Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Religion & Spirituality    How long will I be allowed to remain a Christian?
      Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

How long will I be allowed to remain a Christian?
 Login/Register

Aavid
Picture of Born Again Liberal
posted
quote:
“How long will I be allowed to remain a Christian?”

That was the deeply dismaying question posed to me by a friend with four young children as we discussed the plight of the Christian faith in America and around the world.

With each passing month, that shocking question becomes more relevant and even more disturbing.

To say that Christians and Christianity are under a withering and brutal attack in certain areas of the world would be an understatement.

In various parts of the Middle East, there is a genocidal cleansing of Christians being carried out. Women, men, and their young children are being slaughtered because of their faith and world leaders and most of the media turn their backs in bored indifference.

Here in the United States, Christians and Christianity are mocked, belittled, smeared and attacked by some on a daily basis. This is a bigoted practice that is not only increasing exponentially, but is being encouraged and sanctioned by a number on the left.

Too many of those who worship at the altar of political correctness have deemed that Christianity should no longer be respected. Rather, they assail it on a regular basis in a coordinated campaign to weaken the faith and its base.

The prevailing view in much of the media is that Christianity is aligned with Republicans, conservatives, or the views of President Trump – and therefore must be diminished and made suspect.

The New Yorker just described the opening of a few Chick-fil-A restaurants in New York City as “Pervasive Christian traditionalism,” and a “Creepy infiltration of New York City.”

Christianity is an “infiltration” to some on the left.

In college, they now teach about the evils of “Christian Privilege.” On Broadway and in theaters around the world, mocking Christians has become a massively profitable money-making venture.

In name, on the crucifix, and in art, Jesus Christ is desecrated in the most twisted and obscene of ways. In movies, on television and online, Christians are portrayed in the most dishonest, prejudiced and insulting of ways.

Across the country, Christian colleges are under constant assault from “social justice warriors” seeking to strip their accreditation and put them out of business.

Christian groups on campus are at times being persecuted, their offices and handouts vandalized, with members even being physically assaulted.

In a nation that is still majority Christian, those who follow the faith have been litigated or brow-beaten into being fearful to utter the words “Merry Christmas,” or to display a Nativity scene celebrating the one and only reason there is a Christmas Day.

Want to stay true to your Christian faith in the most innocuous and giving of ways?

To do so is becoming more perilous by the minute, when you stop to ponder just a sampling of the negative consequences. For example:

A high school football coach is fired for taking a knee in prayer. A teacher is fired for giving a Bible to a student who requested it. A Marine is cursed at and then court-martialed for not removing a Bible verse from her computer. Another Bible verse posted by sailors in a military hospital is labeled “extremism.”

For me personally, I continue to be ridiculed for writing and speaking about a vision I had regarding the 40 days after the resurrection.

If you are a practicing Christian in the United States and open about it, you, your congregation and your organization will become a target of some sort. It is only a matter of time.

Ironically, in some very real and ominous ways, it’s as if we are being transported back to ancient Rome.

Will we soon have to meet with fellow Christians in secret? Will we have to whisper our beliefs from the shadows? Will those Christians with “traditional” beliefs lose their jobs and livelihoods if discovered?

As more and more of the mainstream media, entertainment, academia and the hi-tech world continue to purge or discriminate against Christians, what future job fields will be open to young Christians?

Will those Christian children eventually be forced to renounce or deny their faith in order to get a job and provide for their families?

As a Christian, I truly do have the deepest respect for every faith. The vast majority of people of every faith are beyond good and do seek to follow the golden rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

Why do so many on the left, in the media, entertainment and academia not practice that most simple, loving and humane of rules when it comes to the Christian faith?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion...emain-christian.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“ Fox News has done yo our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

New York Post: ‘Donald Trump Jr. is an Idiot’

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

"trump appeals to the lowest common denominator" Stephen Hawking

• "Science doesn't care what you believe"
    " I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet"
  •  
    Posts: 28990 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    Picture of True Conservative
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    In various parts of the Middle East, there is a genocidal cleansing of Christians being carried out. Women, men, and their young children are being slaughtered because of their faith and world leaders and most of the media turn their backs in bored indifference.

No doubt it's genocide. (Carried out by members of your favorite religion)

Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 111897 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    Picture of That JR Thang
    posted Hide Post
    ROTF   :rotf:

But the frighties will eat it up because it came from FOX NEWS!

Fact is, it's trump and his trumpeters who are giving Christianity a bad name...

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 3632 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    I don't consider genocide to be a laughing matter.

Posts: 111897 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    Since its inception Christianity has been under attack for various reasons. This is not new.

From my vantage the current crisis is because Christians themselves have forgot their mission. It's a beautiful faith based on love and tolerance. I don't see much of that in this letter…or in our national dialog…surely I'm as guilty as anyone.

I've had the privilege of knowing a few people who have tried very hard to live their faith as purely as they could. I guess they are the reason I stuck with it…because they were wonderful.

I think a good answer for Christians is in Bishop Michael Curry's message yesterday at the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

It was powerful. I'll try to find it.

“Why bite when a growl will suffice?”....Oskar the dog

Posts: 54831 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    It's a beautiful faith

It was until Liberals decided it needed to be changed. That's when I left the Presbyterian church that I'd been a member of for years.

AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    The Power of Love

Rt. Reverend Michael Curry's full sermon yesterday at Windsor Castle.

Curry is the Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church in the United States.

NYT:
    quote:
    “Imagine governments and nations where love is the way,” Most Rev. Curry said. “Imagine this tired old world when love is the way — when love is the way, unselfish, sacrificial, redemptive! … When love is the way, poverty will become history.” He cited Martin Luther King, Jr. explicitly several times, and alluded to the same passages in Amos — “let justice roll down like a mighty stream and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream” — that King famously cited.

Bishop Curry, 65, said Christianity was “a movement grounded in the unconditional love of God for the world and a movement mandating people to live that love and in so doing to change not only their lives but the very life of the world itself,” he said.

He spoke about the power of love and faith, even to comfort those in captivity, referring explicitly to the psalms sung by slaves in the American south.

The bishop was born in Chicago in 1953. Married with two daughters, he acquired a measure of fame outside the religious community after a sermon he delivered in 2012, “We need some crazy Christians,” was widely viewed online. He is the first African-American leader of the Episcopal Church.

Asked by CBS how he had prepared to deliver the sermon, Most Rev. Curry said he was “just going to show up.”

The Guardian

Posts: 54831 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Aavid
    Picture of Born Again Liberal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by True Conservative:
    quote:
    It's a beautiful faith

It was until Liberals decided it needed to be changed. That's when I left the Presbyterian church that I'd been a member of for years.

Guess what? Religions change all the time. One can make the argument that if you are not catholic, then you’re a heretic.

“ Fox News has done yo our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

New York Post: ‘Donald Trump Jr. is an Idiot’

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

"trump appeals to the lowest common denominator" Stephen Hawking

• "Science doesn't care what you believe"
    " I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet"
  •  
    Posts: 28990 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The bishop was born in Chicago in 1953

I wonder if he has the same view of the United States as Obama's former pastor.

Enthusiast...
    Picture of That JR Thang
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    It's a beautiful faith

You forgot the most important "based on love and tolerance" part. You know, that part you frightie righties reserve only for yourselves.

Posts: 3632 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    Picture of That JR Thang
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    The bishop was born in Chicago in 1953

I wonder if he has the same view of the United States as Obama's former pastor.

Quit wondering and LOOK IT UP!

Enthusiast...
    Picture of That JR Thang
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
    The Power of Love

Curry is the Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church in the United States.

NYT:
    quote:
    “Imagine governments and nations where love is the way,” Most Rev. Curry said. “Imagine this tired old world when love is the way — when love is the way, unselfish, sacrificial, redemptive! … When love is the way, poverty will become history.” He cited Martin Luther King, Jr. explicitly several times, and alluded to the same passages in Amos — “let justice roll down like a mighty stream and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream” — that King famously cited.

Bishop Curry, 65, said Christianity was “a movement grounded in the unconditional love of God for the world and a movement mandating people to live that love and in so doing to change not only their lives but the very life of the world itself,” he said.

He spoke about the power of love and faith, even to comfort those in captivity, referring explicitly to the psalms sung by slaves in the American south.

The bishop was born in Chicago in 1953. Married with two daughters, he acquired a measure of fame outside the religious community after a sermon he delivered in 2012, “We need some crazy Christians,” was widely viewed online. He is the first African-American leader of the Episcopal Church.

Asked by CBS how he had prepared to deliver the sermon, Most Rev. Curry said he was “just going to show up.”

The Guardian

Gotta love him!

We could use a whole lot more like him...

AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    Oh yes JR.

I was prouder to be a Christian than I have been in a very long time.

From The Guardian (Link Above)

quote:
    An ardent campaigner for social justice, particularly on immigration and same-sex marriage, Chicago-born Curry, himself a descendent of slaves, did not tone down his passionate message of the social and political power of love in order to align with the reserve of his pale and stately onlookers. He did not filter. He did it black, with music in his arms, and rhythm in his voice, and a looseness and openness in his face that supposed an almost familial acquaintance with his audience.

In his world, words do not travel alone from the mouth, with just their letters and their grammar for company. Here the body comes too, giving life to the words, lifting them into the air to float and dance into comprehension and human feeling. For Zara Tindall, captured open-mouthed in her pricey, shiny teal in the pews, it was something to behold.

The expressions on the faces of the congregation around the church were also something to behold, ranging from empathy to bemusement to confusion to downright scorn. Four minutes in, Camilla Parker Bowles’s ludicrous hat was trembling as she held down her head: was she laughing? Prince Charles was also bowed, red around the ears, more so than usual: was he?

There was half a smirk at the Duchess of Cambridge’s mouth, and, when Curry exclaimed: “Oh that’s the balm in Gilead!”, throwing up his hands in emphasis, the Queen straightened in her chair, purse-lipped. Meanwhile, Oprah swayed. Ragland looked steadily on, a little sadly, as if aware of something of which others were not, yet also with an innate sweetness; while her daughter sat holding hands with her prince, occasionally conferring in love-soaked whispers.
    Meghan Markle's wedding was a rousing celebration of blackness

It was a sermon that will go down in history as a moment when the enduring seat of colonialism was brought before the Lord, and questioned in its own house. In the mention of slavery was the inherent accusation of white silver-spoon complicity, and that this union should not go forth without acknowledging it.

“Love is the way,” Curry chanted, in a rolling, conversational repetition borne of the deep south. “When love is the way, we actually treat each other, well” – he put his hand on his hip and his elbow on the lectern – “like we are actually a family”. A utopia for our time indeed, delivered with a grand humility apparently wasted on some of its listeners, who were not quite expecting such blackness from a black bride.

AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    When love is the way, poverty will become history.

$Trillions spent by the U.S. government hasn't solved the poverty problem.

AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    When love is the way, poverty will become history.

$Trillions spent by the U.S. government hasn't solved the poverty problem.

Listen to you.

And we wonder why a beautiful religion is dying.

You're politicizing it. Tsk...tsk...tsk.

Just read the simple words. Then get down on your knees and thank Jesus that you have Medicare, Social Security and a good retirement....a roof over your head and a food on your table. It's more than 95% of the world's population have.

Dixie

AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

quote:
    An ardent campaigner for social justice,

Enthusiast...
    Picture of That JR Thang
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The Power of Love

My favorite part:
    "When love is the way, we will let justice roll down like a mighty stream and righteousness like an ever-flowing brook. When love is the way, poverty will become history. When love is the way, the earth will be a sanctuary. When love is the way, we will lay down our swords and shields down, down by the riverside to study war no more. When love is the way, there’s plenty good room, plenty good room, for all of God’s children. Because when love is the way, we actually treat each other, well, like we are actually family. When love is the way, we know that God is the source of us all and we are brothers and sisters, children of God. My brothers and sisters, that’s a new heaven, a new earth, a new world, a new human family. And let me tell you something, old Solomon was right in the Old Testament, that’s fire."

Jesus: "I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!" Luke 12:49

Enthusiast...
    Picture of Reed N D Dark
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    It's a beautiful faith

as far as I'm aware, in an area dominated by Presbyterian and Lutheran churches, none of the synods of either denomination has made substantial changes recently. And most of them, if they existed at all, were changed during the Enlightment.

Some have begun to understand the impact of the Dead Sea Scrolls on previous assumptions, too. But to claim that all of the changes that have happen due to Liberal (political) beliefs does a discredit to many of the scholars that continue to try to understand and research what the words written in the Bible mean is ludicrous.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

quote:

You have a problem with social justice?

You don't think social justice is Christian????

Roll Eyes   :rolleyes:

Dixie

Enthusiast...
    Picture of That JR Thang
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

quote:

You dim witted oaf. What do you think Jesus meant by "Do unto others as you would have done unto you"?

That IS Social Justice!!!

Sheesh!

AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    Has anyone here EVER met a liberal Presbyterian?

Dixie

AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

quote:

You have a problem with social justice?

You don't think social justice is Christian????

Roll Eyes   :rolleyes:

Dixie

I don't want others deciding who and what I aid.

AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by That JR Thang:
    quote:
    The Power of Love

My favorite part:
    "When love is the way, we will let justice roll down like a mighty stream and righteousness like an ever-flowing brook. When love is the way, poverty will become history. When love is the way, the earth will be a sanctuary. When love is the way, we will lay down our swords and shields down, down by the riverside to study war no more. When love is the way, there’s plenty good room, plenty good room, for all of God’s children. Because when love is the way, we actually treat each other, well, like we are actually family. When love is the way, we know that God is the source of us all and we are brothers and sisters, children of God. My brothers and sisters, that’s a new heaven, a new earth, a new world, a new human family. And let me tell you something, old Solomon was right in the Old Testament, that’s fire."

Jesus: "I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!" Luke 12:49

Amen.

Dixie

Enthusiast...
    Picture of That JR Thang
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Oh yes JR.

I was prouder to be a Christian than I have been in a very long time.

Yep, I'm definitely with you here!

AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Has anyone here EVER met a liberal Presbyterian?

Dixie

The new pastor that took the place of our old pastor was but he didn't last long.