Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Religion & Spirituality    The Lord's Prayer
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

The Lord's Prayer
 Login/Register

Steadfast...
posted
My apologies to everyone who clicked on this link out of curiosity, expecting to read something of substance about the Lord's Prayer. There will be, but it isn't here yet because I'm too tired tonight to post it. So this is basically just a place holder note.

There is a discussion of the Lord's Prayer taking place in the old pub that a bunch of us Amazon peeps are heavily involved in. In a way I ended up the ringleader although I didn't actually start the discussion. But I was the one who broached the subject of taking a look at the Lord's Prayer in the original Aramaic, rather than wasting any more time arguing pointlessly over translations.

So I posted a link to a recording I used to have, and then someone else posted a link to a page of alternate translations which everyone seemed to like very much. Everyone but me anyway. I was frustrated because I felt that these more modern translations were somehow missing the point. Even though I liked their universalist, non-sexist approach, I felt they were leaving out something essential. When I finally figured out what that something was (and this took some doing), it was one of those light-bulb-over-the-head moments.

Even though there are no hardcore trolls present (at the moment anyway), the discussion is threatening to degenerate into one more shouting match between believers and so-called "unbelievers," which doesn't actually mean atheists but freethinkers.

I've seen that happen too many times in the past, and I'm not going to let it happen again if I can help it. The subject is too important and has too much potential. So I'm going to try to move the discussion over to this forum where for the moment, freethinkers have the edge over believers, especially believers with the unfortunate tendency to consign their online sparring partners to the flames of hell.

--Linda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18659 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I’m curious whether your point that the lord’s prayer is but a template rather than a I
Universal prayer and how those are really different.

Posts: 4393 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post