Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    100th SpaceX Falcon 9 launch and the 16th Starlink mission deploys another 60
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

100th SpaceX Falcon 9 launch and the 16th Starlink mission deploys another 60
 Login/Register 
Steadfast...
Picture of Ictalurus Punctatus
posted
...anther 60 Starlink satellites... AND this particular Falcon 9 booster lands on drone ship for its 7th recovery for reuse.

https://youtu.be/J442-ti-Dhg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Instead of seeking understanding, people are increasingly interpreting the actions of others in the least generous way possible and assuming the worst of intentions.

Posts: 19401 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
I was wrong when I criticized President Obama for killing the Space Shuttle program and encouraging the privatization of space exploration.

Instead of seeking understanding, people are increasingly interpreting the actions of others in the least generous way possible and assuming the worst of intentions.

Posts: 19401 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aavid
Picture of Holy Bhagworm
posted Hide Post
Whenever you realize you’re toast, you always bring up science fiction or some other bullsh8t. Everyone knows it, and now, so do you.

HB

Posts: 25603 | Location: 1 | Mbr Since: 08-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holy Bhagworm:
Whenever you realize you’re toast, you always bring up science fiction or some other bullsh8t. Everyone knows it, and now, so do you.

HB

Well SpaceX is neither science fiction nor some other bs. It’s really happening. And it’s really reducing the cost of launching stuff to orbit by a factor of ten. When the starship is operational the cost of launching will be cut to a factor of over 100. Serial number 8 had a successful static fire today at the Boca Chica site in Texas. Elon tweeted that the 15 kilometer test hop and return to launch site should happen next week.

They plan on being able to use several starship(s) to refuel another in orbit that would then be fully fueled for deep space missions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._development_history

The Starlink that the Falcon 9 rockets are launching will bring low latency broadband Internet access to any point on Earth with a simple dish receiver that need only be pointed at the sky. The profits from this will be enormous and will be used to fund the hundreds of starships for the commercialization of the resources of the moon, the asteroids and Mars.

You’re a doctor, a surgeon, essentially a scientist. I would have expected your career path was a result of a love for science from a very young age. I know I had a great fascination for science at a young age. We were growing up in exciting times where science fiction was becoming science reality in many areas.

And not just space stuff. The first successful heart transplant was done by Dr. Christian Barnard in 1968. Organ transplants save many people today from death or incapacity.

Today we face a global problem of our own making with rising greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. But the profit motive is bringing revolutionary change in energy and transportation today. Tesla’s are everywhere and they are causing the legacy automakers to begin to make meaningful plans to transition to EVs over the next few years.

And it’s not just electric vehicles that are being made by the T company. Solar power and battery storage are replacing coal generation plants and natural gas peaker plants and the rapid pace is amazing. Very soon, production out of the Buffalo NY Gigafactory (which makes solar products) will enable homes to be built (or re-roofed) with roof tiles that are solar panels and battery storage for uninterrupted power at night. And the roofing cost of solar tiles is about the same as regular roofing tiles. If someone needs as new roof or a new house, why would one NOT have a solar roof?

When Joe Biden was talking about the end of fossil fuels he was not talking about some fascist order to cease and desist. He was talking about the process of capitalism working in the transition that is happening in transportation and energy production. Capitalism WILL make using fossil fuels for energy about as quaint as burning logs for heat. That is the end of big oil.

I have to admit, in these areas I am encouraged by Biden’s election. I fully expect, and I will support, Biden to end subsidies to oil companies and divert that money to companies making EVs or as credits to buyers of EVs.

In five years T will be selling over 2 million cars a year (currently selling about 500,000 annually) and with other EVs selling from Ford and GM there will be real and meaningful change in the amount of atmospheric carbon loading. The Yerps are ending the sale of gas cars soon and I would expect a Biden administration to set the legislative machinery in place to have the USA follow. But I believe the natural economics of EVs will make them the desired product without having to force the situation legislatively because of simple, capitalistic economics. The cost of charging an EV is about 20% the cost of gas, they have no transmission drive train to service, there is no oil to change, and no radiator to service. And the battery lasts for a million miles. They are just about on par, price wise with gas cars today and just like TVs and computers, will only get cheaper to produce very quickly.

These are exciting times for a kid who watched in amazement and dreamed of the future as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took the first steps on the moon. And it should be so for you to, in my humble opinion.

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
By the way, one can get a new, luxurious Model S with a battery range of over 400 miles and a battery lifetime of a million miles for about the cost of a Mercedes or a BMW or top of the line Cadillac.

If one is shopping for a BMW like that, why would one NOT want that Model S?

Aavid
Picture of Holy Bhagworm
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many people told you what a bore you are. Probably way more than you care to realize.

HB

Posts: 25603 | Location: 1 | Mbr Since: 08-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Also, I know I’m not supposed to be talking about this stuff, but the topic IS news and the transition from fossil fuels IS happening which means it’s news and the company leading the transition (by a huge margin) should certainly be widely known and appreciated... not censored.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ictalurus Punctatus:
Also, I know I’m not supposed to be talking about this stuff, but the topic IS news and the transition from fossil fuels IS happening which means it’s news and the company leading the transition (by a huge margin) should certainly be widely known and appreciated... not censored.

Tesla iirc made news in that one of the models was not recommended I thought it was the S. Others are advertising ranges around 500 m or so. And we even seem to have a choice between two mini vans. That’s encouraging. Seems BMW even had a mini van size vehicle too.

Posts: 11494 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Sure, plenty of legacy automakers are trying to catch up. But they have a difficult problem that Tesla has already solved, and that’s battery production. Until they can make (or more likely buy from Tesla) two million battery packs a year, they aren’t catching up. They just can’t. All they can do is struggle to remain solvent. When big oil becomes little more than a cottage industry for plastics and collectors of antique autos the makers of gas cars will become cottage industries as well.

That was what Biden so clumsily tried to explain in that last debate. But, clumsy or not, he’s right.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Some aren’t catching up necessarily, they’re competing with Prius.

I thought this would be the year an EV that met my needs, a hybrid, would be available. It is but there are still a few more I’m hoping to see.

Posts: 11494 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Right now there’s the Fremont factory producing about 350,000 a year and Giga-2 in Shanghai producing at about 150,000 a year now but will ramp to 500,000 next year.

Giga Texas is being built and is in a race with Giga Berlin. When they begin production they will make about half a million a year and that will be by the end of next years. The cyber truck will be made in the Texas factory (of course) as well as model Ys and the semi truck.

They plan is to have a base price of $25,000.00 for a brand new Tesla by then. The truck will be about double that, though. But.. it’s made of stainless steel and will pretty much last forever. Plus it’s bullet proof.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Still doesn’t meet my needs. The truck we have now is in great shape as it’s mainly a tow vehicle, so that 2 reasons it can’t be replaced. The cars don’t meet my needs either. Right now I’m afraid that the minivans are getting too high to get into too. A ramp on the truck is a bit too steep, but I’m thinking it might we workable if it weren’t for some of the small parking lots!

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Wait for the model Y to come down in price. Sooner or later a gas car needs to be replaced. Wait long enough and an EV of one brand or another is what you’ll want because of the economy of owning an EV. Plus, Biden will likely take those oil subsidies and use them to enhance already existing financial incentives for buying an EV.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I’ll be replacing the van pretty soon. The truck runs on fuel and isn’t likely to need replacing even though it’s a 2002. The car is 2001.

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Rivian makes (well next year, you have to preorder now) an electric SUV but they’re much pricier than a T.

https://rivian.com/

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I see that the model y is not only an SUV, which are miserable, but it’s quite small. Simply not a fit for my needs.

Our EV will have to be a hybrid, and needs to be easy to get in and out of. And of course have more than ample storage area.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tesla's Model S is no longer recommended by Consumer Reports after problems with its touchscreen, suspension, and body hardware. Consumer Reports no longer recommends the Tesla Model S. The magazine said its readers reported issues with the sedan's suspension, electronics, body hardware, and more.

Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Tesla's Model S is no longer recommended by Consumer Reports after problems with its touchscreen, suspension, and body hardware. Consumer Reports no longer recommends the Tesla Model S. The magazine said its readers reported issues with the sedan's suspension, electronics, body hardware, and more.

I wonder how much oil money is behind that malarkey?

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ictalurus Punctatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:

I wonder how much oil money is behind that malarkey?

You’d have to interview all the people who complained about the reliability. As new vehicles, that’s not uncommon.