Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  Wild-Eyed & Crazy    A new topic just for me? Or a new forum?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

A new topic just for me? Or a new forum?
 Login/Register 
Steadfast...
posted
CJ,

I'm a bit confused as to what's going on here. Is "Wild-Eyed & Crazy" a whole new board, or a simply a new topic on the Amazon Ex-Pats board? I was under the impression that Amazon Ex-Pats was a new forum on Aantares, so that Amazon newbies both present and future could find each other.

But the way you've set it up so far, it appears to be a whole new forum. I opened this topic (I thought) prepared to post a reply, and discovered that I had no choice but to post a topic if I wanted to say anything. It appears that you've set up a whole new Amazon Ex-Pats sub-forum on Aantares. I'm not sure if that's necessary, but mostly I want to clarify what's going on here.

That said, though: "rabid, ranting, raging, rude, red-hot, radical, revolutionary, raucous, rowdy, and/or rash" certainly describes a lot of the stuff I've been posting on Facebook lately.

I used to post that kind of thing on the News forum, which I've been pretty much ignoring in recent months. I lurk there sometimes, but that's about it. I've grown so far to the left of most Aantares liberals that I'll get nothing but verbal abuse if I try to cut loose the way I used to.

And yet it seems like I'm perpetually in "if you're not outraged, you're not paying attention" mode these days, especially when it comes to politics. That needs an outlet somewhere.

It seems there's already a very neglected, underused Aantares forum for that kind of thing though. It's called Open Mike: Essays, POVs & Rants

--Linda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18667 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Yep, the new forum is just for you. Wink   ;)

Posts: 9040 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
Picture of *CJ
posted Hide Post

"Wild-Eyed & Crazy" is a Forum in the Amazon Ex-Pat's Category on the Aantares Bulletin Board. Smile   :)

Okay, let's do this once again, so we're all talking the same language. Wink   ;)
  • We have a Bulletin Board... Aantares

• The Bulletin Board has Categories... Your Aantares.com... Amazon Ex-Pats... Your News, Money, Sports... Your Etc. Forums, etc.

• Each Category has Forums... Announcements & News... Introduce Yourself!... Compliments, Complaints, Concerns

• Each Forum has Topics...Here we are again Merry Christmas... The perfect way to start your day!... Wishing all my Liberal friends a very Merry Christmas

When I set up the Amazon Ex-Pats Category, I wanted a Forum where items of interest to y'all could be posted that were independent of any discussion... the comings and goings of your crowd, who's ill, or who had a birthday or who's recovered from a move, or who just retired or had a fall or a new grandchild or such. That would be News & Announcements.

I also wanted a Forum where everyone could post to kick off new discussions, or continue discussions already in progress. That would be General Discussions.

And lastly, I gave y'all a Forum akin to other spaces "Pub" or "Coffee Shop," for postings of a generic nature, not tied to what ya'll normally discuss... the posting of jokes or travels or rants, a place you can pick on one another, or detail a hobby, passion, position or swap gardening (or any other past time) tips. LOL-2!   :lol2: This is all y'alls Wild-Eyed & Crazy forum.

BTW, when a topic gets kinda on the long-side (like 'Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex' at 70 pages Eek   :eek:), you might wanna consider opening a second like-named topic (think along the lines of 'Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex-02') and then alert Karl or myself and we'll lock the lengthy topic... you can still view all the replies, it'll just be closed to new replies. By doing this, we conserve board resources and you'll likely notice the board will operate a tich faster.

*CJ

Posts: 16488 | Location: Austin, TX USA | Mbr Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Constant...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by *CJ:
BTW, when a topic gets kinda on the long-side (like 'Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex' at 70 pages Eek   :eek:), you might wanna consider opening a second like-named topic (think along the lines of 'Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex-02') and then alert Karl or myself and we'll lock the lengthy topic... you can still view all the replies, it'll just be closed to new replies. By doing this, we conserve board resources and you'll likely notice the board will operate a tich faster.

*CJ

We actually did have to open new versions of the "Pub" on Amazon since they had a limit for the number of posts in a topic.

Posts: 906 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Mbr Since: 04-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
*CJ and everyone:

Thanks for the clarifications. I think I understand how it all works now. I'm sorry it took me about a year and a half to get back to you, but as I said elsewhere I've been very preoccupied, mostly with certain subjects and people on Facebook.

Unfortunately the Facebook bots have a bad habit of putting some of my favorite Amazon Ex-Pat friends and others in FB jail for dumb reasons, which destroys the continuity of our discussions. Those discussions both public and private (on FB Messenger) can get very intense, and when one of the participants disappears without warning it derails the whole thing.

I'm actually speaking about one person here, namely Bryan Borich. Bryan and I have been close friends since our Amazon days, and now we interact regularly on Facebook. I was also involved in a couple of private topics with him, one of them with Bryan and me and John Gonsowski (bluelamp on Aantares). Bluelamp and I use Messenger on both our phones and laptops (sync'd) like most people, but Bryan only uses it on his laptop. So when he got put in FB jail about a week ago, our private Messenger topic also disappeared. Of course he can and does keep me informed of anything important by email, but the continuity of our private discussion was lost.

For me this was pretty much the last straw. Although Facebook is indispensable to me for some things, such as keeping up with my family and friends at a distance, I'm becoming very disenchanted with it for other reasons. One of the main ones is that it just isn't a good medium for in-depth discussions. It seems to be, but it really isn't. They get started and seem very promising for a while, and some very interesting points are raised. But then they fizzle out as people inevitably become distracted.

And distraction is what Facebook is all about. The bots "know" that nothing distracts you from something you're interested in like something else you're interested in. That's how they try to sell you the last item you looked on Amazon or anywhere else--along with about 20 related items. Sure, you can do your best to ignore the targeted ads, but they have a cumulative effect and get pretty exhausting after a while. I'd rather just not see them when I'm trying to concentrate on writing.

--Linda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18667 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post