Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Religion & Spirituality    Aantares Malware?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Aantares Malware?
 Login/Register

Admin
posted

Since this forum has become quite active once again, I thought I should post the following herein:

I am aware that this was discussed several months ago... but it is now a PERMANENT WARNING from any product/service which is rooted in GOOGLE's stuff.

I posted about this over in the Computing & Internet forum. I also posted a related topic, Aantares Malware?, where this was discussed in the Computing and Internet forum as well.

There is also a NEW TOPIC over in the NEWS forum, within which I have posted this more detailed reply.

FWIW - Karl

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:

Since this forum has become quite active once again, I thought I should post the following herein:

I am aware that this was discussed several months ago... but it is now a PERMANENT WARNING from any product/service which is rooted in GOOGLE's stuff.

I posted about this over in the Computing & Internet forum. I also posted a related topic, Aantares Malware?, where this was discussed in the Computing and Internet forum as well.

There is also a NEW TOPIC over in the NEWS forum, within which I have posted this more detailed reply.

FWIW - Karl

Thanks A-F. Strange thing though, I got that warning several months ago when I was here, but am not getting it at this time...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 3774 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

JR,

What typically caused that "warning" was a function of GOOGLE initiating it whenever users tried to visit a site that wasn't secured (HTTPS protocol). They did that for a while, then stopped, then issued a notice to all web-masters that they would be implementing it PERMANENTLY in October (which apparently was delayed until November).

If using CHROME, FIREFOX, or any browser that employes "Google Safe Browsing" then that "warning" will be encountered... UNLESS one goes into their BROWSER SETTINGS and disables the "Protect you and your device from dangerous sites" option.

However; "Google Safe Browsing" isn't the only thing which could cause such a warning. Browser Add-Ons/Extensions and 3rd Party Security products (anti-malware stuff) could also generate such a warning for a number of reasons. Typically, such additional "warning initiators" will have a means to "exclude" all or any one particular DOMAIN from generating such a warning. I know of at least one anti-virus product that was following & implementing what Google Safe Browsing did. When Google stopped, so did that anti-virus product (and, as far as I know, they have not restarted, following Google's now restarting that practice).

The thing is... such "protections" actually can cause a false sense of security. Any web site that employs MOBILE CODE (Java, Javascript, ActiveX, etc.) can attack your device without ever considering whether or not such a site uses a SECURE Certificate (HTTPS protocol).

IOW: a secure certificate (HTTPS protocol) only encrypts traffic between your device and the site being visited, so that others can not easily "packet sniff" (eavesdrop on) traffic which is not encrypted. A secure certificate can not and will not protect you from malware attacks by miscreants "out there".

...just my 2¢   :2cents:

hth - Karl

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:

JR,

...The thing is... such "protections" actually can cause a false sense of security. Any web site that employs MOBILE CODE (Java, Javascript, ActiveX, etc.) can attack your device without ever considering whether or not such a site uses a SECURE Certificate (HTTPS protocol).

IOW: a secure certificate (HTTPS protocol) only encrypts traffic between your device and the site being visited, so that others can not easily "packet sniff" (eavesdrop on) traffic which is not encrypted. A secure certificate can not and will not protect you from malware attacks by miscreants "out there".

...just my 2¢   :2cents:

hth - Karl

Thanks bunches Karl, you are a scholar and a gentleman! I'll keep this in mind and continue avoiding Wi-Fi, filter for 'bad sites', and scan my computer at least 3 times per week.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
JR,

Some other similar scanners are: You can click any of those LINKS, and then check the AANTARES.COM domain/url for yourself (and/or do it with any URL which you think to be suspicious and/or even "safe"). But no ONE of those can provide 100% protection. What's more? They can actually produce FALSE POSITIVES as well as MISS something that is in fact harmful/malicious.

As just one example:
    One particular web site that many of us frequently use (especially with the holidays approaching) is AMAZON.COM

Here's what VirusTotal has to say about that domain (note that the SCANNER LIST doesn't indicate any problem, yet the site has been flagged by some as harmful--via the red/green meter atop that page).
As you look down that list of 65 SCANNERS, you'll likely notice some familiar anti-malware products (Avira, BitDefender, Emsisoft, Eset, Kaspersky, Google Safebrowsing, etc.) and also likely, many that you've never heard about.

Recently some Aantares Members have begun reporting a "warning" again--because of "Google Safe Browsing" (they encounter a "WARNING" when trying to log in to post here). However; if you goto the "Google Safe Browsing" online tool: Now, how can members be getting a WARNING when trying to LOG IN here... yet the "Google Safe Browsing" online tool, says there is no problem here?

Does that seem to be "confusing"? To some it might be. But the "warning" here is because there is no HTTPS secure connection--OTOH there has been no MALWARE detected as being hosted on the Aantares domain.

Bottom line? Yes, practice safe surfing habits. Yes, use good & updated anti-malware products. But above all of that:

Keep a current BACKUP of your critical data files and expensive software. Because NO ANTI-MALWARE product or combination of such products/services can protect you from an unrecoverable HARDWARE FAILURE or fire or flood or earthquake or theft, or any complete LOSS of your device/s.

hth - Karl

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Karl.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go hurt myself trying some of these sites out...

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Thanks again, Karl.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go hurt myself trying some of these sites out...
LOL!   :lol: JR

Don't hurt yourself too badly. Smile-Big   :D

I think the "VirusTotal" scanners to be the most comprehensive (yet, might not "catch" everything). There is always a LAG between something NEW and of nefarious intent presenting itself "in the wild" (i.e., being "out there") and the various anti-malware endeavors "catching & stopping" it. So doing BACKUPS is what, to me, is of tantamount importance.

DJT's THEME SONG:

~ I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth. ~

~ I know, you know, they're busy gathering proof. ~

~ Embrace my deceptions - learn how to bend, ~

~ Or these investigations will surely mean my end. ~

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")