWIW

Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted Hide Post
I might like that interface. I have gotten used to the Windows 10 look, though. The Creator's Update must not have wiped all of the game files - my cumulative wins & losses are still in place. If it happens again, I will check Program Files before reinstalling

DianeZ

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

If you want to give CLASSIC SHELL a test drive...
it SHOULD be uninstalled, following this procedure.

I won't ever go back to the Win10 UI. Smile-Big   :D