Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Travel    Kilauea Volcano threatens the "Big Island"
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Kilauea Volcano threatens the "Big Island"
 Login/Register

Admin
posted
quote:
Hawaiians on volcano eruption watch as hundreds of earthquakes hit island in less than 72 hours

Hundreds of small earthquakes in Hawaii are shaking the eastern side of Big Island, prompting concerns that Kilauea Volcano could erupt.

Residents in the area should prepare and review emergency plans in case of evacuation, warned the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency on Wednesday.

Officials are keeping watch on Kilauea Volcano, which is one of the world's most active volcanos.

It's located in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, which has since closed off nearly 15,700 acres due to "the possibility of a new eruption and unstable geologic activity." But most of the park remains open, according to its statement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DJT's THEME SONG:

~ I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth. ~

~ I know, you know, they're busy gathering proof. ~

~ Embrace my deceptions - learn how to bend, ~

~ Or these investigations will surely mean my end. ~

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lava reaches surface of Leilani Estates, evacuations underway in light of Kilauea eruption

Residents from Luana Street to the end of Leilani Estates are being asked to evacuate, Hawaii County Civil Defense confirms.

Heavy smoke is visible throughout the neighborhood.

Civil Defense is on high alert on a 24-hour basis due to what is now a volcanic eruption in the lower Puna area.

Officials say all areas bordering the East Rift Zone, from Puu Oo crater down to Kapoho, are at high risk for eruption activities. Hawaiian Volcano Observatory has identified magma movement in the lower East Rift Zone.

Residents are advised to stay informed and alert, and be prepared for immediate evacuation if necessary.

A preliminary magnitude-5.0 earthquake jolted parts of Hawaii island Thursday morning.

It was recorded at 10:30 a.m. HST, roughly 4.3 miles southeast of Volcano, and initially reported as a magnitude-4.4 quake.

DJT's THEME SONG:

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
usgs.gov: Kilauea Volcano Erupts

This is a developing story, so please keep checking the USGS home page, the USGS Facebook page, and the USGS Twitter feed as updates become available.

The Kilauea Volcano erupted in the Lower Puna district of Hawai'i, known as the "Big Island" of the Hawaiian Island chain, which is home to roughly 200,000 people and a haven for tourists and adventure seekers.

A notice from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) provides the following details:

The eruption in the Leilani Estates subdivision in the lower East Rift Zone of Kīlauea Volcano that began in late afternoon of May 3rd ended by about 6:30 p.m. HST. Lava spatter and gas bursts erupted from the fissure for about two hours, and lava spread a short distance from the fissure, less than about 10 m (33 ft).

The HVO deployed geologists to the eruption site overnight, and other scientists are monitoring various data streams to the observatory 24/7.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
cbsnews.com: "Curtain of fire": Hawaii volcano spews lava, forces residents to flee
    Mayor Harry Kim - @MayorHarryKim

Due to the instability of the situation, no one is allowed into Leilani Estates or Lanipuna Estates, which are under mandatory evacuation orders. R If you refuse to evacuate, first responders may not be able to come to your aid because it is not safe.
more...

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
cnn.com: LIVE UPDATES: Hawaii volcano eruption

This volcano is a major tourist attraction [[[say what?!]]]

A fifth volcanic vent has opened in Leilani Estates

Thousands without power after 6.9 quake

"Extremely high levels" of sulfur dioxide have been detected

This map shows where fissures are spewing lava and gas

DJT's THEME SONG:

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
Have any of you been watching the videos?

Streets are erupting miles away!

Dixie

Mama says that ****** is as ****** does...... Forrest

Posts: 56379 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aavid
Picture of Born Again Liberal
posted Hide Post
I was there in 84-85 when Kilauea really active. In fact, we took a flight from Honolulu to the big island. It was a one day excursion and well worth it.

“ Fox News has done yo our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

New York Post: ‘Donald Trump Jr. is an Idiot’

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

"trump appeals to the lowest common denominator" Stephen Hawking

• "Science doesn't care what you believe"
    " I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet"
  •  
    Posts: 29744 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Born Again Liberal:
    I was there in 84-85 when Kilauea really active. In fact, we took a flight from Honolulu to the big island. It was a one day excursion and well worth it.

More so than now?

DC

Posts: 56379 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Aardent
    Picture of Gus Rodgers
    posted Hide Post
    I was there in 1986. The eruptions were over, but the area on the east side south of Hilo is pretty incredible. We walked through a lava tube and went to the black sand beach.

On the west side, which is where most of the tourist stuff is, you can get Kona and Ka’u coffee.

THIS IS YOUR DAY

REPENT!

IMPEACHMENT IS COMING SOON

Posts: 30382 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Aavid
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gus Rodgers:
    I was there in 1986. The eruptions were over, but the area on the east side south of Hilo is pretty incredible. We walked through a lava tube and went to the black sand beach.

On the west side, which is where most of the tourist stuff is, you can get Kona and Ka’u coffee.

I did that too. I also stood on lava that had been cooled for a few days and formed a shell. The tour guide yelled at me for standing there cause that shell could break. I felt stupid, but I didn’t know better. Kinda like a trump supporter. However, a trump supporter would have stayed on top that lava, cause they know better.

“ Fox News has done yo our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

•  
    Posts: 29744 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dixie Chick:

Dixie
    I think I read some where up to 20 miles away. OMG!   :OMG:

I don't have MSNBC, CNN, etc. on my over-the-airwaves TV... but I am following this via the Internet. It will be a long drawn-out affair... not good for the residents & neighborhoods being affected. Experts don't expect an explosive event (like Mount St Helens) but they are still wary of what might happen.

quote:
    ...also see:
    quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Devoted...
    Picture of Reed N D Dark
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:
    quote:

Dixie
    I think I read some where up to 20 miles away. OMG!   :OMG:

I don't have MSNBC, CNN, etc. on my over-the-airwaves TV... but I am following this via the Internet. It will be a long drawn-out affair... not good for the residents & neighborhoods being affected. Experts don't expect an explosive event (like Mount St Helens) but they are still wary of what might happen.

quote:
    ...also see:
    quote:

Allthat new “land” belongs to the state. To me that’s pretty a significant worry too!

Posts: 5161 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:

Allthat new “land” belongs to the state. To me that’s pretty a significant worry too!
    Oh, I'm sure they'll figure out something (of profit) to do with it. They might even extend the INTERSTATE (?!) Highway too. Wink   ;)

I've always heard how expensive it is to live in Hawaii. Of course; that all depends on which island and in which areas thereon.
    quote:
    There are currently three active volcanoes in Hawaii. On Hawaii Island you'll find Maunaloa and Kilauea in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Maunaloa last erupted in 1984 and Kilauea has been continuously erupting since 1983. Loihi is located underwater off the southern coast of Hawaii's Big Island. Erupting since 1996, this emerging seamount may break the surface in about 250,000 years, adding a ninth island to the Hawaiian chain. Other notable volcano craters that you can hike and explore include Haleakala on Maui as well as Leahi (Diamond Head) and the National Memorial of the Pacific at Punchbowl on Oahu.
    As we know, the Hawaiian Islands are a result of volcanic activity, as they drift to the West, new land rises to the East.

And, all this NEW LAND will come at a price. For example:
    quote:
    Prices are not all that ridiculous (no more so than lots in VaBeach, VA for example). Of course; that's all before the upcoming "new land rush" (?).

Also see:
    quote:
    04 May 2018
    theatlantic.com: Why Hawaii's Newest Eruption Makes Volcanologists Nervous

“There’s not a lot of words to capture a gradual, slow-developing disaster like this.”

Kilauea has also “been pretty much in eruption for the last 35 years,” he adds. There are long-simmering lava lakes within its crater, and every so often new flows appear within Volcanoes National Park. But the new fissure has appeared much farther down the face of the volcano, in an area where there hasn’t been an eruption since the 1950s. In that time, trees and wildlife in the area have largely recovered. And developers have constructed at least two subdivisions nearby, called Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens. Authorities ordered residents to evacuate both of them on Thursday.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Aavid
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Born Again Liberal:

More so than now?

DC

The photos I’ve seen lately aren’t anywhere near as bad as in 84-85. I saw lava covering an entire countryside.

•  
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Who is at risk from the gases?

Kilauea produces sulfuric dioxide. If there's a lot of sulfur blown consistently in the same direction, it can kill plants and cause respiratory failure in people — as well as etch eyeglasses or car windows, Gregg said. As is typical in Hawaii, winds have blown primarily from the east during the eruption, spreading the foul air as far as 60 miles across the southern part of the island.

[[[ Embedded Animated GIF ]]]

DJT's THEME SONG:

AAA+
    Picture of Dixie Chick
    posted Hide Post
    sorry. Trying to post an amazing video but it won't fly.

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    sorry. Trying to post an amazing video but it won't fly.
    I don't know the what/why of that, Dixie.

This wunderground.com page has some pretty good imagery. Of course; there might be much better, elsewhere...

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post

Google Search Results for YouTube  :youtube: video of Kilauea events over

DJT's THEME SONG:

AAA+
    Picture of True Conservative
    posted Hide Post
    Fox 13, Tampa ran a time lapse video of the lava engulfing a parked car.

Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 114816 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post

(that's on YouTube  :youtube: along with hundreds of other videos)

Here's one I didn't see on YouTube  :youtube: (yet) but ran across it while surfing the nbcnews.com site:

VIDEO: Kilauea's 6.9 Earthquake from inside resident's home (won't these people ever leave?)

DJT's THEME SONG: