Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    If PA votes are sent to legislators ...
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

If PA votes are sent to legislators ...
 Login/Register 
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted
If the legislature in Pa somehow overrides the election outcome does that mean we can revote for them too?

Posts: 11494 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11494 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aardent
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
I don’t think that the Pennsylvania legislature will try to appoint a slate of Trump electors. If they did so, the Democratic Governor would veto the bill.

Of course, the Republicans will argue that the Governor cannot veto the bill because the U.S. Constitution reposes plenary power in the legislature. But there is a key Supreme Court precedent Smiley v. Holm 285 U.S. 355 (1932), that indicates that the Governor could veto such a bill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trump is now officially the President-reject.

Posts: 32441 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
We need to get Gus on the case...post haste.

“Life isn’t fair but the government should be.”...Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

Posts: 60821 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aardent
Picture of Victor Laszlo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
If the legislature in Pa somehow overrides the election outcome does that mean we can revote for them too?

I can’t believe this is an actual topic on a bb in this country.

“ Fox News has done to our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

Posts: 31874 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Did anyone hear Trump is flying some Michigan lawmakers/Republicans/whoever to Washington to meet with him? I'm not sure if it's Republicans from the Wayne County Board of Canvassers who have now decided they want to rescind their decision to certify the vote, or if it's state legislators.

Election tampering right before our eyes!

From CNN:
quote:

But then Wednesday, Palmer and Republican board member William Hartmann sent sworn affidavits to the county's attorney disavowing their previous votes to certify. But given that the deadline for county certification has already passed, it is unclear what legal remedy or legitimate argument these two Republican officials can make to formally rescind their votes and undo the certification.

"There is no legal mechanism for them to rescind their vote," said Michigan Secretary of State spokeswoman Tracy Wimmer. "Their job is done and the next step in the process is for the Board of State Canvassers to meet and certify."

The next step in Michigan is for the state's Board of Canvassers to certify the election results, which is scheduled for next week. That board includes two Republicans and two Democrats, and the spouse of one of the Republican board members, Norm Shinkle, filed an affidavit supporting the Trump campaign's Michigan lawsuit.

Asked by the Post if she had discussed the presidential vote count with Trump, Palmer said: "It's hard for me to describe. There was a lot of adrenalin and stress going on. There were general comments about different states but we really didn't discuss the details of the certification. ... It was not pressure. It was genuine concern for my safety."

CNN has reached out to Palmer and Hartmann about the calls.

Democratic Vice Chair Jonathan Kinloch said on Thursday that the county certification date of November 17 is a definitive deadline and that board members' votes cannot be changed after the fact. The GOP officials sent their affidavits to the county, but the action stops there. They have not filed any lawsuits to try to force the county to call a new meeting.

"There is no further action that can be taken in regards to the certification," Kinloch told CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19...lts-trump/index.html

Still looking to find out who, if anybody, is flying to Washington.

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 44694 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Amy Gardner of the Washington Post tweeted:
quote:
More Michigan news: Lawmakers are flying into DC to meet with President Trump tomorrow, at his request.

https://twitter.com/AmyEGardne.../1329468989983125505

Someone in the comments noted: "Trump wants to promise them things, but he can't do that in writing, so it has to be face to face. This is how mafioso wield power."

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 44694 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ImPeach:

Amen to that! Right now we just need to stop Rudy at the border for not having a COVID test! And certainly not quarantining!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Laszlo:
quote:

I can’t believe this is an actual topic on a bb in this country.

You and me both! I’d seen that the governor could veto, but love that Gus gave us the case.

If they just throw out the late arriving votes, ignoring that they were allowed 3 days late or claiming that change was invalid, and all the cured ballots, even though that was legally done; from the numbers I’ve seen Biden still wins. This is so dumb but then ......

Aardent
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll do it for half price: $10,000 a day.

Posts: 32441 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Rodgers:
quote:

LOL!   :lol:

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Rodgers:
quote:

Yep, peanuts to what they’re denying!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Dee:
Did anyone hear Trump is flying some Michigan lawmakers/Republicans/whoever to Washington to meet with him? I'm not sure if it's Republicans from the Wayne County Board of Canvassers who have now decided they want to rescind their decision to certify the vote, or if it's state legislators.

Election tampering right before our eyes!

From CNN:
quote:

But then Wednesday, Palmer and Republican board member William Hartmann sent sworn affidavits to the county's attorney disavowing their previous votes to certify. But given that the deadline for county certification has already passed, it is unclear what legal remedy or legitimate argument these two Republican officials can make to formally rescind their votes and undo the certification.

"There is no legal mechanism for them to rescind their vote," said Michigan Secretary of State spokeswoman Tracy Wimmer. "Their job is done and the next step in the process is for the Board of State Canvassers to meet and certify."

The next step in Michigan is for the state's Board of Canvassers to certify the election results, which is scheduled for next week. That board includes two Republicans and two Democrats, and the spouse of one of the Republican board members, Norm Shinkle, filed an affidavit supporting the Trump campaign's Michigan lawsuit.

Asked by the Post if she had discussed the presidential vote count with Trump, Palmer said: "It's hard for me to describe. There was a lot of adrenalin and stress going on. There were general comments about different states but we really didn't discuss the details of the certification. ... It was not pressure. It was genuine concern for my safety."

CNN has reached out to Palmer and Hartmann about the calls.

Democratic Vice Chair Jonathan Kinloch said on Thursday that the county certification date of November 17 is a definitive deadline and that board members' votes cannot be changed after the fact. The GOP officials sent their affidavits to the county, but the action stops there. They have not filed any lawsuits to try to force the county to call a new meeting.

"There is no further action that can be taken in regards to the certification," Kinloch told CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19...lts-trump/index.html

Still looking to find out who, if anybody, is flying to Washington.

quote:
Michigan’s electoral margin is the widest of any state where Trump’s team is contesting the results, though its vote certification process was thrust into the national spotlight Tuesday night when the four-member canvass board of Wayne County, a Democratic stronghold that includes Detroit, refused to certify the election results after a 2-2 deadlock along partisan lines.
The two Republican members of the panel said the results should not be certified over slight discrepancies in parts of Wayne County where Biden won big. However, those same issues did not prevent them from certifying election results in the 2016 general election or 2020 primary race or in other areas in the county where Biden won by narrower margins.
The board later that night reversed course and unanimously certified the election results amid an avalanche of criticism, but the two Republican members later submitted affidavits alleging they were bullied into doing so.
Trump later reportedly spoke with Monica Palmer, one of the GOP members of the panel.
The Trump team withdrew a lawsuit in Michigan after the release of the affidavits. Officials have told news outlets that the vote to unanimously certify the election results in Wayne County remains final.

Some names are listed

https://apple.news/AobAGcxSQSoi9G2FVAW0o5w

As I read The Hill article, the vote is not reversible.

Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Right. What I'm not clear on is who, if anybody, is going to Washington to see Trump. I don't think these two qualify as lawmakers, unless this Board of Canvassers thing is some unpaid side job. But I assume he wants to bully state legislators.

But I don't know why legislators would go. Besides the impropriety of the whole thing, there is also COVID. Maybe Trump wants to threaten to breathe on them if they don't name Trump electors.

Oh I see -- you were pointing to a link. Some legislators, I guess. I wonder if they'll feel like they're re-enacting the trip of the Jim Jones cult to Guyana.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t sure who the 2 listed were!

I was however intrigued that the 2 that were bullied to change their votes are going to meet with Trump ...... no bullying there, right? ROTF   :rotf:

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Michigan Democratic Party panned the planned meeting at the White House, citing reports that state Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey (R) and state House Speaker Lee Chatfield (R) are attending.
“It is telling that Michigan GOP legislative leaders Mike Shirkey and Lee Chatfield are jetting off to Washington DC this week to meet with President Trump. They are more focused on continuing the GOP smoke and mirrors show designed to hide Trump's humiliating defeat than taking care of the actual problems impacting Michiganders,” the party said in a statement on behalf of Chair Lavora Barnes.

Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wasn’t sure who the 2 listed were!

I was however intrigued that the 2 that were bullied to change their votes are going to meet with Trump ...... no bullying there, right? ROTF   :rotf:

So are they legislators as well as being members of the Board of Canvassers? Or maybe they're just going for the sake of going.

Their names are Monica Palmer and William Hartmann(?), btw. I don't see them listed as going.

Btw, I'm hearing on the tube it's just the state Senate Majority Leader Shirkey and the state House Speaker Chatfield who are attending. Scandalous. Shameless.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump’s campaign sued Boockvar and a group of counties won by Biden, alleging that they had violated the campaign’s constitutional rights by allowing voters to “cure” administrative errors on their mail ballots.
Brann wrote on Saturday that Trump’s attorneys had haphazardly stitched this allegation together “like Frankenstein’s Monster” in an attempt to avoid unfavorable legal precedent.
In trying to depict “ballot curing” as illegal, Trump’s attorneys misstated a decision by Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court. Brann noted in his order on Saturday that the court had in fact “declined to explicitly answer whether such a policy is necessarily forbidden.”
The president’s campaign sued together with two voters from counties that Trump won, both of whom had their mail ballots rejected because of administrative errors.
Brann wrote on Saturday that throwing out the election result would not reinstate the pair’s right to vote. “It would simply deny more than 6.8 million people their right to vote,” the judge wrote.
Trump’s lawsuit initially included formal allegations that the defendants had also violated the campaign’s rights by preventing Republican observers from watching votes being counted, which the defendants denied.
Those claims were scrapped in a revised version of the suit filed on Sunday. Giuliani and other Trump advisers initially denied that the claims had been dropped, then said they had “strategically decided to restructure” the suit, before finally saying in court filings that the claims were removed by mistake.
Giuliani asked the judge for permission to restore the deleted claims about count observers in a proposed third version of the lawsuit, but his request was dismissed by Brann along with the rest of the campaign’s legal effort.

Aardent
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
quote:
“With today’s decision by Judge Matthew Brann, a longtime conservative Republican whom I know to be a fair and unbiased jurist, to dismiss the Trump campaign’s lawsuit, President Trump has exhausted all plausible legal options to challenge the result of the presidential race in Pennsylvania,” Senator Toomey said in a statement.

Senator Toomey’s statement comes after Judge Brann dismissed a lawsuit from the Trump campaign that sought to delay the certification of the election results in Pennsylvania. 

“I congratulate President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on their victory,” Senator Toomey’s statement said. “They are both dedicated public servants and I will be praying for them and for our country. Unsurprisingly, I have significant policy disagreements with the President-elect. However, as I have done throughout my career, I will seek to work across the aisle with him and his administration, especially on those areas where we may agree, such as continuing our efforts to combat COVID-19, breaking down barriers to expanding trade, supporting the men and women of our armed forces, and keeping guns out of the hands of violent criminals and the dangerously mentally ill.

Pittsburgh CBS

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I was just reading that Trump has said that Georgia’s Sec of State is a Rino because he won’t go along with Trump.

I’m now wondering whether it’s going to be possible to brand the Republican Party as the party that won’t follow laws! Meanwhile lives are being threatened for have scruples, what have we become?

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump threatens more lawsuits, but court challenges are hitting dead ends
Pennsylvania officials asked a federal appeals court Tuesday to put an end to the Trump campaign's legal challenge of an election that has now been certified, and in their view, resolved.
"The Trump Campaign's present demand to set aside millions (or "potentially tens of thousands") of lawfully cast ballots -- without a single plausible factual allegation to back up this extraordinary request -- should be swiftly rejected," says the new filing on behalf of Allegheny, Philadelphia, Chester and Montgomery counties.
The case before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals appears to be on a fast track, with parties given just 24 hours to submit their arguments.
And if the ruling goes against the president -- as more than two dozen rulings have to date -- Democrats believe that one of the few remaining doors for Trump to contest the 2020 presidential contest will be shut.