Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Who Is My Neighbor?
      Page: 1 2 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Who Is My Neighbor?
 Login/Register 
Aardent
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
Pedro,

FYI.

Everyone in the South knows what it means and Pawn is from Tennessee and certainly does.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-“porch-monkey-”

Dixie
Right. I know what it means. It’s something like “yard ape” or “lawn jockey.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guns Don’t Kill People

Ammunition Kills People

Posts: 30033 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
Welll, a lawn jockey is a statue. I figured when you saw it on a driveway it meant a home’s owners were mourning their s leaves and to strangers passing by the message was “we only look poor because our slaves are gone,” After childhood I saw them only at flea markets.

As a historian you may enjoy these histories of the lawn jockies.

I never heard of a yard ape.

Mama says that ****** is as ****** does...... Forrest

Posts: 55728 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same as yard jockey, except it is meant to be racist.

quote:
Lawn Jockeys - July 2008
Question
If you did your homework you would find that the lawn jockey is something that black people should be proud of and you wouldn't have lawn jockeys in a museum of racism. Next, you'll be saying that people are racist who have lawn jockeys.
-- Dublin Hayes, Dexter, Missouri

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/n...estion/2008/july.htm

Posts: 3599 | Location: TN | Mbr Since: 11-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pawn 10:
quote:

Same as yard jockey, except it is meant to be racist.

quote:
Lawn Jockeys - July 2008
Question
If you did your homework you would find that the lawn jockey is something that black people should be proud of and you wouldn't have lawn jockeys in a museum of racism. Next, you'll be saying that people are racist who have lawn jockeys.
-- Dublin Hayes, Dexter, Missouri

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/n...estion/2008/july.htm

Pawn,

Really?

You are quoting the Jim Crow Museum Of Racist History?

Erase anything that has been said and get real.

Do you honestly think that the black man of today is gonna be proud to be portrayed as a little black guy dressed in a jockey suit used as a concrete hitching post at the end of the White man’s driveway?

Dixie

Posts: 55728 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really?

Yep !
Where better can you find the other side of the historical story to help enable them to find the truth which has to be somewhere between the origin and today?

quote:
Do you honestly think that the black man of today is gonna be proud to be portrayed as a little black guy dressed in a jockey suit used as a concrete hitching post ( ??? ) at the end of the White man’s driveway? ( ??? )

Not as you rewrite history. NO!
You might want to try and read the origin of the term!

Posts: 3599 | Location: TN | Mbr Since: 11-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Really?

Yep !
Where better can you find the other side of the historical story to help enable you to find the truth which has to be somewhere between the origin and today.?

quote:
Do you honestly think that the black man of today is gonna be proud to be portrayed as a little black guy dressed in a jockey suit used as a concrete hitching post ( ??? ) at the end of the White man’s driveway? ( ??? )

You might want to try and read the origin of the term!

I know the origins. The footman on the plantation and the black jockeys. I had already linked to that.

So you want to suggest to a black man that he should be proud to be a house N instead of a field N? That was the pecking order.

“I’m so proud to be Massa’s lawn jockey! Ah‘m so lucky to be a slave.”

Get real.

My God can this get any crazier?

Thud!  :thud:

Gotta get some air.

Enthusiast...
posted Hide Post
In what time period was your origin from as your link was written in 2017
Are your definitions from the 1800 or the rewritten definitions of the 1900s?

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:

It matters not.

I repeat:

Do you honestly think that the black man of today is gonna be proud to be portrayed as a little black guy dressed in a jockey suit used as a concrete hitching post at the end of the White man’s driveway?

It matters NOT what whites think or how whites feel even if motivations are pure. What needs to be considered - first and foremost — is how little black lawn jockeys might make a black person feel.

Got that?

Please chew on it a while.

Thank you.

Enthusiast...
posted Hide Post
quote:

I already answered that!
What part of this don't you understand ?
quote:

Yes, if they know the proper history behind the lawn jockey.
but I will have to correct you rewritten definition of the lawn jockey.
Re : “portrayed as a little black guy” The only reason they were portrayed as “ LITTLE “ is because they were made of sold cast iron which is very heave, so, if they were made full size, it would take an army to move them and that much weight was not necessary to hold a horses.

“ dressed in a jockey suit used as a concrete hitching post “
The original lawn jockeys were not in riding jockey clothing they were is hostler/groom's clothing. Those that are not are reproductions and/or repainted. And as I said, they were not made of concrete. Only the block they sat on was.

“ hitching post at the end of the White man’s driveway? “
Yes they were at the end of the property owners “ ROAD “, but at the end closest to the house with a hostler waiting to receive them and their horses.

Now got the picture?
So in conclusion:
The yard jockey is/was not racist, any other then any other item/implement of the same time period. Unless of course one uses the today's Liberal definition.

By the way, my neighbor has a lawn jockey. I'll get you a pic.

Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
quote:

It matters not.

I repeat:

It matters NOT what whites think or how whites feel even if motivations are pure. What needs to be considered - first and foremost — is how little black lawn jockeys might make a black person feel.

Got that?

Please chew on it a while.

Thank you.

Indeed. I've never seen a white lawn jockey.

Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a liar.
Cruz called Trump a liar. I believe them both.

Posts: 48819 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Indeed. I've never seen a white lawn jockey.

And there you have it.

That should have been these dimwit's first clue.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4056 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
posted Hide Post
Why are you azzholes talking about a “ WHITE “ lawn jockey ?

Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone in the South knows what it means and Pawn is from Tennessee and certainly does.

I'm not from the South and have spent perhaps a total of five days there, so plead ignorance and appreciate the tip. Keep 'em coming.

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 12464 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
First we have to figure out which is the “end” of the driveway. Is it where the driveway meets the road or where the driveway meets the house?

Dix