Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Travel    Kilauea Volcano threatens the "Big Island"
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Kilauea Volcano threatens the "Big Island"
 Login/Register

Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:
quote:
Just go with the flow?

That’s really “bad”!

Posts: 4998 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever... maybe everyone ought to start their own topic about THIS and every other NEWSWORTHY item?
I'll pass, but I did notice that the Spam King started a redundant volcano topic. This one is fine, over a month old but still quite active. An update on El Fuego in Guatemala, 70 dead and 200 missing. Tragic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 12461 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perro Pedorro:
quote:
Whatever... maybe everyone ought to start their own topic about THIS and every other NEWSWORTHY item?
I'll pass, but I did notice that the Spam King started a redundant volcano topic. This one is fine, over a month old but still quite active. An update on El Fuego in Guatemala, 70 dead and 200 missing. Tragic.

I was just fixing to say there was another volcano the other thread could have focused on, but then they aren’t citizens?

As for Guatemala, it indeed shows what happens with most volcanos. What a tragic loss of life there. Thanks for posting about it.

Posts: 4998 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perro Pedorro:
quote:
Thanks for the updates, Perro.

A bit more on Kilauea...
quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

~ I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth. ~

~ I know, you know, they're busy gathering proof. ~

~ Embrace my deceptions - learn how to bend, ~

~ Or these investigations will surely mean my end. ~

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
I like the redesign of your replies Karl. They are much easier to read.

Dix

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.....Mark Twain

Posts: 55714 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the shocking aerial footage, fountains can be seen spraying lava into the air as the Kilauea volcano continues to erupt.

The massive scale of the flow of molten rock can be seen from the air. Lava has demolished hundreds of homes on the tropical island paradise.

A statement on Sunday evening, local time, from the County of Hawaii Civil Defense warned about the continuing eruption from Kilauea.
quote:
@USGSVolcanoes

Kīlauea Message Mon, 11 Jun 2018 01:03:17 HST: We detected a small explosion at Kīlauea's summit at 12:46 AM HST on June 11. This is typical of past events, and residents downwind might experience minor ashfall as a result.

DJT's THEME SONG:

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
TWO NEW EXPLOSIONS ROCK HAWAII’S KILAUEA SUMMIT, MORE SHELTERS IN PROGRESS

Two new steam explosions rocked the summit of the Kilauea volcano on Hawaii’s Big Island Monday morning, the latest measuring a preliminary magnitude of 5.4 and producing a minor ash fall affecting some commuters.

These explosions have been happening frequently for weeks now, U.S. Geological Survey volcanologist Rick Hazlett told ABC News, but seismic activity at Kilauea’s summit is increasing.

“This is not stopping. It’s going on historically in excess of what we’ve seen before and there’s a lot of road damage from miles away,” Hazlett said, referring to cracks in the road in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park that have opened up from thousands of earthquakes over the past month.

That seismic activity causes the rim and walls of the summit crater Halema?uma?u to expand, sending rocks inside, which then create the large ash and steam explosions.

The lava flow has spread more than four-billion cubic feet of lava, according to USGS, which is enough to fill 45,400 Olympic-sized pools, and cover Manhattan Island 6.5 feet deep.

“We don’t see the end clearly in sight,” Hazlett added.

What’s next for evacuees?

Meanwhile, volunteers, including engineers with the National Guard, are working to get new micro-dwellings built for evacuees, many of which have been living at shelters for more than a month now.

Hawaii State Representative Joy San Buenaventura told ABC News the units are meant to be temporary accommodations for those left homeless by the scorching lava flows, while they look for permanent housing. The dwellings do not have bathrooms or other utilities, but there will be a separate building for a common kitchen, showers and restrooms.

SanBuenaventura says that it could be months before evacuees find permanent housing.

“At least during fires or hurricanes there’s land you can go back to,” she said. “You can’t rebuild on these lava zones. If lava has taken over your property, you can’t rebuild on that.”

With hurricane season fast approaching, getting these units up quickly is a priority.

“This provides security, this provides safety during hurricane season, this provides privacy and at least a sense of well-being that is absent when you are in a communal setting,” San Buenaventura says.

The first few families are slated to move into the dwellings on June 15, according to ABC affiliate KITV in Honolulu.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lava From Kilauea Boils Away Freshwater Lake In Hawaii

Green Lake was gone in hours.

Lava from Kilauea volcano spilled across highways and into Hawaii's Green Lake — a major source of freshwater on Hawaii's Big Island — and evaporated all the water, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The flow created a huge plume of steam as it hit the lake Saturday on its way toward the ocean, according to Hawaii County Civil Defense agency.

"The lava is quite hot, so it boiled away the water," Sally Sennert, a USGS volcanologist embedded at the Smithsonian's Global Volcanism Program, tells NPR.

"The lava flows, like a stream of water, are going to take the path of least resistance as they flow downhill," Sennert says, adding that she doubts the lake will return. "All I've heard is reports that lava has filled it up," she says.

The lava entered Green Lake at 10 a.m. local time and had evaporated all the water by 3 p.m., according to the USGS.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Hawaii's Kilauea volcano shooting green gems into the air?

Embedded in the lava still spewing some 130 feet into the air from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano are green crystals.

Called olivine, these minerals can turn Hawaiian beaches green, and it appears some of the green gems are raining down upon homes near the eruption or popping up near lava flows.

"Yes, the lava that is erupting now is very crystal-rich and it is quite possible that residents might be finding olivine," Cheryl Gansecki, a geologist at the University of Hawaii-Hilo that studies the composition of Kilauea's lava, said over email.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hawaii volcano update: Drone captures DRAMATIC DROP at Kilauea summit

US Geological Survey (USGS) drone captured the scenes showing the dramatic drop at the summit of Kilauea.

At its deepest point, the Halema’uma’u crater is 300m (1,000ft) below the crater rim.

Scientists report the crater at the volcano’s summit has nearly doubled in size since the eruption of Kilauea began on May 3.

The events at the summit have dramatically reshaped Halema’uma’u and the crater floor has subsided at least 100m (300ft) during the past couple of weeks.

The summit of Kilauea erupted early on Wednesday, showering communities near the volcano with ash, the Hawaii Civil Defense Agency said on Wednesday.

The summit explosion produced an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4 at 3.39am HST (2.39pm BST) and produced a plume which rose 7,000 to 8,000 ft above sea level.

The quake was followed by another explosive eruption at the summit and the accompanying ash plume rose to around 5,000 feet and drifted southwest bringing possible ash fall downwind, the USGS said.

The volcano has produced hundreds of moderate earthquakes since it first began erupting on May 3, caused by magma draining from inside the volcano and moving underground.

Along with the summit explosions, lava has been spewing out from a six-mile stretch of fissures, 25 miles down its east flank.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Firms as far as 90 MILES from Kilauea suffer from tourists' fears

Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano is affecting the west side of the Big Island where residents and businesses 90 miles away are dealing with vog and a significant downturn in tourism.

Kona-Kohala coast is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Hawaii but dust and gas from Kilauea has made some travellers cancel their holiday plans.

Jason Cohn, vice president of marketing for Kona-based Hawaii Forest & Trail tours said: “We have seen a very large number of cancellations.

“We are looking at a 20 to 30 percent reduction for the month of June.”

Local tour operators have also been receiving an increasing amount of calls from people who are planning to go on holiday on the Island but are worried about the volcanic activity.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dangerous, Golden 'Hair' Sprouts from Hawaii Volcano

Golden, sharp strands of so-called goddess hair are covering parts of Hawaii's Big Island. But what are these potentially dangerous threads — called Pele's hair — and where did they come from?

The mats of Pele's hair — a product of the ongoing eruption from Kilauea volcano — consist of thin glass fibers that form when gas bubbles within lava burst at the lava's surface, said Don Swanson, a research geologist at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.

"The skin of the bursting bubbles flies out, and some of the skin becomes stretched into these very long threads, sometime[s] as long as a couple of feet [0.6 meters] or so," Swanson told Live Science.

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

DJT's THEME SONG:

Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is it really the pictures, or is it the proximity to the lava that is illegal? (The link is slow to load, if ever!)

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Is it really the pictures, or is it the proximity to the lava that is illegal? (The link is slow to load, if ever!)
It is being in areas which have been closed to the public for safety's sake. Here's a bit from that link
quote:
TOURISTS visiting Hawaii’s Big Island could face imprisonment or huge fines if they are caught taking pictures of Mount Kilauea in lava zone areas which are closed off to the general public.
I might also note:

Many digital photos may have the LAT & LONG, Date & Time as well as other information embedded. So, even if not actually caught in such an area... photos posted online (FB pages for example) could be used to determine/verify violations. Of course; this applies not only to photos of lava in Hawaii, but to generally any situation... for example, proving one's whereabouts (alibi) IF suspected of committing some crime.

DJT's THEME SONG: