Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Travel    Kilauea Volcano threatens the "Big Island"
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Kilauea Volcano threatens the "Big Island"
 Login/Register

Aavid
Picture of Born Again Liberal
posted Hide Post
The lava is flowing into the ocean and causing sea levels to raise. LOL!   :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“ Fox News has done yo our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

New York Post: ‘Donald Trump Jr. is an Idiot’

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

"trump appeals to the lowest common denominator" Stephen Hawking

• "Science doesn't care what you believe"
    " I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet"
  •  
    Posts: 29139 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    Picture of True Conservative
    posted Hide Post
    A report on Fox 13, Tampa says tourism is hurting all over the big island even though the volcanic activity is only affecting a small portion of the island.

Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 112418 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

~ I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth. ~

~ I know, you know, they're busy gathering proof. ~

~ Embrace my deceptions - learn how to bend, ~

~ Or these investigations will surely mean my end. ~

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    blue flames trigger fears of explosions

Blue flames burning in the lava from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano are raising new fears of explosions. Emergency officials say if fissures open west of Pahoa, lava could block the one remaining open highway. If that happens, about 1,000 people would have to be helicoptered to safety, reports CBS News' Mark Strassmann.

Residents are also eyeing another disturbing development. After three weeks of gawking at images of bright red lava bursting skyward, the Big Island's focus has shifted to something blue and worrisome: blue flames that indicate the presence of methane gas. Methane gas is a result of the lava burning plants and trees. Scientists say it can trigger explosions if ignited while trapped underground.

"It's the first time, maybe the second time I've seen the blue flames thing. It's very dramatic, very eerie," geophysicist Jim Kauahikaua said.
    ...also see:
    quote:
    Lava wall protecting geothermal plant

Officials say lava spatter from Hawaii’s erupting volcano is creating a wall that’s helping protect a nearby geothermal plant.

U.S. Geological Survey scientist Wendy Stovall said Wednesday that lava erupting from a vent closest to Puna Geothermal Venture is shooting higher than lava coming out of other vents.

She says it’s also producing the highest lava wall, which is blocking molten rock from flowing north toward the plant.

Residents have been concerned about hazards if lava flowed over the plant’s facilities or if the molten rock heated chemicals at the plant.

Lava from the eruption on the Big Island is primarily flowing south toward the ocean.

Officials shut down Puna Geothermal shortly after Kilauea began erupting on May 3.

On Tuesday, officials finished plugging wells that bring up hot liquid and steam that feed a turbine generator.

DJT's THEME SONG:

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Lava flow in Hawaii reaches nearly 4 square miles

The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports the lava flow we've all been watching for a few weeks now in Leilani Estates is now covering more than 2,300 acres, or 3.7 square miles.

Halemaumau Crater is producing small bursts of volcanic ash.

The ash is slowly being pushed downwind.

Additionally, volcanic gases, vog, and ash emissions may increase in areas downwind of the vents.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Lava flow stalls, sparing Hawaii geothermal plant from more damage

A lava flow from Hawaii’s erupting Kilauea volcano that damaged a geothermal power station has stalled, as have lava fountains gushing 100 feet (30 meters) into the air, offering momentary relief to an area under siege for 25 days, officials said on Monday.

Lava engulfed the heads of two wells that tap into steam and gas deep in the Earth’s core at the 38-megawatt Puna Geothermal Venture on Saturday. Its operator, Israeli-controlled Ormat Technologies Inc, said it had not been able to assess the damage.

Residents fear the wells may be explosive. Officials have said the power plant is safe but lava has never engulfed a geothermal plant anywhere in the world, leaving a measure of uncertainty.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Enthusiast...
    Picture of Reed N D Dark
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:
    quote:
    Lava flow stalls, sparing Hawaii geothermal plant from more damage

A lava flow from Hawaii’s erupting Kilauea volcano that damaged a geothermal power station has stalled, as have lava fountains gushing 100 feet (30 meters) into the air, offering momentary relief to an area under siege for 25 days, officials said on Monday.

Lava engulfed the heads of two wells that tap into steam and gas deep in the Earth’s core at the 38-megawatt Puna Geothermal Venture on Saturday. Its operator, Israeli-controlled Ormat Technologies Inc, said it had not been able to assess the damage.

Residents fear the wells may be explosive. Officials have said the power plant is safe but lava has never engulfed a geothermal plant anywhere in the world, leaving a measure of uncertainty.

There is a concern about Hilo for today.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post

Reed,

I did read that the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory had just moved its operations center to the UH-Hilo. Things were getting too close/hot for comfort near the crater rim?
    quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Heed evacuation orders, or you're on your own, mayor says

So much for the slow-moving lava. Magma from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano traveled down Highway 132 overnight in Pahoa, forcing evacuations as emergency responders worry residents could be painted into a corner on the east side of the Big Island.

Residents in Kapoho -- including Kapoho Beach Lots and Vacationland -- have been advised to evacuate, according to a Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency message.

It warned that Beach Road, east of Highway 137, was at risk of "possible lava inundation," which could trap residents in the area. Just after 8 a.m., the agency warned "flows are advancing on Highway 137."

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Enthusiast...
    Picture of Reed N D Dark
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Based on history, we are posed for the poles to reverse again.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
    quote:
    Based on history, we are posed for the poles to reverse again.
    Well, that has happened before and it could happen again at any time.
    quote:
    Latest from Hawaii:
    quote:
    Lava flows cut off access to more Hawaii neighborhoods

A lava flow from the erupting Kilauea volcano has cut off access to Kapoho and Vacationland on Hawaii's Big Island, officials said Saturday.

The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency also said vigorous lava eruptions are continuing in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens.
    ...also see:
    quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Multimedia links for Hawaiian Volcanoes

Kīlauea
      Photo & Video Chronology — Photographs and videos from field investigations plus webcam imagery of notable events. All images include descriptive captions.

Webcams — Near-real-time images from webcams located on Kīlauea's East Rift Zone and Summit.

Videos — Collection of videos recorded during field excursions or from eruptive events caught on our webcams.

Maps — Regularly updated maps depicting changes of the Kīlauea lava-flow field.

Image Galleries — Galleries of images from several notable Kīlauea eruptions and events with expanded descriptions.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Never goes away...
    Picture of Perro Pedorro
    posted Hide Post
    El Fuego just popped in Guatemala, killing 25 at last count. This may be related to Kilauea activity. Lots of volcanoes in the Pacific Rim including the U.S. West Coast and hopefully more don't become active.

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 12140 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Perro Pedorro:
    El Fuego just popped in Guatemala, killing 25 at last count. This may be related to Kilauea activity. Lots of volcanoes in the Pacific Rim including the U.S. West Coast and hopefully more don't become active.
    I don't know if it is directly related, but the injuries & deaths & loss of property are never good news. Frown   :(

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Perro Pedorro:
    quote:
    Frown   :(

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post

So now, Mr-Needs-to-be-the-Center-of-Attention (just like his FASCIST-in-Chief hero) just had to start his own topic about Hawaii's KilaueaRoll Eyes   :rolleyes:

Whatever... maybe everyone ought to start their own topic about THIS and every other NEWSWORTHY item?

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Just go with the flow?

DJT's THEME SONG: